Other Cooking Tools & Gadgets:

KitchenAid Potato Peeler

Pros

Cons

Not Perfect But Works For Skin-Free Potatoes

One of the things that I hate about making mashed potatoes from scratch is having to peel potatoes; I did have a glove that could be used to remove the skin from potatoes but you still needed to have a peeler on hand to get uneven areas and to dig out imperfect parts of the potato or if there are sprouts on it.

Digging out the 'eye' of the potato is easy because this had a sculpted edge to it but if you are not washing your potatoes before you peel them, the dirt and sand that could be on them could end up dulling the blades that are used to peel the skin of the potato off.

I like the thickness of the handle on this one; I wish there was a textured grip to it so that you didn't have to have completely dry hands to be able to use it but I can overlook that. When I use this it's usually to peel about four pounds of potatoes for a big dinner. That is a lot of peeling but as mentioned, as long as you wash the potatoes first your peeler is going to last longer. This is dishwasher safe but I hand wash and air dry mine; there's too much of a chance of food getting stick in the peeler blades to risk putting it in the dishwasher.

This isn't cheap but I know that when I need it for peeling a lot of potatoes it is going to work. Because of the thickness of the barrel this would be something that would be a good pick for those with hand ailments or arthritis if they didn't want to spend the money to get one of the OXO Good Grips peelers.

You need to get all of the starch off of the blades to keep them working perfectly.

This potato peeler is too bulky to do an effective job

I peel a lot of apples and potatoes and it is important to have a good quality potato peeler as most of my peeling is done by hand. My original potato peeler was a simple, metal peeler and it really got the job done. I found that my hand often hurt after peeling, so I decided to replace my older style peeler with the KitchenAid brand of potato peeler. This was a mistake. First, this kitchen gadget is really bulky. I have fairly small hands, and it was extremely difficult to get a good grip on the handle of this potato peeler. Second, the peeler portion of this kitchen gadget was protected by a layer of rubber and this negatively affected my ability to efficiently peel potatoes and apples. I found that this kitchen gadget slowed me down significantly as I was cooking. Being efficient in the kitchen is extremely important. I ended up switching back to my older style potato peeler. The design of this product is not user friendly and really needs revised!

I use this for everything

Comments about KitchenAid Potato Peeler:

I really like to cook and bake, but I am the worst at peeling potatoes, apples, carrots, etc. Since I can't peel them with a kife, I always use the Kitchen Aid Potato Peeler. This makes it really easy to peel fruits and vegetables without having to worry about cutting yourself. Then handle and blade are designed in a way that you don't have to worry about cutting yourself on the blade of the potato peeler.

This was really affordable, and I have not had any problems with the peeler breaking. It's also really easy to wash. I just put it in the utensil part of the dishwasher. That works to clean the potato peeler without leaving any food on the peeler.

This is really easy to clean because I just put it in the dishwasher.

This is designed really well because you don't have to worry about cutting yourself when you use the peeler, like you have to do with some of the other potato peelers on the market.

Not Perfect But Works For Skin-Free Potatoes

from Pittsburgh, PA

This potato peeler is too bulky to do an effective job

great peeler

Comments about KitchenAid Potato Peeler:

The kitchen aid potato peeler is a great peeler. While more expensive than other peelers, the kitchen aid potato peeler is worth the investment. I have had my kitchen aid potato peeler for almost two years, and I have not had any issues with it peeling potatoes. The blades are still sharp and effective in peeling the potatoes.

The kitchen aid potato peeler is very easy to clean. I often will spray water to rinse additional peelings that are stuck on the blade, and then add a touch of dish soap to thoroughly clean the peeler. This takes no longer than five minutes to clean. If you desire, this peeler is dishwasher safe.

This potato peeler is very lightweight and easy to use. It makes a boring task like peeling potatoes enjoyable to do. I have never had an issue with peelings being left on the potatoes or having to repeal a potato because the peeler wasn't effective.

Makes peeling a breeze

Comments about KitchenAid Potato Peeler:

You'd be surprised how hard it is to find a decent peeler. You'd think with a tool so simple just anything would do but I can't tell you how many peelers I've had that I had to toss because they weren't sharp enough or they didn't peel how they were supposed to. So far I really like this peeler and it's actually working how I need it to. We're a big potato family so a good peeler is indispensable and I think this is the one.

Definitely use a brush with bristles to wash this if you're doing it by hand. Starch is hard to get off once it dries. It comes out of the dishwasher spic and span every time I throw it in there.

I peel an outrageous amount of potatoes and other vegetables and fruits. I'm hard on my kitchen tools and this one definitely stands up to the challenge. It hasn't dulled, rusted, or broken.

It's designed to work and not be pretty but with something like this I'm more concerned with what it can do than how it looks so I'm very happy with the design.

This is the best potato peeler I have found.

from Richland, IA

Comments about KitchenAid Potato Peeler:

If anyone is looking for a good potato peeler, then look no further. Kitchenaid makes a euro peeler that is excellent. The handle is a very good size and easy to grip. It is the sturdiest I have ever used. I have recommended this to many friends and relatives. Those who have purchased this brand are also very pleased.

Best one around

from Lacey, WA

Comments about KitchenAid Potato Peeler:

we recently moved to a new state and I lost my peeler during the move. So I asked my hubby to get me one on his way home and he got this one and said that when he was checking out the cashier said that this is a very good peeler and she loves her. Well I wasnt very sure about the peeler as I have never heard this brand before but to My surprise it works great. Peels easily, easy to clean and is also dishwasher safe.

Its been one year since I am using it as hey it work as good as the new one. I didnt expect it to work that well and after using it I realised what a bad peeler I was using before this. Its safe to use ad the way its construted you wont get hurt if you peel the other way around (Away from you). I have recommended this peeler to many other people. Also I recently found it at Target. We got our from the Px.

The handle of this peeler is a good size and sturdy and not life the flimsy one which use see. Its very easy to use and clean.

king sized

from Lincoln, AR

Comments about KitchenAid Potato Peeler:

The Kitchenaid Potato Peeler is just like the rest of Kitchenaid's products- sturdy, well made and reliable. In fact this potato peeler is so sturdy it's almost overkill due to how big the handle is. I'm peeling a potato, not skinning a moose! The peeler's handle is quite wide and about the same size as a Snickers bar! It does have nice chrome accents though and would look good if it were hung on a utensil rack, which it also has a hole in the handle should you choose to do so. From carrots and potatos to apples and peaches, this Kitchenaid Potato Peeler should have more than enough heft to do whatever job you want it to. It's also dishwasher safe so you can just throw it in the dishwasher when done using it and get on with cooking your meals. The Kitchenaid Potato Peeler also comes in several different colors so you should be able to find one that matches your kitchen decor should you choose to hang it up.

My new best friend

from Pearl, MS

Comments about KitchenAid Potato Peeler:

I purchased this potato peeler for the holidays, because I knew there would be tons of potatoes consumed.  I have a very large family, and we love homemade potatoes.  I used to spend hours in the kitchen peeling them by hand with a knife.  I suffered blisters and occasional cuts, but one of my friends mentioned something about a potato peeler the other day so I decided to check them out.  I got one for a great price at the grocery store and unpackaged it and began using it. WOW.  what have i been missing?? It's incredibly easy to use, and so fast.  The next time I went to the store I got one for my mom as well.  They're so handy.  Peeling potatoes is no longer a chore.  It's fast and easy because you just skim the potato with the peeler.  The only thing I don't like about it is that the potatoes are slippery because they're wet, so they're hard to hold on to sometimes.  Other than that, this is a miracle product.  My mom is a traditional cook, and even she is impressed.

Wow. Luxury peeler!

from Woodstock, CT

Comments about KitchenAid Potato Peeler:

So I know it's a little ridiculous to get this excited about...a potato peeler. But wow. I remember being a kid and helping my mom in the kitchen. Back then, we had these awkward metal peelers that, well, peeled more than the potatoes. (Ow, I know.) Then I grew up and discovered Kitchenaid utensils. (Hurray!)

We proudly have two of these in our kitchen drawer. They fit in my hands great. They're comfortable, don't slip, and have a nice protective cover over the blade area. They definitely do the job better than any other one I've tried.

So, if you're just shopping for your own kitchen, shopping for a wedding gift or housewarming present, consider this puppy. It's awesome. And check out Kitchenaid's other gadgets. They're all solid, high-quality products. And, in my opinion, not even that pricey. Definitely worth the money, knowing you're getting something that's going to last for years.