View more cell phones

LG - Blue Mint Chocolate Cell Phone

LG - Blue Mint Chocolate Cell Phone

3.5

The LG Chocolate 2 is a huge upgrade from the first

I got this phone as my third phone, the first being the chocolate. Although a bit skeptical, I bought it because I had heard good things about it and also because it looked sleek and felt nice to hold. I like how they replaced most of the oversensitive touch buttons with the new wheel and also, when on the phone, the touch part of the phone automatically locks itself so your cheek doesn't accidentally touch anything. I think it's sort of strange where they put the clear button and where they put the end button. I felt like the clear button should've been on the touch part of the phone and the end button should've been on the keyboard.

The camera on the phone was actually surprisingly good for a free phone. Also, texting on this phone was really convenient. At first I was disgusted by how small the keys were but after a while, I got really fast with it; even faster than I am now with my LG cosmos. I just realized all the phones I have owned have been LG. I guess it says a lot about them.

I would highly recommend the chocolate 2 as anyone getting a new phone as it's just great and way way better than it's predecessor. I'm sad because this phone fell in the toilet, somebody called me while I was in my room and my phone happened to vibrate into the toilet. Pretty cool story but the outcome sucked.

Chocolate phones are not so sweet....

The LG Chocolate was, at best, an ok phone.  You should know that the music capabilities (which is what "sold" many people on the chocolate) are REALLY not user friendly.  You have to use the ear phones they provide, and they are AWFUL.  Downloading your music, and the quality of sound, is not too bad.  But the only way I've found to comfortably listen to the music I've downloaded is to play it out loud (not exactly good for when you're out in public), or to sit there holding the earphones into your ears (and, thus, looking really crazy).

The app that allows you to hear & identify a song playing (on TV, in a bar) is a very cool idea.  The only problem is that it takes so long to get through all the buttons you have to push to get to the app, that half the time the song is over by the time you've reached the point where you can click on "identify this song".

Voice quality on the phone is good, and clarity on the screen is good.  However, in the 2-year contract period I have had to return THREE phones & get a replacement one, because it just seems to keep breaking.  Now I'm at the end of my contract, and CAN'T WAIT to buy a new phone.  It seems about once a week, the Chocolate loses the ability to do something it used to know how to do.  The first thing to go was that it "forgot" all the not-normal-English words I often use, so that when texting I'd have to go back and type them in in ABC format instead of in WORD.  Next, it erased all my favorites from the (already very limited) internet search.  Next, it erased all my speed dials.  Simultaneously, it erased the "default" number for any of my contacts who had more than one number.  It also, about 2-3 times a day, shuts off in the middle of doing something.

I know that phones are not designed to last for longer than the contract period anymore.  But this one I got as a replacement halfway into my contract period, and within 6 months all the above problems started occuring.

The Chocolate is a piece of garbage!!!

Great Camera Phone

from Milford, OH

Comments about LG - Blue Mint Chocolate Cell Phone:

The LG Chocolate is a great phone, but it does take some getting used to.  This is a simple phone with a very good instruction manual (but who reads those, right?)  When first using this phone, it seems way too sensitive with it touchscreen, all the menus and even the mobile web.  During the first month, I truly wanted to send it back,  After the second, really began to utilize all the features, from the camera to the multiple alarms.  After a year, I would buy it again.  If you want a phone that has a great design, will not be dialed accidentally, and one that has many perks, this is the phone for you.

Really cool phone, but very sensitive.

from Cleveland, TN

Comments about LG - Blue Mint Chocolate Cell Phone:

I really like this phone and love the fact that it has expandable memory.  It is sleek and stylish.  It has a decent camera, good size buttons for texting, and definitely has a loud enough ringer.  The only down side to this phone is that the buttons are so sensitive that you can push them with your cheek while talking on the phone.  I have also had trouble making over the phone payments.  When you push the buttons to punch in account numbers it starts bringing up the speed dial directory and mute options.

I LOVE my new LG Blue Mint Chocolate cell phone!

from Athens, AL

Comments about LG - Blue Mint Chocolate Cell Phone:

I just recieved this phone yesterday and it is beautiful and functional! Feel free to ask any questions... My husband got the dark cherry chocolate and he's not very "electronics oriented" like I consider myself and he loves his also.  I love the sleek design.  I ordered it to work as my main telephone and mp3 player.  I haven't gotten to download my music to it yet so i'm not sure how good the player is... One thing the speaker kind of echos though

never buy a phone for its' color...

from Largo, FL

Comments about LG - Blue Mint Chocolate Cell Phone:

I originally bought the first version of Verizon's "Chocolate" phone because they offered it in "Chocolate Mint" which happens to be my very favorite color green. Aside from the fact that it was among the first "slide" phones, it also offered "touch" technology (pad, not screen). After 10 months or so, I began to get the deadly "white screen" and the phone would shut off for no apparent reason. I went in to Verizon expecting to make an enormous case for why they should replace my phone, but I was stunned when the Customer Service Representative took my phone and informed me that they would upgrade me to the Chocolate 2 at no cost. Of course Version 2 wasn't offered in green (the only reason I chose that phone in the first place), so I was stuck with black.

I've had the phone for just over a year, and will not be upgrading to Chocolate 3 when I'm looking to replace it. The only reason would be that the touch pad feature is mildly annoying and is constantly causing accidental muting or clearing of messages when you hold it to your ear. Other than that, the camera takes surprisingly nice pictures and it stores a ton of music. Without a full keyboard, texting is incredibly slow by today's standards, but all in all I'm not disappointed.

I love this phone

from Lawton, OK

Comments about LG - Blue Mint Chocolate Cell Phone:

I was given the LG Chocolate 8550 phone Dec. 07. And have had it now with no problem. The only thing is after about a year the batterie life went to about 1.5 hours talk and 3 hours standby. This phone takes wonderful picture, and calls are clear. It's ease of use is great. I would buy this phone again. I'm very please

D.D.G.Lawton ok.

LG Chocolate - Way too sensitive

from New York, NY

Comments about LG - Blue Mint Chocolate Cell Phone:

I got the LG Chocolate phone because of its looks and design.  I liked the sliding feature to reveal the keys versus flipping it open.  And I also liked the navigation wheel and the touchscreen feature.  However, this phone is just way too sensitive!  As you are speaking to someone or just checking your messages, if your cheek rests against the screen or even just brushes it, the touchscreen starts going crazy.  All you hear are buttons being pressed while you're trying to hear the person on the other line.  The sounds of the buttons interfere and distract from hearing.  It is extremely annoying and in order to stop the buttons from going crazy, you have to make sure you hold the phone at a 45 degree angle, so that the earpiece is the only part touching you.  It's a pain!  I've been on important phone calls and have had this happen and have had to ask the person to repeat himself or herself.  It was embarrassing.  This problem makes me regret buying this phone.

Gotta Love Chocolate!

Comments about LG - Blue Mint Chocolate Cell Phone:

for the longest time i had the LG - VX8550 Blue Mint Chocolate Cell Phone. it took great pictures, and worked very fast. the navigation wheel was amazing. it made everything so so so sooooooooo much faster. it allowed you to scroll through pictures in a second, scroll through text messages in a breeze and it made just about everything better. i love also whenever i got a call the navigation wheel lit up and made a cool design. [which of course were one of threee possible choices.] the only downfall to the phone was after having it for about a year-ish. it would shut off sometimes. of course alot of LG's do that but it is deffinately annoying. i heard [never tried] that if you just put a tiny pievce of paper between the battery it holds it to the connecter better so that the battery will have a better connection allowing it to not turn off due to the fact that it is connected better. i now have the chocolate touch, and i love it. =] gotta love chocolate

I miss my Chocolate Cell Phone!

from Jacksonville, NC

Comments about LG - Blue Mint Chocolate Cell Phone:

I had this phone for a long time. I loved just about everything about it. It was a great size, it was stylish, and it was easy to operate. I never had any major issues with this phone and it lasted. It was durable as well.

After two years, I finally upgraded my cell phone to a newer one. Because I had been so happy with the chocolate, I didn't put much thought into it and got the new touch screen chocolate. That was a huge mistake. The new version, which doesn't slide open at all and is a touch screen is not nearly as nice. The camera is better, but that's about it. The touch screen gets to be a complete pain, and it falls apart every time it is dropped... even if it's just a short distance and onto the carpet. The thing just completely falls apart!

I wish I still had my old Chocolate. It really was a wonderful phone. Of course, you're always going to have the random freeze up and what not, but I think that happens with most cell phones. Generally, I never had any problems with this phone. I miss it!

Basic small sliding cell phone

from Fullerton, CA

Comments about LG - Blue Mint Chocolate Cell Phone:

The LG vs8550 aka chocolate 2. I've since moved on , had it a few years ago, late 2007, but it can still be purchased on the cheap used. It followed the original chocolate, has music playing capability that I liked, and loaded up with mp3s  with a mechanical scroll wheel. Nice small cameraphone that is thin and slides out, very easy fits comfortably in the pocket. Has a glossy finish. Good overall quality, sound quality, ease of use, decent battery life, has capability for a microSD to fit more music or pictures. I used a bitpim to access and manage my pictures, contacts, ringtones which was nice. Had to buy a usb data cable seperately for that though. Draw back would be overly sensitive scroll wheel that would accidently move if bumped into. Not really optimal for those with big fingers. I also didn't like how some items were buried in the menus. It would take multiple steps to set the alarm for example. Overal nice sturdy phone, small in size and works well.

Very Functional Cell Phone

from Warren, MI

Comments about LG - Blue Mint Chocolate Cell Phone:

The LG Chocolate 2 (VX8550) Black is a fantastic phone. It maintains good reception and very good battery life. I owned the first chocolate which unfortunately broke, leaving me with an upgrade as the best option. Pretty much everything that bugged me or annoyed me or irritated me about the first chocolate was fixed in this second one. The scroll wheel takes a little getting used to, especially if you're used to using a ipod. It has a similar idea, but took me a week or so to get used to.

I loved the features that it improved. Some certian helps like allowing you to delete more than one contact at a time was very helpful. The didn't just improve the look of the chocolate, they fixed all the little bugs.

I would still be using this phone if the power plug adapter hadn't broken (inside the phone). I'm not as careful as i should be with my phone while it is in the charger. If youre a person who plugs your phone in and leaves it on the sink...this is a great phone.