2.6
Kenmore
Kenmore 500 Series Top Load Washer

Kenmore 500 Series Top Load Washer

2.6

Pros

• Large capacity (7)
  • Energy efficient (6)
  • Adjustable settings (5)
  • Spins clothes dry (4)
  • Clean clothes well (3)

Cons

• Long cycle (13)
  • Doesn't clean effectively (8)
  • Noisy (7)
  • Breaks down (3)
  • Shakes/moves (3)

• Everyday clothes (5)
  • Towels (5)
  • Delicate (4)
  • Bedding (3)
  • Heavy/bulky items (3)
    • Energy Efficiency:
    • Cleaning Time:
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Frequent user (10), Heavy duty user (3)

Large capacity and good cleaning for a decent price.

This is the last Kenmore product I purchased as I am pretty much done with this brand in general. None of my Kenmore appliances has lasted more than 7 years and I was told by a repair man that this is pretty standard now for all brands.  The only reason I bought this Kenmore was on his recommendation. He said the Kenmore 500 had the least number of service calls.

The Kenmore 500 has a very large capacity that I really find useful. Now I do 2 laundry loads where I used to do 4.  That alone is worth 5 stars for me. You can choose from 4 size loads, extra small to extra large. The cycles are Heavy duty for towels,  jeans and sweat clothes, Normal for work wear and similar items, and Delicate for your sweaters and fine washables.  I never use the delicate cycle so I can not say how well it works. But the heavy duty and normal cycle clean great. This machine cleans much better than my previous Kenmore. It actually was able to get some washclothes that were nearly gray from household cleaning jobs to nearly white again. Impressive.

There is a feature for a second rinse. This would be great for those with allergies or skin conditions that are bothered by detergents. The water temperatures range from tap cold to hot. I rarely use cold water, even though I understand it saves money I just don't feel that for most loads it cleans as well as warm and hot. The spin cycle works very well at getting the laundry damp and ready to be hung or put in the dryer. My previous Kenmore, I actually had to run the spin cycle twice most of the time, before I could hang it.

I really like this Kenmore 500 washer. It is very straight forward to use, not fancy, but with just enough features I find useful and helpful. Time will tell if this machine holds up to use of a sport playing family! Here's hoing this Kenmore lasts more than 7 years.

Never Kenmore

My Kenmore 500 washer is <6 months old. It is already shot!! I bought a brand new house in August, and furnished it with all Kenmore appliances. My mistake. The dishwasher doesn't clean dishes, my refrigerator has been repaired twice, and I finally replaced it with an Amana. I know Amana is the same thing, but at least this one works. Now my Washer is crapping out. We are a family of 3, so it's not like we wash every other day. It's been used maybe 50-75 times. Ridiculous.

NEVER BUY FROM SEARS!!! I can't stress enough.

HORRIBLE washer, total rip off

from Riverside, CA

Pros

Cons

• clothes dry when washing
    • Doesn't Clean Effectively
    • Horrible detergent on clothes
    • lint on clothes
    • Long Cycle
    • twists clothes into almost knots

Comments about Kenmore 500 Series Top Load Washer:

this product of energy efficient is a JOKE, clothes are so twisted and partially dry, detergent film on the clothes. the Company should be ashamed of themselves and give EVERYONE a refund, spent hundreds of dollars for a Very Poor Product , the old agitator washers are the BEST. Stuck with a useless machine, unless I want to pay hundreds more on top of what I already paid. DISGUSTED IN THE PRODUCT AND QUALITY

Regret my decision

from Pittsburgh, PA

About Me Frequent User

Pros

• Large Capacity

Cons

• Doesn't Clean Effectively
      • Have to use TWO rinse cycles to remove detergent
      • Long Cycle
      • Soak 'cycle' has no options for water level
      • Water levels don't coincide with illustration

Comments about Kenmore 500 Series Top Load Washer:

Having this machine is like having the government do your laundry. And we all know how effective government interference is in our lives. You may THINK you have choices, but even the 'bulky bedding' cycle uses too little water to be really effective. The thing takes SO LONG to do one load, it's impossible to believe that it's "energy efficient". I use recommended amount of liquid HE detergent, but need two rinse cycles, thereby negating the water-saving feature. I wish I had my old center agitator washing machine back. At least I had real choices with that one.
        To top everything else off, the clothes are horribly wrinkled from the spin cycle, which is ultra efficient to remove water resulting in less dryer time. I don't believe the benefit outweighs the damage to clothing. I've had to iron things I never ironed before (there goes MORE electricity!). I have pant legs so twisted, it took a long time to get them apart before even putting them into the dryer. You may save money on less dryer time, but that electricity is not even close to being balanced because of the ultra-long running time of the washing machine and the need for TWO rinse cycles. Overall, I would not recommend this machine to my worst enemy. I will never buy one of these again and wish I knew how to 'break' it so hubby would have to buy a new one.

I HATE this washer

from Wisconsin

Pros

Cons

• Doesn't Clean Effectively
          • Long Cycle
          • Noisy
          • Shakes/Moves

Comments about Kenmore 500 Series Top Load Washer:

I am 58 years old and I have never HATED a washing machine. I truly HATE this machine. It takes forever to cycle; leaves clothes dirty/dry; leaves major white spots on dark clothes and is very noisy. Makes me feel somewhat relieved just to write how much I hate it.

Good machine

from Joplin, Missouri

About Me Frequent User

Pros

• Adjustable Settings
            • Clean Clothes Well
            • Energy Efficient
            • Large Capacity
            • Spins Clothes Dry

Cons

• Noisy

• Heavy/Bulky Items

Comments about Kenmore 500 Series Top Load Washer:

I have one of these and it is great. It adjusts the amount of water based on what type of clothing is being washed. For me that is a plus. For some people, like my grandmother, it is a problem. I think if it can get the clothes clean with less water, that's great! (And it does get them clean with less water on several of the cycles, the exception being bulky/bedding cycle, which fills with water. My grandmother thinks if the machine isn't filling with water then there is no way the clothes will get cleaned properly. Even without completely soaking everything, it gets stuff clean if you follow their recommendations for what to put in each type of cycle. If you have a mixed load, set your machine to the heaviest cycle applicable to your load. If you try to wash bedding and jeans in the cycle designed for tshirts, you might have to rewash. As long as you follow their recommendations, your clothes will be cleaned well and efficiently.

TAKES AN **HOUR AND A HALF** TO WASH A LOAD -no matter

from Fredericksburg, VA

About Me Heavy Duty User

Pros

• Adjustable Settings
            • Clean Clothes Well
            • Energy Efficient
            • Large Capacity
            • Spins Clothes Dry

Cons

• 1 1/2 hour cycle to wash a load
            • Long Cycle

Comments about Kenmore 500 Series Top Load Washer:

It does not matter how big or small your load is, this washer takes OVER an hour to wash ONE LOAD OF LAUNDRY!!! Our 10 year old dryer is faster than this washing machine!! We failed to look up comments and reviews about this product before buying it. We were in a hurry (thought we were, because the old washer broke) & didn't take the time to look around.
              It does get clothes clean and I have washed a 'thin' king sized comforter with no problem -so it can take quite a load (I would not try that every day, however).
              This is our first HE washer. Crazy the minimal amount of water used per load -definitely saves water. So, if you pay for water you would save on your water bill, but you'd end up spending the difference in electricity -no doubt.
              If there is a way to shorten the cycle, I'd be happy to update my review. Thank you.

500 Auto seris - but dont expect to run spin cycle by itself

from Indiana

Pros

Cons

• poorly designed

• 2nd hand shop

Comments about Kenmore 500 Series Top Load Washer:

The fundamental problem with these auto-sense machines is the "autosense"! its just not up to the task. Its so smart, it cannot be over-ruled. For example, the machine weighs the load and then decides how much water to add. Great- so it takes a large load (use lard load cycle) BUT it often gets half way thru the load and then the amount of water in the washing is so much it stops! wont spin....no problme, just open the lid,close it and press run spin...OOPS!!! no can do - you cannot run a spin cycle on its own....so you now have a large load of very wet washing. Good luck - there is nothing you can do but hand wring it - and hang it to dry - or ruin your dryer by adding so much wet washing...

Great job Kenmore - whirlpool etc - these auto sense machines are poorly designed and frankly there are really no positive features. Don't buy one. We will never get another - we plan to purchase a new machine - even tho this one is about 1 year old - we are sick of its antics...and I believe it is not broken - its just badly designed.

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT

from Florida

About Me Heavy Duty User

Pros

• Adjustable Settings
                • Energy Efficient
                • Large Capacity

Cons

• Breaks Down
                • Long Cycle
                • Noisy

Comments about Kenmore 500 Series Top Load Washer:

Bad, bad, bad washer! Will not turn off after the cycle is done. If I'm not there to catch it when it finishes the cycle, it runs another complete cycle and would continue to do so for the entire day. Runs a wash cycle on the drain and spin cycle. This machine is about 16 months old. Purchased brand new! All the water and electricity that has been consumed because it doesn't work properly after LESS THAT TWO YEARS really pisses me off! IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING THIS PRODUCT, RUN AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE AS FAST AS YOU CAN!

Kenmore HP 500. No Soak Option

from Atlantic City NJ

About Me Frequent User

Pros

• Large Capacity

Cons

• Doesn't Clean Effectively
                • Long Cycle
                • Noisy
                • No Soak Option
                • Shakes/Moves

Normal Wash cycle 45 mins
                  Express Wash cycle 38 mins
                  Theres nothing express about that!
                  And no soak option. Also very noisy.
                  Only thing going for it is its large capacity. Good thing I'm only renting this house , I would not by this machine.

Thank goodness this washer has been discontinued!

from Edenton, NC

Pros

Cons

• Doesn't Clean Effectively
                    • Long Cycle
                    • Noisy
                    • Shakes/Moves

• Bedding
                    • Heavy/Bulky Items

Comments about Kenmore 500 Series Top Load Washer:

It's got to be the only washer that takes ALL DAY to wash ONE LOAD! I HATE this thing!!! I literally have to turn it from cycle to cycle to get a load of 6 towels done!

Auto Water Sensing What a pile of Horse droppings

from Harlingen, TX

About Me Frequent User

Pros

• No fabic softner cup, No soap cup, but pretty

Cons

• Breaks Down
                    • call again today for removal
                    • defective product
                    • deliever but not check for proper operation.
                    • Doesn't Clean Effectively
                    • I called for it to be pickup an hour after insta
                    • Noisy
                    • unplugged for reset but still bad
                    • Will not fill with enough water to wash anything

Comments about Kenmore 500 Series Top Load Washer:

This is the most worthless Kenmore I have ever had.