2.3

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Available Plans:
    • I received a sample (10), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (7)

The gold standard of California HMOs

I hate the idea of HMOs...they totally take choices away from the consumer. That said, there are few of us who can afford ot get our primary ehalthcare in any other way these days. My workplace offers a few different plans. After extensive research, I went with Kaiser Permanente. After recently having suffered a very painful condition that lasted several weeks, I'm really glad I had Kaiser doctors on my side. Not only was my primary care physician really great - he's a good listener, really cares about his patients, and does all he can to keep people pain-free and comfortable, but he's the type of person who knows when somethig is beyond his scope. My problem had to do with my ears and, after several failed treatments, my doc frankly told me that he'd feel alot better about consulting with an ENT. I was afraid that would mean weeks of waiting, but no. He immediately called an ENT and had a phone conference about my condition. He then set up an ENT appointment for me on the very next.

Another great thing about Kaiser is the on-site pharmacy. Your doctor electronically sends out an order for your prescription. When your doctor's visit is over, you go straight to the pharmacy (which is on the main floor), and your prescription is ready and waiting. not only that, but it's signififcantly cheaper to use the Kaiser pharmacy, than to go to an independent drug store...where you'd probably have to wait.

During this entire ordeal (I had a rare and very stubborn ear infection that didn't respond to antibiotics) I found myself at the Kaiser Permanente E.R. in the middle of the night, just about out of my mind with pain. Anyone who has been to a big city E.R. with a non-life-threatening condition can tell you that it's not unusualto wiat four, five or even six hours to get medical attention, while people with respiratory and coronary issues are given priority (and rightly so.) Not only did I receive excellent care at the Kaiser E.R., but I was in and out in under two hours.

I'm fine, now, and I'll be only too happy to never see any doctor's office or hospital again but, if the need does arrive, I'm really glad I'm a Kaiser member.

HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT!!!

After having my company downsized our healthcare choices, I decided on Aetna after having Optimum Choice for years.    I didn't need a PCP but the co pay was a little higher than what I was use to.    I was able to keep all of my DRs, including my son's allergy dr.   After a year I decided to change to Kaiser to see if it would save us some money.   HUGE mistake!!!

I called KP before changing and was told they had allergists in Towson location for my son.   I live in Lutherville, so I thought this was a good thing.  Turns out they do not provide allergy shots for children.   None of the centers do.   After changing, I had to take my son to White Marsh for the allergist and was told he could get his shots in Towson, but the nurses there were not use to working with children.   My son is in his 4th year of shots and I didn't want to stop now, so I have to take him to White Marsh once a week.   Hours are 4-8,  rush hour traffic from Towson to White Marsh and then we have to sit there for 1/2 hour after each shot to make sure he doesn't have a reaction.   With Aetna shots were free and I only had to pay for the specialist visit, (25 dollar) copay when my son had to see the DR. bt not on a weekly basis. KP I have to pay a 15.00 copay for each shot.

The KP office in Towson is our main center and while routine exams are fine, the Drs and Nurses are great,  their urgent care is horrible.   My son 9 and daughter 15 had to be seen for strep throat on a Sunday. Luckily the Urgent Care Center in Towson is open on Sunday.  Both kids had high fevers and could barely hold up their heads.   I had to take them in and sit in the waiting room to be seen.   I then had to escort them to a room to have their temperatures and vitals taken by a nurse.  Once she was done we had to go back out to the waiting room.  Over 30 minutes later we had to go back in a room in the area we had just come from to see the DR.   The Dr. examed them and sent us down stairs to the lab for throat cultures.  Once they had the cultures we had to go back upstairs to the waiting room and wait to see the DR again.  After waiting another 30 minutes at least, we had to go back into an exam room for the results which were positive.   My 15 yr old had to literally lay in the floor in the waiting room on a coat because she was so sick she couldn't sit up anymore.  She was shivering from her fever and no one seemed to care.   I discussed the poor patient service to the physician and he said they would discuss it.  I told him that at Patient First for example, they put you in a room and culture your throat and they take it to the lab and come back with the results.  You don't have to run around and do it yourself.  Especially when you are really sick.  He said the center was not set up to work that way and they didn't have the staff to do that.  Horrible!

Next incident occurred on a Saturday Night.  I had a cyst rupture on the back of my knee due to a torn meniscus.  Very painful but I had it occur about a year earlier and went to the ER where they gave me pain meds and stabilized it until I could see a specialist.   I called KP and they told me to wait until the next day to be seen at the Urgent Care Center in Towson.  Another nightmare story.  My oldest daughter went in to get a wheelchair and it was missing the footrest that just happened to be on the hurt leg side.  I couldn't set it down or straighten it anyway so I just held it up by the knee.   The auto matic doors only opened one door and the other double door was locked so we had a hard time getting the wheelchair thru.  My daughter is by no means an expert at steering a wheelchair and the small halls and doors where almost impossible to navigate.  She bumped my knee at least 3 or 4 times trying to get me to registration. At which I let out a yelp from the pain.   After registering with my knee in my hands I was told to wait.   I had to have my daughter situate me in a position where I could put my leg up on the arm of a chair to relieve some pain and give my arms a break.   We had to ask for a pillow and I just got it in a good position, the nurse called me to come back to get my vitals.  I lowered my leg and started for the door and the nurse told me never mind she would get the vitals once the DR brought me back.  So back to the chair.   After an undetermined amount of time,   the nurse reappeared and sent me down to XRAY.  She didn't take me, just told me to go downstairs to xray.  (again the trble is put on the patient.) My duaghter beat me up a little more on the way down.  Got into xray and was told to get on the table.  Not helped, no compassion,   by this time I'm crying in pain.   Technician insists I have to straighten my leg for the xray.  I repeatedly told him I couldn't. It hurt too badly.  He basically yelled at me and said well try laying on your stomach.   I couldn't even roll over.   I burst out in tears and was crying so hard from pain that I was shaking.  My daughter 22, was crying too.  She could tell I was in great pain.   He took the xrays with a bent leg and he must have overheard my daughter complaining and the tech actually pushed my wheel chair back up to the waiting room.   That was after he told me to hold the xrays and dropped them on my lap (right on my knee.)     Had to sit in the waiting room again and wait for the DR.  Taken into exam room and DR verified no bones broke and referred me to the Ortho later that week.  A nurse came in to stabilize my leg.  I told her there was no way I could straighten the leg.  I told them that the ER stabilized the leg also, but they gave me ashot for pain first.   KP wasn't worried about my pain.  Nurse just shrugged and rolled up the brace and said she'd leave it on the front desk for me if I wanted it.   Turns out I couldn't straighten my leg because the meniscus was torn folded in half inside my knee.   Showed up on an MRA that I was Ifinally scheduled for 10 days after the injury.   Had to go to Woodlawn for the MRI, not available in Towson.

Last problem occurred when my daughter fractured her finger while playing softball and I had to call for authorization to take her to Patient First since KP's urgent care centers where closed.  Advice Nurse asked if it was broke and I told her I was not a doctor and had no idea.  I described the finger the best I could and was told that she would have to wait until the next morning. This was 8pm at night.  I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told the same thing.   I was told I could go to the ER without authorization and ended up being there from 830pm-3am.  Patient First would have been less expensive and much less time.  The member services lines in really bad.

Worste Insurance EVER

from Fairfax, VA

Comments about Kaiser Permanente:

If I could give less than 1 star - I would!! This insurance is the absolute worst I have ever had the mis-pleasure to pay for!! If this is the insurance your employer offers - run - do not walk - but RUN away - quite your job if you have to - to avoid this insurance provider. I have countless stories. Broke my foot and was told I needed an APPOINTMENT to go to the ER for x-rays and they could see me the next day!. Had surgery and ended up with MRSA - with a high fever, and 3 foot of snow - was told to drive 45 minutes away to the only ER - meanwhile driving past numerous other hospitals...and recently called to set an appointment with my PC because I have numbness in my face radiating out to the ear, down to the chin/neck and over the eye on my left side - and was promptly told my doctor was out of the office for 7 weeks. The physician covering could see me Friday afternoon - a week away....There are numerous other 'issues' with this group. Best advice I can give is - avoid at all costs.

Poor excuse for health care

from Va

I have had the misfortune of being with Kaiser for 6
years due to my employers choice. It's health care
without the care part. Disorganized medicine.
Absolutely the worst. Don't even think about it.

Used to be much better

from Gaithersburg, MD

Comments about Kaiser Permanente:

I am a patient and very dissatisfied with their service. It was great the first two years but now I cannot recommend them. It's difficult to get appointments. Now there are long wait times when I do get an appointment. I will be changing come open season

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Lack of INTEGRITY at its FINEST!!

from Maryland

Comments about Kaiser Permanente:

Do not. I repeat. Do not enroll with Kaiser Permanentes' health plan. The staff may have been pleasant, but I have experienced nothing but dishonesty, apathy and fraudulence from the Doctors. After I'd attend an appointment, I'd notice that my "visit summary" and "diagnosis" would contain falsified information. This happened to my son as well. We would see Doctors for certain ailments and afterwards would notice our office visit forms would have listed additional ailments which we did not have, nor were we tested for (keep in mind they never disclosed this with me). I have also been lied to about my health condition. I'm currently looking for another health plan. I have had too many bad experiences from these dishonest, unskilled/inexperienced Doctors. White Marsh gynecologists BE AWARE!

RUN WITH SPEED AND DON"T LOOK BACK!!!! PLEASE

from Georgia

Comments about Kaiser Permanente:

If you think you'll ever need a doctor, do not consider these fools. First of all, their own in-house system lacks transparency with their own in house doctors.Meaning there is a big disconnect between their own in-house doctors. You'll constantly find yourself explaining your medical problems over and over again and God forbid if the doctor leaves and you find yourself with a brand new doctor.

Six days ago (April 5, 2017) My mother was scheduled for a routine surgery on her colon. What was meant to last between 1 - 2 hours turned into 8! We learned from a different doctor that the Kaiser surgeon nicked (cut) her aorta artery and that they had to immediately contact a different surgeon in order to repair the injury! Now my mother is confused, extremely weak, can't move on her own nor sit up without her blood pressure sky rocketing.

Received a call from the Kaiser case worker stating that they were transporting my mother to a nursing home and that the surgeon released her. I told the case worker that my mother is in no condition to be transported to a freaking nursing home and asked to speak to the surgeon.

The surgeon called, from a restricted number, allowed my phone to ring once, and left a message stating that my mother stated that she's ready to be transported and that she's eating again (broth).

I need a lawyer!
CW

Same treatment for every problem

from Fremont, Santa Clara

Comments about Kaiser Permanente:

End of year 2016 I took Kaiser insurance. Later I was checking the doctors profiles to choose my PCP, I have seen a doctor profile where the doctor studied Computer Science and Electrical Engineering and worked as S/W development for 10 years. After working 10 years in technical side, he realized that his passion and interest in in medicine so he joined medicine, completed education and join Kaiser. I was wondering that is it so easy to complete medicine and get doctor job in America? That to be working on some other technology for 10 years.

My experience with Kaiser doctors made me to believe that it is possible. You need a worksheet to be a doctor in Kaiser, the worksheet will have complete data about what medicine first you need to prescribe and what next if first prescription doesn't work. Here are some examples:

Case #1: Patient goes to Kaiser doctor with acidity, this is what happens step by step:
1. Doctor ask patient to go for H-Pylori test (Breath/stool/blood)
- If test results normal, then use pentaprozole/omoprozole/zintac
- If test results abnormal, then anyway they have checklist which tells what antibiotics need to give

2. If no H-Pylori, then go for Endoscopy/colonoscopy or both
- If tests are normal, then use pentaprozole/omoprozole/zintac
- If test results abnormal, google also tells you what you need to take. Take 5-6 small meals instead 3 large meals, take plenty of water, stop smoking, stop alcohol, eat fruits, vegetables and go to bed on time, stop coffee/tea…etc.

Case #2: Patient goes to Kaiser doctor with numbness and tingling issues, this is what happens step by step:
1. Doctor ask patient to go for Diabetic test based on family history, test vitamin B and D
- If test results normal, then check if any nerves issues – some more tests again to make sure patient regularly meeting them. This runs till the patient say I'm good even though his problem is not solved. If patient regularly reports that the symptoms are there even after all t

First and last visit!!

from largo, md

Comments about Kaiser Permanente:

The wait for my asthmatic child was over two hours, we were put in a room and waited two hrs the nurse then came in with meds!! No one had listened to my childs lungs or anything, and she waked in with meds!!! Never again.....

Avoid at all costs

from Atlanta, ga

Comments about Kaiser Permanente:

My 92 year old father suffers from severe dementia and prostate issues. Unfortunately, he has Kaiser insurance. We try to get him meds from Kaiser but because he is near death, they send him to the ER. Because he has a living will and Kaiser will not authorize ER doctors to treat dementia, the ER sends him home with no meds. He is terrified, violent, and begging for death. Because of guidelines Kaiser gives their doctors, they can't help my Dad at all. We are now paying out of pocket just to get whatever care we can for a dying WWII vet. Avoid the pain and frustration my family is going thru. Avoid Kaiser if you can.

WORSE

from maryland

Comments about Kaiser Permanente:

Worse health insurance company I have ever seen.

Worst physcian ever

from Prince William County,Woodbridge, VA

Comments about Kaiser Permanente:

I joined Kasier Permannete a little over 2 years ago. Recently I have been suffering from Venus Varices of the lower extremities and Bilateral Barotrauma of the middle ear. I have had the ear problem for the last three years and it always flares up whenever I use planes. I went to my primary physician, DEEPT MAHAJAN(MD), complaining of these ailments since I have been feeling them following a recent travel to Houston. She first treated me for Otitis Media and gave me topical antibiotics for it. It did help at first but upon finishing my meds the heaviness I felt still persisted so I went back again for the second time. This time she decided to put me on glucocorticoid nasal drop for 10 days and told me to come back if the symptoms don't subside and she will be referring me to Otolaryngologist. Well I come back for the third time b/c the glucocorticoids didn't help at all. So I asked to be referred to the ETN specialist but she said the hospital doesn't have physicians under that specialty. I was bewildered b/c not a month ago she told me she will refer me to an ETN specialist if my symptoms persisted. Then she proceeded to call a physician who claims to be an ETN specialist to consult my case and later for me to talk to him. The only solution he could offer me was not to use q - tips to cleanse my auditory canal and wait the pain out as such symptoms usually tend to be self limiting. That was it. In all of this my Varices was mentioned only once even that was in passing as she was opening the examination room door to go to her office. She imputed the question about my varicose with such apathy and disregard that I taught going there for treatment was a mistake. Even after all this hassle I still feel the ear pain that seems to exacerbate by the day. In all of my experience with her I've found her to be easily irritable, disinterested in my case, aloof, unwelcoming, unwilling to listen what I have to say and apathetic.