3.5

3.5

Pros

Cons

• Readability:

This is a great little budget eReader.

I have this Kobo in utilitarian black and I'm happy with it. It's got a textured back for more comfortable grippage, and it's a really easy size to tuck into my purse. The navigation buttons been easy to work with for the most part. The QWERTY keyboard pops up whenever you need it and you navigate it with the button on the lower right. This unit can connect to wifi or the computer (via usb) for easy downloading. There's a memory card slot should I ever run out of space (I haven't yet). The battery life is fricking awesome. My favorite feature of this ereader though is that you can program it to use your last read book's cover as the screensaver, even when it's turned off. I love that!

Battery Life
This battery is impressing the heck out of me. Even with it utilizing a little power to keep my last read book's cover on the screen, it has not died yet. Love it!

Book Choices/Variety
You can shop on Kobo's ebook site directly from the ereader, and they've got a decent selection for reasonable prices. You can also download pdf and ePUB books - pretty much anything that Adobe Digital Reader can handle - from other sites onto your computer and then transfer them to the Kobo via usb. You can authorize Adobe Digital Editions on your computer to interface with the Kobo for easier transfer. The non-Kobo downloads don't always save the cover image, and their titles look kinda weird in the Library menu, but they're readable.

Readability
The readability on Kobo bookstore downloads is excellent. It auto adjusts for easiest text size for the average reader, but you can tweak it to your liking through the display settings. The non-Kobo downloads auto adjust to whole page in the display settings, which is harder to read, but again, easily remedied by tweaking. One difference I've noticed with tweaking display settings on the non-Kobo downloads is that sometimes you have to scroll down to view the rest of a page in 100 percent or higher. You never have to do that with the Kobo downloads. Needless to say, Kobo bookstore is favored for readability on downloads with this device.

The Kobo ereader is easy to get the hang of. The navigation buttons on the left side are self-explanatory, and the navigation tool on the lower right is easy to learn. For some reason it keeps forgetting my wifi network information and I have to re-enter that periodically, which is kind of a pain on a QWERTY keyboard. Other than that, Kobo is a breeze. Downloading straight from the website could only be easier if it were touch screen.

This is a nicely designed little ereader for not having a touch screen. The navigation is not counter-intuitive. Very comfortable grip thanks to some texturizing of the plastic on the back of it.

I've dropped this device a few times and it didn't hurt it one bit. It was in the path of some spilled tea on one frantic occasion, and that does seem to have very very slightly discolored a corner of the plastic grip on the back where I was a smidge too slow in rescuing it. It didn't all wipe off either. Otherwise it remains unharmed. I have no intention of taking this product (or any ereader) in the bath to test its water tightness however, so hopefully that was the last adventure with liquids.

Screen Froze twice

I got this ereader as a gift and thought it was very nice at first glance. It is lightweight cute looking and compact. The quality of the display is medeocre compared to that of the kindle/nook but it is not terrible. It worked well for the first few days that I had it however it suddenly froze. The screen went jumbled and i could no longer navigate the device at all. I attempted to reboot it, plug it into my computer, etc but nothing worked. I contacted customer support and they said that it sounded like it was a software issue and that it would have to be replaced snce it was not something they could fix. OK so i went and exchanged it no big deal just a bug. I got the second on and not even a day later this time, it did the same thing! This time i am just returning it and putting that money toward a kindle. i read a number of other reviews for KOBO that said there were similar problems with other customers.

Great little e-reader

Comments about Kobo eReader:

My son won this e-reader at school through a fundraiser. My only issue with it is that it's slow to load graphics for some of the books he reads.

Battery Life
The battery lasts a lot longer than I figured it would - especially on the Glo with the backlight turned on. We charge it once every 7-10 days.

Book Choices/Variety
I was a bit concerned when he won this that there wouldn't be much content for him at 6/7. I was pleasantly surprised and found that most of the books he enjoys reading are available. However, the Cat in the Hat books with a lot of graphics take a lot of time to load.

Readability
It's very easy to read and has different font type and size settings that you can adjust depending on the book you're reading.

Purchasing a book is very simple, adding a shelf is very simple, updating the firmware is simple. Adding books to a shelf took me some time to figure out but once done it's not hard to do. Setting up the wireless network was also very easy.

The Kobo Glo is the perfect size to fit in a pocket on a purse. It fits quite nicely in the glovebox of my car. It's also the perfect size for little hands to hold easily.

My son is not easy on his electronics - it's been dropped and sat on more times than I can count and it's stood up to everything he puts it through.

Not worth my money!

Comments about Kobo eReader:

When I first purchased my Kobo I loved it and had no problems. A few months after I owned it though the device started malfunctioning. It stopped letting me connect to WiFi always saying that there was an error and then a few weeks later it stopped working altogether. It didn't take me long before I updated to the Kindle Fire. Suffice to say the Kobo was a huge waste of my money.

• Readability:

Very affordable ereader, nothing else

from Elizabeth, NJ

Comments about Kobo eReader:

Its an Ereader, nothing else. All you can really do is to read books. The selection is not so great. False advertisment offering 100 free books. You need to know the names or you will not find them. I got about 20 of the classic titles. Not easy use of estore.

ok but not the best

from Campbell, OH

Comments about Kobo eReader:

If you just want an e reader to read books this is ok but be aware there are not many books you can get for it. I can't get books from my library on it. Its cheaper than other readers but not the best in make. I think its cheaply made and not really a good reader like other named brand ones are. Battery life is not really that long I had to charge mine again after 2 hours .

• Readability:

Just like reading a book.

from Saint Petersburg, FL

Comments about Kobo eReader:

I was hesitate about purchasing an eReader because I didn't know if I would get the use out of it. A couple of my friends have purchased these items and I was always trying to find out if they were all that they thought they would be. On vacation I was able to try one and I immediately was able to see why everyone wants to have an eReader, they make everything so easy and compact. My husband purchased a Kobo for me last Christmas and I have taken it on vacation and it makes me want to read more as I am able to take what I want to read without it being so heavy and cumbersome. The Kobo is so easy to use and it has everything that you need in an eReader. I like that there isn't any glare as I like to read outside in the sun and I am able to see the page without having to move the eReader in a better direction, as I have seen you have to do with other types of eReader. The Kobo is a basic eReader but you are able to get more expensive models that you can connect to the internet but I just wanted an eReader for reading books. Very happy with the Kobo and would recommend that you also purchase a cover for your Kobo just to keep it clean and protected.

Battery Life
Never had a problem with the battery life.

So easy to use right out of the box.

The same size as a book and very easy to hold.

Nifty and easy to use

from Sacramento, CA

Comments about Kobo eReader:

I've had the Kobo for a couple years now and it's very easy to use. It stays charged for a long time. The lighting is great, but I wouldn't recommend it in outdoor use and you certainly can't read in the dark. The Kobo gets the job done but don't expect fanciness.

• Readability:

Okay as a beginner tablet

Comments about Kobo eReader:

The Kobo was given to me as a gift and I have enjoyed it, but plan to upgrade to a different reader for a couple of reasons. First, the battery life of my Kobo leaves a bit to be desired. I generally leave it plugged in when not in use. The battery indicator seems to be miscalibrated because it'll go from a full battery to almost no charge in the course of 20 pages. Second, the button on the bottom is not convenient for me. It's right where I like to hold the reader, so I'm always accidentally pushing it. However, I do enjoy the Kobo and the ease of reading on a tablet versus a physical book.

Good, simple ereader

Comments about Kobo eReader:

I got this eReader a few years ago. It is very simple, nothing fancy. Just your simple, eReader. No apps or anything like that. I like the simplicity of it. I use it for its purpose and have had no problems. You can use ebook from anywhere. Does what is supposed to do.

• Readability:

Portable and Space Saver!!

from Beverly Hills, CA

Comments about Kobo eReader:

I love my Kobo! No more shelves of books and wasted space! All in one small space. easy to transport and the print is what size I want

Battery Life
Does it ever die? Seriously it lasts forever!

Book Choices/Variety
Too much choice! Everything you could ever want!

Readability
Its amazing. I can make the print larger when I am tired!

Very user friendly!

No complaints! Came in my fav colour

Very hardy!

• Readability:

Good price for what you're getting

from Fort Worth, TX

Comments about Kobo eReader:

I enjoy my Kobo very much. It's just a basic eReader, with no other functionality, but for the price you pay, you can't expect too much. I've had mine for a year now, and have had little to few problems with it. Occasionally I have trouble loading books onto it, or it thinks I'm in the middle of 1 book, when really I've been reading another. But, overall, it's a decent buy.