3.6
Other Lawn Mowers:
John Deere
20541
John Deere 42 in. 19.5 HP Front-Engine Hydrostatic Riding Mower

Summary

Delivery within 7-10 days by a local John Deere representative. At Delivery the customer will be taught by John Deere how to operate and maintain the mower. The John Deere 42 in. 19.5 HP Hydrostatic Front-Engine Riding Mower has an exclusive overhead valve design engine which offers efficient fuel economy while maintaining superior power. Hydrostatic transmission and 2 foot control pedals allow you to set your own pace while moving forward and reverse. The Edge Cutting System (deck) offers a smooth underside to prevent grass buildup, and the deep deck design lifts grass for a better cut.

John Deere 42 in. 19.5 HP Front-Engine Hydrostatic Riding Mower

3.6

Pros

Cons

• Engine Power:

It's okay for level lawns but isn't great on any inclines.

from West Virginia

Comments about John Deere 42 in. 19.5 HP Front-Engine Hydrostatic Riding Mower:

Overall this was an okay mower. We had this mower at our old home which was mostly level. The mower does great on level land but at the slightest hint of an incline, it goes all to pieces. I felt as if I was struggling to steer and control the mower whenever I went over the slightest bump or hill.

On flat, level land the mower does good. I feel like it lacks any real power though because it seemed to just go so slow compared to our mower now. I could finish the old yard in about two hours with this mower, whereas with my new mower I am done in about an hour and twenty minutes. Forty minutes is a long time to shave off due to using a different mower.

If I could've did it over again, I would have opted for a more powerful, more sturdy and stable mower. This one did okay, again, on flat and level land but it was hard to do anything else with it without feeling like I was going to lose control or bog the engine down.

It was really only suitable for flat land. It didnt do great with any hills or inclines.

Handling
The handling is okay on flat land. If I was even and inch or two off the ground on one side, the handling felt like a struggle to keep the machine running smoothly.

I just didn't like this mower overall because it couldnt stand up to hills or bumps or any inclines. I ended up finishing my lawn with a pushmower nearly everytime.

Safety
When I mowed the lawn, sometimes I felt as if I was going to tip the mower over on the slightest hint of a hill.

It's easy to use but it isn't as powerful as it needs to be and it isn't any good at any sort of incline. If one side is even two inches higher than the other, the mower is just too overwhelmed.

Engine Power
I always felt as if I was struggling to get speed with this mower.

• Engine Power:

THE BEST SMALL TRACTOR FOR YARDS/LAWNS, PERIOD.

Comments about John Deere 42 in. 19.5 HP Front-Engine Hydrostatic Riding Mower:

"Nothing runs like a Deere." This John Deere 43 in. 19.5 HP Front-Engine Hydrostatic Riding Mower 20541 is excellent for mowing small and large yards alike; matter of fact, it is the best mower, hands down. It provides a smooth ride on a comfortable seat, and gives you a neat, evenly trimmed yard every time.

I give this machine's performance a ten, simply because I cut our family's grass for over fifteen years with this lawn mower, without it giving me any major problems (that I fixed myself.)

Handling
This mower handles beautifully, and corners pretty well. It makes it easy to get around tight places, and it goes pretty fast, so mowing your lawn doesn't take that long. I would get my yard done pretty quickly, which is good so that I could spend more quality time with my family.

Like I said, fifteen years this mower has survived and still cuts my grass today. This machine surely has been through it all, folks. I wouldn't trade her for anything! She simply refuses to quit.

Safety
The blades are well tucked safely away underneath the sheath, and are not visible when mowing. You can pick the sheath up and down, depending on how tall or short you want your grass trimmed, and that is a snap.

My kids are able to mow with this mower, that's how easy it is to use.

Engine Power
This little mower is pretty quick; I get my yard done in a decent amount of time.

• Engine Power:

Best decision ive made for my lawn

Comments about John Deere 42 in. 19.5 HP Front-Engine Hydrostatic Riding Mower:

I bought this john deere model from my local lowes last year. I use it for the entire season, which was roughly 25 hours worth of riding. When i was deciding to purchase I went back and forth a thousand times but decided on the deere because of its sterling reputation for reliability. From day one it ran smoothly and got the job done

Provides a very smooth cut. I have lots of little bumps and hills and it makes an even cut and leaves the lawn looking great.

Handling
Handles very well and can have sharp turns for a big machine.

Ive only had it one year but it was incredibly durable during its first season. Fired up easily ever time I took it out. Had absolutely no problems. Maintenance is super easy on it as well. Oil changes are a piece of cake. Should require minimal maintenance during its lifetime

Safety
Lots of safety features that keep this machine very safe. I never had any worries about safety during my first year of use

Average lawn mower.

Comments about John Deere 42 in. 19.5 HP Front-Engine Hydrostatic Riding Mower:

The John Deere riding mower saves some of the work you would use on a push mower but it still requires foot work. It's great when you have more than one acre but it breaks down easily. The yard has to be cleared of sticks and stones prior to mowing, and the engine runs hot after about 30 minutes of use. It handles slopes well and does a good job on cutting the lawn. The blade is cheap though and breaks easily.

cheap

from Chatsworth, GA

Comments about John Deere 42 in. 19.5 HP Front-Engine Hydrostatic Riding Mower:

I will never buy another John Deere. I bought one in 2004 and bought another one last year. The L110 was not to bad but not what I would call John Deere quality. The starter went out and I can't ffind anyone to rebuild it. I bought the D110 and I am not happy with it at all. I am disabled and I have to wear open shoes and when I cut grass for a little while the heat from the motor comes out down by the gas pedal and it gets so hot I have to wrap my foot with a towel to finish cutting the grass. The gas tank has this arrow on it I guess it's suppose to show how much gas you have in the tank well needless to say it dosn't work. Also they made the tank black so you can't see how much gas is in there. I contacted John Deere about parts for my starter on the L110 and was informed parts are not available for older John Deere's well I wouldn't say my L110 is really that old that parts are not made for them. I am on a fixed income and I think you should make kits available so we can fix it our self.

Cuts good

Handling
Handles ok no better than any other mower

made with cheap plastic

Safety
heat from moter blows hot by the gas pedal

other lawn mowers are just as easy

runs ok