2.8
Kenmore
Kenmore 500 Series Top Load Washer

Kenmore 500 Series Top Load Washer

2.8

Pros

• Energy efficient (4)
  • Large capacity (4)
  • Adjustable settings (3)

Cons

• Long cycle (9)
  • Doesn't clean effectively (5)
  • Noisy (5)
  • Breaks down (3)

• Everyday clothes (4)
  • Towels (4)
  • Bedding (3)
  • Delicate (3)
    • Energy Efficiency:
    • Cleaning Time:
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Frequent user (5)

Large capacity and good cleaning for a decent price.

This is the last Kenmore product I purchased as I am pretty much done with this brand in general. None of my Kenmore appliances has lasted more than 7 years and I was told by a repair man that this is pretty standard now for all brands.  The only reason I bought this Kenmore was on his recommendation. He said the Kenmore 500 had the least number of service calls.

The Kenmore 500 has a very large capacity that I really find useful. Now I do 2 laundry loads where I used to do 4.  That alone is worth 5 stars for me. You can choose from 4 size loads, extra small to extra large. The cycles are Heavy duty for towels,  jeans and sweat clothes, Normal for work wear and similar items, and Delicate for your sweaters and fine washables.  I never use the delicate cycle so I can not say how well it works. But the heavy duty and normal cycle clean great. This machine cleans much better than my previous Kenmore. It actually was able to get some washclothes that were nearly gray from household cleaning jobs to nearly white again. Impressive.

There is a feature for a second rinse. This would be great for those with allergies or skin conditions that are bothered by detergents. The water temperatures range from tap cold to hot. I rarely use cold water, even though I understand it saves money I just don't feel that for most loads it cleans as well as warm and hot. The spin cycle works very well at getting the laundry damp and ready to be hung or put in the dryer. My previous Kenmore, I actually had to run the spin cycle twice most of the time, before I could hang it.

I really like this Kenmore 500 washer. It is very straight forward to use, not fancy, but with just enough features I find useful and helpful. Time will tell if this machine holds up to use of a sport playing family! Here's hoing this Kenmore lasts more than 7 years.

Never Kenmore

My Kenmore 500 washer is <6 months old. It is already shot!! I bought a brand new house in August, and furnished it with all Kenmore appliances. My mistake. The dishwasher doesn't clean dishes, my refrigerator has been repaired twice, and I finally replaced it with an Amana. I know Amana is the same thing, but at least this one works. Now my Washer is crapping out. We are a family of 3, so it's not like we wash every other day. It's been used maybe 50-75 times. Ridiculous.

NEVER BUY FROM SEARS!!! I can't stress enough.

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT

from Florida

About Me Heavy Duty User

Pros

• Adjustable Settings
  • Energy Efficient
  • Large Capacity

Cons

• Breaks Down
  • Long Cycle
  • Noisy

Comments about Kenmore 500 Series Top Load Washer:

Bad, bad, bad washer! Will not turn off after the cycle is done. If I'm not there to catch it when it finishes the cycle, it runs another complete cycle and would continue to do so for the entire day. Runs a wash cycle on the drain and spin cycle. This machine is about 16 months old. Purchased brand new! All the water and electricity that has been consumed because it doesn't work properly after LESS THAT TWO YEARS really pisses me off! IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING THIS PRODUCT, RUN AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE AS FAST AS YOU CAN!

Kenmore HP 500. No Soak Option

from Atlantic City NJ

About Me Frequent User

Pros

• Large Capacity

Cons

• Doesn't Clean Effectively
  • Long Cycle
  • Noisy
  • No Soak Option
  • Shakes/Moves

Normal Wash cycle 45 mins
    Express Wash cycle 38 mins
    Theres nothing express about that!
    And no soak option. Also very noisy.
    Only thing going for it is its large capacity. Good thing I'm only renting this house , I would not by this machine.

Thank goodness this washer has been discontinued!

from Edenton, NC

Pros

Cons

• Doesn't Clean Effectively
      • Long Cycle
      • Noisy
      • Shakes/Moves

• Heavy/Bulky Items

Comments about Kenmore 500 Series Top Load Washer:

It's got to be the only washer that takes ALL DAY to wash ONE LOAD! I HATE this thing!!! I literally have to turn it from cycle to cycle to get a load of 6 towels done!

Auto Water Sensing What a pile of Horse droppings

from Harlingen, TX

About Me Frequent User

Pros

• No fabic softner cup, No soap cup, but pretty

Cons

• Breaks Down
      • call again today for removal
      • defective product
      • deliever but not check for proper operation.
      • Doesn't Clean Effectively
      • I called for it to be pickup an hour after insta
      • Noisy
      • unplugged for reset but still bad
      • Will not fill with enough water to wash anything

Comments about Kenmore 500 Series Top Load Washer:

This is the most worthless Kenmore I have ever had.

It's very noisy compared to a regular washer.

from Santa Monica, CA

About Me Occasional User

Pros

• Adjustable Settings
        • Energy Efficient
        • Large Capacity
        • Spins Clothes Dry

Cons

• Doesn't Clean Effectively
        • Long Cycle
        • Noisy

Comments about Kenmore 500 Series Top Load Washer:

I bought the Kenmore 500 HP washer & companion dryer over 1 year ago.
        I've never been thrilled with it.
        The wash-agitation is very noisy and the bilge-pump is beyond horrifically noisy!
        Because it was so noisy, I was going to return it, thinking something was wrong with it. I simply got used to it.
        It's high-capacity is a good thing. It does a ton of bedding and towels in 1 load.
        One draw-back is that it lets in so little water for the wash-cycle, the hot water is barely luke-warm. This prevents whites from getting really clean and white.

worst choice ever

from Danville ,PA

About Me Heavy Duty User

Pros

• Energy Efficient

Cons

• Long Cycle

Comments about Kenmore 500 Series Top Load Washer:

this machine worked for about a week before weird stuff started happening. After waiting for the exceptionally long cycle was presumably over, I would open the washer to find the clothing had not spun or spun enough- soaking wet towels and jeans. Sometimes another spin would work, sometimes it was as if I didn't even do it again and it was still wet. Sometimes I'll start it and come back later to find it hasn't washed at all. It's next to unusable now with this happening almost every time unless it's a smaller load on normal cycle. Not even done paying it off yet. Disgusted.

Walk away

from Tigard, OR

Pros

Cons

• Breaks Down
            • Doesn't Clean Effectively
            • Long Cycle

Comments about Kenmore 500 Series Top Load Washer:

I should have read the reviews first. This washer was stuck on the wash cycle within the 1st week. I had it repaired and it has the same issue. Also, it takes FOREVER to wash a load of clothes, even on express. If you have time to spend waiting for the repairman and your clothes to wash, then this is for you. Unfortunately, this has been a bad experience for us.

Laundromats Near Me

from new jersey

Pros

Cons

• Long Cycle
                • Wet Clothing

Comments about Kenmore 500 Series Top Load Washer:

We purchased the Kenmore series 500 washer along with the Kenmore series 500 dryer for the New Year.
                  Since then, I am a frequent customer at the laundromat near me, unless I want this monstrosity to cycle for 3-4 hours and still have to split loads or wring out the clothing prior to putting them in the dryer. Energy efficient my eye!

So far, so good!

from Las Cruces, NM

About Me Frequent User

Pros

• Adjustable Settings
                  • Clean Clothes Well
                  • Energy Efficient
                  • Large Capacity
                  • Spins Clothes Dry

Cons

• Long Cycle

• Heavy/Bulky Items

Comments about Kenmore 500 Series Top Load Washer:

Since it's discontinued, we got it on sale. Once I got used to the senor and putting laundry in the machine, I've had no problems. The only thing I really miss is "soak". I like to soak whites (socks, kitchen towels) overnight, and now I can't. I've bought Kenmore since I left home, and have had 2 washers, including this one, in over 25 years. So I think I'm stuck with Kenmore!

Still going strong 11 year later

Comments about Kenmore 500 Series Top Load Washer:

I received this washer as a wedding gift 11 years ago and it is still going strong.

Energy Efficiency
                  Compared to the new front loader washing machines that are highly efficienty, I think that this washing machine would rate poorly.

Cleaning Time
                  I am very happy with the amount of time this washing machine takes to run a full cycle. There are many cycle options depending on just how dirty the load is. There is a heavy duty cycle, a normal cycle and a short cycle. I typically use the short cycle for items like sheets that are not stinky or soiled. I typically use the heavy duty cycle for towels and exercise clothing, items that need to extra attention. Obviously the heavy duty cycle will take longer to run than the short cycle, but I am very happy with the cleaning times.

The real test of the washing machine has always been my the washing machines ability to get my exercise clothing clean. My exercise clothing can have quite a funky smell. I can honestly say that between my washing machine and the help of Tide, my exercise clothing is officially clean and does not smell funky.

This washing machine is extrememly easy to use. The washing machine has a cheaters guide on the inside of the lid which is helpful in answering basic questions.

This washing machine is obviously not exciting to look at compared to the lastest, greatest front loader machines BUT I have not experienced and issues with this washing machine over the past 11 year and reliability in my book is more important than appearances.

Eleven years later and my washing machine is still going strong.

• Energy Efficiency: