3.5
L'Oreal

3.5

Pros

Cons

Past my prime, but this helps hint of more youthful days.

**L'Oreal Magic Perfecting Base Face Primer** is my first primer, and I wouldn't have guessed it could be so effective.  Working from a very small sample, I managed to smooth that tiny amount over my face and take time off instantly!  I loved the finger-to-cheek velvety, talcum-y touch.  My face, itself, actually felt like there was nothing at all on it.

Wearing just the primer will work well for me.  Because I'm so pale to begin with, **Magic Perfecting** creates a somewhat masky illusion.  A bit of blush will counteract this, I'm sure.  In the dry weather when I tried this, my somewhat oily nose and chin behaved well all day.  On humid days, I may have to use a dusting of powder.** **

For the most part, I'm an indoor gal.  Because **Magic Perfecting Base** has no sunscreen, I'll have to add or use another product if I'm working in the garden.  I've not yet tried my favorite *Olay All Day Moisture with SPF 15*, but I think that may do the trick.

As a novice primer user, I'll give this four stars to be fair.  Let me just say, though, that I feel quite five-stars-thrilled with **Magic Perfecting Base** so far.

# # # # #

**Ingredients** *Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Acrylates Copolymer, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Aluminum Hydroxide.*

Good, but not the best for oily skin.

My local grocery store had a tester of this product with a bunch of little free sample cards, so I took some home to try out during my morning make-up routine. I didn't think the tiny amount of product included on a single card would be enough for my entire face, but I was able to make it cover everywhere I needed to cover by using it carefully and sparingly. I don't know if it might work better if I applied a little more, but the amount I used didn't seem to cover my face very evenly. When I put my foundation (the old CoverGirl TruBlend formula) over it, it looked cakey and spotty. My face did feel a lot smoother with the Perfecting Base, but my foundation didn't sink in as well so it was really obvious I was wearing make-up, and it rubbed off easily. The next day, I put on the Perfecting Base and waited a little longer, then applied a different foundation (Physician's Formula liquid mineral foundation). I don't know if it was the different formula or the extra wait time or if I just did a better job of applying the base in the first place, but it looked much better and more even this time. I have very oily skin, and it did an okay job of mattifying. I was mostly matte for a few hours, but I become an oil slick as usual by the end of the day. I'd recommend using a primer that's specifically aimed at mattifying if you have really oily skin like I do. If you use this one, be sure to use enough product to cover your skin evenly and wait for it to sink in and dry completely before applying make-up over it. I still have a few samples left of this and I'll probably use them, but only on shorter days and definitely not when I use my CoverGirl foundation. I'm glad I was able to try this out with free samples, because it was worth a shot, but not worth paying full price for a full-size jar that I wouldn't have used very often.

L'oreal Studio perfecting base is a must.

Comments about L'Oreal Studio Secrets Professional Magic Perfecting Base:

I originally decided to try L'oreal Studio Secrets Professional Magic Perfecting base because I felt that foundation alone did not give me the finished look I was hoping for. I use L'oreal Studio Secrets Professional Magic Perfecting base under my foundation and I feel as if the foundation stays on longer, but I also use less foundation due to the perfecting base. L'oreal Studio Secrets Professional Magic Perfecting base evens my skin out and I feel as if the foundation sits on top of the perfecting base verses simply obsorbing into my pores giving me more of a finished look. As I stated above, I also feel like the foundation last throughout the day instead of disappearing several hours after I put it on. The only downside to purchasing L'oreal Studio Secrets Professional Magic Perfecting base is that it is a little on the expensive side. I am a very frugal person and I think it definitely worth purchasing.

from Seguin, TX

Comments about L'Oreal Studio Secrets Professional Magic Perfecting Base:

I personally enjoy using this product along with a light powder to set it. I do not care for traditional foundations as my color is so light and hard to match. I hate having a "mask"on. You know, the kind where your neck is a different color than your face! I occasionally chose the BB cream for night. I have notice that this cream can clog poresif you do not thoroughly clean your face.

Could be better...

from Morganton, NC

Comments about L'Oreal Studio Secrets Professional Magic Perfecting Base:

I thought this would be a miracle product when I purchased it, but not so much. It does go on with a velvet feel to the touch, but it doesn't make my makeup look any different or last any longer throughout the day. As a matter of fact, it does leave a shine on my nose and forehead, which means I just have to add more powder to keep the shine at bay. I am better off not using it at all.

One of my least favorite products EVER!

from Grass Valley, CA

Comments about L'Oreal Studio Secrets Professional Magic Perfecting Base:

I am pretty much the least picky person when it comes to make up. I use very little of it and have pretty good skin. But this looked so alluring! The price was good, the packaging made me think that a little must go along way, perfect for me. I bought it, was so excited to try it... and it's just a streaky mess. It doesn't really apply well, on my skin at least. It makes me skin feel, not greasy, but definitely weird. The bright side, this crappy product reminded me how much I love Youngblood cosmetics.. which are both awesomely priced and non-animal tested!

I wouldn't buy it again.

from Broken Arrow, OK

Comments about L'Oreal Studio Secrets Professional Magic Perfecting Base:

This primer claims to be as good as the high end brands.
I really love Smashbox Photo Finish so I'll compare it to that.
L'oreal is thick and has burned my skin. It dosen't burn every time I use it but it will if I use a salicylic acid face wash before applying it.
Smashbox costs more, but it's worth it because you use less and it glides on where this stuff goes on like spackle.

Not Worth The Money

from Orange, TX

Comments about L'Oreal Studio Secrets Professional Magic Perfecting Base:

I tried this product because I love Loreal products but this one disappointed me. After putting this primer on I noticed that it balls up. It feels like your like you have grit on your face. I would not recommend this product.

Good stuff

from Fletcher, MO

Comments about L'Oreal Studio Secrets Professional Magic Perfecting Base:

I've been using L'Oreal Studio Secrets for a couple of months now, and I have to say that this is some pretty good stuff. It smooths out your skin and it does shrink pores for a smoother look to your makeup. I have fair combination skin, and it really does help control oily skin throughout the day. I have forgotten to put it on a couple of times and begin to notice my nose getting shiney in the middle of the day. This prevents that. I was using Avon's Magix, and I prefer the Studio Secrets much more. I even use it as an eye shadow primer. Just use sparingly, it does cause a "crumbling" to your makeup if it is applied too thick. A little goes a long way.

A good product with some cons

from Monroe, NC

Comments about L'Oreal Studio Secrets Professional Magic Perfecting Base:

Well the statement of less wrinkles by filling in the cracks, so to say, sold me into buying the product. I love the feel of it when you put it on, very smooth and silky and does seem to fill in the cracks or wrinkles, i should call them, but with that, after using it a few days, I started breaking out with a few pimples. I am 44 years old and it has been awhile since that happened. But I did like the immediate results. The price was not to bad compared to some of the other brands on the market, so that was one of the major selling points to me buying it at first and also the fact that they sent me a sample in the mail to try it out first is a big plus! So all in all I would say it is a great product with a few not so bad side effects, worth the buy.

Gives your face a matte look!

from South El Monte, CA

Comments about L'Oreal Studio Secrets Professional Magic Perfecting Base:

This is my first primer ever, so I didn't really know what to expect. My makeup tends to wear off in just 2-3 hours of wear so I was recommended this primer because it was said to get the job done for a minimal price.

My first impression of the primer was that the base was very cakey compared to the liquid base primers. Like I said, since this is my first primer experience I'm not sure of what to expect. But, once I applied it to my face it instantly gave it a matte look...which I really like! It comes on very smooth and feels very natural on your skin. I could probably just use primer and now makeup if I just wanted a natural look--just because of the matte effect.

Doesn't cause any breakouts and definitely holds my makeup for a long period of time, though I did have to reapply after 6 hours of wear. The only gripe is that I wish it came in a larger size and can make your skin a little oily.

They should have kept it a secret.

from Peebles, OH

Comments about L'Oreal Studio Secrets Professional Magic Perfecting Base:

L,Oreal Studio Secrets Professional Perfecting Base is awful.I really liked this base for a few minutes after I put it on.It made my face feel really soft and smooth.IOnce i applied my foundation I noticed it made my fine lines more noticeable.It does a decent job on deeper wrinkles but not fine lines.I made the mistake of trying this base on shortly before I had to leave the house.My face began itching in minutes of putting this base on.I did not have time to get this stuff off my face.I had to sit the better part of a day with this itchy base on my face.the itch was not severe but it was constant until I was able to wash it off.If that was not bad enough it left my skin oily and caused me to breakout.