Other Depression Medicines:
Lamictal
Lamictal Depression Medicine

Lamictal Depression Medicine

My doctor must not know what hes doing if he put me on Lamictal.

from Lansing, MI

Comments about Lamictal Depression Medicine:

My doctor must not know what hes doing if he put me on Lamictal. I suffer from many different ailments, and I am on many different types of medications due to my ailments, and a chronic illness, also. Well, I was prescribed this Lamictal, and my Dr. put me on 200mg, all at once. I never thought anything of it, hes the Doc. he knows what hes doing right?

Wrong! I take Lamictal for seizures, it is also prescribed to patience with bipolar disorder. Anyway, a few weeks ago, I woke up and I had bruises on each leg, from my buttocks, to my ankles. I was in so much pain I could not stand it, my legs were swollen , almost like a water retention. Well, I contacted my Dr., and he told me to get into the hospital to be checked out for blood clots. Well, I went, no blood clots, but the doctors there conversed with my doctor and my doc said that he had thought that it was the Lyrica for the Fibromyalgia that was causing the bruiseing. Well, a few months went by without the Lyrica, and then the Lamictal was raised in mg's from 200mg to 500mg. It almost killed me. Literally. I had gotten this rash all over my body, had fever, headache, swollen lymph glands, severe fatigue and weakness, & severe muscle pain. Come to find out after being in the hospital for almost 2 months, trying to recover from the full body rash, among everything else, the Doc, at the hospital had requested a list of all the meds that i had been takeing. He just about flipped out. I should not be taking Lamictal with, 3 different types of medications that i am taking, that is what caused such severe reactions. The reason for the serious skin rash was due to my Doc. raising the mgs. to quickly, he was supposed to gradually work the mgs. up. Needless to say, I no longer take Lamictal, and I no longer see that Doc. anymore I found a new one. But anyway, everyone should be careful with prescription meds., having them mix with the wrong types of other meds, can cause severe problems, and sometimes death. So please, to all of you that will read my review, talk to your doctor, your pharmasist, or another medical provider, if you are unsure about mixing meds.

Thanks for listing to me bablle,

This stuff probably saved my marriage

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about Lamictal Depression Medicine:

Despite being on (a lot of) antidepressants, I never quite seemed stable. I topped out on medications easily and I still had erratic mood swings and other difficulties.

Perhaps the worst was that, when arguing with my husband, I couldn't let things go. I had this little voice of logic in the back of my head telling me that the argument was over, that he had relented and/or we had reached a compromise of some sort. Just let it go, it pleaded. But I couldn't. I kept picking and picking until my husband was exasperated and begging me to stop -- or to at least tell him what he could say to get me to stop. And I didn't know. I just couldn't leave it alone and would rehash things over and over until I could summon up the willpower to stop. And that didn't come quickly.

Those times were terrifying, along with some major freakouts over what would turn out to be nothing, because I could see myself from a third party perspective. I knew I sounded crazy. I knew I needed to drop subjects. But I felt unable to. I would just keep pushing until we were both nearly in tears.

I'd also have freak outs where I thought something was a huge issue -- but it would be tiny. I'm not talking about "You forgot to buy milk." But it would be something really small, really unimportant in the grand scheme of things. These were so unimportant, I literally can't think of an example. I remember arguing in the grocery store with him about something... maybe I felt he'd been dismissive of me. And he probably had, a little. It happens in relationships from time to time. And it's not okay. But I would blow it up to epic proportions to the point where I was seething and raging and (if we weren't in public) screaming at the top of my lungs. And it would seem SO important and SO vital to the survival of our relationship. He'd try to tell me I was blowing it out of proportion (I have tried, so many times, to explain what a terrible idea that is) which would just make it worse.

But an hour, two hours later, I would be so mortified. I would see what he was saying -- how it was a small blip on the radar -- and I wouldn't be able to understand how or why I had been like that. It had just seemed so freakishly important and huge at the time. I'd go to him and apologize and cry and try to explain what it was like to not be able to trust my own feelings of what is and isn't a big deal. It was pretty awful.

Finally, I started seeing a mental health ARNP again to help stop this cycle before things got any worse, though I believe it was actual suicidal thoughts that propelled me in, finally.

She listened to the symptoms, as relayed by me and my husband, and suggested a mood stabilizer, Lamictil. We said we were willing to try anything, frankly.

At first, I didn't see much change. I did feel a little calmer, a little more even. But once we'd increased the dose a couple of times (you have to start out very low) I found that things had really changed.

That voice of logic was a lot louder and more convincing. I could bite back unproductive, hurtful things that before I would struggle with (and lose). I could finally exert enough willpower to let an argument finish on its own and not keep hammering away at things we'd already dealt with.

It was such a relief... I can't begin to describe it. And, as long as I don't miss a dose or two, I am able to stay pretty even-keeled. I rarely blow things out of proportion the way I used to. A small thing may get me down or make me want to hide under the covers until it all blows over, but I get upset about things that are actually important now, instead of... well... just about everything.

Later, I was diagnosed as Bipolar II, a rapid cycling form of Bipolar Disorder. Fewer to no highs and plenty of lows. I'm still getting used to the idea, but in the end what matters is that I found something that works.

if you feel out of control, if you feel like you're constantly at the mercy of a cycle of moods, go talk to someone about this medication. If it does help you, you'll be grateful beyond words. Trust me.

Lamictal is a good mood stablizer

from Sayre, PA

Comments about Lamictal Depression Medicine:

I think that Lamictal is a great mood stablizer. It helps to make sure that your moods stay level and not go up and down. It is one of the better medications that I have ever taken. It helps with the depression and it helps with bipoloar disorder.

Great for bipolar!

from Fairfield, IA

Comments about Lamictal Depression Medicine:

I've been on Lamictal for several years now. I have to take an antidepressant with it, because I'm so depressed, but my mood rarely dips too low, and I never have manic episodes anymore. I'm on the maximum dose (even more when I'm on birth control, because it negates the effects). I don't like the taste of it, which makes it hard to swallow, but I just make sure to have food nearby to chase it down. I know someone else who takes Lamictal, and he got a rash at the beginning, had to stop taking it, and restart again at a lower dose. The only side effects I ever experienced were a slightly decrease in my appetite and some mild acne problems (but I found a facial regime that cleared it all up!) A benefit of Lamictal that might not come up very often is the excuse - I don't want people to know I have bipolar disorder, so if they see I have Lamictal, I can tell them I'm epileptic! Overall, I'd definitely recommend this medicine.

Has kept me sane!

from Snellville, GA

Comments about Lamictal Depression Medicine:

I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder ten years ago and have tried a few different mood stabilizers over the years. For me, bipolar hasn't been too bad, but I've been constantly medicated. My biggest problem has been depression, so I've been off and on antidepressants. At some point when I was in college, the psychiatric nurse practitioner I was seeing suggested Lamictal. It was a relatively new medication, and they found that in treating bipolar disorder, it had antidepressant properties. I figured hey, why not, so I tried it and I've been on it ever since. I have had to add antidepressants at times (I'm just one of the unlucky ones who always swings to that side of the pendulum), but overall, I love this medication. It was pricey when I wasn't insured, but there is a generic form now! With additional research, I think this medication will get a better pregnancy classification (it is currently a Category C). I've met several people online who've been pregnant while taking it, and have breastfed as well. My daughter turned out just fine and is thriving on Lamictal "laced" breastmilk! I highly recommend Lamictal for anyone suffering with bipolar, especially anyone who wants to be a mom.

Works like it should

from Lawrenceville, GA

Comments about Lamictal Depression Medicine:

I take Lamictal every night. It has help me with my Bipolar and it took away my postpartum depression. I feel great and I am able to cope with everyday activity which I wasn't able to do before. I am happy to say that this is a weight neutral medication and I have had no side effects at all. I give this med a thumbs up!