4.1

4.1

Pros

Cons

Only soap I use!

I was incredibly skeptical of this soap because I've read some reviews stating it was too harsh but, went ahead and tried it anyway. Best decision ever! It just works, right after I use it my skin feels so clean! Plus all the red bumps from my rosacea just fade away. Which has never happened to me before. The best i'd gotten before was a cleanser not causing a flare up, but never actually soothing it. I just really love this soap! I love the smell and don't at all mind the texture. I will say it does tend to melt away rather quickly if you let it soak for to long. I just put it in a soap case and its just fine. Seriously though perfect for combination or super oily skin.

Give it a week. Honestly my skin looked amazing. Everyone around me noticed the difference. I have combination skin with dry patches on my forehead and chin and super oily cheeks and nose. After using this soap though my skin is just balanced. Plus after the first use any pimples I have shrink down immediately.

Ease of Application
Here's the think it is messy. It melts quickly and splatters black specs everywhere. Get a soap case and a cleaning rag because this soap is worth it.

Convenience
A little goes a long way. I find the fact that its a soap so much better! I feel like its easier to waste liquid soap, that might just be me though. It is really easy to find most towns have a Lush. Plus there website and shipping is really easy and reliable.

Side Effects
Uhh great clear skin? Honestly I have had zero bad side effects. No over-drying, zero redness and didn't have an allergic reaction. All things that I have had happen before.

Immediacy
You will feel a difference after first use. You just feel really squeaky clean. Plus the oil is put in check.

Grill weenies and cleanse your face at the same time.

**The Verdict:**  Although Coalface does not clear up my acne, I really like the way my face feels squeaky clean after I've used it.  That's the reason I still use it even though it doesn't do much for me.

**Just the Facts:  **I've been using LUSH products for a several years now and found a few hair care products from them that I really like.  So I decided to try some of their facial cleansers to see if I also got great results from those as well.  I'm approaching 40 but still breaking out like a teenager so I turned to LUSH Coalface soap to see if it would clear me up like LUSH claims it will.

Coal face is a facial cleansing soap that is quite strange looking in that it is black like coal as its name suggests.  This is because there is actually powdered charcoal in the soap which supposedly helps to absorb excess oil.  There's also some ground charcoal on one side of the soap which acts as an exfoliator.

The coal on the side of the bar makes it slightly too abrasive for using directly on my face so I usually roll the bar around in my wet hands to create some lather and then I wash my face with my hands.  This results in just the right amount of exfoliation and when I'm finished cleansing my face feels super clean.  It is super clean.  When I tone afterward there is no dirt or makeup on the cotton pad at all.  This may be bad, but my face feels kind of tight and a little dry after cleansing with Coalface, but it feels good to me.  As someone who always feels like her face is slimy and greasy, it's nice to have that super clean feeling.

The only problem is that Coalface does nothing to keep my skin clear from acne. In fact, it probably makes it worse.  The first time I used it a few years ago I broke out in painful acne within three days of using Coalface and then spent several weeks trying to clear it up again.  But now that I'm on antibiotics to keep my skin clear, I can use Coalface again as the antibiotics keep me clear and Coalface keeps me clean.

Coalface smells kind of good to me as well.  It has a light black licorice scent mixed with sandalwood so it's kind of unisex and not flowery or anything.  Mr Bugg has used this soap in the past and didn't complain about it being too feminine or foofy so I would not hesitate to say that it's unisex.

The only benefit I get from Coalface is the feeling that there is not an oilslick on my face and that I feel super clean having used it.  It is probably too harsh for those with sensitive skin and would dry them out.

**Closing Argument:  3 stars.  Coalface** doesn't really do anything to control my acne, but it does make my face feel very clean and I love that feeling of cleanliness when I usually feel so oily.

Only soap I use!

Didn't do it for me...

Comments about LUSH Coalface Soap:

I bought this soap because I had heard wonderful things about its anti-acne properties. I was slightly disappointed with it, however, because it didn't really do much for me. The smell is not exactly the best in the world, but it is definitely tolerable. It has a slight licorice scent, but it doesn't last too long and actually leaves you feeling fresh. I found that the soap was a good exfoliator, but it didn't do much to help my acne. In fact, I think it actually aggravated it a little. I also have pretty oily skin, and I found that Coalface really dried it out, but only for a few hours, after which it all came back.
In addition, I found that the bar ran out pretty quickly. Maybe I just didn't know how to store it correctly, but I found that after a few uses, it began crumbling, and then its effects weren't nearly as strong anymore. After a while, I had to give up and go back to my old face wash. However, I did start using Coalface as an exfoliating body soap, which actually worked pretty well. Overall, from what I've read, Coalface seems to work wonderfully for tons of people, but somehow it didn't cut it for me.

Not Ideal for Sensitive Skin

from Hartford, CT

Comments about LUSH Coalface Soap:

As much as I hate to admit it since I love most of LUSH's products this is not a favorite. That is not to say that it is an inferior product, just that I did not find it ideal.

I saw this in the store and had to get it for the sheer originality of black soap. I mean, how cool is black soap? It had a nice smell which was actually on the more masculine side, but I was okay with that.

The soap has a slightly grainy texture, which is great for exfoliating. Unfortunately, this is where the troubles began for me as I think it actually exfoliated a little too much for my sensitive skin and left me looking almost sunburned. With a more restrained use the next day I was less pink but still left with irritated skin. I decided that it was an interesting experiment but that I would not be using it on my face anymore.

I ended up moving the bar to the kitchen where I used it to wash my hands at the kitchen sink. Odd, perhaps, but it left my hands soft and silky. I kept using it until the bar ran out but I did not replace it with another bar of Coalface as they have so many better options.

Perhaps if your skin is not as sensitive this will work better for you.

My daily face wash!

Comments about LUSH Coalface Soap:

I use this soap every day. From the first use, I could instantly see results! It seemed as though my pores had shrunk and it erased all of my black heads. I have had a problem with blackheads for as long as I can remember.. but with Coalface, they're gone! When I looked in the mirror, I was astonished. Even before looking in the mirror I could feel a difference in my skin. It felt extremely soft because of the small exfoliating bits of coal in the soap. A favorite between me and my friends, for certain!

This soap cleanses all of the little itty bitty pieces of dirt from your pores and washes it away while also gently exfoliating to leave your skin feeling brand new!

Ease of Application
I'd recommend using this product in the shower, as it is so easy to apply and rinse off. You can also wash your face in the bath tub, or in the sink. I find it more complicated to rinse my face in the sink.

Convenience
For me, I have to order online or drive quite a while to get this because I am not located any where near a LUSH store. The price is amazing because this bar lasts for so long!

Side Effects
My skin feels amazing after using coalface! It has helped clear up blackheads and redness in my face. Great for oily skin as well.

Immediacy
The results really are immediate! I was shocked to see how quickly it worked after just one use. I've seen commercials for thousands of products claiming to work like this one does, but they NEVER do. I couldn't believe my eyes. Results do keep coming after the first use, but not nearly as drastic for me.

LUSH Coalface Soap - awesome soap

from Austin, TX

Comments about LUSH Coalface Soap:

I like this soap because it really helps my oily skin. I tend to have oily skin in the summer and use this on a twice-daily basis. It smells great and seems to have a little bit of a roughness to the soap itslef (as in tiny particles come off and rub my skin) so it also acts a little as an exfoliating agent. It has a fresh, clean scent, and leaves my skin rid of all oil and residue and ready for my SPF lotion. I also use this soap after I have been to the gym because it takes off all the oil and sweat and leave my skin squaeky clean. During winter months, I also use this soap, but on a once daily basis because it leaves my skin too dry if I use it twice-daily. LUSH makes the best products for body and face. I use several different products and switch different soaps to keep my skin alive, clean, and in tip-top shape. I love that the soaps are made fresh and are all natural. One tip: make sure you check the expiration dates on all LUSH products because some products expire more quickly than others and you want to give yourself plenty of time to use your purchases.

An Ode to Lush Cosmetics Coalface!

from Hanford, CA

Comments about LUSH Coalface Soap:

I am 23 years old, I had perfect skin throughout my teen years (Jealous? You shouldn't be). Once I hit 20 I started to breakout like I was going through puberty. I have tried all acne products under the sun, all the drugstore brands and all the specialty "not sold in stores" brands.

I went to a few facial parties and always thought their "all natural all organic" liquids and foam washes were the best. I would go home and try my new chemically miracle product and end up breaking out worse. I was on a chat board one day and heard someone bragging about their new "100% vegan" handmade soap. Enter Coalface.

This stuff is made out of powdered charcoal, licorice root, sodium, sandalwood oil, and some other miracle gunk. It's a hard soap. I cut slices off of the main bar for everyday use (the main bar is HUGE). You only need a bit of product, on of my little slices (1/20th of the main bar) will last me a week alone, if my husband is using it, it as well (he hogs it), we can go a few months off of one bar.

My face cleared up within 2 weeks. FULLY CLEAR! I love it, I lather it up, wash for a minute or two, rinse and BAM my face "routine" is done.

I know it's this product because for a week I tried some stuff I got for free from a facial party (hey, old habits die hard) and broke out, I am now on my 2nd week of straight coalface and am clearing up like a champ (even though I just got annoying bangs!).

Buy some, you will love it.

Coalface for a pretty face

from New York, NY

Comments about LUSH Coalface Soap:

I really love how Coalface by LUSH feels and smells.

First of all, the product works well as a daily cleanser.  It lathers up nicely (surprisingly nicely) and almost feels like it's a magnet, pulling gross stuff out of your pores.  Maybe it just looks like a magnet, but either way the effect is there.  I really like that it is able to get the oil out of my oily skin zones while not making my drier skin zones flaky or irritated (the hardest combination for people with combination skin!).  The scent is licorice and other things that smell good and natural.  Also, it's just kind of cool that the product is black and works at making skin so bright!

I appreciate LUSH because their products are all handmade and made with a lot of pride in their ingredients.  However, I can't really get over the implications of mining coal (a very energy consuming process that also affects the health of the miners) for yet another thing.  I have not yet talked to LUSH about this concern, so it is all hypothetical right now and may be cleared up at some point, but it is the reason Coalface got 3 stars instead of 4 for me.

Sounds dirty but gets you clean

from Watertown, NY

Comments about LUSH Coalface Soap:

When I was first recommended this soap by the women working at the LUSH store I was a little unsure about it.  It does not look smell or feel like your normal face soaps.  I however, am quite glad that I took a chance and tried it.  This soap is the best!  I now swear by it and use it as my primary face soap.  It is not the best smelling soap I have ever come across but it makes up for it in other areas.  It is a combination cleanser and exfoiliant another great two in one product.  You just wet it scrub and rinse easy as can be.  Another pro is that it lasts and lasts.  I had a block the size of half a bar of soap and it easily lasted me 6 months maybe more.  And that is washing my face twice a day!  It also leaves my face feeling and looking great!  I have acne breakouts randomly and since I have been using this in combination with my other LUSH products the breakouts are no where near as bad as they used to be.  What used to be 6 or 7 pimples is not 1 or 2.  My skin tone is also much more even then it used to be!  I would recommend this product and have even given this product as gifts to friends.

Coalface-Face acne bravely!

from Deerfield, IL

Comments about LUSH Coalface Soap:

So this is tricky, since I also rated Dark Angels a 3 star.

Coal Face-where do I begin. I got this with a shampoo bar purchase on my first trip and was skeptical to use it, but it definitely impressed.

Coal Face is powerful, if a bit scratchy sometimes with the bits of coal.  It has a licoricey smell but you can get used to it.

It can be overdrying on my skin so I can't use it every day, and I am not sure anyone should, honestly, but where it excels is in zapping zits.  It will.clear.things.up.  And this is from someone who used to suffer from really bad breakouts.  Now I only get occasional ones in the T-zone, but I still like to keep this around for when things surface.

If you want to get something gentle, this isn't your soap. If you'd like to wage war with the oil, this is the PERFECT soap.  I recommend having them get you a small chunk and keep it around for emergencies, but it isn't your every day cleanser.

Coalface, In your face!

from Snohomish, WA

Comments about LUSH Coalface Soap:

I've been using this product for years!  I have combination skin and it is perfect for the dry and the oily.  I use it with Breeze on Sea Air toner and Impirialis moisturizer.  It's the best skin regime for me!  The bar itself, I feel is very economical.  I have one that has lasted me for a year.  It's important to note with all of Lushes solid products, they are best kept dry.  And as with all of their solid products, the best thing about them, they can easily go through airport security!It has ground bits of coal in it, which provides a bit of exfoliating, though I wish it were more because it doesn't really seem to do much.  I was worried the coal would color my skin, but it doesn't.  The only other negative is getting coal bits in your eye, very painful!  But if you keep your eyes shut tight, you'll find the squeeky clean skin will be more than worth it!