View more cell phones

3.8

Pros

Cons

• Battery Life:

I like my LG Dare, but....

...this is not an iPhone clone. Nor is it a smart phone. I'll get to why in a minute.

With that out of the way, here's the pros...Read complete review

With that out of the way, here's the pros and cons:

**Pros**

- Great touch screen. I tried out several touch screen phones, and the Dare was one of the best; very sensitive but not overly so.

- The camera is outstanding, boasting 3.2 megapixels as well as a flash. Photo editing options are groundbreaking as well. Be warned though: like with other mobile phones, the camera still has its limitations. The zoom is nothing dramatic, meaning you'll need to be within 10 feet of your subject. And while the flash is a nice addition, it too needs to be in close proximity to be worth anything.

- MP3 player and other on-board tools are good. The headphone jack, as mentioned in previous reviews, is standard, so you can plug in pretty much any of your favorite ear buds (I tend to use my iPod ear buds). My other favorite tool is the tip calculator, which only caters to my laziness when figuring out the restaurant bill. The other tools are decent as well; the alarm clock is one I use daily.

- I like having the touch screen QWERTY keyboard for texting, but it is very finicky. I keep my fingernails cut very short, so I typically "fat finger" my letters, and the phone typically guesses wrong. For people with long fingernails, it's very responsive.

- Overall call quality is good. Bluetooth is fine, but make sure you have the right headset (can't recommend the Plantronics Voyager 510 enough).

**Cons**

- The web browser is junk, and this is where all comparisons to the iPhone or other smart phones need to end. I read reviews of the Dare on CNET where they loved the phone but hated the web browser, but I figured I would just deal with it, how bad could it be? It's bad. Functional, yes. But page rendering, even on 3G, is slow. Scrolling is a pain, even with the touch screen. On pages that it cannot display, it simply hangs rather than erroring out. And the worst part is that you cannot download a different web browser like Opera, which leads me to:

- No ability to download "useful" applications. Again, this is not an iPhone, so unless you want to pay Verizon for their lame apps, you're stuck. The Dare has no OS, so it cannot run 3rd party apps that aren't directly developed by LG or Verizon. So no Gmail app, no Opera browser, and none of the great non-iPhone apps that are abundant on the web. Such a shame.

- Along those lines, and this may be more of a Verizon gripe, the mobile email app for the Dare is sad. Clunky, to say the least. I linked it to my Gmail account (nice), but the interface is basic and the features are nil. If it weren't included with my service, I would never pay for it.

I will be the first to admit that the LG Dare never claimed to be an iPhone clone or a smart phone. Verizon decided that sales pitch was the best way to move them, and it worked. Despite hating the web/app features, I do like the phone, and it did get a lot of things right. I just found it unfortunate that LG did not follow through completely on its ability to provide a strong web browser and more robust app capabilities. Then it truly would have been an iPhone killer.

Overhyped

When it was released the LG Dare looked like the ultimate cell phone on paper:

- Tons of memory with expandable storage

- Removable battery with...Read complete review

When it was released the LG Dare looked like the ultimate cell phone on paper:

- Tons of memory with expandable storage

- Removable battery with fantastic talk times

- Compact design that supported both vertical (t9) and landscape keyboards

- 3.2 megapixel camera that could even record in low motion

- Giant screen

- Full HTML browser with 3G speeds

Unfortunately the phone's software cripples its well-endowed specifications. Despite its good intentions, the pressure-sensitive touchpad was unreliable and never worked as well as the capacitive systems on other phones. Personally, mine broke more than 4 times over the course of a 2 year ownership. The poor accuracy of the touchpad, combined with the fact that it gives a vibrating confirmation whether or not you've selected anything, made typing on this device painfully slow. Even with 2 years of practice, it was never as fast or thoughtlessly easy as it is on a device with physical buttons (qwerty or numeric keypad). Even though the browser could properly render most pages, the long load times and the fact that links were so difficult to select with the poor touch interface made the internet connection worthless for anything other than Verizon's small "mobile web."

The phone wasn't a complete disappointment, however. Battery life was as good, if not better, than expected, and call quality was above average. Signal quality was often better than could be found on cheaper flip-phones, and the everything except for the screen was fairly robust and resistant to damage. Overall, however, the phone's negatives outweigh the positives, and if you're in the market for a feature-laden phone you should continue to look elsewhere.

LG Dare.......update I have iphone 5 now

from Johnson City, TN

Comments about LG Dare Cell Phone:

UPDATE:
I use the iphone 5 now and it works better for me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love my LG Dare phone. The touch screen for texting has sure been easy for me to use. I don't text as much as my son, but I text quite often and found it hard to text with a keypad. I can turn my phone horizontal and it makes a keyboard which makes it easier for me to send a text message. I really LOVE the camera. At 3.2 mega pixel the quality is so much better than any other phone camera I've used. It has a panorama feature that is so easy to use and the final picture looks great. I'm on my computer all day and I just plug in the USB and can charge my phone while I'm on the computer. I use a micro secure digital card and I put music, movies, and pictures on the card and it's a great portable media player. When I'm in my car I can use the speech dialing so I don't have to dial a number while I'm driving.

• Battery Life:

Still working 3 years later!

from Logan, UT

Comments about LG Dare Cell Phone:

I got the Dare when it was time for an upgrade and the reason I chose it was the touchscreen. It was right when iPhones were becoming popular but Smartphones weren't all over. I liked that I could access my email and download some apps as well. I upgraded to a Smartphone after a year but after about 6 months I got sick of paying for a data plan and went back to the Dare. I still can take great photos, videos and access my email if I want. It's also really durable. I have 3 kids under the age of 6 and they love to grab my phone and take pictures of random things. I did drop it once and a small piece of the side by the photo button broke off, but it doesn't affect the function of the phone.

The only thing I don't like if that I have to turn on the screen to see if I have a message or a missed call. I wish there was a blinking light somewhere to show me I had a message.

I'm going to keep using this phone until it no longer works! Battery stays charged a long time, no problems with touch screen and it's small enough to fit comfortably in my pocket.

Voice Quality
Never feel like someone is "too loud" or "too quiet"

Battery Life
Battery usually lasts me a couple of days and that's with all my text messages only being on vibrate mode.

LG Dare is reliable

from Kenton, OH

Comments about LG Dare Cell Phone:

I have had my Dare for about a year now and I absolutely love it! I have heard some people complain of it freezing or not being about to use the touch screen but I haven't had any problems. The camera is awesome, it's like using a regular digital camera. I find the touch screen VERY easy to use, there is also a keyboard option. There is a drawing pad which I think is cool and fun when you are bored. It also has an easy tip calculator. The record video is also nice, takes 30 sec videos. I would recommend getting a screen protector though just because of the smudges that will form on the screen.

• Battery Life:

the battery life on this phone is HORRIBLE

from Windermere, FL

Comments about LG Dare Cell Phone:

very disappointed with the short battery life. i even bought a new battery b'c i though i had fried it with no help. it wont even last overnight after a full charge without being dead as a dodo in the morning.

Interesting phone

from East Meadow, NY

Comments about LG Dare Cell Phone:

I like this phone but have alot of issues with it ,

I like the touch screen except my fingers are too big for it I would much rather have a keyboard. My phone keeps shutting off on its own. I might have to trade it in before its time.

lg Dare is a great almost smart phone!

from Gilbert, AZ

Comments about LG Dare Cell Phone:

I was looking into getting a blackberry, but I definitely didn't need all the bells and whistles that come with it - I only need to check my email a few times a day, and all of the other stuff? Pretty much unnecessary, but I really wanted a nice phone, that took great pictures, and had some of the "fun" stuff - and the guy at the verizon store sent me in the Dare's direction. I really think that this is a great phone for someone that is looking for a simple phone, but also a somewhat high tech phone at the same time. The screen is really large, and has good resolution, and the sound quality is pretty good. It's not too big, and I think it is a very easy touch screen - I almost never have a problem with it, esp since I type with my fingernails (as it is pressure sensitive).

The one thing that I do wish, is that I could sync the calendar with my computer.

I heart my touch screen phone!

from Birmingham, AL

Comments about LG Dare Cell Phone:

When I saw the LG Dare touchscreen phone, I wasn't sure it was something I would like. I'm used to having a flip phone and a phone with real buttons.

I was wrong! I love having this phone. It has great features and it's easy to use. Sometimes the touchscreen can be a little finicky and my text messages may not come out quite like I was wanting, but it's a small price to pay for such a nifty little gadget.

I like it but would not get another one

from Flemington, NJ

Comments about LG Dare Cell Phone:

I got this phone as a christmas gift last year. It's ok but I would probably not buy it again. The touch screen freezes up once in awhile. After I use it and put it in my purse if it touches anything it will dial the number again. Otherwise the phone has a lot of features.

Pretty cool

from Bakersfield, CA

Comments about LG Dare Cell Phone:

LG Dare, very cool phone, with a lot of neat features. The first thing you will notice about this phone is that its very light and smaller then one might be expecting. It is lighter and a bit smaller then the (yes I will say it) Iphone. My previous phone was the Motorola Razr V3m. This phone is only slightly longer and wider then that phone when the Razr is closed.

Now for the size it is just about perfect.This phone is my first dive into the touch screen craze that current gen phones and the majority of future phones are sure to use.

Now when touching the screen you don't have to touch it hard or too lightly just treat it like a lady with gentle touches and "taps" and you will have no problem with using this phone.

When you touch it there is a pleasent very slight "haptic" feedback vibration to let you know that you touched a button, as well as a friendly "beep" (which can be turned down or off). It's a very fun phone.

The LG Dare is a wonderful high end feature phone.

from Stow, OH

Comments about LG Dare Cell Phone:

I have the LG Dare from Verizon Wireless and love it. This phone has everything you could want short of being a smart phone. It has a 3" touch screen with a customizable desk top. You choose the shortcuts you want to have on it. I love this feature. No more searching through menus. Everything I was it one touch away. I could never go back to a regular phone now. It has a 3.2 megapixel camera. It take beautiful pictures outside. Just as clear as any comparable digital camera. It is still good in artifical light, but you definitely loose some clarity. It has a flash, but the flash it too bright and a blue color. I really don't take night pictures. It also has a camcorder feature with will record in up to 640x480 resolution. Very nice.

It has a full html browser so it renders most normal websites very well. There is no flash support so anything flash will not load. I still like to use the mobile web most of the time because it's faster. It has mobile IM for aol, msn, Yahoo. It runs on the 3G network so if you have a good signal it will run at approx 1.5M a second. Obvioulsy slower if you have a worse signal. It has a built in MP3 player and a headphone jack which I use often. It has it's own youtube player so you can play any youtube video. It has bluetooth.

It has a full QWERTY onscreen keyboard for texting when you turn the phone sideways. This can take a bit to get used to, but I have it down pretty well. It has a favorite contacts screen so you can call or text your favorite people with the press of a button.

I love this phone. It is an all in one device. I use it to call, text, take pictures, video, listen to mp3s, check email, internet. If you don't need a smart phone this is a very good option. The only small problem is getting used to the touch keyboard and the scrolling can be kind of slow, but i don't have much bad to say about the LG Dare.