Other Hair Colorings:

L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Color

Pros

Cons

• Ease of Application:

I made jaws drop when I walked into work with my new hair color

For some reason people like to talk about my hair color (I tend to change it here and there).  My husband says I have a new color every week (maybe every few months), but he said I needed to try something new with my hair color: Pink (been there done that (that was a boo boo)), Blue: (Nah, to old for that now and the skin tone is to light). He just said something different.  Oh, what this man was saying, he didn't know!

I pondered on this for a few weeks and thought maybe different shades of blonds so maybe I could ease into my new natural "wisdom hairs" (greys/white), but was I ready for that?   NOPE!  I chose **Loreal Preference #4R dark Auburn. **A color I have never tried (so it would be something "new" per the hubby). I kept the box near by before I colored my hair because I wasn't sure yet.  OK, I was getting closer and the final say so would be to see what the hubby would say.  I didn't get a NO WAY, or even a no...OK, I shall be in the bathroom.

**Loreal Preference **hair color is easy to use (**FIRST do a 24 test before trying this on your head just in case you are allergic to this hair dye). **Chemical burns can be nasty and doing a test before hand could save you a lot of money and hair/scalp damage just in case. The kit includes hair color, developer, directions, rubber gloves and conditioner for after you rinse out the color.

- **Tip 1**: Before choosing a hair color, look at your eyes in a mirror.  You have "flex's" (little splashes of color)  in your eyes and mine are gold "flex's" so I can do goldens' or red hair colors.
- **Tip 2:** Before coloring, do not brush your hair hard or stimulate your scalp. Please do your Pre coloring test.
- **Tip 3: **If you get hair dye on your skin remember that tint removes tint, so just take a little and rub GENTLY to remove it.
- **Tip 4:  **When the hair color is on your head and you feel a lot of itching or burning rinse it out with cool to cold water right away!  You could be having a chemical reaction to the hair dye. The cool water will stop the chemical process.

After 25 min. I heard the timer go off, so it was time to rinse. I did so and blotted my hair dry and applied the "Color Saving Conditioner" with vitamin E and UV filters.  I didn't peek at my color until I rinsed out the conditioner.  WOW...I stayed calm because when your hair is wet it will look much darker and you won't see the true color till it's dry.

I have gone from a blondish/brown color to a beautiful Auburn color and I thought it was neat, and I loved it. My husband is used to me doing things with my hair (and she ain't bald yet).  He smiled when he saw it all done...not sure if that was good or bad, but he knows he was the one that said "try something different".  I did, and I love it!

Grey coverage is super and they have such a wonderful selection of colors.  (What ever shall I do next?)  Pictures included. So why not go wild and try something different...it grows out and who knows you might find your new you. I feel SASSY! The people I work with were all dropping their jaws when they saw my new color. It was fun.

This is a permanent hair color.

Was not impressed at all...it was like the color didnt take.

I had decided it was time again to color my hair, and set off to find a new shade of red I havent tried before. The last time I colored my hair I went for something different than the reds I was used to, a dark almost purple looking color. As the color has washed out time it lighted up, and you could see some of the light red comming thru. Today I bought Loreal, Spuerior Preference, in shade Intense Dark Red, the shade looked great, a bold, rich, red.

I applied and after the 25 minutes it called for I rinsed and applied the conditioner that comes with the hair color, 6 weeks it says of conditionings, but I would disagree with that, longer hair and shorter hair use different amounts, anyways, back on track. I did not notice any difference rinsing my hair, it still looked very dark. I thought ok, let it dry, cause hair always looks darker when it wet. Its been 3 hours now, and my hair is dry, and I am not impressed, its like the color did not take to it, I can really see no difference at all. I paid on sale, 9.79 a box, and my hair takes 3 boxes to color. Not happy about this. Oh and the smell takes your breath away, and burns eyes. Wont buy this brand agian.

I use Dark Soft Mahogany Brown and I love it!

Comments about L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Color:

I have used this color for years. I am naturally a chocolate brown with red tones, pretty close to the picture on the box. I started going prematurely grey in my teens and now have a lot of obvious grey. This color is good about covering grey and matching the rest of the color below. It does come out pretty dark right after you color. So I recommend doing your roots first and then waiting about 5 or 10 minutes and then the rest of your hair. Then maybe 20 minutes or so but not the entire 25 before rinsing. It lightens after a wash or two to the color on the box. Lots of people say it looks black to them. But they fail to take in to account the lighting. Sometimes lighting can make it look different than it really is. This is a good and pretty hair color and I get lots of compliments on it even right after I do it, so though I'm freaking because it looks too dark to me, others see the color on the box. So don't worry. It's very pretty. I am currently a red head and I have decided to go back to this color. Because I don't want it to be a purplish black, I am subtly going back but I think next week, I'll finally be able to go to my "home" color. This color is excellent and I love it!

The color comes out good and covers grey with no obvious lighter shade on the roots or greys. The after color conditioner is the best stuff in the world... I love that stuff!!

Ease of Application
It's a little messy so wear clothes that you don't care about or rags. And, cover the countertops and floors, as well. The dyes are strong and it only takes a few seconds to ruin them.

• Ease of Application:

Works great, especially for the price.

from Wisconsin

Comments about L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Color:

The only reason I didn't rate this as a 10 is because of the harmful chemicals. This isn't the healthiest thing to put on my body, but what we won't do for beauty. Otherwise, I probably would have given Loreal Preference a score of 10. It works great at coloring my roots. I use it every 6 to 8 weeks to touch up my roots as the grey keeps sneaking in. Sometimes I have to leave it in a little longer because of the stubborn greys, but that's what all coloring products have problems with conquering. It's easy to use and very economical (okay, it's really cheap to use). I can't understand why anyone would want to waste time and money on going to the salon when they can just apply this stuff. It can get pretty smelly, and you can easily get coloring on your face and clothes, but I always wear an old button-down top and have old rags near me to wipe up any drips, and I always use an old sheet to lay underneath me to catch splatters, so clean up is a cinch.

Great Hair Color

Comments about L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Color:

My hair started turning gray this year at the young age of 38 so I decided to try coloring myself. I was a little nervous I would choose the wrong color or screw up my own hair but I definitely picked the right brand. I loved this brand of hair color. The colors shown on the box of how your hair will turn out is very accurate. Also with the very clear instructions and items items included it is very easy to do your own hair. My hair is really long and there is a lot of it but I was able to color all of it with one box. Very nice even color and beautifully vibrant . Love my hair color. I am naturally dark blond so chose the natural blond shade to go a little lighter and stay close to my own natural color and it came out perfect.

This product is highly effective. Not only does the color work the way it says it will the tube of cream conditioner is a nice bonus. It works great and makes my hair look shiny and clean.

Ease of Application
This product is very easy to use. Simple directions and simple tasks. There is nothing hard about it.

Simple Yet Great Hair Coloring Product

Comments about L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Color:

I have been coloring my hair for some where around fifteen years now but started using L'Oreal Superior Preference hair coloring a few years ago (regularly) when I finally had settled upon my hair color of choice. I have always loved blonde hair although my natural color is more of a light, dirty brown. The L'Oreal color I use consistently now is medium ash blonde (7A I believe) although I do sometimes go back and forth between the dark, medium, and light versions; always the 'ash blonde' family though. The coloring is easy to mix and apply. Just pour one bottle into the other, mix and voila! I will admit the formula is not as thick, creamy, or even foamy as some others are but I have never had a problem with it being too watery and dripping any where. Application is easy with gloves included. The product saturates my hair very well and while yes it smells like a hair coloring product, it is not so strong that you can't breath like some I have tried. The coloring lasts and the conditioner that comes inside does a great job at keeping my hair feeling soft after the coloring process. ***PLEASE NOTE BEFORE USE: PRODUCT IS PERMANENT***

L'Oreal's Superior Preference hair coloring does a wonderful job at covering all my hair. When I am finished all my hair color matches beautifully (the roots and rest of my hair) no matter the difference in shades.

• Ease of Application:

L'oreal Superior Preference has colors you'd Dye for.

Comments about L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Color:

L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Color works wonders for dying hair. I use two different colors in different years. I use the Dark auburn when I want to be a red head for a while, and the color lasts a long time, once the excess washes out in the shower. I also use the Strawberry blond when I cannot get out in the summer months, as that is my natural color. The conditioner that comes with it locks in color for 6 weeks and makes my hair sleek and shiny. All I need to do is touch up the roots every month or so, because my hair grows so fast.

And I absolutely love the way it looks when it is done, and the way it makes me feel to have a different hair color for a while. There's just something about it that makes me feel like a different person. Like I can be whatever or whomever I want to be. And it looks so wonderful, too, in all the photos, to have a lustrous shine to my hair, instead of being dull and lifeless like it tends to get sometimes. Being a mom, I get very little time to do anything for myself, and dying my hair only takes an hour at most, from start to finish, to dried and brushed, but it lasts so much longer than that, and it's something I was able to do for myself, and it makes me happy. And that alone makes it worth the time spent on it.

Plus, I love the way my husband goes nuts about me when I dye it red.

L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Color colors your hair totally, the excess washes out in the shower, and the conditioner locks in the color and keeps it healthy and shiny looking for up to 6 weeks after, with regular washing. And it takes Color stripping to remove it if you want the color to be gone faster. Otherwise it stays in for 6 weeks or more, till it finally washes or fades out.

It is totally effective in holding color for 6 weeks or so, and only requires minimal touch ups depending on how fast your hair naturally grows out, and how different the color is. L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Color's also very effective at touch ups for already dyed hair, and covers up Grey hair wonderfully. It makes you look like a younger you.

Ease of Application
L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Color is so easy to put it on. You just follow the directions in mixing it all up. Then apply to your hair from root to tip and massage into the hair but not into your scalp. Let it sit for a while, and then wash it out till the water runs clear. The excess color washes out in the shower, leaving shiny, lustrous, ravishing hair in it's place. And once you put the conditioner in and shower that out, you are done until it is time for touch-ups.

• Ease of Application:

amazing product at a great price!

Comments about L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Color:

This is the only product I use when dyeing my hair, not just because of the savings but because the product works wonderfully. I have dyed my hair probably over 50 times in my life, and tried many different products, but this one is the ultimate value. The color is exactly the shade the box says, it really is permanent, and I have never had to worry about the color fading at all!

No fade, no burn, amonia free! No hair falling out either.

• Ease of Application:

Easy to use salon quality at home

Comments about L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Color:

I started dying my hair in middle school to cover a birth mark type thing on my scalp that causes a patch of hair to grow out grey. I've gone to salons, used salon products at home, and used about every type of box dye out there. I've done blonde, black, brown, red, and at one point used some rainbow colors too. L'oreal products are my go to and the Superior Preference is probably my favorite. Easy to follow instructions, the product goes on well, covers great, the color looks about as natural as dye is going to, and it is a great value. With some box dyes I have to purchase two boxes to cover my long hair, but not with Superior Preference. I have enough to thickly coat all of my hair with just one box. The conditioner that comes with Superior Preference is top notch, I just wish I could buy it in a bottle. They also have a rewards program that gives you a free box for every 5 you buy. My hair is quite damaged from years of dying, bleaching, blow drying, styling, etc but this product is quite gentle on my hair. My hair actually feels healthier after using it.

It covers my grey patch great, the color is always even and vibrant. I don't get a lot of shine from this product, but I attribute that to my dry damaged hair. The lighter bleach colors lift without the brassy/orange color if used correctly and the darker dyes cover great. I have only had one color not come out true to the display on the box. I don't remember the color name/code but it was a medium brown with a red tone. It came out much darker and redder than the display on the box. The red (thankfully) faded out really quickly and the color eventually faded to a lighter brown.

Ease of Application
The concept is pretty much the same across any brand. Mix, apply, rinse. This one is no different. The directions are clear and simple. I do not like the cheap gloves that come with the box so I used my own medical latex gloves.

Love it!

Comments about L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Color:

The only brand of hair dye that I will buy. I absolutely love it. The color always comes out great. Plus my hair is so much softer and shinier after coloring it than it was before. I tell everybody how much I love it. It really is my favorite brand of hair dye and I would recommend it to anybody who wants to color their hair. It's great if you just want a change, to cover grays, or just to touch up your roots. The conditioner that comes with it is great too. It comes in a tube big enough for several uses and helps hold in the color. It's much more affordable than going to the salon to have your hair colored and it looks just as nice.

The color always turns out like I want it to and it doesn't really fade as bad as a lot of other brands do.

Ease of Application
Very easy to apply without making a big mess. It comes with nicer gloves than other brands. I think they're latex not like those ones that are just plastic baggies for your hands so they stay on your hands a lot better.

• Ease of Application:

Does the job but nothing spectacular.

from Michigan

Comments about L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Color:

L'Oreal Superior Preference hair color is a good choice if you can't afford to go to the salon all the time. However, the results are not spectacular. There is no shine or multi-faceting. It is straight matte hair color. I haven't had poor results with this product yet though. This color is one of the best on the store shelves for hair coloring. The color is long lasting. This is a good strong product but my color kind of looks a little dull. I can count on it until it's time to color again. I don't have to touch up early.

This product is good and strong in that I don't find myself having to touch up too early between colorings. It is a good solid matte color that is good if you don't have the money to go to the salon. The color is not brilliant or radiant. I would rate it a 10 if it gave my shiny multi-faceted coloring.

Ease of Application
The application is standard do it yourself hair coloring. I didn't find it hard to apply but not terribly easy either. Nothing stands out about the application of this product. The product wasn't drippy or terribly messy. I usually apply do it yourself haircoloring with gloved hands. I find gismos for application clumsy and hard to use.

Amazing Coloring!

Comments about L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Color:

I used L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Color for my first ever time coloring my hair and I was so pleased and amazed with the outcome. I went back and bought another couple box to use at later dates. It turned out great!! The deep intense auburn looked so beautiful I'm not sure if I ever want to change colors! I had never thought I would dye my hair but now I'm really glad that I did. The fear of not knowing what you are going to get the first time and anticipation when you are rinsing your hair out until you can look in the mirror is mind boggling.

The color, especially on the first time, was amazing. With not knowing how it was going to turn out, stayed and actually darkened my hair nicely! I received so many compliments on it and going out in the sun you could really see the glint to the dark auburn.

Ease of Application
It was so easy to apply all over my hair and to rinse out. I really like the fact that they supply a tube of cream rinse to use over the next couple month period to help keep the color in.