3.9

John Frieda Radiant Red Shampoo

3.9

Pros

Cons

wouldn't say it 'redefines my shine' - but it does keep in color

I see a stylist at an Aveda concept salon and since getting my hair colored red again for the past two visits, he's been quite pleasantly surprised at how well the red color has held up. That's not to say he wasn't expecting it to, but it has held up EVEN BETTER than expected...all I have been consistently using is John Frieda Radiant Red and usually some of Aveda's Madder Root shampoo in conjunction with the Red conditioner. So while I can't prove it - and don't want to because that would mean the risk of losing a lot of color faster if I switched to something non-red oriented, I have to think this product is making a noticeable difference in keeping the red. I've noticed that sometimes (and know other people think this too) immediately during or after washing, it can make hair seem hard to comb through - but once it dries is actually quite soft. Beware, the mixture's slightly gloppy. Also, I mentioned to the stylist that what I'm using is John Frieda and he said "oh, stick with that then!" High praise from someone I really trust - and who sells products that AREN'T available in drug stores, etc. like John Frieda products are.

My only real complaint is it doesn't have a more distinct smell (it doesn't really have one at all). The good kind, that is. ;) It's hard to stay away from products that focus on fragrance when this doesn't really have one, in my opinion. Overall - a great product, especially since it's specific to redheads! *note: I've never used the Radiant Red color glaze, so please do not apply this review to that product.

Great for the price, especially compared to other colored hair-care products out there! And does NOT smell chemically in the least.

Description from site: Ignite your red hair with Radiant Red haircare products. Our new formulas with exclusive Light Enhancers help red hair attract more light. Project richer hues. Retain more precious color. All, while keeping it very healthy. With Radiant Red products, you can redefine your shine.

At least I think it is working

**I have just finished the bottle of John Frieda Radiant Red shampoo and I am not feeling too great about it.  I have not have any negative effects, meaning it feels just fine in my hair and cleanses my hair pretty nicly but I really do not feel it helped to maintain the red "glow" of my haircolor.  Perhaps it matter what type of haircolor you use? But I do not think it does and it does not advertize that it does.  It did not leave any red stains on my towels or anything like that either, though I have used it sparingly; I use a little dab and lather it up real well.  I used a proper conditioner with it as well.  One thing I need to say, however, is that I have never smelt a shampoo quite like this before!  The scent is almost cinnamon-like and was really suprsing at first - it sells geat and unique.  This John Frieda product is also a little pricy, mostly for the name brand I would say, as this is somthing I have seen in my beauty parlor for sale.  But, like most name brand products, I do not feel it was worth the higher pricetag.  I really did not see an increase in my color or any effects of keeping my red colors for any lonegr period of time.  I am not sold on it and I do not think it works but it was fun while it lasted.**

It's okay.

Comments about John Frieda Radiant Red Shampoo:

I've been dyeing my hair red for years, so naturally I turned to this product when I first transitioned to being a redhead. I used it for a while before I learned more about the needs of color-treated hair. The major downside of this shampoo for me is that is contains sulfates, which I try to totally avoid to best maintain my color. It smells pretty good, lathers well (sulfates...) and does its basic job, but it's nothing special. While using the blonde version of this brought out the blonde tones in my hair, I don't think this shampoo did much to emphasize different red tones, or to keep up your red hair. (I realize that this isn't a color depositing shampoo, but you'd think a shampoo advertised for redheads would be noticeably better than any other run of the mill shampoo.) There are a lot of better choices out there for dyed-red hair. Generally John Frieda has high quality hair products, and this shampoo is definitely better than average, but I'd skip it.

Not worth the price

Comments about John Frieda Radiant Red Shampoo:

I bought this shampoo thinking it would keep my naturally red hair bright so I wouldn't have to dye it. (I dye my hair the same shade it is naturally to give it a kick.) This shampoo didn't do anything at all except dry my hair out to the point of breakage. After every wash I not only have to condition it in the shower, but also use a leave in conditioner because it dries my hair out and tangles it up so bad it feels like straw. It's not worth the price at all and I will not be buying it again.

Does nothing?

from Kansas

Comments about John Frieda Radiant Red Shampoo:

John Frieda Radiant Red Shampoo did nothing for my hair. I have natural red hair but I dye it a little bit darker. I saw this advertised and thought maybe it would help maintain my hair. It doesn't. It's just like any other shampoo [I also used it with the conditioner]. There's no reason to pay the extra bucks for this product!

This is what the website says about the product:

"This advanced formula addresses the way red colour fades on three colour dimensions. With daily use it helps maintain rich, vibrant red tones.
Enhanced anti-fading technology and a gentle formula preserves vivid red colour and magnifies shine. Attracts light and amplifies rich tones to transform red hair.
For all shades of natural or colour-treated red hair."

Those claims did not live up to what I experienced. Not even close. It was just a normal shampoo. Both the shampoo and conditioner smell great and the smell remains in your hair afterward, which I like. It cleans well and rinses clean. It's a good shampoo! But my problem is the fact that it doesn't do what it's advertised to do. My dyed red hair faded just as quick as usual. It didn't add shine.

I don't recommend this shampoo. Its a good normal shampoo but does nothing for your red color.

Love how this brings out the red color in my hair

Comments about John Frieda Radiant Red Shampoo:

John Frieda Radiant Red Shampoo is one of my favorites even though I don't buy it all the time because it's hard to find and it's a little bit on the expensive side. I have natural red hair that I also have other red colors added into. This does a great job of bringing out my natural red highlights as well as bringing out the artificial red color in my hair. This does not make my hair dull at all, and it makes it look really shiny.

This shampoo also does a great job of keeping my hair clean. It does not make my hair oily at all, and it keeps it clean all day.

This works really well of bringing out natural red highlights as well as enhancing the red color if it is an artificial color. It does not dull your hair at all.

This product smells good, but it is not an amazing smell. It does not make your hair smell like the shampoo all day long. This scent is not overwhelming, so it might be better for people who don't like to have a strong smell with their shampoo.

Good shampoo, not so sure about the red enhancement

Comments about John Frieda Radiant Red Shampoo:

This is a good shampoo that leaves my hair feeling clean and smooth and shiny. I have brown hair with natural red highlights and I was hoping this shampoo would make them stand out even more. I can't see much of a difference but it makes my hair shine which I guess makes the red look nice. It seems like this shampoo would have more of it's effect on people with dyed red hair than natural, but it isn't bad.

The Conditioner is the Better of the Pair

Comments about John Frieda Radiant Red Shampoo:

I felt myself a bit underwhelmed when it came to this shampoo. Being a natural redhead, I've always feared that my red hair would dull with age, and turn into a ruddy mess. In an attempt to maybe prevent the future, I picked up both the shampoo and the conditioner. The shampoo smells lovely, just as the conditioner does, but on days where I would use a different shampoo and the Radiant Red conditioner, I found myself with the same results as the duo together would produce. Maybe it's just my perception, but I truly found no necessary need to have this shampoo for the sake of 'color-enhancing'. If judged as a standard shampoo, it fits the bill nicely. It cleans, smells good, etc. But as a coloring shampoo, it's underwhelming.

As said before, it lacks any sort of noticeable punch in the red-enhancement department (at least for myself, the packaging said that it was suitable for all redheads, so I'm assuming that includes both natural and dyed). It did make my hair shiny though, so if you have light highlights that might render it as redder.

I enjoy the scent. It is a very quintessential shampoo smell, clean and soft.

Great shampoo, even without the color conserving aspect

Comments about John Frieda Radiant Red Shampoo:

I bought this shampoo when I had colored my hair with henna, and I wanted to be able to extend the life of my red hair as long as possible. I am not really sure if this shampoo helped in that effort or not (I am naturally a blonde, so color seems to stay longer in my hair regardless of what I do), but I really liked it whether or not it kept my color longer, actually. I wasn't sure if I liked the smell, at first, but it really grew on me and now it is my favorite shampoo to use. The shampoo does a really good job of cleaning my hair and scalp without drying it out too much, and when you pair it with the matching conditioner, the results are even better. My hair is soft, clean, manageable and smells great after every wash. My hair is kind of thin, and sometimes I have a problem with it getting kind of weighed down by some brands of shampoo and conditioner. Not so with this one! I really like all the shampoos I've tried from John Frieda, so far, and I am becoming a dedicated fan, at this rate!

What is his secret?

from Cromwell, IN

Comments about John Frieda Radiant Red Shampoo:

I used to dye my hair a lot growing up. My favorite color choice was red. The only problem with this was every time I dyed it, it would start to fade after so many washes. I tried several different hair colors, all with the same results. That was when I decided that maybe it wasn't the hair color stripping the dye out of my hair, but the shampoo, so I decided one day to pick up some John Frieda Radiant Red Shampoo. It not only help bring out the red in my hair with the first wash, but it made it a very vibrant red, kind of like the girls on the cover of the hair dye boxes, but not quite. One of the best thing's about it was that it didn't take a whole lot of it either. I just put a little bit in my palm, and rubbed it into my hair, and presto. Another thing that I loved was that even after I decided to stop dying my hair, I used it on my hair and it brought out the natural red in my hair and it left my hair nice and shiny.

It helps bring out the red in your hair

Unfortunately, like most shampoo's, it doesn't have a very nice scent. I'm not saying it stinks, but it doesn't have any real scent I can explain

John Frieda Radiant Red Shampoo gave my hair shine

from Lincoln, NE

Comments about John Frieda Radiant Red Shampoo:

I felt this product was great smelling, rinsed out easily and gave my hair more shine as my dad and sister complimented me on my hair being more shiny.

I think it does what it says, being that I'm a natural redhead. It did give my hair shine which in turn made my red more vibrant. It maybe doesn't work on everyone, but I was happy with the outcome.

I loved the scent and found that after using I wanted to get the conditioner to try as well. I haven't made it to the store to purchase yet, but will let others know what I think when I do. This is one of the best scents I've tried in awhile and I try out a lot of different shampoo's and conditioners because I have long hair.

Enhances color with regular use, leaves hair clean and soft

from Gainesville, GA

Comments about John Frieda Radiant Red Shampoo:

This is a great shampoo. It cleans hair effectively, it smells pretty nice, and when used with the Radiant Red Conditioner it deposits pigment. I love it because it brightens my naturally red hair so the color is even more vibrant but it looks natural. Not many specialized shampoos multitask well, but this one does because it enhances color, it cleans hair well, and it leaves my hair soft and shiny too!