Other Ice Cream Makers:
KICA0WH
KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment for Stand Mixers

KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment for Stand Mixers

• Capacity:

The ice cream bowl for the KitchenAid Mixer is super quick.

The 1.5 quart ice cream bowl for the Kitchen Aid Stand mixer is a great investment.  If you love ice cream but hate the prices for premade, then this is for you.  You can make homemade soft-serve in as little as 25 minutes.  Twenty minutes to freeze it and five minutes to mix up the ice  cream base.

The first thing you do when you get the bowl is to hand wash it out and put it in your freezer over night.  The bowl work even better if you have a deep freeze type freezer, as this makes the bowl even colder and cuts your time down some.  While the bowl is freezing, you can either make up you ice cream base, or you can go but a half-gallon of the soft-serve base ready made, if you have an open to the public type resturant supply store.

When you are ready to make your ice cream, just put on the beater attachment, then the bowl.  Next you will want to start you mixer before you put your base in.  I made this mistake once and had to thaw my bowl out and try again later that day because the base froze so fast and thick to the sides of the bowl that the beaters could not mix it.  Pour your base in and sit back for 15-20 minutes and let it work.

Right towards the end of the mixing you can add any fruit that you want.  I found that canned pie filling works really good and is fairly inexpensive.  But use what you want.  Also strawberries that have been cut up for strawberry shortcake work great in the mix.  Then you can put the strawberry ice cream over the shortcakes.

If your ice cream is not "firm" enough for you you can put bowl and all into the freezer for a little while.  Just make sure to cover the bowl with some plastic wrap and don't let it sit too long.  Otherwise you will have to "chip" out the c\ice cream because it will turn "rock" hard.

When you are done, clean up is a breeze.  You just had wash the bowl, let it dry or you can hand dry it, and put it back into the freezer until needed.  The beaters you can put on the top shelf of your dishwasher or have the little ones, if you have any, hand wash the beater, and you are done.

Not quite what I expected

I was given this as a birthday present last year. I specifically asked for it and was sorely disappointed after getting to use it. I know it was expensive and honestly feel terrible for asking for it. I would never recommend this product to anyone for any reason. I  am completely satisfied with my Kitchen Aid mixer but this was a let down. In order to use it you have to put the bowl in the freezer at least 24 hours before you plan on using it. I, for one, usually decide to make desserts on a whim and that is not possible with this item. So after you have frozen this bowl (which is quite large on it's own) you attach it to your mixer and use it as per the instructions. It is honestly easy to use and operate but bulky. After the ice cream is mixed it is supposed to be put back in the freezer to solidify some more but it doesn't ever really. The "ice cream" is runny and loose, not like any ice cream I've ever made before. The flavor of the ice cream was good but it was just the texture. I would pass up this piece and buy a stand alone ice cream maker instead.

Easy Product To Use

from Good Hope, IL

About Me Gourmet Chef

Pros

• Even Mixing
  • Heavy Duty

Comments about KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment for Stand Mixers:

I got this as a gift from my sister for my birthday. It is great because it easily attaches to my mixer, and it's easy to store. I make a lot of ice cream during the Summer, but was tired of pulling out my old fashioned ice cream maker, which requires I use 15 lbs of ice and 6 cups of rock salt. My Kitchen Made Ice Cream Attachment requires none of that, and the ice cream I make is amazing. It isn't very expensive, and it's easy to clean.

Great product

from Grand Rapids, MI

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Capacity
      • Even Mixing

Cons

• Heavy

Comments about KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment for Stand Mixers:

This is a great product. I had never used a nice cream maker or made ice cream before and this product made my introduction it to is a breeze. The instructions are very easy to read and follow. The attachment itself is pretty heavy and alittle hard instore in the freezer for getting it cold. I did find it a draw back that you have to cool it for 15 hours before use. It makes you have to plan ahead unless you keep it in the freezer all the time. Overall mixing and freezing of the ice cream is very simple. The recipes that come with it are very good. Capacity wise it makes about a quart of ice cream which is plenty for my family. The ice cream maker is very easy to clean. When mixing the ice cream it is fairly quiet. It is a great product for the money. You can make ice cream for less than you can buy it and it tastes much better! I would recommend this product to anyone that has a kitchen aid mixer!

It's a nice addition to my mixer

Comments about KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment for Stand Mixers:

I will say that I think it makes good ice cream. I just don't know that I agree with the value of it. It is nice for the occasional ice cream treat but, we keep it in storage mostly. It's pretty big and not used often enough to leave out.

I think it works well for making ice cream but, you need to plan in advance for it. We are not big ice cream eaters and when we do, it's usually a last minute thing. This has to be planned out and started way in advance which I am not a big fan of.

I think this product is very durable and lives up to a kitchen-aid product.

I wouldn't say it's easy or hard. The steps in and of themselves are simple but, there are a few steps and it's time consuming.

It's really easy to clean and a smooth material.

Capacity
        I think it holds a pretty good amount. I was actually surprised how much it made the first time we used it. For the amount of time it takes, it at least is enough to share with a decent size crowd or have plenty of leftovers.

I wish it was a little less bulky.

Another great attachment.

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment for Stand Mixers:

I love using my Kitchen Aid mixer for so many different things, and my husband went out and bought me this ice cream maker attachment because he knows how much I love to make home made ice cream. It is so easy to use, you just install it into it like you would any other attachment and then add your ingredients. All that is left is to turn it on and it does all of the hard work for you, it makes it so easy and really fast to whip up your own back of home made ice cream. It works so well, the only issue with it is that it puts out a very loud noise when it is mixing up all of the ingredients. The ice cream maker attachment itself is dishwasher safe so it makes cleaning it up really easy, but I have found that it is easier for me to just rinse it out with hot water, it cleans up really easily and can be clean in a second. When I make ice cream I end up getting about 2 quarts out of each time I use this, it makes a pretty decent amount and I can make any flavor I want, and have even tried making frozen yogurt, it just did not turn out how I expected it to. I love using this and love how easy it is for anyone to be able to make ice cream quick and easily at home.

Great Ice Cream Maker

Comments about KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment for Stand Mixers:

This is a great attachment for the Kitchen aid mixer. I just made my first few batches of soft serve ice cream this weekend with this attachment, and it works great! It only takes about 20 to 30 minutes to whip some soft serve ice cream, and it tastes delicious! The bowl fits a 5 quart mixer and I was able to make two quarts of ice cream per batch. I love how you can add your own ingredients to make the flavors you like. I used chunks of fruit in one of the batches I made, and used some coffee to make another batch of chocolate coffee flavored ice cream. It is very easy to use and also to clean when you are finished. The attachment is very inexpensive as well. I thought it would cost at least double of what we paid for it. I would highly recommend this product to anyone, especially if you already have the KitchenAid stand mixer, and you love ice cream!

It is very powerful and works great!

It is very easy to use. My son was able to help me make ice cream, and he was able to add the ingredients he wanted in his own ice cream mixture.

Very easy to clean when you are finished.

Capacity
        It is bug enough to make 2 quarts of ice cream per batch.

Great product

from Grand Rapids, MI

Comments about KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment for Stand Mixers:

I just recently started using this attachment for my mixer. I have used it several times and each time I find something I could change. I have only made vanilla ice cream and each time I use it the ice cream gets better. The instructions say the bowl needs to be frozen 15 hours before use, I would say more like 24 hours. When I had used it after 15 hours the ice cream wasn't as creamy. This is a great investment for a mixer. I found it a lot more convenient to buy an attachment versus a new ice cream maker. The ice cream maker and the dasher wash up really nice. I have hand washed all the parts( the dasher and other attachment can go in the dishwasher) and they wash up really nice. The instructions for attaching the maker to the mixer are really easy to follow along with the recipes for making ice cream. I really like that I can set it and forget it for a few minutes. When the dasher starts to "click" the ice cream is done. After making the ice cream I thought it would have made more than what it did. I would say it make just less than a quart, I'm sure it differs per recipe you use. I have not made sorbet or gelato in my maker yet but am anxious to try them! I would definitely recommend this product to those that have a kitchenaid mixer.

• Capacity:

Amazingly delicious and SO easy!

from Lacombe, LA

Comments about KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment for Stand Mixers:

My husband bought this to use with our stand mixer. It is extremely easy to use. You just freeze the bowl and hook it on. You can find recipes all over the internet. We make gelato with ours. It's richer and creamier than regular ice cream. It only takes 30 minutes to churn up and create gelato. Once it sits in the freezer, you have to wait about an hour for it to have the correct consistency. The really nice thing is that you can always have ice cream or gelato in the refrigerator that contains no chemicals, and only the fresh ingredients that you want in it. It is much easier to use than any other ice cream machine that we have bought in the past and it requires no rock salt for usage.

You just plug it in and let it mix for 30 minutes. The hardest thing you need to do with it is wait for the bowl to freeze.

This is a SOLID and very heavy bowl--even the handle seems very sturdy. It is plastic, but it is a very heavy plastic.

The most complicated thing is to loosen the handle and attach the ice cream attachment to the top.

No soap is required, just hot water and a rag.

Capacity
        Without doubling the recipe, we have enough gelato to fill two square tupperware containers. If we double it, we have enough to fill an old ice cream container.

It's easy. It looks fine.

Great idea - some flaws

Comments about KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment for Stand Mixers:

This seemed like a great idea and we got it as a gift, so we've kept it. Most of the time we don't really get "ice cream". The mixture stays pretty runny and we have to freeze it in the freezer. In the end, most of our creations end up crystalized, but they still taste good we can't complain too much. We don't like storing it in the freezer so we have to plan ahead so it is cold enough to make ice cream when we do want it.

The final results may vary with this ice cream maker. We've never been able to get our ice cream to really set. We'll get a nice layer of solid ice cream around the edges, but it never sets all the way through no matter how long it runs. Taste yummy though :)

Takes up a lot of room in the freezer if you want to keep it ready at all times. We don't always have room to do this so we have to plan ahead of time to make ice cream. Takes away a bit of the spontaneity of "let's make ice cream!". Not the fault of the product, other than you have to put it in the freezer to get it ready to work.

Capacity
        Great for a couple of people, not big enough for dessert when serving a larger dinner party.

Only comes in white. I wish it came in other colors to match the stand mixer.

• Capacity:

Easy way to make homemade ice cream

Comments about KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment for Stand Mixers:

This incredible attachment for the KitchenAid mixer is a great item to always have around when you want to enjoy the flavors of homemade ice cream!

It works incredibly well. The only issue I have ever come across with it, is that sometimes the paddle and the piece that it sits on can come lose if the ice cream mix becomes to thick and slips off and then it's just a quick fix to put back together, but can just be annoying.

It's very durable, but I have used mine so many times that the paddle and piece it connects to, is starting to grind down a little bit and can sometimes come unattached and causes an issue, but it is easy to reattach.

It's incredibly easy to use. Just leave the bowl in your deep freezer and then when your ready to make ice cream it's always ready and is so easy to use, that anyone can quickly do it.

The left over ice cream just comes right off when you spray hot water on it for the easiest cleaning attachment ever.

Capacity
        It holds a good amount of ice cream, but I wish it was slightly bigger. With the bowl having to be so thick with the water inside to be frozen to have it cold enough to make the ice cream, you just lose some space.

It's a great design! I just wish it was slightly bigger to make more ice cream quicker.

Not a Great Ice Cream Maker

Comments about KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment for Stand Mixers:

I wanted this ice cream maker attachment rather than a full separate maker to cut down on storage space. Unfortunately, I don't think it works as well. It does make delicious ice cream, but it is not formed at all. I've tried various recipes and configurations and none seem to make a significant difference. It is sturdy, easy to use and clean. The ice cream just needs to be frozen for quite a while after making it in order to be solid enough. Otherwise it's soupy. I've seen other ice cream makers have similar issues. I had higher hopes for this brand and price. We just freeze the mixture again after making it and it forms a more solid cream after. It is a little icier rather than creamy at that point, though.

Even with a nice, solidly cold bowl this does not create formed ice cream.

We've used it about monthly over the last 4 years and no signs of wear whatsoever.

Once you've done it once you can do it every time without trouble.

Capacity
        Makes enough for about 8 people.

The only design flaw is that it does not really create cold, hard ice cream.