Other Air Conditioners:
Kenmore
Kenmore Window Air Conditioner

Kenmore Window Air Conditioner

BUYER BEWARE! UPDATE: AC great until you need service.

***JUNE 2010 UPDATE ON***

***SEARS SERVICE REPUTATION (BAD)***
Read complete review

***JUNE 2010 UPDATE ON***

***SEARS SERVICE REPUTATION (BAD)***

[*http://www.viewpoints.com/Sears-Appliance-Repair-Service--309977-review-840f1*][1]

***# # # # #***

***U P D A T E !***

**OUR POWER BILL WILL BE *GIMUNGOUS*!**

Picture us in late August and early September!  My husband and I hide inside the house with the windows closed.  Our **Kenmore 580 etc. Room Air Conditioner** does a great job of filtering air from the incredibly far-ranging smoke of Southern California's ravaging *Station Fire*.  The outdoor temps are in the 100s.  We run the **Kenmore** 24-hours a day as recommended because of the smoke.

Oh, oh!  Suddenly, our *indoor* temps are ***frigid***.  Could it be?

Yes.  Our relatively new **580, etc. **(just past its warranty) now gives us *all or everything* -- the coldest temperature it can crank out.  The *Energy Saver* has died, and the Mode is *full-freeze or nothing*.

Once in awhile, a service contract (usually just a wallet-drainer) makes me wistfully wish I *believed* in service contracts.  At least the machine gets us through the smokiest days of the fire.  Now... about repairs...

**# # # # #**

Our **Kenmore Room Air Conditioner** (we have **model 580. 75121**) works like a dream.  It replaces a durable 30-year-old conditioner that sucked money out as fast as it put cool air in.

Now, with the **Kenmore**'s *Energy Saver* button pressed, I revel in a lower power bill despite regional hikes in utilities prices.  Now, *two* medium rooms stay comfortable instead of just one.  Our long-haired dog finds especially great comfort during her days in front of the **580**!  My piano students rejoice when coming into the studio out of the blasting California heat.

**Kenmore**'s Installation procedure seems straightforward for most situations.  Our windows swing open *into* the room, however, and our **Kenmore Air Conditioner** had to be installed through a lower bookcase in the old conditioner's space!  Inevitably, since the **Kenmore** is smaller (and lighter) than its predecessor, we had a case of air gap-o-sis.  TunefulPal and I remedied this almost immediately by filling air spaces with insulation tubing.  He and a friend got the entire installation done with few complaints on a blessedly cool day.

The **Kenmore 580** comes with a remote control that replicates the panel on the machine.  From it, I can turn the machine on or off; set a timer for off and/or on; shift through the *Cool, Energy Saver and Fan* settings (mode); advance *the Fan Speed* from high-low-med and back to high; and adjust the *Temperature* in one-degree increments from 60 to 86 degrees F.

***Please note*** (as I did not) that, *if you shut the* **Air Conditioner** *down, you should wait three minutes before re-starting it.*  Ditto if you move the *Temperature Control* to a warmer then immediately back it down to a cooler temp.  Not doing these things can result in inefficient cooling if the pressure inside the compressor hasn't had time to equalize.

When on *Energy Saver*, the unit (compressor) shuts down when it reaches your desired temperature.  The *Fan* then kicks on about every three minutes to "check" the temperature.  When your rooms start to warm, the compressor kicks back on to maintain even cooling.

**Kenmore**'s *bi-lingual (English-Spanish) manual* does an excellent job of explaining filtering, machine noises, positioning of vertical and horizontal louvers, troubleshooting, and cleaning.  The filter can be removed easily.  Washing and drying it is a snap.  With a tad more effort you can also remove and wash the front grill.

Pal and I are very impressed with the entire **Kenmore Air Conditioner** package.  I've given only four stars (for now) because the end of our *Full One Year Warranty* period is near.  Superstitious or not, this is the time I cross my fingers and hope that the **Kenmore** plows on with its awesome job.

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Sears-Appliance-Repair-Service--309977-review-840f1

kenmore air conditioner

I have to first say, we got this air conditioner after my mother-in-law passed away. We needed it greatly this past summer, which was very hot in Maine.  We put it in the window early and it worked pretty good at first.  However, as the weather proceeded to get hotter and hotter, it didn't work so well. I also should say that we only used it in our bedroom and closed off the rest of the apartment. For a while we tried to circulate the air more by putting a fan in front of the air conditioner. I have to say, we eventually took that air conditioner from the window and put our old one in.  Oh yes, I almost forgot, the Kenmore air conditioner started leaking near the end of it, just water but it seeped through our carpet in the bedroom and wasn't easy to get mopped up.  Overall, I would not recommend this air conditioner. Hopefully, others will have better luck with it than us.  We will be buying a new one next year.

It gets the job done

from San Gabriel, CA

Comments about Kenmore Window Air Conditioner:

We have central air conditioning system in our house, but it just won't work well for our 2 huge living rooms and family rooms even though when we turned them on. It's mostly because of the fact the 2 rooms have too much space to cover for the air conditioning to cool off the whole place. Therefore, we ended up shopping for one of these window air conditioner and ended up choosing this Kenmore model. I was a little skeptical at first, but overall, it does a great job when we needed to cool off the living room or the family room, we just turn it on and the room is much cooler compared to using the central air conditioning system. The only downside from using this for awhile is that it becomes loud when we turn it on now from time to time. Other than that, this Kenmore window air conditioner gets the job done and it's worth buying if you can tolerate the noise. I would recommend to people who is interested in a low budge air conditioner.

• Air Flow:

My nights are now cooler and cheaper !!!!

from King Of Prussia, PA

Comments about Kenmore Window Air Conditioner:

Oh god this year's summer was horrible. I was feeling like I am living somewhere near equater. This was the worst and hottest summer I have ever felt and our utility bill was the highest.

Even after paying so much of utility bill we cannot cool ourself and could not get a nice, cool deep sleep. We finally decided to buy an  Air Conditioner. And kenmore had really good reviews. We don't want to take chances so we went for this  Air Conditioner only. But still was little confused about its performance. And I was really hoping that it works well and I could sleep good.

And awesome....!!. once we started using it. It really cools down your house and you can have a nice tight sleep. and After a month we saw our utility bill , even that was lowered down this time. We were just amazed. Now We are planning to buy one more. Who knows next summer might be more hotter than this one..!!!

• Air Flow:

wonderful

from Yonkers, NY

Comments about Kenmore Window Air Conditioner:

In my review of this product I like it a lot. It works good especially if its in 1 room thats small, like the living room in a studio. It will definetly keep that room cool for hours. My husband uses one and he likes it. I like it. When we leave to go out for the day we put it on low. Then when we come back the room feels extremely comfortable and nice and cool. You do pay for it's quality. It has marvelous potential. Although the price is a little pricey, it is worth every penny. I like how it fits inside my window. Also its not that heavy. To me I like when you first turn it on and you can smell the brand new clean air. To me when I turned on the air conditioner I can just smell the brand new clean air filter, It smelled like a brand new cleam humidifier. Another thing when the air blows out its clean, you can smell the clean. Other air conditioners are just not the same. Granted there may be other good brands out there, I like this one.

Very nice

from Miami, FL

Comments about Kenmore Window Air Conditioner:

Its summer time again and its time to find a good air conditioner to keep the room cool. I ended up getting the Kenmore Window air conditioner because it is one of the best air conditioners available today. It is super easy to use and it is prices aggressively so it is very affordable. But even though its not pricey you are not compromising on quality. Kenmore has a good rep for their service and quality so that should not be a concern. It is thermostat control and the remote is more than capable. I really like this air conditioner. It is so good that it keeps the entire room cool and doesn't take too long to do that as well. It is a little noisy though but not so much to bother you. All in all I would give it a thumps up.

Excellent Usage and easy

from San Francisco, CA

Comments about Kenmore Window Air Conditioner:

We got this air conditioner after my mother-in-law passed away. We needed it greatly this past summer, which was very hot in Maine. We put it in the window early and it worked pretty good at first. However, as the weather proceeded to get hotter and hotter, it didn't work so well. I also should say that we only used it in our bedroom and closed off the rest of the apartment. For a while we tried to circulate the air more by putting a fan in front of the air conditioner. I have to say, we eventually took that air conditioner from the window and put our old one in. Oh yes, I almost forgot, the Kenmore air conditioner started leaking near the end of it, just water but it seeped through our carpet in the bedroom and wasn't easy to get mopped up. Overall, I would not recommend this air conditioner. Hopefully, others will have better luck with it than us. We will be buying a new one next year.

Kenmore Window Air Conditioner works quite well!

from Livingston, TX

Comments about Kenmore Window Air Conditioner:

We use the Kenmore Window Air Conditioner is out livingroom for the main cooling source. We do not have central air, therefore we depend heavily on window air units. Our house is small and our living room is quite small therefore this air conditioner is ideal and works well. Our livingroom is connected to our kitchen, therefore this same unit provides air for the kitchen too. This unit has been used for years and we have gotten much use out of it. If you keep the filter washed and cleaned out regularly, you will receive top performance. This unit cools quite well and quickly. I like that it came with a remote too. We live in Texas, therefore our Summers can become nearly unbearable at times. This is the unit we use and it works pretty good even on hottest of days but doesn't cool quite as well as would be really comfortable, it does work though. I would say that this unit is definitely worth the money, long lasting, ideal for smaller rooms or areas and doesn't need a ton of maintenance. Definitely worth the money we paid for it.

Very good air conditioner

from Ronkonkoma, NY

Comments about Kenmore Window Air Conditioner:

This is a very good air conditioner. My old ac wasn't getting the job done and was extremely noisy. I was in the market for a new one and a friend of mine recommended this item to me. It was a great recommendation. It was installed within minutes after getting it out of the box. Very easy to get in the window. It is extremely easy to use and was much quieter than my last unit. Within minutes of having it on, you could feel the room getting considerably cooler.

I loved that this came with a remote and made changing the settings very easy and worked from a considerable distance away from the unit. Some have found this unit to be a bit noisy, but I did not feel that way. Especially considering how loudly my last unit was. But that is really the only con of this item. Overall, it works very well and for the price you are getting a great product. Works best cooling small rooms but does a good job of cooling down a large area.

Kenmore Window Air Conditioner is Great

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about Kenmore Window Air Conditioner:

It came with expandable panels that made it very easy to fill in the space around it in the window after installing it. The panels were attractive and gave it a professional installation appearance. The unit puts out quite a bit of refreshing cool air, and is energy star rated so the electricity used is minimal. It has a remote control (batteries for it were included). My husband and I hide inside the house with the windows closed. Our Kenmore 580 etc. Room Air Conditioner does a great job of filtering air from the incredibly far-ranging smoke of Southern California's ravaging Station Fire. The outdoor temps are in the 100s. We run the Kenmore 24-hours a day as recommended because of the smoke. For a small house I would recommend this unit. Its kinda big and has to fit alongside the window, therefore it can look kinda awkward in your house if you have lots of guests over. Otherwise, its an efficient machine that is easy to install, reduces the high energy bills of large systems. In the winter, depending on where you live, it must be covered up and the windows must be sealed for any air leaks.

kenmore window air conditioner is a great energy saver!

from Winston Salem, NC

Comments about Kenmore Window Air Conditioner:

I must say I actually did my homework on this product because I wanted to make sure i got quality product and kenmore has a great brand already being that it is the brainchild of sears and was introduced back in the 1900's but, these are some of the features i liked about the kenmore window air conditioner. I liked the stylish design, the energy efficiency, the cutting edge technology and lastly the convience as a result kenmore has designed a wide range of air conditioners that multi room units that offer the convience to kenmore's window air conditioners growing base. I just need this kenmore window air conditioner for my bed room but, it offered some awesome perks such as wireless remote, electronic touch pads, auto restart, and of course the ez energy saver. I was able to window mount this product with some additional brackets i had to purchase but, it was well worth it. I think with my paticular single room unit it was designed to just cool my bedroom with 5000 btu's.

Freezing!

from San Diego, CA

Comments about Kenmore Window Air Conditioner:

Don't you hate those hot summer days where all you do is lay around fanning yourself, with the inability to move due to the heat? Or even degrading yourself to the point where you go to the mall just to feel the nice breeze? Enough was enough. I wasn't sure which aircon I was going to buy, but after a recommendation from my friend, i was quite satisfied with what i received. Now, if you're money conscious you should absolutely purchase this! For the quality you receive, it is definitely value for your money. It may be small, but as they say, good things come in small packages. It's quite simple to use and extremely energy efficient. Even though it is small, it cools down large areas within an hour, and will leave you nice and chilled! Too lazy to get up? It has a remote! Just sit and change the settings as you please. One issue though, if you're a light sleeper, maybe you should invest in something else, despite its great qualities, it can be quite loud at night.