Other Washing Machines:

LG Front Load Washer

Pros

Cons

• Cleaning Time:

You just might be able to fix the problem yourself.

I have a LG WM 2016CW washing machine and I love it.  I had always had Maytag's.  But, my daughter convinced me to buy a LG.  I am so happy I listened to her.  I see a lot of complaints about mold.  When I first used my machine I saw water on the glass part of the door.  It didn't take a genius to figure out that the door had to be left open so the machine could dry out after using it.  I have never had a moldy smell or anything like that.  So leave the door open!!

I did have a problem that the machine was not draining properly.  I read the manual and it clearly states that there is some type of drain at the front bottom of the left hand side of the machine when you are facing the machine that needs to be cleaned out.  I opened the little door thing unscrewed a plug completely and pulled out the little cage drain.  Sure enough it was full of detergent.  I washed it out with a brush and that cured that problem.

The next problem was that my machine was not letting the detergent and fabric softer empty into the machine.  I pulled out the deposit area that the you put the detergent and fabric soften .  I then shut off the washing machine and took a long wire sturdy wire and wrapped it with electrical tape so it be came about 1/2 inch thick so there would be no sharp pointy things.  That might cause a hole.   I put the covered wire down the hole for the disperser, make sure the wire is about four feet long.  I pushed it down slowly until it would not go any further.

Than I ran the washer with detergent and fabric softener with no clothes in the machine and it worked like a charm.  I know I am somewhat handy and I am a woman.  Not a handy man.  I never thought I was able to fix anything until I tried it.  So, don't be afraid to try and figure things out by yourself before calling a repair man.  If it has to do with the motor of the machine then call a repair man.  Also, every two weeks do a wash with just two cups of vinager with no clothes in it.  It really keeps the washing machine clean.

Only use half the amount of detergent that you would use on a top loader.  It is like a dishwasher it does not like suds, but it will get your clothes just as clean.  Hope this helps.

Handy,

Eileen

Definitely not the best

We have had this washer for 3 years and have had the repair man out several times, mostly for the horrendous smell and mildew that accumulates. We kept the door propped open to dry, used bleach wipes on the "boot" as they call it...and it still occurred. The repair men said it's "a known issue". After finally contacting LG themselves via a letter this Sept, they replaced the boot and so far no more issues. This repairman said that the boot that originally came on the machine didn't drain properly, however ones that came out after ours was produced, had the right one on there.

While it cleans clothes well, the odor we had to endure, plus all of the other cleaning and having to keep the door propped open to dry (we lived in a condo when we got it, and now in a house with a smallish laundry room and keeping the door open 24/7 is problematic), it seemed more of a hassle than anything. However, no problems since the final repair. I do have to agree with another poster that it shakes something fierce!!! I always thought it was my imagination until tonight when hubby commented on the same thing.

I don't think we'd buy another front loader again, but would probably stick w/LG if they came up with a top loader we liked. Their customer service was excellent.

It gets the job done

Comments about LG Front Load Washer:

It cleans my clothes well. The spin cycle really gets a lot of the water out, decreasing the dry time needed. However, I feel like it has longer wash cycles than my top loader did. I also have to be extra careful not to use too much detergentor and always use he detergent) or I will have to rinse the load again.

Energy Efficiency
My light bill stays low no matter how many loads of laundry I wash.

Cleaning Time
Cleaning cycles are long, and I often have to do an extra rinse cycle.

It gets my clothes clean. I rarely ever have issues with unbalanced loads. The spin cycle removes a lot of the extra water making dry times faster. It usually gets stains out well on the first was. I just wish the wash cycles were a little faster!

The settings are simple and easy to understand.

It's relatively small, but still holds a lot of clothes. It looks nice and sophisticated.

I have had no issues with this machine. It has held up well through many loads of laundry.

Nice washing machine

Comments about LG Front Load Washer:

We have had this machine for about 5 years and I still like it. A lot of people mention that front loaders can have a mildewy smell to them, but I leave the door open to my machine (after each use) and I NEVER have had a mildew smell. This is my first front loader, so I am not sure if it is normal but the load times are very long. A regular load of laundry takes about an hour to wash, but there is a quick wash which I use when I only throw in one or two things (about 35 minutes long). There are not a lot of extra setting on it (such as soak) but it does have delicate and hand wash which I use often. All in all our clothes come out very clean ( we are a family of 4, with 3 dogs) and I am happy with this machine, I would buy it again.

• Cleaning Time:

This is a good washing machine for the price!

Comments about LG Front Load Washer:

We have had very few issues with this washer since we bought it over 3 years ago!

Energy Efficiency
This washer is very high efficiency and uses a minimal amount of water with every wash cycle. It also has a quick cycle that can be used if you need something cleaned fast (which cuts the wash time in half, but uses more water)!

Cleaning Time
Depending on the setting you choose, it can take anywhere from 20 minutes to over an hour to finish.

Once in awhile, we will get an error message after the final rinse cycle before the clothes have the excess water drained off. It is usually because the washer was too full. Then, we have to choose the rinse and spin cycle to finish the load. This hardly ever happpens, though.

The different choices for wash cycles are very easy to use.

I feel like the buttons and knobs are all organized in the best possible way.

We haven't had any problems with the washer holding up well. It still looks almost new, and we haven't had to fix anything!

• Cleaning Time:

LG washer washes great but stinks (literally)

from North Liberty, IA

Comments about LG Front Load Washer:

I really do love my LG washer, but as I had been warned by owners of front loaders, it stinks. I leave the door open to make sure the tub and rubber gasket dries out, but it still stinks. I've tried drying the rubber gasket after each time I use the washer, and I've even wiped out it with bleach. It still stinks. At least it doesn't make my clothes stink though.

It does a great job washing everything. It doesn't use very much water so it's easy on the water bill, yet it still washes well. I love that it has a wool/hand wash setting. I love the features such as extra water and extra rinse. Besides the stink, I've been very happy with the washer!

Something should be done to prevent water from getting stuck in the rubber gasket to prevent a mildew smell.

• Cleaning Time:

Summarize this product in one sentence.

from Eagle Mountain, UT

Comments about LG Front Load Washer:

This is a great washing machine. I love how many clothes or towels i can fit in one load. It's really a time saver and having the express wash is amazing!! It's super fast and really quiet. The only problem i have with these washing machines is that you have to wash the washing machine . But other then that i love it.

Great washing machine!!!!

Comments about LG Front Load Washer:

Good washing machine. Has many cleaning options. Love the child lock to prevent accidental changes or power off by children. Gets clothes clean quickly and quietly. Handles a large amount of clothes with ease. We have had this machine for 18 months now and no complaints. Would highly recommend!!

Very User-friendly machine

from Appleton, WI

Comments about LG Front Load Washer:

We got this washing machine after our old one malfunctioned and flooded our house. This was a much needed upgrade! The options are great, and it's very easy to use. The machine is not too loud. It takes a little longer than I'm used to for clothes to go through the cycle, but it uses less water, is more energy efficient, and gets clothes cleaner. Very easy to load detergents and my kids love that the door is clear so they can watch their stuffed animals get washed :)

It is a little deeper than our previous washer (which was a top loader). Not a big deal, except our laundry is in a closet, and with the new machines we can't put the doors on. We measured for width & height, but not depth. Lesson learned!

• Cleaning Time:

My LG Washer sings a song when it's finished!

from Houston, TX

Comments about LG Front Load Washer:

I love my LG Washer! It's energy efficient, super easy to use, and it even sings a song when it's finished a cycle. I am even at the point where I can't stand doing laundry at anyone else's house when we travel b/c I love the quality of my washer (and LG dryer) so much.

The wash cycles are longer than the dry times b/c this front loader really gets the water out of your clothes. I love that everything is digital, but also customizable. My 4 yr old can even start a load of laundry for me. There's no need to tell it the size of your load - it automatically senses how much water it needs to use. I like the option of using the cold/tap water temp for enery saving. I rarely use the delay wash, but I like that it's there. With a 3 yr old and a 4 yr old, I've had to use the "high soil level" option a few times, and was delighted with the results.

I would highly recommend getting the pedestal that goes with it... it raises the front opening so that you're not bending over quite so much to load and unload.

My only complaint is a seeming design flaw when it comes to installing in some laundry rooms... The washer door is hinged on the left (opens on the right), which would be convenient if the washer was to the left of the dryer... but in my home, the gas line for the dryer is on the left, so the doors of the two units open back-to-back instead of like French doors. Inconvenient, but not a deal-breaker.

All in all, I have no regrets. Love it!

LG front load washer Direct Drive WM2016CW

from Moline, IL

Comments about LG Front Load Washer:

I love this washer! This is my second front loader and I can't imagine switching back to a top-loader again. We bought this one for the larger capacity. I can actually wash my king size comforter easily in it. There are five wash cycles and soak/pre-wash, and extra rinses. It is energy star compliant and lower water usage which helps on operating costs, and uses hardly any detergent or fabric softener, so there are savings there, too. It has a lot of options, most of which I don't bother with, as we are older and don't have heavily soiled clothes. I especially like the quick cycle, a 28 minute quick wash. It does a wonderful job for our needs. My daughter uses the heavier cycles to do toddler play clothes and baby diapers, and they can run up to an hour and a half. Also, it spins the clothes very well, cutting drying time.

It is a very large unit, and does take up a bit more floorspace, and that could be a concern in a small work area, but that's the trade-off for the large capacity. My only complaint is the locking feature. It only "locks" when it is running, and even then the power button can still be pushed off and shut it down mid-cycle. It would be wonderful if the machine could be locked so little fingers could not start it when empty or (worse yet) restart it after the load is done and waiting to be moved to the dryer! Fortunately, you can do a quick spin to wring them out again! (Sometimes all those lights flashing are just too tempting to a toddler.) The lock feature is the only thing that causes me to give this washer less than a perfect rating; otherwise, it's 5-star all the way.

Love my LG!

from Chattanooga, TN

Comments about LG Front Load Washer:

I previously had a top loader that I liked alright, but it definitely had some downsides that having this great little machine remedies. On a top loader, the post in the middle often has clothes wrapped and twisted around it - you defintely don't get that with the beauty of a machine.

This LG rings out clothes like no other I've ever seen - my LG washer has my clothes practically dry by the time they are ready for the dryer. And they're CLEAN. It is very rare that my clothes require any extra detergent or stain remedies - the washer does the job with the standard HE detergent. Nothing extra, no stain release or soaking of clothes, etc. To me, this means my clothes last longer and stay looking new for a longer period of time due to the lessened use of harsh detergents and stain release agents.

Some folks complain about the moldy smell - however, I haven't ever experienced that problem. It is advised that each time you use the washer, the owner should wipe out the seal very well. A pain in the neck? A bit, yes, as it requires an additional step and some responsibility on the part of the owner. Worth the few extra seconds it takes to have your clothes last longer and be cleaner than using a standard top loader? Absolutely.

My one complaint is the fact that this washer shakes so much that it often moves across my garage floor. I personally don't hear it, but I know that if the washer was located inside of my home, there would definitely be some noise associated with running the washing cycles. My advise: don't put anything on top of the washer, unless you want it to fall off. I've busted huge bottles of detergent by doing so - best to just leave the detergent sitting on top of the dryer or elsewhere.