3.9

LUSH Solid Shampoos

3.9

Pros

Cons

A great alternative to bottled shampoo.

from Voorhees, NJ

Comments about LUSH Solid Shampoos:

I've used a couple of Lush's solid shampoo bars, and I really like them. I have extremely long wavy hair, so I thought it might be difficult to use a bar shampoo instead of a liquid/gel but it really wasn't. The bars are easy to use, I just wet my hair, and lather up my roots with the bar in my hand. Then, I put the bar down and massage what's already in my hair down from my roots to my ends. The shampoo rinses out cleanly without leaving my hair a dry tangled mess. These bars do last quite a long time, but you should be careful to let the bar dry out completely in between uses to make it last longer. That's true for any bar soap though so I don't consider it a negative. As long as you don't leave them sitting in a puddle of water, they will last a very long time. The one drawback I've found is that the bars can sometimes break apart once they get to a certain size. As long as you are careful to collect the pieces though, you can still get use out of the entire thing,

Convenient and effective

Comments about LUSH Solid Shampoos:

LUSH makes such great products with such great ingredients, it figures they would come up with a great idea like solid shampoo bars. No more spilled shampoo in your luggage! They even sell metal travel tins to keep your bar fresh and separate from your other goodies. If you use a tin, though, I suggest you also use a sandwich baggie to prevent the shampoo from getting stuck in the tin if it happened to be damp when you packed it away.

LUSH has a variety of shampoos for different needs. I have fine, oily hair and I have to be careful about the products I use. The rosemary solid shampoo does a good job of cleansing and doesn't produce excess oil. Depending on your hair type, either rub the shampoo between your hands and then massage your scalp, or swipe the shampoo down the length of your hair from the roots and then massage.

The scents don't tend to last very long, which is either a good thing or a bad one depending on how much you like a particular shampoo's scent.

Great product in so many ways

Comments about LUSH Solid Shampoos:

I've been using Lush solid shampoos for well over a decade now and they're still my go-to shampoos for a number of reasons. Firstly, they're compact so they're very easy to take with me wherever I go. Secondly, because there's no liquid they weigh next to nothing, very important for not weighing down the luggage. This also has the advantage of being cheaper and thus more environmentally sound to transport to stores and customers.

They can take a bit of getting used to, especially if you've never used a solid shampoo before. Wet your hair and the shampoo bar and rub it in a couple of circles on your head then continue as normal. Lush will tell you to make a lather with the bar between your hands, as if you were washing your hands with soap, but this doesn't give as good a lather as rubbing it in your hair a few times.

They do need to be kept dry in between uses, but a simple soap dish that will let the water drain is sufficient, no need to dry the bar any more than you'd need to dry a normal bar of soap. I've found that these bars can last up to six months use with twice weekly hair washing, so they're very economical as well as better for the environment. I would prefer if if they could formulate a bar that doesn't contain SLS, but that for me is a minor niggle.

Interesting Product

Comments about LUSH Solid Shampoos:

I used to live very close to a Lush store and admit I was completely hooked on their products. The scents are amazing and everything feels so decadent! What's not to love? I've tried a few of the Lush shampoo bars and have to say Karma Komba and Godiva are probably my favorites.

These bars smell great and work fairly well. My only real complaints are that I'm not convinced they're a good value for the money and they're not terribly moisturizing, even though the sales associates insisted that they were. I found they left my hair feeling a bit dry and sometimes left a residue that was hard to rinse out.

These do a good job of actually cleaning your hair. They certainly remove oils and cleanse but I found they left a lasting residue that could be tricky to rinse out.

They also didn't leave my hair feeling moisturized, even though I was told the bars were enough. If you want to use these, I would recommend using them with a conditioner for maximum benefit.

Also, you should invest in a good place to store these bars, and consider cutting off a chunk for each use. Using the whole bar is wasteful. Some bars, like Godiva, are prone to melting if you take the entire thing into the shower.

These all smell amazing. End of story! Each has a very distinctive scent and they're all wonderful. Definitely experiment a bit and find your favorite. I personally love the scent of Godiva. It's divine!

So far so good...

Comments about LUSH Solid Shampoos:

While I can't speak for every single solid shampoo bar, I can speak for quite a few. So far I have purchased the following bars: Godiva; Squeaky Green; Ultimate Shine; Seanik; and NEW! While I have my personal favorites, (NEW!) all of these shampoo bars worked surprisingly well.

All of these bars work really well with giving your hair a nice shine.

Most of these scents are "very good" but I gave it a good rating since I wanted to average out all the ones I have tried. If you are looking for a shampoo bar that also can pass as a conditioner, although not a superb one, the bar for you would be Godiva. It smells a bit like jasmine. The squeaky green shampoo bar smells like tea tree and it has vanilla and chamomile in it. The ultimate shine bar smells like violet and ylang-ylang. The Seanik bar obviously smells like seaweed and sea salt, and the NEW! Bar smells like cinnamon and cloves.

Average Shampoo Made More Convenient

from Marco Island, FL

Comments about LUSH Solid Shampoos:

I've tried several of Lush's solid shampoos -- Ultimate Shine, Seanick, New, Karma Komba, and Godiva, among others. None of them have done wonderous things for my fussy, poofy hair, so I'm not sure why I keep trying them. I suppose in my heart of hearts I believe there's a perfect shampoo bar just waiting for me to discover it and tame my tresses for good. I have entirely too much faith in Lush.

Even the ingredient list leaves something to be desired. Lush does use more natural ingredients than your average drugstore liquid shampoo, but the solid shampoo pucks still contain sodium lauryl sulfate. Lush made a big fanfare several years ago about removing SLS from their solid shampoos, but apparently the reformulation was a dud because SLS is back on the ingredient lists.

Environmentally speaking, it's nice that the solid pucks use less packaging than liquid shampoo. And the pucks do last for quite some time, and they lather very easily. Some people get by using just the shampoo, but I always need conditioner after, and Lush's conditioners do nothing for me.

However, I appreciate the pucks for one major reason -- convenience. This became especially apparent last time I flew. Anyone who travels by air these days is all too familiar with carry-on rules and that dreaded little quart baggie of liquids. On my last trip, instead of stuffing a travel bottle of shampoo in my already-bulging quart baggie, I tossed a solid shampoo puck in a small container and stowed it in my carry-on bag. Lush sells special tins for just this purpose (and I believe you can also get a tin for free if you buy several solid shampoos at once), but I don't have a tin, so I cleaned out an empty moisturizer pot (also from Lush) and found it fit my shampoo puck perfectly. After a shower I just patted the puck dry with a hotel towel and put it back in its container. This was so much easier than worrying about carry-on restrictions or leaking liquid shampoo. For this reason, I'll probably always keep a Lush shampoo puck around for travel even if I don't use one as my regular shampoo.

Fun to use

from Birmingham, AL

Comments about LUSH Solid Shampoos:

This is another LUSH item I received as a gift...I would without a doubt reccomend the LUSH shampoo pucks but I would do so with a few caveats...(spelling???) Anyway. obviously this is not a traditional shampoo method...I think this is a great addition to a shower regimen...something to change up the week.  I did not review a specific shampoo puck as I don;t remember the name of the one I used but it had a bit of rosemary...which is the only thing I did not like about the treament.  Not that i don;t like rosemary...I would just rather have it in the kitchen, not the bathroom.  Anyway, since the pucks are a bit rough, you get a little added hand therapy as well...I have VERY long straight hair and I had to "lather" twice to feel like I was cleaning my hair...someone with a normal length of hair would not need to do this.  This is an odd product, but it makes ya smile when you use it...at least it does me.  I would order in the future...I would just change the scent.  One thing though, the scent does not stay with you ...which I think is good...

Won't use it again

from Mount Pleasant, SC

Comments about LUSH Solid Shampoos:

I really wanted to love LUSH's shampoo products.  I love that the line is natural, earth friendly and have really unique products that smell great.  I am a big fan of a lot of their other products so I decided to try out a few of their solid shampoos, the ones that look like they are shaped like hockey pucks as well as some of the ones that they slice off the end of a bar.  They probably each deserve their own review but I had just about the same issues with all of them so I'm lumping them into one.  They are difficult to lather, the bars moreso than the round discs. This isn't that hard to overcome with lots of water and a bit more time (just a few seconds really) than traditional shampooing.  They smell great, but they all left my hair dull, dry and feeling like it was coated in a residue.  I tried them all a few times to give them a  fair chance but I just can't recommend them. My hair is naturally straight and pretty fine.