View more photo printers

8161960
Kodak EasyShare Printer Dock Plus Photo

Kodak EasyShare Printer Dock Plus Photo

4.1

An affordable, portable, personal, printing solution

***Bottom-Line:*** If you need an affordable, versatile, portable photo printer for your Kodak digital camera, look no further then the **EasyShare Printer Dock Plus.  **
Read complete review

Before deciding on a new digital camera I did a considerable amount of research on the entire line of Kodak digital camera's and printer dock's before I decided to put the *EasyShare CX-7530* and the *EasyShare Printer Dock Plus* photo printer on my Christmas wish list two years ago.  *Kodak* has long been a leader in photographic technology, and they have a fairly diverse lineup of digital cameras to fit any budget; almost too diverse.  But the company thankfully only offers four models of printer dock.

Speaking of printers, I knew I wanted a stand alone photo printer, a printer I could print pictures from independent of my computer.  Not only that, but I wanted a printer capable of not only mating with the camera, but one also capable of accepting a SD (Secure Digital), Multimedia Media Card (MMC) memory cards, and USB flash drives.  I also wanted a printer that would accept input from PICTBRIDGE-enabled cameras (direct printing).  And finally, I wanted a photo printer with a small footprint and I wanted to be able to print from my computer if need be.  The *Kodak* **EasyShare Printer Dock Plus** photo printer fit my criteria perfectly.

**Installation & Standalone Usage**

The first thing that will strike you-I know it struck me-about the brushed silver **EasyShare Printer Dock Plus** is the diminutive size of the box; it will literally sit comfortably in my hand with very little overhang.  That is, without the printer tray installed.  The install process for stand alone operations is relatively simple.  The digital camera sits on top of the printer dock within a universal plastic insert that comes with the printer; simply snap it into place.

Next, I installed the printer's color cartridge into the right side of the **EasyShare Printer Dock Plus; **the opening is covered by a hinged access door that fits snugly into place.  As per instructions, I tightened the spool before inserting the cartridge.  The **EasyShare Printer Dock Plus** shipped with a combination of 10 sheets of photo paper and a color cartridge to get you started.  *Kodak *sells Color Cartridge and Photo Paper kits containing 40 sheet of photo paper and a color cartridge good for 40 prints.

You install the photo paper in the included paper tray that slides into the front of the printer.  When not in use the paper tray should be removed and the door to the tray opening closed to prevent dust from collecting inside.  The paper path takes the paper trough the printer and out the back of the unit via a thin horizontal slot.  The paper passes through printer four times per picture, so care must be taken to install the printer in a space where the back has plenty of clearance.

The left side of the printer is where all the goodies are; i.e. SD/MMC slot, A/V Out, USB port, and PictBridge port are located behind an easy access door.  The back of the printer is bare except for the aforementioned paper path slot at the bottom, as well as a power connector and USB port for connecting to a computer.  **Note:** there is no power switch; a confusing omission, but I simply remove the power cord from the power jack when the **EasyShare Printer Dock Plus** is not in use.

**Kodak EasyShare System **

The Easy Share system is a seamless integration between camera and printer, which allows one to print professional grade borderless 4x6 photos without the a computer middle-man.  The digital camera-in my case the **EasyShare** **CX-7530**-sits on top of the EasyShare Printer.  Once you are done taking pictures, you place the camera on the **EasyShare Printer Dock Plus** and push the larger silver EasyShare button and start printing. That's it.

On the top of the **EasyShare Printer Dock Plus** is the heart of the EasyShare system; there are a plethora of the (green LED backed) buttons needed to produce outstanding prints.  Here as well is the port upon which a Kodak CX/DX/LS digital camera can be placed and recharged.  Once a camera is placed on top of the **EasyShare Printer Dock Plus** it affords you access to all of the pictures therein, whether they are stored in the camera's internal memory or stored on an SD memory card.  The current picture is displayed on the camera's view screen.  With the *4-way control* *button* situated in the center of the printer dock, you can scroll left and right to choose which picture you want to print, and up and down to denote the number of copies wanted.

**Computer Usage   * *  * *           **

The CX-7530 ships with *Kodak EasyShare* software.  The *EasyShare software'* functionality is rudimentary at best, but the software must be loaded before you connect the **EasyShare Printer Dock Plus** to your computer the first time.  Once I plugged the **EasyShare Printer Dock Plus** into an available USB port, *Windows XP* automatically detected the printer and installed the drivers for it, and placed an icon for it under **Windows Printers & Faxes** as is any normally installed printer.  *Windows XP* also detected the printer dock's SD/MMC memory card slot; however it will not see the actual card when inserted.

I found the *EasyShare software* hard to navigate at first, but once I got the hang of it, it was easy enough to use.  The pictures stored in the camera are transferred via the EasyShare software, to the computer for viewing, storing, editing, or printing.  Like I stated above, the software's functionality is rudimentary at best and you may want to get a third party image editing software package if you want to do serious image editing;

On the plus side you can now utilize the **EasyShare Printer Dock Plus** as you would any other printer and print pictures already stored on your computer on it, via the *EasyShare software*.  Also, once attached to a computer, you can push the *Transfer Button/light* on the **EasyShare Printer Dock Plus **front panel and transfer pictures from the camera into the software interface.

Alternatively, you can initiate the transfer process via the *EasyShare software*.  Transferring 1.5MB + pictures over a USB 2.0 connection does not take long; I was able to transfer some 25 pictures from my CX-7530, all taken with the highest resolution in under three minutes, which I do not think unreasonable.

Once transferred to the computer, picture can be edit, enhanced etc. and then sent back to the printer for printing.

**Print Quality**

Prepare yourself to be dazzled!  Both my wife and I were stunned by the quality of print this little printer is able to produce.  Except for some blue tinged white areas, we have complaints about the output of the **EasyShare Printer Dock Plus.  **The pictures are bright, crisp, and sharply detailed.**  **The colors are rich and vibrant and as good as anything from a professional photo finishing establishment.

**My Viewpoint **

The Kodak **EasyShare Printer Dock Plus** is the prefect companion to my *CX-7530* digital camera.  I am enamored with the functionality of this small standalone unit; its ability to accept input and print from a variety of different sources make the **EasyShare Printer Dock Plus **a cost effective (199.95 retail) printing solution.  And the machines seamless integration with the entire line of Kodak EasyShare cameras ensure that no matter which camera you choose, the **EasyShare Printer Dock Plus** will fit your needs.

The addition of wireless/Bluetooth functionality only adds to the versatility of this must have camera accessory.  If you need an affordable, versatile, portable photo printer for your Kodak digital camera, look no further then the **EasyShare Printer Dock Plus.  **

This printer dock is horrible.....buyers beware!

I wanted this printer dock because I wanted to be able to print my pictures for home.  I was disappointed from the beginning.  The paper would get stuck and then to get it out you have to pull it out.  The side of the paper would rip and then be stuck in the printer.  It also wasted the ink for one picture when it did this.  The ink is rater expensive as it is.  I was very disappointed in this product.

I like it, I like it alot!

from Waterford, MI

Comments about Kodak EasyShare Printer Dock Plus Photo:

I like this printer.  It prints the pics very nice.  I liked the fact that it was very easy to set up.  It was easy to use also.  I do wish it took regular size paper and not just 4 x 6 paper. Also, it would be nice if there were more options for creating photo packages

Best thing made for simple and easy picture taking and printing

from Reading, PA

Comments about Kodak EasyShare Printer Dock Plus Photo:

Never had so much fun taking pictures. Owned mine for over a year now and can't take enough pictures. GREAT for saving memories. Best investment I ever made and worth every penny. If you don't have one, get one. You'll quickly learn what I have learned. Thank you Kodak !!

nice and compact

from Gulfport, MS

Comments about Kodak EasyShare Printer Dock Plus Photo:

This printer is nice and compact when it comes to printing out pictures but the ink cartridge has to be replaced too often. It also seems to be non-economical in the way the ink and paper are sold together and not separately...it seems an inconvenience to the consumer. All in all the printer produces some very clear pictures and is a good gift idea from an avid picture-printer if they can afford to buy the cartridge/paper combos.

Great printer ~ easy to use

from Spokane, WA

Comments about Kodak EasyShare Printer Dock Plus Photo:

I love my picture printer.  It is easy to use and prints out a pretty good picture. the refills are spendy but I think they are worth it. I am so happy with it I plan on upgrading my camera and I can still use the same dock and printer which is another bonus. It is compatible with the other cameras in the series. I will stick with easyshare for awhile. And for ease of use we bought my 15 year old niece one for christmas and she loves to print her own pictures.

okay but the paper jams and parts are expensive

from Hyattsville, MD

Comments about Kodak EasyShare Printer Dock Plus Photo:

The docking station's paper tray; jams often and it is hard to clear the memory of the

station. The parts are expensive and services are contracted to another company in

which you must pay for shipping, and insurance of your printer beforehand. The Kodak

docking station is not sold in any retailer store anymore.

Kodak has come up with a great thing again

from Janesville, WI

Comments about Kodak EasyShare Printer Dock Plus Photo:

Kodak, you have done it again.  You have come up with the best thing yet.  I have used the printer dock many times and everytime the photos come up looking like professional photos.  Make sure you buy the right paper and it is as easy and l to 3.  The color is exceptional.  Used it while we were in Las Vegas and every picture including the ones taken at night came out just beautiful.  The film may seem high but the money you save from having to take them somewhere to be developed is minimal. Use Kodak paper and you will find that it fits perfectly and the quality is perfect.  The dock has an attachment so that you can use several different  cameras.  Have had several other Kodak camers but now we can just fit the Kodak Easy Share camera on top and print as many pictures as we like.  It is great to use if company is here over the holidays and they want to take some copies with them.  Everyone who has seen it has been as impressed as we are.  If you want to invest some good money into equipment that gives you what you pay for, then the Kodak Easy Share printer dock plus photo is for you.

Kodak Easy Share Printer dock

from Port Jervis, NY

Comments about Kodak EasyShare Printer Dock Plus Photo:

Kodak easy share printer dock prints beautiful photos.  i Have owned it for a few years+.  I do like the printer a lot.  The kodak Digital camera i have i don't like as much my batteries die to quick even though they recharge.  If i could use a different brand of camera with this printer dock i would.

Better then store pictures, Great for home pictures.

from Zephyrhills, FL

Comments about Kodak EasyShare Printer Dock Plus Photo:

This printer dock does more then meets the eye.  Bluetooth compatible, prints from the computer, the camera, your memory card.  I made photo birth announcements with this.  With better then proffessional prints (waterproof, tear resistant) and no wait time for drying, these are well worth the extra money for the ink and paper.  You can't go wrong.  Makes several sizes (standard size pictures, wallet size, and smaller).

awesome

from Oswego, NY

Comments about Kodak EasyShare Printer Dock Plus Photo:

I really enjoy this product. It is so easy to pop the camera on and print out photo's.  No messing around with sizing or positioning... just print.  And I can take the unit with me to parties etc.. and just snap pics.. plug it in and print out pics for everyone.

It is convenient.

from Carthage, MO

Comments about Kodak EasyShare Printer Dock Plus Photo:

I received this photo printer for Christmas last year and it is amazing how it works. It is very convenient if you need a picture right away and can't make it to the store. But I dont really see it saving me any money just yet.