View more cell phones

VX8700
LG - Cell Phone

LG - Cell Phone

3.6

The LG VX8700 is a sleek, reliable phone.

from Aumsville, OR

Comments about LG - Cell Phone:

I have had the LG VX8700 for almost two years with almost no problems.  The battery still lasts as long as it did when I got it, I have dropped it multiple times with no problems. I only have two problems with it: 1. Its stainless steel (or it looks like it is) so it always has stupid fingerprints on it; and 2: The # key (space bar when texting) only works if you press it just right, which is annoying.  I would recommend this phone to anyone!

the LG is sleek and simple connects to bluetooth easily

from windsor locks, CT

Comments about LG - Cell Phone:

If you're an average cell phone user who is trying to get into the upper decks of technology the LG is for you.  It is easy to navigate and connects/reconnects to the bluetooth easily.  It is sleek and easy to handle and allows for great pics, speed dialing, and voice recognition.  For the price it is a good value.

My first LG

from Lake Orion, MI

Comments about LG - Cell Phone:

I've always been a motorola girl, so when I went phone shopping I assumed that's what I'd get.  I found the LG very easly to use and suprisingly user friendly.  The only thing that kinda throws me is the way it text messages.  It's the only thing I would change.  I get an excellent signal.

Looks good, easy to use and besides one past problem, works well

from Metrowest, MA

Comments about LG - Cell Phone:

The LG VX8700 grabbed my attention as soon as I went into the Verizon store to upgrade my phone.  There it was, shiny with a brushed metal finish and when you flipped it open, a bright screen, a 2.0 megapixel camera and just a sweet looking phone overall and while I didn't have good luck with the first LG VX8700 that I had, its replacement has been pretty much flawless since I received it almost a year and a half ago.

**Details**

The VX8700 is a slick looking phone.  The exterior is brushed is brushed steel with a narrow display running along the middle of the front of the phone and the camera lens just above that display. Once open, the phone is silver on the inside with a large, bright interior display and a backlit keypad. There are a couple of buttons on either side of the phone that provide quick access to the camera functions and sound levels. There's also the MicroSD card slot that adds additional storage to your phone.

With phones nowadays there are a ton of features and the LG VX8700 pretty much as them all.  It offers your standard phone functions along with a 2.0 megapixel camera that can also capture video, Bluetooth compatibility so you can communicate with other Bluetooth devices, a speakerphone, a bright, 11-line, 240x320 pixel color LCD screen, the ability to function as an MP3 player, picture, text and video messaging, and the ability to expand its storage space with a Micro-SD card.

A nice feature of the phone is how lightweight and compact it is.  The VX8700 measures just under 4 inches in height and 2 inches in width and is only a little over ½ an inch thick when it's in its closed position. It weighs in at about 3.77 ounces. That makes it small enough and light enough to fit almost anywhere.  I find it to fit very easily into my pocket and I don't even realize it's there.

The VX8700 follows the same general keypad outline and menu structure that other LG phones have.  Almost all of the menu structure is the same as the older LG phones with the major differences only being the new additional features available on the 8700 and the subsequent menu changes to accommodate them.

I really like the speakerphone capability on this phone.  The phone is very good at picking up my voice when I'm using it (along with whoever else I'm using it with) and the speaker is loud enough that even in a fairly noisy situation, I can hear the person on the other end of the line talking.  I find it comes in handy when I'm in the car or in a situation where more than 1 of us wants to talk to someone else.

The camera blows me away.  A 2.0 megapixel camera has more resolution than my first digital camera!  That said there are some major limitations to this camera.  It has significant shutter lag and doesn't do well in low-light situations.  It also only has a digital zoom, so you won't get very high quality photos when you are zoomed all the way in.  You can also use the camera to shoot video.  If you are using the phone's internal memory you can only shoot 30-second videos, but if you are saving to a Micro-SD card, the length of the video is limited only by your storage space.

I've found the Micro-SD card to be a handy addition to my phone.  I went out and purchased a 1-gigabyte card and installed it in the phone.  Now I can pretty much take an unlimited number of photos and videos and when I want to get them on my computer, I can just take the card out and download them, instead of having to pay Verizon's fees to send the photos and videos.

**Call Quality & Reception**

This is a phone first and foremost of course, so call quality and reception are probably the most important features.   Compared to my older phone that this one replaced, the reception has been significantly better in areas where in the past, I might have not had a signal or had spotty service at best.  I was slightly concerned at the lack of an exterior antenna on the VX8700, but it doesn't appear to be a problem.

The call quality is very good too.  I've found it to be pretty much static free and besides a dropped call here and there due to a loss of the signal, I haven't had any real problems with the phone.  People I'm talking to haven't complained about the call quality either - both ends of the line hear each other very well.  Even on the speakerphone the call quality is quite good.

**Battery Life**

If you go by Verizon's numbers, the VX8700 is rated for about 200 minutes or a little over 3 hours of talk time on a full charge. If you were to just leave the phone in standby mode, the charge is expected to last around 240 hours (or about 10 days).  I've found is that I've got to charge the phone about every 2 to 3 days with regular usage each day, which includes making and receiving several calls and a day in addition to taking some photos and videos from time to time.

**My Only Serious Problem with the VX8700**

After about 3 months of pretty flawless service, my phone apparently suffered a software "glitch" or as the Verizon tech said to me, "it crashed." The crash caused the phone to shut itself off and not turn back on again. I took it back to Verizon and went through their repair service in the store and discovered that the phone was pretty much as dead as a phone could get.  Since the phone was under warranty, I was given a new phone. That new phone has been working fine since I received it, which is now almost a year and a half.  The only thing that I do differently now though, is make sure that any photos or videos are saved to the Micro-SD card and as for my contacts, I use Verizon's backup utility so I don't lose any of those. I asked the tech if this had been a common problem and she said that she hasn't seen any other of these phones fail like this. So perhaps it was just a fluke.

**Overall**

I admit that the look of the phone was what first grabbed me, but now that I've been using the VX8700 for a while, I really like all that it offers.  Having the first phone crash and die scared me a bit, but having had the replacement now for almost a year and a half without any problems, I'm thinking it was just a bad apple.  I use my VX8700 just about every day and love it and I'm glad that I have it.  It's turned out to be a good phone all around.

My life!

from Clarence, NY

Comments about LG - Cell Phone:

I have gone through many phones, and by far this is my favorite. It is very durable and can handle almost anything. I Dont even need a case! Most of my phones are very sensitive to water damage but never had a problem with this LG. I do have some problems with the camera part. And had to take it in to tech services once. but besides that, this is a great phone.

lg blew it on this phone ,more to follow

from Barre, VT

Comments about LG - Cell Phone:

I owned a lg vx 8100 ,thinking that this phone which is a few years down the road meaning "should be more advance than what I own now "I liked the 8100 very much was trouble free and well built just needed a "more advance phone" what a mistake this phone the 8700 is.My 8100 blew this phone away in every category possible and now I am stuck with this piece of junk phone.Have you ever  been outdoors with your phone and needed to see the screen who in the world has not? Well the screen outdoors on this phone is almost impossible to see in daylight.My 8100 was much better. My 8100 front screen was readable in daylight the 8700 small vertical screen in daylight can not be seen,Its totaly worthless very very very disappointing. I can not even check the time on it as you cant see it unless you are inside. What a joke . One thing a cell phone should have is a screen that can be viewed inside and out as most of us probably use this phone more outside than inside thus a screen that you cant see is worthless and the screen on the lg 8700 INCLUDING the internal screen is very  hard to see in the daylight and if sun is out your guessing as to what you are seeing .Now my 8100 was not super but better in daylight than the more advanced 8700. Where the micro sd card is inserted is stupid as well,you have to remove battery in order to remove or insert it a real pain,the 8100 was inserted or removed from outside on the side of the phone perfect!Now if you want to listen to music this is the best part of all you have to plug in a converter type dongle and let it hang from the phone and then plug in your earbuds/phones what a total joke this is .Who in gods name thought of this ? The 8100 once again all you did was just plug them in to the top of the phone no dongle needed why would lg do away with this and make you use a dongle which is clumsy and in the way? I dont get it. Who was the idiot that designed this phone love to chat with them.Oh yea the external speaker as case may be is horrible the 8100 blew this away totaly no comparison what so ever.I am having a very very hard time thinking of something positive about this phone ,oh yea one more thing battery is also horrible it does not last half the time as my 8100 I dont get it . How anyone could give this phone a good rating must of owned a old motorola bag phone as a comparison!

lets see want me to continue i can but i wont I hate this frickin phone wish i would of stuck with my 8100 which was really thought out and much better made than this JUNK!

LG went back about 5 to 6 years in technology and design with this phone all I can say is dont buy it if you owned a previous lg phone as you will be disappointed like me expecting a more advanced and better design phone than what you had but not the case with the VX 8700 rated on a 1 to 10 scale 2 my 8100 lg would of rated about a 7

Great Phone!

from Puyallup, WA

Comments about LG - Cell Phone:

I love this phone, but the pictures are often dark or discolored when using the camera.  It is a fragile phone.  Overall, I love the phone, but it could be better.  I would, however, recommend it to a friend.  It's got a great design.  For the clumsy crowd, it's hard to find the numbers without looking to dial or text quickly.