Other Vacuums:
Kenmore
31912
Kenmore Progressive with Direct Drive Vacuum

Kenmore Progressive with Direct Drive Vacuum

It tells me when my floors are clean...you can't ask for more!

I spent years getting hand me down vacuums or buying cheap ones.  This past spring I splurged when i puchased  a Kenmore Progressive.  The biggest selling point was the dirt indicator lights.  It has 5 easily visible lights that tell you when the area you are vacuuming is clean.  I was amazed at how many times I had to go over each area until I got a green light.  The first room, I spent 45 minutes vacuuming.  Don't worry...I don't have to go over each area that many times now.  Since I am using a good vacuum, my carpets stay cleaner.  No more embedded dirt for us!

Some additional pros:

It has a bag.  I have had bag-less vacuums in the past. They make such a mess when you empty them, especially for those of us with pets.

It has wonderful attachments.  They all fit on board and it includes a Handi-mate Jr. with it's own rotating brush.  I can leave the vacuum at the bottom of the steps and use the attachments all the way to the top.

It has an extra long cord.  I can vacuum almost my whole house without unplugging my vacuum.

Like everything, there are some cons.  It is a bit heavy weighing in around 25lbs.  It also comes with the Inteliclean System where the speed of motor changes with the amount of dirt being picked up.  I always turn it off...doesn't really make sense to use.

I love my vacuum and I know you will too!

What good is the suction if you can't push it?

I purchased this vacuum based on the Consumer Reports Best Value rating. It has a great feature that it senses when the floor is clean. Only problem it that it is so heavy I can't push it. I thought it was just me until my friend came over to help me clean and after 20 minutes in the living room had to go rest on the sofa because the vacuum had worn her out. Today I see how much I can get for it in trade for a vacuum that I might actually be able to use.

The Kenmore Progressive with Direct Drive is Almost Perfect

from Renton, WA

Comments about Kenmore Progressive with Direct Drive Vacuum:

I love my Kenmore Progressive vacuum with Direct Drive. My husband and I got it at a clearance price because it had been previously purchased and then returned to the store. The super low price we paid made it such an awesome deal. It does an excellent job of cleaning, and I absolutely love the dirt indicator lights that let you know if you have gotten all the dirt out of the carpet yet. The long hose with the attachments are great as well. We have mostly hardwood floors in our home, so we use the vacuum with the attachments a lot. I would have given the vacuum five stars except for two things. Number one is that it is pretty heavy for me. I'm only 5 foot 2 inches, so it's kind of big for me to lug around. Number two is that the little notch for connecting the hose to the attachments was just a little piece of plastic. It snapped off after a couple of years of use, so now we have to use both hands to hold together the two pieces. It would have been nice if there was a metal connecting pin or something a bit more sturdy. Other than that, great vacuum!

• Maneuverability:
  • Ease of Maintenance:
  • Suction Performance:
  • Versatility:

Intelligence meet vacuum - Great combination and a great product

from Hoffman Estates, IL

Comments about Kenmore Progressive with Direct Drive Vacuum:

This is a great combination of technology and product quality.  The dirt sensor actually tells you when you're done cleaning a section of floor which is great b/c there is no other way to tell if a floor is actually clean.  I always assumed lines in the carpet were a good indicator.

we heart this vacuum

from Crown Point, IN

Comments about Kenmore Progressive with Direct Drive Vacuum:

We read EVERY review of every upright vacuum on the market.  We test drove the Dyson - which we were positive we would purchase.  To our surprise, the Dyson we tried *pushed*cheerios around on the floor (we have a one year old, so cheerio removal is high on our list).  The front of the Dyson was simply too low -- I'm sure its a fine machine -- but its not the Kenmore.  This thing tells you when the carpet is clean, works harder when the floor is dirtier, and even though its heavy to lift, its easy and light to use!  It cost less than the Dyson and for us, works a TON better.  We heart it.  You should too.

Best vaccum I ever had

from Hinckley, OH

Comments about Kenmore Progressive with Direct Drive Vacuum:

I love my Kenmore Progressive. I have had one for ten years and just got another one last year so that I could have one upstairs and one down. Aside from the amazing cleaning it does (and I have two Siberian huskies who shed ALOT) I love that it is beltless and so you never have to change a belt. I will never buy anything else.

Kenmore is the only Vacuum we buy!

from Powder Springs, GA

Comments about Kenmore Progressive with Direct Drive Vacuum:

We purchased this vaccum because we had an older model and it was destroyed when our house flooded, but we loved it so much we didn't even bother to look around at other brands or models! It comes with a Hepa filter bag, which catches everything! We have 2 kids under 3, a Siberian Husky, a cat & 28 chickens (outside, but we still get their dirt, dander & feathers transferred inside on our clothes/shoes) so we have a lot of dust, and random food morsels laying around. This vacuum never disappoints. We have mostly hardwoods, but carpets, rugs and vinyl as well and it works fantastic on all of them with just a flip of a lever it goes between them. All the attachements fit securely right on the body of the vacuum so they are easily reached and put away. While it is a bit on the heavy side, the wheels work smoothly and it is very easy to navigate around furniture, toys, animals and stubborn toddlers!

My Kenmore vacuum works great!

from Las Vegas, NV

Comments about Kenmore Progressive with Direct Drive Vacuum:

I have had this vacuum for a few years now and I still love it. We had a bagless vacuum and hated the mess of cleaning the canister, so when it was time to replace it, I was glad to find this bagged model on the Consumers Reports list for best vaccum at the time I was looking. It is so easy to use. The buttons are all on the handle- I can easily switch from full-powered brush to gentle brush for rugs to no brush for hard floors and then pull the hose right out to do edges. It has something called intelli-clean that conserves energy by reducing suction when the sensor senses a clean area. I don't use that option because I like full-power, but I can tell by the sensor lights that the sensor does work well. Once I've gone over an area the sensor lights do go from red to orange down to green when the area is clean. It's easy to push, the suction is still perfect after over 4 years and it's easy to empty and take care of. I don't think I've even had to replace a belt.

Kenmore Progressive Upright Vacuum Cleaner with Inteli-Clean

from Radnor, PA

Comments about Kenmore Progressive with Direct Drive Vacuum:

I purchased this vacuum because of teh reviews in Consumer reports and the good reputation of Sears. The Kenmore Progressive upright vacuum cleaner features the Inteli-Clean system that detects cleaning needs and adjusts cleaning power for more efficient vacuuming. It also comes with variable power control, located on a convenient touch control pad right on the handle, for gentler cleaning on delicate carpets and rugs. It's HEPA filtration system gives you cleaner exhaust air and reduces irritating airborne allergens.

Features:

- HEPA cloth bag for true HEPA filtration (works really well)

- Infrared dirt sensor indicates where to focus cleaning effort to remove embedded dirt. I'm not sure that I entirely trust this indicator - but it does make me feel like I've really cleaned an area ehen the light goes off!

- Direct drive beltless agitator for constant cleaning power and no belts to replace (this is such a big plus as I hated replacing belts!)

- HandiMate Jr. attachment cleans stairs, upholstery and hard-to-reach areas (I love having the tools "on-board" so that I don't have to attach and unattach them)

- 4-position manual height adjustment (easy to move from bare floors to carpet)

The dirt indicator is my favorite feature!

from Buchanan, VA

Comments about Kenmore Progressive with Direct Drive Vacuum:

First let me start off by saying that I never owned a Dyson vacuum cleaner and most likely I never will.  My family has been using Kenmore vacuums for many years.  I have found that they are some of the best performing vacuums on the market.  I was very fortunate in that I married into my current vacuum.  It was my husband's first.  The best feature of the Kenmore is the dirt indicator lights along the front.  If you vacuum over a heavily soiled area (i.e. high traffic areas), the light bar goes all the way to red.  As you continue to vacuum the same spot it slowly drops to orange and finally to green.  I know that I am getting my floors much cleaner than if I just passed over each area once or twice.  The best part is that when I vacuum on a regular basis, I notice that even the high traffic areas aren't as dirty!  It gives me motivation to vacuum more often because I can see the improvement in my floors.  Wonderful vacuum.  I couldn't be more pleased with it.  As other reviewers have said, this is a slightly heavy vacuum.  We live in a one-level house so it isn't an issue for me.  I can see that this would be a con if you have a two-level or more house.

Kenmore Progressive is a Good Vacuum.

from Anderson, IN

Comments about Kenmore Progressive with Direct Drive Vacuum:

We researched very thoroughly before replacing our old vacuum, and settled on the Kenmore Progressive with Direct Drive.  We have a long-haired cat and were especially excited about the Handi-Mate Jr, which has its own small beater bar for use on upholstery.

We love the vacuum overall.  It does a fine job of cleaning floors, grabbing cat hair with ease.  I like the fact that the IntelliClean feature tells you when the vacuum senses that you've picked up most of the dirt.  On the down-side, though, as the vacuum senses that the floor is more clean, the light on the front of the vacuum dims.  This can be a little frustrating... even if my floor is clean, I still need to know where I'm going!

We have been severely disappointed, though, with the Handi-Mate Jr.  Any amount of force against upholstery or carpeted stairs keeps the small beater-bar from turning, rending the Handi-Mate Jr essentially useless.  I use the regular brush-attachment instead.

Best Vaccuum I have owned!

from Largo, FL

Comments about Kenmore Progressive with Direct Drive Vacuum:

This was given to me as a gift about 3 years ago. I absolutley love it! It was amazing to see what it picked up after my other vaccuum was used. With a family of 6, and a dog, cat and bunny I use it very often. I really have not had any issues. A couple of times the kids have got it clogged with big piece of mulch or something big they didn't pick off the floor. Other then that I have not had any issues. I really like how it tells you how much dirt there is and will change the suction power accordingly. It is easy to manuver, the handheld attachments are perfect for the car, couch etc.

I have to admit the only feature I do not like is having to change bags. I do have to say I have had bagless vaccuums that I did have to dump moire frequently then I have to dump these bags. For anyone looking for a lightweight vaccuum I would not recommend this one, I would recommend it to anyone else, pet owners, large or small families.