Other Grains & Pastas:
Kraft Homestyle Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese Dinner

Kraft Homestyle Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese Dinner

Pros

Cons

Not just the same old same old, after all!

Leave it to Gigi to get me thinking about Macaroni and Cheese in general with her [Chef Boyardee review][1] of recent date.  The fact is that I have knocked back a lot of macaroni and cheese during the course of my lifetime, especially since I moved out on my own back in 1965.  There were some years when my festive Sunday dinner of choice would be that type of ***Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Deluxe Dinner ***that came in a comparted box containing elbow pasta and a small metal can of cheese sauce to die for.  I would cook that up, add tuna or ground beef, maybe tomatoes or mushrooms, onions, etc., then dump it all into a casserole and top with extra shredded cheese and heat to a golden brown in the oven.  In those days, that was good enough for Sunday dinner and two or three more days out of it as well.  I know more about nutrition now but old memories die hard and so I bought a package of ***Kraft Homestyle Deluxe Macaroni & Cheese Dinner***.

**WHAT THIS IS:**

When I ordered ***Kraft Homestyle Deluxe Macaroni & Cheese Dinner ***from [Peapod][2] , I used a good coupon and so was not caretful about reading the product description.  I guess I hoped that this new version would have be a frozen meal, ready to heat and eat.  Alas, I was a bit taken aback when I saw what looked like the Same Old Same Old -- elbow pasta packaged along with a foil pouch of cheese sauce.  Not only did I have to boil the pasta (God forbid!) but I also had to prepare some kind of **sauce**.  For a gal whose idea of Macaroni and Cheese has simmered down to hot pasta combined with shredded cheddar or four-cheese mix, this seemed like extra fussing around.  Julia Child might have weathered it all good naturedly but I was a bit peevish by the time I finally finished this culinary "project" and sprinkled the bread crumbs topping on top so you can believe me when I say that ***Kraft Homestyle Deluxe Macaroni & Cheese Dinner ***is worth the little extra effort.

**STATS:**

***Kraft Homestyle Deluxe Macaroni & Cheese Dinner ***is so rich, creamy and satisfying that you really can get four servings out of all this.  I added the requisite 1/2 cup 2% milk and used two tblsp. [Promise Spread][3] instead of two tblsp. unsalted butter.  Label information for this product after it is prepared according to instructions indicates that a single serving contains:  340 calories with 120 calories from fat.  There are 8 grams Total Fat, 2.5 grams Saturated Fat, zero Trans Fat, 15 mg. Cholestgerol, 690 mg. Sodium, 41 grams Total Carbs, 1 gram Dietary Fiber, 3 grams Sugars, and 10 grams Protein.  Also in play are 6% (D.V.) Vitamin A, 15% Calcium and 8% Iron.  All of this may seem like a full plate as far as calories, fat, and sodium are concerned but remember that it is a **dinner** and not a between-meal snack.

**MY VIEWPOINT:**

I scarfed up the first single serving of ***Kraft Homestyle Deluxe Macaroni & Cheese Dinner ***right away and just as it was with no garnish, to get an accurate idea of the taste.  It was delicious and that single serving was my lunch even for this big eater!  Later on, in the evening, another serving warmed up beautifully on a plate as a "side" along with canned tuna and cherry tomatoes cut in half for a vegetable.  I won't lie to you, I still think that my own Macaroni and Cheese tastes the best but*** Kraft Homestyle Deluxe Macaroni & Cheese Dinner ***runs a close second and I heartily recommend it.  This might be an interesting project for a young girl who is just learning to cook and who might enjoy the extra steps and fussing around.

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Chef-Boyardee-Mac-amp-Cheese-review-ab436
[2]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Peapod-com-review-a5402
[3]: http://www.viewpoints.com/promise-Buttery-Spread-review-f4355

Kraft Homestyle Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese Dinner-Homestyle???

This is my first food review and I wasn't really sure I wanted to write it **UNTIL** my son said tonight, "Mom, what's for dinner? hope it's not that gross Macaroni and Cheese you made the other night!" So with that comment by him, I was prompted to write this tonight.

I was given a coupon for Kraft Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese Dinner and was excited to try it. Our family loves Mac and Cheese, especially homemade Mac and Cheese. So I cooked this new product with dinner the other night. It says it is suppose to be rich and creamy but it had a thick almost rubbery consistency. The taste was rather bland and the cheese not very cheesy. I had to grate cheese on top to try to help it out. My family hated the bread crumb topping. It was more like stale crackers. It might be better without that or with added cheese or maybe some creamy Velveeta added to it- yea that might help- oops that makes it a different product. Sorry Kraft! I just was not impressed at all. It may have been simple and quite easy to make but still it was not worth the effort or the money- coupon or not. But I say try it you might like it! There are alot of free coupons floating around out there- never know. Everybodies tastebuds are different!

Won't buy this again

from Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Cons

• Bad Flavor

Comments about Kraft Homestyle Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese Dinner:

I have always loved Kraft's Macaroni & Cheese- in every flavor & style- except for this one. The sauce is VERY thin & runny; and it is practically tasteless; not recommended to anyone.

So delicous and perfect for mac and cheese lovers!

Comments about Kraft Homestyle Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese Dinner:

I will first say that this takes a little bit of time to prepare, but for me that is just fine because I like this so much better than homemade mac and cheese. It takes about the same amount of time to make as homemade mac and cheese, so if you do have a recipe you love and can make yourself, just make that. For me, this is perfect because it is delicious, cheesy, and comforting.

The instructions are very clear, so once you make it a few times, you basically can just make it without the instructions.

I love mac and cheese and I think this brand and product is my favorite. I've had homemade, frozen, and restaurant made mac and cheese. This one is by far the best tasting in my point of view.

I think kids will love the delicious cheese flavor and breadcrumbs, they give it a little something extra.

The price is also pretty good. I find it to be a better deal that going out and buying, milk, cheeses, noodles, and breadcrumbs separately.

Give it a try!

Easy Dish

Comments about Kraft Homestyle Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese Dinner:

I am in love with all things Macaroni and cheese. When Kraft released this product into the market I had to give it a try. For those who make their own baked mac and cheese and have perfected their recipe over the years, this may not float your boat. This is definitely convenient if you want to raise the bar on the typical mac and cheese dinner.

Kraft Homestyle-Better, quicker way to eat (to us)

Comments about Kraft Homestyle Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese Dinner:

Well my family has been eating Kraft macaroni and cheese original for many many years so when the home-style version came out of course we tried it! I found that is was easier instead of making it baked in the pan after boiling the noodles and adding all the mix-ins, that you make it like regular mac and cheese and just add the tasty bread crumbs on top! Its just a quicker version and it tastes better than the original Kraft macaroni and cheese. There unique flavored breadcrumbs they include with it! Normally i would just buy the regular kind and add breadcrumbs, but the difference is price really is hardly anything and the bread crumbs taste better than ones I've bought and gives it the perfect kick for a great tasting dinner delight! I would pick yourself up one or two and leave them in the cabinet in case you want a lazy cooking night because its quick and easy to whip up and you don't really need anything but the basic essentials you should always have in your fridge.

Amazingly delicous instant macaroni and cheese.

Comments about Kraft Homestyle Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese Dinner:

This macaroni and cheese is sooooooo delicious! I love it so much. This macaroni and cheese has a sauce that is to die for. It is so creamy and decadent that I can't get enough of it. Another thing I love about this macaroni and cheese is that it has an amazing bread crumb topping. The bread crumbs are just the right size and don't get stuck in my teeth. I also like their unique flavor. They add a subtle flavor and crunch to the dish that isn't too overpowering. I also like the size of the dish. It's enough to last me for at least 2 days ( FYI: I am single and live alone). When I make this, it usually saves me time from cooking for a few days, which I love. I also like how easy it is too make this macaroni and cheese. I just put it in the microwave and when I come back the macaroni pasta is done. Then I quickly add the cheese sauce, stir it together, and my meal is complete. It is so quick and easy!

Easy but not worth it

from Bangor, ME

Comments about Kraft Homestyle Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese Dinner:

This meal was very easy to make yet it did not come out the way I had hoped. I have 3 very fussy children who LOVE Macaroni and Cheese dinners. I've made Kraft Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese previously so decided to try this all in one meal. When making this dinner, there are more steps than when you make your standard run of the mill Macaroni and Cheese dinners. There is a bread crumb that goes over the top of the macaroni. This bread crumb has little to no flavor and a weird texture. The meal itself has a pasty texture, it's very sticky and no matter what I was doing to get the cheese to be creamy, it was just making it more sticky and almost non-edible. The cheese also had a weird flavoring to it and not as cheesy or rich as I would have liked for a Macaroni and Cheese dinner. I did not bake this meal as was advised on the package since it already looked like the cheese and/or pasta was drying out quickly or not as moist as I would have liked.

Kraft Homestyle Mac & cheese

from Jonesboro, AR

Comments about Kraft Homestyle Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese Dinner:

Not really worth the extra money and trouble it takes to make this according to the directions. I would rather just buy the plain Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and add the butter, milk and my own extra cheese and bake in the oven.

quick and easy, but not that cheesy

from Troy, MI

Comments about Kraft Homestyle Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese Dinner:

Honestly I would rather buy the boxed macaroni and cheese I think. I liked it better than Velveeta shells and cheese but I made a hamburger mac dinner with it. I thought it could have been cheesier. It could have been different though since I added ground turkey - that obviously changed the taste. We had some leftover and when I reheated it for lunch the other day I added a spoon of salsa and some sour cream to give it some flavor which helped.

We love the Kraft Homestyle Deluxe Mac N Cheese dinner!

Comments about Kraft Homestyle Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese Dinner:

We like the Parmesan style a lot. It's best if baked per the directions, adding some shredded Mozzarella on top prior to the bread crumbs before baking. I mix the bread crumbs with a little melted butter to give it more of a crispy, golden topping. It's easy to prepare and tastes great. I haven't tried the regular style, but I do recommend the Parmesan style.

Surprisingly good!

from Keller, TX

Comments about Kraft Homestyle Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese Dinner:

I am a mac and cheese SNOB. I typically do not like any mac and cheese aside from my favorite that I have eaten for years. The Homestyle was actually REALLY good! It tasted a bit more gourmet than I anticipated. My boys loved it!