3.6

3.6

Pros

Cons

• Battery Life:

My kid loves the LG Rumor and his Sprint cell phone service.

My son just left for college, and I wanted to get him a cell phone and service. I want him to be safe and able to call on the road or anywhere and maybe even call his Mom  now that he's gone off (-:

Since I am not a big phone talker to start with and rarely use the cell phone I have, I thought I should ask bkovacs for some ideas.

My kid isn't a big phone talker either, so I just wasn't sure what he would need or like. I thought maybe just a very basic cell phone with minutes added. He doesn't have a digital camera though, so I thought he might like that on a phone. Around and around. I didn't want to over buy or under buy.

Bob thought my kid might like the Rumor LG with Sprint. He was right. That has sure been a hit.

I got the white Rumor rather than the black, since the kid wanted white on the iPod. I don't know that colors are a big deal with the kids. They sell covers and all, so I guess a kid could buy another cover if they wanted another fashion look.

This phone does not have a flip cover. I ran into problems with that with my first cell phone. My phone called up 911 a couple of times in my purse which does not impress the 911 folks. That has not been a problem with my son's phone. The buttons must not be as touchy.

The big plus with the Rumor and probably why no flip cover is that it has a slide out keyboard. This is for text messaging which most all kids will know but maybe not parents. Otherwise you have to hit the number buttons once, twice or three times to get various letters. With this keyboard, it's like a typewriter.

Now honestly I would never think to want a typewriter on my phone and would not have thought that would excite my son. But, well . . . you just never know. That is what he uses the very most. The text messages are unlimited, so that's great. He and his friends send loads of text messages, and that's good that he has the keyboard on there. He can whip those right out.

One thing - be careful as you can send texts to the wrong person if you do not check. My son got one meant for the girlfriend of a buddy. My boys really laughed about that. I think they sent back - "We love you too honey. LOL."

The photos are small - like 1.3 pixels I think, but he enjoys that option as well. I would imagine these would not print well but send just fine.

The phone also hooks up to the Internet. He can surf. That screen is sure small. I don't think I could read it, but it seems fine for younger folks.

My kid has had a lot of fun with his Rumor phone. I rest easy knowing he can get in touch. This is not the kind of phone I'd need or want, but it was a hit for my kid. His friends all were impressed as it's one of the first around here with the slide out keyboard. He has the small plan with 500 anytime minutes and only used 23 for the month, so he is really not a big caller. They don't show the texts though, and I hear several of those every day. He's really getting a lot of mileage on that. Who would have guessed? Not me. So I'm glad Bob suggested this one as it has worked out great.

No problems at all with this phone. Made kid happy. Mom does get some calls from college. Thumbs up!

The LG Rumor is good but not great.

The LG Rumor was what I though, the coolest phone at my provider's store. For the price range I was in of course. I had a sore thumb from having no other choice but going without T9 word prediction on things such as Yahoo Messenger on the Easy Edge on my old phone, so I especially wanted something with a keyboard. I was not looking for another phone that flipped, so the sliding keyboard was a must have.

The keys are small, so for men with larger fingers, this Qwerty Keyboard may not be for you. It does slide out with ease, but does not slide out on its own. I do think the keypad was missing some specifics, example an underscore ( _ ) and found myself having to close the keypad to use the symbols on the front of the phone to find the underscore.  I do not use the keypad as much as I thought I would when I got the phone because using the T9 word prediction as with any normal candybar phone is much faster...

I did drop my phone once. Onto a nice soft robe on the floor, and the little cable that runs between the landscape and regular mode broke, and I had to take it in to be fixed, which was not ideal for me. The phone should have been able to withstand more.

The bluetooth works very well on this phone, which is a problem I often had with my old Motorola. The screen is large and bright. The phone has a built in MP3 player, with a very nice speaker for listening to various songs. The internal memory is rather small when it comes to music, so purchasing a Micro SD card is a mush.

Another problem I have had with the LG Rumor is that it often restarts for no apparent reason. I can be texting or browsing various apps like Facebook and it just restarts. I did have a software update which was supposed to fix this problem, and it did not.

I like my phone, but I am not going to keep it beyond the 2 years on my contract. I have one more year and I am definately getting an upgraded phone. I will stay with LG most likely as their phones do last longer in my experience.

Decent starter phone with a great QWERTY keyboard.

Comments about LG - Rumor Cell Phone:

This was the first phone I got when I switched over to Sprint from a pay-as-you-go service. I absolutely loved this phone when I first got it. The keyboard fit great in my hands and was easy to use.

This phone did exactly what I needed it for, primarily texting. I didn't have much need to go online with it and the few times I did browse the internet on this phone it was clunky and difficult to navigate. But it wasn't meant for that- use it for what it's meant for and it works great.

Voice Quality
I never had an issue with voice quality on this phone.

Battery Life
Battery life was excellent.

This is hard to answer. Physically, the phone could take a beating. However, I had to have it replaced twice in two years because the screen began to go fuzzy. The second time it got to the point where I could no longer read my screen and had to guess which button to push when I had an incoming call.

Very intuitive. I immediately had no trouble navigating this phone.

At the time, I thought it was gorgeous. Now with the much sleeker smartphones on the market the Rumor looks a little clunky but it still is not an ugly phone and the sliding keyboard is very handy.

Not Durable

Comments about LG - Rumor Cell Phone:

I loved the look and functions of this phone, but it didn't hold up very well. Just from normal use my x key stopped working after only 2 months and there was nothing they could do to fix it. A few months later it just stopped working all together. When I turned it on, it just continually tried to power up but never actually got past the loading screen. I wouldn't get another one.

The LG Rumor Reflex Has Everything For You But The Kitchen Sink~

from Fort Gratiot, MI

Comments about LG - Rumor Cell Phone:

The LG Rumor "Reflex" Cell Phone was my perfect match. It has a huge3-inch WQVGA touchscreen; built-in GPS; 2MP Camera & Camcorder; 3 GB Data capabilities; full Qwerty Keypad; and equipped with Bluetooth technology; memory card support; speakerphone; Voicemail, Caller ID, Call Waiting & 3-Way Calling . There is easy access to facebook and twitter and keep in touch via your email. Sorry folks, no android on this model...I didn't want a smart phone because I was trying to keep my expenses down. This is truly the next best cell phone to owning one though. I already have an android tablet. Other spec's are 512 MB ROM/256 MB RAM with 480 Mhz processor. Excellent battery life which is only shortened by using the internet functions. I received my phone for free while signing a two year contract with Credo {a Sprint service}. I love my new phone and have been sharing the news with family and friends. I definitely recommend~

Awesome capabilities. Performs very well. Doesn't take long to adjust to.

Voice Quality
Great voice quality.

Battery Life
Battery life is excellent as long as you do not wear down by texting all day or going online

I already accidently dropped and it remained intact with no scratches. Very durable.

As with anything, it takes a little time to adjust to all the applications. Comes with book.

Love the size and how easy it is to slip into my purse. Excellent product

It isn't what it seems!

from Hazelwood, MO

Comments about LG - Rumor Cell Phone:

I have had this phone for almost a year it has given me so many problems. I have already had 2 replacements, but sadly they give you the same phone. My first phone I had like if you would put any pressure on it or anything it would simply cut off. The phone would cut off for the slightest fall. The second phone I got the speaker quit on me. I could hear people talking to me but, they couldn't hear me. I just had too many problems with this phone.

If you are a text fanatic this is a great phone for you!

from Cottleville, MO

Comments about LG - Rumor Cell Phone:

This phone is easy to learn to use. It flips sideways to reveal a full keyboard. This is a great phone for someone who likes to text alot. As for phone usage, I have had many people tell me they have trouble hearing me on it. I have trouble hearing the person I am talking to as well a lot of times. I think this is due to the single pinhole sized speakers you talk into and listen through. You can hear better if you put the other person on speaker but they will have trouble hearing you. Overall I enjoy the phone because I like to text.

great phone for texting!

from Tampa, FL

Comments about LG - Rumor Cell Phone:

this is a great texting phone.... the slide out qwerty keyboard is a great feature! i havent had any problems with it so far and i have had it for two years... my only problem that i hope is fixed in the rumor 2 is the camera.... the pictures you take on the camera are ok in quality. i think it could use a night time feature.... if it's a little dark, your pics arent going to come out well.... other than the camera, i have no problems with the phone =)

LG Rumor is a cool little phone

from Saginaw, MI

Comments about LG - Rumor Cell Phone:

My LG Rumor is a good little phone. It has great reception even without an external antenna. My last phone wouldn't work inside most stores! This on is great! I like the keyboard and use the calendar everyday. It is easy to use and very functional. My daughter loves the mp3 player she always want to listen to music in the stores and it keeps her busy. The camera ok. The camcorder is good to take short video clips. I would recommend it to anybody. The only thing that is the problem is the earbud port on the side of the phone. The is lose fitting and slips out easily.

I got this phone for free through the government.

from Somerset, OH

Comments about LG - Rumor Cell Phone:

I signed up at safelinkwireless.com for this lifeline of Ohio program to get a free phone to qualifying individuals and I love it! I get texting and all kinds of neat extras, games and ringtones. I would recommend this little black phone to everyone. I love it. You just cannot get or give any pictures with texting on this phone.

I love my tracfone!

from Crescent City, CA

Comments about LG - Rumor Cell Phone:

I love my tracfone because I am able to purchase minutes before I use them instead of getting a huge bill at the end of the month. If I need a lot of minutes, I get more, and if I need more, I simply get more.NO surprises or bills that I cannot afford at the end of the month.If I just want a few minutes, I just pay for a few minutes. The service is always there when I need it, so that is perfect too.! I needed a simple phone to make occasional calls, and the tracfone

Great Phone

from Epping, NH

Comments about LG - Rumor Cell Phone:

I have been using this phone for over a year now with no problems, it was simple to figure out I get great reception and find the calendar and alarm features very useful. It has held up through all the accidental abuse I have put it through.