4.1
Other Snacks & Cookies:
All Natural Snacks, Cholesterol Free, No Trans Fat, Potato Chips, Salted, Sugar Free Snacks, Trans-fat free
Lay's

Lay's - Classic Potato Chips

Pros

• Great tasting (3)

Cons

• Unhealthy (3)

• Snack (3)
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Quality oriented (4)
    • Personal (4)

Abandon hope all ye who enter here? MAYBE not!

Like most of us, I have come to look askance at the "Snacks" aisle at the supermarket or convenience store.  I realize too well that a person like me has no business shopping in that part of the store unless I am buying a contribution to bring to a party.  Instead of "Snacks" there should be a sign over that aisle which proclaims ***"Abandon hope, all ye who enter here!"***  As a matter of fact I rarely ever enter there as the only attempts at healthier products seem to have resulted in low-fat overtures which seem hard enough to pry open windows or those dreadful things booby-trapped with the deadly Olestra that I have read so much about.  All of this not withstanding, there I was at the 7/11 the other night with a taste for a little something to go with that leftover turkey sandwich at home.  What happened next may not have been pretty to watch but I won't lie to you -- I oh Lord picked up a 2-1/2 oz. package of ***Lay's Classic Potato Chips*** and actually took them home with me.

**LATER, AT THE SCENE OF THE CRIME .....**

There I was at home, my sandwich and **diet (!)** coke lined up in front of me, but first I decided to "bite down on the bullet" and read the label information for the potato chips.  As it turns out, I was in for a surprise.

**STATS:**

A little less than half the bag (one ounce) is supposed to be a single serving and here is the first surprise -- even if you love potato chips as much as I do, a half a bag of these is really enough!  (The bag is is easy to roll shut and secure with a little Scotch tape for another sandwich later on or could easily be shared with another person.)  The single one-ounce serving contains 150 calories with 90 calories from fat.  There are 10 grams Total Fat, one gram Saturated Fat, 4.5 grams each Polyunsaturated and Monounsaturated Fats, zero each Trans Fat, Cholesterol and Sugars, 180 mg. Sodium, 330 mg. Potassium, 15 grams Total Carbs, one gram Dietary Fiber, and 2 grams Protein.  That isn't all though, a single one-ounce serving of ***Lay's Classic Potato Chips*** is also packing 2% (D.V.) each Iron and Thiamin, 4% each Vitamin B6, Phosphorus and Magnesium, 6% each Vitamin E and Niacin, and 10% Vitamin C.

**MY VIEWPOINT:**

Should we be eating things like this every day (even if we stick to a single serving)?  No, nor were salted snacks meant to be the main thrust of a daily diet.  For an occasional treat, however, we could do worse than ***Lay's Classic Potato Chips***.  The "Snacks" aisle may still be dangerous territory for most of us but not it appears totally without hope after all.

Lays potato chips are a crunchy snack ready for you anytime

Lays potatoe chips are the classic potato chip in America.  I'm pretty sure that everyone grew up on them.  They are salty and have a nice crunch to them both in your mouth and in your ear.  The chips are quite expensive for the amount that you get in the bag.  I mean I know you have to leave air in the bag to make sure that the chips do not get broken, but they put way too much air in there.  I feel like I'm paying for everything that goes with it, and not just the food in there.  I do not buy them very often because they are so expensive and because they are not good for you.  They are just empty calories, fat, and sodium that does not help your body in any way.  They don't even fill you up and since they have so many chemicals in them, you are constantly addicted to their salty taste.  I try just to stay away from them if possible.  I mean really what am I gaining from these potato chips.  Lays potato chips are an expensive unhealthy snack that America loves.

Can't get enough

from Browns Mills NJ

About Me Quality Oriented

Pros

• Easy To Prepare
  • Great Tasting
  • Quick preparation

Cons

• Unhealthy

• Break Room
  • Meetings
  • Special Occasions

Comments about Lay's - Classic Potato Chips:

OK so one con theyre not the healthiest snack in the world but who cares. They taste great. they always hit the spot. they are like a best friend who's always there and never lets you down. Constantly coming up with new flavors and the best part is the company asks for your help in finding those new flavors. So want something that will never let you down go lays

The Classics

from Riverdale, GA

About Me Quality Oriented

Pros

• Great Tasting
  • No/Little Mess

Cons

• Unhealthy

• Break Room

Comments about Lay's - Classic Potato Chips:

The classics will never let you down when you are feeling snacky. :)

from North Carolina

About Me Quality Oriented

Pros

• Easy To Prepare
  • Great Tasting
  • Healthy
  • No/Little Mess
  • Quick preparation

Comments about Lay's - Classic Potato Chips:

Lay's Classic Potato Chips are a great little snack for anyone. They are crispy yellow potato chips that come in a bright yellow snack size bag. They are classic so they have no other flavoring except salt. At only 160 calories and zero cholesterol they are a light snack. Compared to their other flavors such as "Sour Cream & Onion" they are very subtle although they break quite easily. I would not recommend dipping them because dipping them because of how rigid they are, but this makes them easier to eat by themselves. For anyone sensitive hard foods, lay's being so thin would be a great snack.They would be great for anyone looking for snacks to hand out at a soccer game or even just an afternoon snack. I would give them a 7/10 for being what they are, just a simple plain potato chip.

Quality downgraded

from Haryana

Pros

Cons

• Messy
      • Tastes Bad
      • Unhealthy

Comments about Lay's - Classic Potato Chips:

The quality of lays classic salted has been downgraded to such an extent that even non branded chips would taste thousands times better than this. It was nice earlier but don't know what has happened to them now. Really disappointed. Would never ever go for lays now , nor will recommend to anyone. Seems like they are using cheapest and worst quality of potatoes. It tastes pathetic.

• Personal

Lays are my favorite plain potato chip.

Comments about Lay's - Classic Potato Chips:

When I want a potato chip with the original flavor I pick Lays. They are light and not greasy. They have just the right amount of salt. I can often find them on sale at the grocery store.. I serve them often when I have company because I know everyone will like the original flavor. When I serve other flavors of potato chips to guests I never know whether they will like the flavor. Lays chips are great with sandwiches. I have served them to guests when barbecue is on the menu and they are always a hit. The are also great at parties with dip. Because they are original flavor they don't overpower the dip. If they are sealed well after the bag is open they tend to keep their freshness for quite a while along they usually don't last very long. It's hard to just eat a handful. I buy the small lunch size bags for my grandchildren. They like to eat them at lunch and they travel well in the car for a snack.

from Georgia

Comments about Lay's - Classic Potato Chips:

I absolutely love Lay's - Classic Potato Chips! I love the taste of the chips and how they are all-natural. I eat Lay's - Classic Potato Chips with luncheon meat and they really compliment the meal. I love the crisp of the chips and the amount of salt that is sprinkled over them. They are just perfect! These chips are not too salty and have no cholesterol or sugar. I love Lay's - Classic Potato Chips and I highly recommend you have them at parties or get-togethes. My guests love when I bring out a bowl of these chips with ranch dip.

Lay's Classic Potato Chips

Comments about Lay's - Classic Potato Chips:

I wouldn't say I'm an expert on chips but I do know what I like and Lay's Classic Potato Chips would not be the packet I place into my shopping trolley unless there were limited alternatives to choose from. They're do-able but I don't consider my money well spent on them. Firstly, I always find myself disappointed at the lack of chips inside the package. I realise, of course, that the manufacturer has to place air in the package to protect the chips from getting crushed, however this only leads to the implication that the package is totally full of chips, when apparently it is not! Second, in my experience, the chips are usually somewhat crushed anyway, in spite of the pre-packaged air! Thirdly, there are so many fancy, and somewhat unusual, flavors out there these days that I usually end up a little disappointed with the lack of flavor in Lay's Classic. They have a degree of salt, but salt alone doesn't really work for me any more. Lastly, they are relatively thin chips (which is perhaps why they break so easily). Because of the lack of flavor I would tend to suggest that they would work best together with a dip but really, they are too thin to sustain any scooping!

They call it "classic" for a reason.

Comments about Lay's - Classic Potato Chips:

Lay's Classic Potato Chips are everything that potato chips should be. They are crunchy and salty and with just the right amount of grease. The biggest problem with these chips (in addition to being high in fat and sodium) is that they disappear way too fast because they are so habit-forming. Since they are a plain chip, they also work well with dips because they don't overpower the flavor of the dip.

There's a reason there slogan is what it is.

Comments about Lay's - Classic Potato Chips:

If you ever look at the back of a Lay's Potato Chip bag it has there infamous saying "Bet You Can't Eat Just One" and that is most definitely an accurate slogan. These chips are delicious and they go great with almost every kind of dip. The Lays Classic Potato Chips are always a winning option in my house and they always have nice crunch about them. They taste fresh and while they are crunchy, they aren't hard to chew. The bag is always filled pretty well and there are usually a minimal amount of crumbs in the bottom of the bag. I would most definitely recommend these chips!

Salty crunchy delight

Comments about Lay's - Classic Potato Chips:

Lay's Classic Potato Chips take me way back to when I was a kid. I loved these chips. I could eat them with dip or without any dip. In my house we add seasoning salt to them. They have a great salty taste and a light crunch. The only thing that disappoints me is that almost half of the bag is filled with air. Each bag is pretty costly so when you open a bag and it is not full of chips I feel as if I was ripped off.