3.8
Lay's - Baked Lays Potato Crisps

Lay's - Baked Lays Potato Crisps

3.8

Low Fat Crunchfest!

I've been noshing on Baked Lays products ever since they were first introduced. I seldom buy them anymore because the husband and I will polish off the largest bag available in no time flat. ;) While fewer in calories and less in fat grams, these baked chips still cause a bit of gastrointestinal difficulty if you overindulge.

And if it's it's a crunchfest, you can be certain I'll overindulge.

These crisps haven't the same texture as a regular (high-fat) chip, so buy them knowing this right up if you're a regular potato chip fan. If you simply can't stand them, I'm pretty sure you can find a neighbor or friend who will happily relieve you of the remainder of the bag. It's a very light and lightly salted **crisp**, which reminds me a bit of Pringles low-fat variety. The flavor is excellent, regardless of your texture preference.

While I strongly favor sourdough pretzels or low-fat triscuits as my "snack, Baked Lays Products offers a nice once-in-a-while change up.

Tastes like eating little pieces of Mr. Potatohead.

I certainly have other choices when it comes to snack foods. With a whole school storage closet full of tried and true junk food I don't know what possessed me to try Baked Lays "potato chips." I remember thinking, "Well, at least they can't be as bad as Pringles," as I opened the bag and reached in.

What was this?

Even the sight of these nonfood-like chips in my hand was very unsettling. They looked like broken pieces of factory rejected Pringles or something. Eating a few confirmed my first impressions. These things are not potato chips. They're not even edible. No flavor, terrible texture, an experiment gone terribly wrong and left to the marketing team to mop up. I don't care HOW healthy they are, I'll never be eating Baked Lays again. Given a worst case scenario, stranded on an island with nothing to eat but a crate of Baked Lays, I would probably starve to death.

I would not have given this product any stars at all but I was afraid it would look like an oversight. Many of the kids seem to agree with me. They avoid these things and ask for Sun Chips or applesauce instead.

Come on, Lays.

Horrible after affects

Comments about Lay's - Baked Lays Potato Crisps:

We tried Lay's baked potato chips today for the first time. They are very similar to Pringles in texture and taste. My grandson and I both liked the taste. I was glad to find a "healthier" alternative to fried chips. Unfortunately about 15 to 30 minutes after eating them I started having horrible stomach cramping and had to pull over to use a restroom. These cramps and digestive upset went on for over an hour and a 1/2. I didn't say anything to my grandson so not to cloud his opinion of them. Later in the evening he started complaining of stomach cramping also. So there is just something that does not agree with us in these chips. This makes me sad, I wanted them to be good & healthy. They tasted OK,
but our stomachs can't handle them.

Lay's Baked Potato Crisps

Comments about Lay's - Baked Lays Potato Crisps:

Let me start by saying that not everyone is going to like these chips. They are Not meant to be regular potato chips, they are not fried in oil and bathed in salt. These are shaped differently than usual chips, they are flat and not greasy at all. They do have salt on them, and honestly I think sometimes they go overboard on the salt. For a healthy alternative to chips, they should go easy on the salt. These are very crunchy and light compared to fried chips. They are an acquired taste, but I really like them. They are much lower in fat, which is good if you are watching your cholesterol. The way they are shaped is unique too, they are like large triangles, and very flat, no wavy or round chips here. They are great for dipping. I wish they would bring back the BBQ flavored ones, they were amazing. So if you are looking for a light, crispy substitute to regular potato chips, these are for you!

Acceptable but not as good as regular chips

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about Lay's - Baked Lays Potato Crisps:

I know that healthy is better than oily. I can just hear a doctor telling a patient with medical issues that when he is being examined every year. Especially a patient who is overweight, diabetic, hypertensive, and cardiac. And anyone who is seeking a healthier lifestyle. We offer these chips to our patients in our hospital on he cardiac units when they want a treat and we hope they will not notice the difference. These chips are bakes and are less oily and less salty. But to me, healthy eating like this seems to sacrifice too many of the tastes we crave. These potato chips simply do not have the same texture and taste as regular potato chips. They just do not crunch the same way and the lack of oil makes them have far less flavor. They even seem less salty to me. They still taste like the potatoes that I love, so I will still eat these if offered them, because I can never turn down a potato. But the same decadent salty oily enjoyment will not be there for me.

Delicious and not greasy

Comments about Lay's - Baked Lays Potato Crisps:

Baked Lays Potato Crisps have a great taste! They have the same great taste as a regular potato chip, however they are not greasy. I am not sure if they are would be considered healthy, but I think they are a much healthier way to enjoy potato chips! Baked Lays Potato Crisps are not something I buy often, because they are a little expensive compared to other brands.

They're gross!

Comments about Lay's - Baked Lays Potato Crisps:

I am a huge fan of chips and I normally like Lay's brand. However, the Lay's Baked Potato Crisps are just downright gross! They hardly taste like potatoes and have practically no salt on them. The texture is like eating thin cardboard. The baking completely takes away any good taste that they had. I do not recommend them!

Baked potato chips made by Lays.

Comments about Lay's - Baked Lays Potato Crisps:

Lay's Baked Potato Crisps taste pretty good. They remind me a little of a Pringle chip. However, these chips will seriously mess up your digestive system if you eat too many. More than a handful of and you will have stomach cramping, running for the bathroom regret. They are not worth the risk!

Another baked snack that I prefer to its fried ancestor

Comments about Lay's - Baked Lays Potato Crisps:

Baked Lays are pretty good. Like the baked Cheetos I reviewed, I kind of prefer them to the original product. They're crunchier, lighter, and don't give you as much of that I just pigged out on greasy, nasty snacks feeling. There's just something about the added crunchiness that makes them even more gratifying in a way, at least for me.

Healthier Choice!

Comments about Lay's - Baked Lays Potato Crisps:

Lays Baked Potato chips are very good and crunchy. I absolutely love the taste of them. I think that they are a healthier choice compared to the regular lays potato chips. They have less calories and such. I buy these all the time for a household snack and my family loves them.

Healthy potato chips???

Comments about Lay's - Baked Lays Potato Crisps:

I recently discovered that my favorite snacks come baked. I think it is a wonderful thing. Takes out a lot of the sodium and trans fats that frying can add to chips. They taste better too. They do not taste greasy when you bite into them like the ones that are fried do. My little sister told me that they are serving these chips to the kids at her school to show them how easy it is to make health eating choices. I think that is a great thing. If you come to my house you will definitely find these in my pantry. I can have a few as a snack to curb the craving without going over board and ruining my whole day. I would recommend switching from your current fried potato chips to these. They taste better and they are better for you and your family. The little bags are perfect for packing lunches or just for a after school snack. Cheetos come baked too and they are really good. They seem to be puffier, even the crunchy ones look bigger. They are also less greasy.

very yummy

from Huntington, IN

Comments about Lay's - Baked Lays Potato Crisps:

I am not a big potato chip eater so when these chips were introduced I was a bit sceptical of trying them afraid of them having too much salt on them like other brands do but then when I took te first bite I fell in love with them and from that point on they have been the only potato chips I buy.  I am always faced with a delimma when I go to Subway since they offer both the Lays and Sun Chips brands...haha...but no matter which choice I make I know it's a healthier one considering all the other options out there on the market.