2.4

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Available Plans:
    • I received a sample (5), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (4)

The gold standard of California HMOs

I hate the idea of HMOs...they totally take choices away from the consumer. That said, there are few of us who can afford ot get our primary ehalthcare in any other way these days. My workplace offers a few different plans. After extensive research, I went with Kaiser Permanente. After recently having suffered a very painful condition that lasted several weeks, I'm really glad I had Kaiser doctors on my side. Not only was my primary care physician really great - he's a good listener, really cares about his patients, and does all he can to keep people pain-free and comfortable, but he's the type of person who knows when somethig is beyond his scope. My problem had to do with my ears and, after several failed treatments, my doc frankly told me that he'd feel alot better about consulting with an ENT. I was afraid that would mean weeks of waiting, but no. He immediately called an ENT and had a phone conference about my condition. He then set up an ENT appointment for me on the very next.

Another great thing about Kaiser is the on-site pharmacy. Your doctor electronically sends out an order for your prescription. When your doctor's visit is over, you go straight to the pharmacy (which is on the main floor), and your prescription is ready and waiting. not only that, but it's signififcantly cheaper to use the Kaiser pharmacy, than to go to an independent drug store...where you'd probably have to wait.

During this entire ordeal (I had a rare and very stubborn ear infection that didn't respond to antibiotics) I found myself at the Kaiser Permanente E.R. in the middle of the night, just about out of my mind with pain. Anyone who has been to a big city E.R. with a non-life-threatening condition can tell you that it's not unusualto wiat four, five or even six hours to get medical attention, while people with respiratory and coronary issues are given priority (and rightly so.) Not only did I receive excellent care at the Kaiser E.R., but I was in and out in under two hours.

I'm fine, now, and I'll be only too happy to never see any doctor's office or hospital again but, if the need does arrive, I'm really glad I'm a Kaiser member.

HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT!!!

After having my company downsized our healthcare choices, I decided on Aetna after having Optimum Choice for years.    I didn't need a PCP but the co pay was a little higher than what I was use to.    I was able to keep all of my DRs, including my son's allergy dr.   After a year I decided to change to Kaiser to see if it would save us some money.   HUGE mistake!!!

I called KP before changing and was told they had allergists in Towson location for my son.   I live in Lutherville, so I thought this was a good thing.  Turns out they do not provide allergy shots for children.   None of the centers do.   After changing, I had to take my son to White Marsh for the allergist and was told he could get his shots in Towson, but the nurses there were not use to working with children.   My son is in his 4th year of shots and I didn't want to stop now, so I have to take him to White Marsh once a week.   Hours are 4-8,  rush hour traffic from Towson to White Marsh and then we have to sit there for 1/2 hour after each shot to make sure he doesn't have a reaction.   With Aetna shots were free and I only had to pay for the specialist visit, (25 dollar) copay when my son had to see the DR. bt not on a weekly basis. KP I have to pay a 15.00 copay for each shot.

The KP office in Towson is our main center and while routine exams are fine, the Drs and Nurses are great,  their urgent care is horrible.   My son 9 and daughter 15 had to be seen for strep throat on a Sunday. Luckily the Urgent Care Center in Towson is open on Sunday.  Both kids had high fevers and could barely hold up their heads.   I had to take them in and sit in the waiting room to be seen.   I then had to escort them to a room to have their temperatures and vitals taken by a nurse.  Once she was done we had to go back out to the waiting room.  Over 30 minutes later we had to go back in a room in the area we had just come from to see the DR.   The Dr. examed them and sent us down stairs to the lab for throat cultures.  Once they had the cultures we had to go back upstairs to the waiting room and wait to see the DR again.  After waiting another 30 minutes at least, we had to go back into an exam room for the results which were positive.   My 15 yr old had to literally lay in the floor in the waiting room on a coat because she was so sick she couldn't sit up anymore.  She was shivering from her fever and no one seemed to care.   I discussed the poor patient service to the physician and he said they would discuss it.  I told him that at Patient First for example, they put you in a room and culture your throat and they take it to the lab and come back with the results.  You don't have to run around and do it yourself.  Especially when you are really sick.  He said the center was not set up to work that way and they didn't have the staff to do that.  Horrible!

Next incident occurred on a Saturday Night.  I had a cyst rupture on the back of my knee due to a torn meniscus.  Very painful but I had it occur about a year earlier and went to the ER where they gave me pain meds and stabilized it until I could see a specialist.   I called KP and they told me to wait until the next day to be seen at the Urgent Care Center in Towson.  Another nightmare story.  My oldest daughter went in to get a wheelchair and it was missing the footrest that just happened to be on the hurt leg side.  I couldn't set it down or straighten it anyway so I just held it up by the knee.   The auto matic doors only opened one door and the other double door was locked so we had a hard time getting the wheelchair thru.  My daughter is by no means an expert at steering a wheelchair and the small halls and doors where almost impossible to navigate.  She bumped my knee at least 3 or 4 times trying to get me to registration. At which I let out a yelp from the pain.   After registering with my knee in my hands I was told to wait.   I had to have my daughter situate me in a position where I could put my leg up on the arm of a chair to relieve some pain and give my arms a break.   We had to ask for a pillow and I just got it in a good position, the nurse called me to come back to get my vitals.  I lowered my leg and started for the door and the nurse told me never mind she would get the vitals once the DR brought me back.  So back to the chair.   After an undetermined amount of time,   the nurse reappeared and sent me down to XRAY.  She didn't take me, just told me to go downstairs to xray.  (again the trble is put on the patient.) My duaghter beat me up a little more on the way down.  Got into xray and was told to get on the table.  Not helped, no compassion,   by this time I'm crying in pain.   Technician insists I have to straighten my leg for the xray.  I repeatedly told him I couldn't. It hurt too badly.  He basically yelled at me and said well try laying on your stomach.   I couldn't even roll over.   I burst out in tears and was crying so hard from pain that I was shaking.  My daughter 22, was crying too.  She could tell I was in great pain.   He took the xrays with a bent leg and he must have overheard my daughter complaining and the tech actually pushed my wheel chair back up to the waiting room.   That was after he told me to hold the xrays and dropped them on my lap (right on my knee.)     Had to sit in the waiting room again and wait for the DR.  Taken into exam room and DR verified no bones broke and referred me to the Ortho later that week.  A nurse came in to stabilize my leg.  I told her there was no way I could straighten the leg.  I told them that the ER stabilized the leg also, but they gave me ashot for pain first.   KP wasn't worried about my pain.  Nurse just shrugged and rolled up the brace and said she'd leave it on the front desk for me if I wanted it.   Turns out I couldn't straighten my leg because the meniscus was torn folded in half inside my knee.   Showed up on an MRA that I was Ifinally scheduled for 10 days after the injury.   Had to go to Woodlawn for the MRI, not available in Towson.

Last problem occurred when my daughter fractured her finger while playing softball and I had to call for authorization to take her to Patient First since KP's urgent care centers where closed.  Advice Nurse asked if it was broke and I told her I was not a doctor and had no idea.  I described the finger the best I could and was told that she would have to wait until the next morning. This was 8pm at night.  I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told the same thing.   I was told I could go to the ER without authorization and ended up being there from 830pm-3am.  Patient First would have been less expensive and much less time.  The member services lines in really bad.

Run do not walk

from Bowie, MD

Comments about Kaiser Permanente:

I have never been afraid to go to the doctor until I became insured by Kaiser. The Largo site reminds of a public health clinic with little time to actually engage in conversation with your doctor after the examination because they are held to a "get them in; get them out" mentality. Bedside manner; examining table manners you will not find here.

My first disappointment with this insurance plan happened when I went to the doctor concerning horrible pain in my leg. After her cursory examination, I asked what could be causing the pain. Her answer left me with my mouth hanging open. "Sometimes we don't know why people's legs hurt, they just hurt". I will be the first tell you that I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV BUT EVEN I KNOW THERE IS A REASON FOR PAIN!!!!

The second occurrence was for a colonoscopy. I did everything I was told to do prior to the procedure. During the procedure, I woke up and could hear the anesthesiologist say "she's waking up". Then I heard the doctor said put her back under. Fade to black......then I can hear myself screaming as I come out the SECOND TIME. Finally I am back in the recovery room and am asked to get dress and sit in a chair in another section of the surgical suite. When I ask to speak to the doctor and I asked her what happened, she responds in a very curt manner "you woke up". DUH???? REALLY???
Now I am panic stricken at the thought of these people touching me and definitely putting me under ever again. My husband carries this insurance and he thinks they're the best thing coming down the pike.

Stay away!

from Woodland hills

Comments about Kaiser Permanente:

Their services are low quality. Most of the doctors are not simply good. Urgent care actually kills you. Long wait, very lousy staff, bad service and guess what they will charge you three times for one visit. They keep sending you bills even tho you make the full payment they still send you bills. You'll end up paying three times minimum. Aweful customer services.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Worst place to get medical treatment

from maui hawaii

Comments about Kaiser Permanente:

Well guys and ladys if u want to die this is place to go they have no clue about health and if you lose your plan they cut you off from talking to the doctors all together its all about
money not the patients...they can not even keep track of when blood was taken from a
patient. all they do is guess guess guess. i had alot treatments done still they do not no
what is wrong with me. so i am going to go to another medical company and see hoping my condition will get better. all they are worried about is thier co pays and if you need specialist doctor you have wait three weeks for one to come to the islands. they really need to be watched..

Kaiser Permanente Bakersfield

from Bakersfield, CA

Comments about Kaiser Permanente:

I need surgery on my ankle, because the Bakersfield location has unskilled personal they force people to drive two hours south at your own expense. Because you will not be able to drive yourself back a relative will have to take time off work, you will need to set this person up in a hotel and pay for meals. If something was to go wrong during surgery, you're out of pocket cost for this person will climb. I have tried to get Kaiser to let me see a local surgeon but all they will say is this person is not a contract doctor.

Orthopedic appointments 3-4 week wait W/ No ability to Help

from Kennesaw, GA

Comments about Kaiser Permanente:

Kaiser was unable to get me in for nearly four weeks to start a viscosupplementation series due to recurrent knee pain and swelling.  When the appointment day arrived, I told the ortho that in the past I needed five shots instead of three.  Their preference was three as they said "the literature shows that five is no more effective than three".  I agreed.
There was no change after the three shots.  By this time, the effusions were so severe that I was on crutches, and at times cannot drive.
Via email, this ortho mentioned seeing their cartilage specialist.  I agreed.  I was unable to get in to see this doctor for three weeks.
I called the appointment line nearly every day to see if I could move this appointment up.  Being unsuccessful, I bundle all three kids up on the day of my appointment to make an hour drive there.
When I arrive, the doctor starts to talk in detail about what they would do during the recommended "open" surgery for a cartilage transplant.  I then ask this doctor how many procedures he has performed.  He replies, "none".  He then tells me he can credit my appointment and that I should see the Kaiser doc who has actually performed this procedure.
I was so angry.  I would wait three more weeks to see the doctor who supposedly had performed the surgery. I emailed my original ortho to tell him these details.  I also told him of my concerns about Kaiser's limited experience in cartilage surgery.  I told him that the physical and emotional pain of waiting three more weeks would be unbearable.  I asked him if Kaiser could refer me out of network to an experienced surgeon.  I heard back from him 1 week later, but I had signed on w/ a different insurance co.

2 Asthma Attacks, no med help and smear response

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about Kaiser Permanente:

I experienced "two" Loud and Intense Asthma Attacks in Kaiser's Examination Room after seeing the doctor while waiting for the nurse. The nurse not only heard me coughing, but I heard another Kaiser staff person ask her why she was not rendering medical assistance and her response was "No need to worry".

Had a heart attack occurred (with a lack of noise) instead of a noisy Asthma Attack, one would have died.

The response from Kaiser Corporate to my complaint letter was no more than a "smear reflection of the complaint" to shift attention from the problem of failing to render medical assistance within Kaiser's examination rooms.

Append this to your documented history of Kaiser placing one's life at risk AND their strategy to cover it up!

Queens and Kings of Incompetence

from Irvine, CA

Comments about Kaiser Permanente:

I am a cardiac patient and shocked at the poor level of care and basic empathy shown to patients. PLEASE READ MY CASE and pass it on to others.

Told I needed open heart surgery. This is an very invasive surgery and requires extended hospital stay and rehabilitation afterwards. I contacted my plan and was told my annual max could be reached and I should try to get an estimate of the cost and see if I could be proactive in getting these matters settled prior surgery. This is also recommended by the American Heart Association.

I have been referred to min 6 departments within Kaiser by Kaiser with NO answers. I have asked the same three questions since three weeks ago and not one person from Kaiser can tell me what my YTD paid is? Benefits paid prior years with KP? Approximate amount of surgery? Also, I have asked these same questions 12x's between phone calls and emails. When I pointed out this to their Member Services 3x's they said if you "feel like you a valid complaint you can file a grievance." Also, gem No. 1 is when I talked to the sales department (Referred by Member Services I was initially told initially told they could change my plan 2Xs and then five days later no, but "COULD SELL ME A PLAN FOR NEXT YEAR IF I RECOVERED FROM MY Surgery." Is this the plan you want your family, friend even causal friend to go to??? I maybe stuck hoping that I don't have a heart attack the next few months, but PLEASE DO NOT GO TO KAISER PERMANTE AND OR SIGN UP YOUR PEOPLE FOR next enrollment. Please one human being to another.signed cardiac patient and former MA coordinator.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

BIGGEST MISTAKE IN MY LIFE!!!

from Maryland

Comments about Kaiser Permanente:

We switched from Blue Cross Blue Shield for the year. Biggest mistake of my life!!! horrible billing practices. Doctors are nice but dont know how to make medical decisions without first contacting "member services" Since when does member services make medical decisions!!! Took my kids for a physical and the doctor was withdrawn and could care less what i was telling her. Was basically asking questions off of the screen. Needless to say, we have already inquired about the paperwork to switch back to Blue Cross the minute that open enrollment starts this year. NEVER AGAIN!!

Kaiser

from Bakersfield, CA

Comments about Kaiser Permanente:

I have been PRO Kaiser for years. Last year I needed a total knee replacement (Feb 2014) and I was sent out to an Orthopedic Surgeon who does not work for Kaiser. After the operation, I had to ask this doctor every other day for physical therapy, finally 3 weeks later he sent be for physical therapy. After six weeks I still did not have full movement of my leg, I could bend my knee to 72° degrees and straighten my knee to 8° degrees. It was at this time he wanted to perform a manipulation because I was not able to bend my leg more than 72° degrees. I did 6 more week's physical therapy; again I have to ask for more physical therapy, this happen 3 more times. At this time I can only bend my knee 90° degrees and I am still in a great deal of pain. After 5 months he said that he could no longer help me and said that I needed to get another opinion. I was then seen by a Kaiser Orthopedic Doctor, this doctor sent me to Kaiser Orthopedic Doctor know in Los Angles, this doctor said he could do nothing, then I was sent to Cedar Sinai Orthopedic Doctor, this doctor ordered two test. After 6 phone calls by me and two forms requesting medical records, to both, Cedar Sinai Orthopedic Doctor and Kaiser Orthopedic Doctor, the request was sent to Kaiser. I did have one of the tests, at Kaiser Orthopedic and this doctor wanted to research MRI or CAT scan, he wanted to see which would be better. This Kaiser Orthopedic said that this was the last visit, he said he could no longer help me, but he was there if I needed him. The other thing I noticed is that it is taking longer to get in to see my primary doctor, use to take 1 to 2 weeks, now it is taking 4 to 6 weeks and the wait time is taking longer. I no longer feel that personal touch at Kaiser, it could be because of all the issues I have had with me knee.

Kaiser Equal; 4th World Country Healthca

Comments about Kaiser Permanente:

I changed to KP 1/2015. I was assigned a primary care DR. When I met with that Dr.; I told her I had been run over by a pickup truck, 1 wheel across my back and the other a cross the back of my knees. My spine is degenerating and I am in constant pain; she wanted to set me up with a "Pain Psychologist"; was adamant that she would set me up with a Pain Psychologist. I laughed in her face. She asked me what I wanted from my visit with her; I said, "I guess nothing except I need my prescriptions from my previous Dr refilled. She refused to refill my prescriptions because 1 had codeine in it. I laughed in her face and walked out.

Getting care from Kaiser is worse that getting healthcare in a 4th world country.