Other Exercise & Fitness Accessories:
Jawbone Up

Jawbone Up

pretty nice fitness band

About Me Casual/ Recreational

Pros

• Easy To Set Up
  • Easy To Use
  • Quiet
  • Sturdy

Cons

• Bulky

• General Fitness
  • Low Impact Exercise
  • Performance Training
  • Strength Training
  • Weight Loss

Comments about Jawbone Up:

I received one of these from my parents after they had bought the same thing and liked it. It was my first fitness band. It has some neat features. It had an alarm feature where it would vibrate for your alarm, which made a nice soft wake up. It also was really easy to slip on and off. You could also set it to vibrate after a certain time of inactivity or to remind you to go to bed. And the Jawbone phone app is PHENOMENAL. It is so nice to use that I've lost 10lbs in a month, just being able to keep track of all my info.
I really liked the band, except for a few minor flaws. First, I was bummed that it wasn't customize-able. I had gotten the black band and that's what I was stuck with. 24/7. I had been eyeing a Fitbit because you can pop it out and switch bands. I really like that feature. The other thing I didn't like about the Jawbone UP was that the band is so thick. I didn't like wearing it at work because it made typing and using the mouse hard. Or even just resting your wrists on your desk, it made it weird. There was one other thing that I didn't like. There was a button you could press to change in and out of sleep mode, which took a while to remember how many times to press it, but not too hard, but it was placed in a position that made it awkward. The band lights up to show you what mode you're in, but you have to like, wrench your wrist around to see what mode briefly flashes. Very inconvenient.
The mode button actually broke off my band a few weeks ago and I contacted customer service. They replaced the band free of charge, and this time I got the Jawbone UP Move. And I will definitely continue to get Jawbone products for future fitness bands.

• Was this a gift?:

Great fitness tracker

Comments about Jawbone Up:

Great way to track sleep and activity on a daily basis. Durability is a little above average. Since you take it on and off a couple times a day to sync, it gets a little wear and tear but overall it is a quality product. Have used for a year and still works good. You can also track other workouts from within the app.

Has Great Benefits

Comments about Jawbone Up:

I really enjoy having my jawbone up, it's said that if you begin to examine your life more closely you will start to adopt better behaviors and I think that is true. Now, I was already at least partially aware of my habits before I bought the band and started to use it. But what happened is now I had to face those issues every single time I plugged it in and updated my app on my phone. Sitting around for hours was definitely not good for my overall long term health.

It's true that this band can become a pain sometimes, it's easy to forget to plug it in at times or forget to change the band from day to night or back from night to day, and some features that are supposed to be helpful can just get downright annoying but are completely optional.

The features are the ability to have it wake you up at a certain time, and a time window so that it can make sure to wake you up during a time of light sleep as opposed to heavier sleep which will make you groggy. It also has an optional feature that it will buzz if you've been sitting around for a specified amount of time that you decide. This can get annoying, but it does keep you aware that you should probably at least stand up and stretch or walk around a bit.

Lastly, they give you tips on how to be more healthy and will also link to other apps, so any food logged or exercise is shared among apps. I can see how some people might find the up band as a waste of time or money, but I don't believe for a second that if used properly someone's life wouldn't be impacted for the better.

Really cool first month, then a little boring, then maybe breaks

Comments about Jawbone Up:

I used this religiously for about a month. I tracked my data and uploaded to the app regularly and showed off the awesome analytics interface to friends. I touted the benefits of tracking my sleep, and used that feature as a selling point over the competitors Nike Fuel Band and Fitbit. But then I started to wonder how I was supposed to use the data. I stopped tracking and uploading regularly once I realized I was not changing behavior. It just become another route task in my life: putting on, taking off, uploading, charging, putting on, taking off, uploading, checking data, charging, etc. etc. And I realized I could use that time more productively otherwise.

Then one day I noticed that I had chipped off the button you hold to change modes. I then had to use the button with the nail of my finger in order to reach the little cylinder that the square, flat button was attached to. I kept going for a while like this, sometimes not wearing it because it got in the way and I had stopped tracking data. At this point it was a little bit of a fashion statement. It just looked cool, and some people had thought it was a bracelet with no technological function. So I just continued. Then one day it stopped working completely. I'm guessing that was from some liquid that had gotten in through the opening created as a result of the lost button. But it was supposed to be waterproof, so perhaps not. I just really didn't care that much. Don't think I'll buy another.