Other Sewing Machines:

Janome Mechanical Sewing Machine

Pros

Cons

solid quality in a compact package

My original machine was a Singer that belonged to my Mom before me and while it was a great machine it was also huge and weighed a ton. When it finally died beyond repair I was looking for a machine that was solid and reliable but would not take up a lot of space. This machine was the answer, it is reliable, easy to use, but powerful enough to handle all of my sewing needs. I can mend, sewing, and quilt with this machine and I have not had a problem yet. The stitches are smooth and strong and I never have feed errors or clumped thread. I find it easy to use and easy to carry around to places I need it to go to. I can store it away easily when not in use which is a must for my limited craft room space these days. While I still hope to have the money and room for a fancy computerized machine someday, this machine was a great buy for a bargain price and I couldn't be happier.

I had high hopes for this little machine.

I bought this machine for my daughter and at first, I was just as satisfied with it as I was my personal Janome. But, it soon started to jam easily and before I knew what to do with it, it began to skip stitches. I had it looked at and worked on, but within a few weeks, it was right back to do the same thing. It seems that all the pieces are plastic too so they are not very durable. If you are VERY careful and know more about the mechanics of machines, I suppose you might have a better experience than I did. But once this machine started acting up, it wouldn't stop.

Stitch Performance
My machine ran well for a while, then began to skip stitches.

It's simple to use.

Fabric Handling
You can't use anything heavy duty, the plastic gears don't seem to like that.

Versatility
This is light and portable, making it nice for classes.

The design is simple and a child could operate it.

Mine only lasted a few months and has not ran correctly since, in spite of a repair that cost more than the machine.

A good surprise

from Sacramento, CA

Comments about Janome Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I was pleasantly surprised with the Janome Mechanical Sewing Machine. I own another much more elaborate Janome so my expectations for this less advanced version were low. Well, I was clearly off base! This turned out to be a much better machine than I expected. It is great for simple sewing, I haven't had any difficulty with feeding fabric through the feed dogs. The machine is very easy to thread. I have had no difficulty with setting the tension and likewise, have had no problems with the tension failing to hold as the stitching proceeded. Even when I have used very difficulty fabrics like silk and very heavy fabrics like felts, the results have been the same--even stitches and no breakage. Given that this is a relatively less expensive machine, I have been very pleased with those results. One area of concern for some sewers might be the limited number of stitch patterns. However, I have found there is an adequate variety, given the types of projects that I use the machine for. In short, it's a great buy!

Janome 124 Jamming

Comments about Janome Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I purchased this machine for my grandaughter. It would only run a short time and then clunk and jam. We reviewed the manual, rethreaded the machine and bobbin, adjusted the tension and inserted a new needle. Sometimes it will sew for 3 feet and sometimes for three inches before a clunk and jam. I own 3 other sewing machines and I know how to use a machine. This machine was a huge disappointment to me, and my grandaughter did not have a good first impression of using a sewing machine. Hancock fabrics will not refund or replace the machine and it will cost more to take it to a repair shop.

Stitch Performance
Cannot get it to stitch before jamming.

Small but Strong

Comments about Janome Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I initially bought this sewing machine from Janome as a gift for a friend's daughter; after givinbg it to her and hearing such great things about it from my friend, I decided to give it a try myself. That was one of the best decisions I ever made regarding sewing equipment!
Because of its small size it is really easy to transport- I have taken it to several craft fairs and events, mended clothing on the fly, and even carted it on a cross-country road trip (and it did a fantastic job fixing a hole in my rain coat!). It isn't computerized, so I would guess complex stitching would be a little bit limited compared to some of the other options out there, but it is a sturdy little guy and a great bargain- you definitely get more than your money's worth. In the past I have generally leant more towards Singer brand than any other, but I am starting to get more curious about what Janome has to offer now...all in all, this is a worthwhile purchase and I haven't regretted it one bit!

Small size, real machine

Comments about Janome Mechanical Sewing Machine:

The Janome Sew Mini, sometimes sold as Janome 124, is extremely simple to use. A simple dial chooses both stitch and stitch length in straight stitch and stitch length and width in zigzag stitch. It has only seven stitches in total, so there is very little room for confusion about which stitch is selected.
Because the Sew Mini is made in the same factory as regular Janome models, it has many of the same features and benefits as a full size machine. Among these features is a top drop-in bobbin system. Being able to see how much thread you have left in the bobbin means never losing stitching in the middle of the seam.
This little machine only weighs about five pounds, making it easy to tote to quilting classes or while traveling. Its small size also makes it ideal for children just beginning to learn to sew.
Unlike less expansive toy versions, the Sew Mini is a real sewing machine, just in a smaller form.

great product

from NJ

Comments about Janome Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I think first the setup of this product is simple, open the box and its ready. All that you need to do is add in the bobin which they machine has the ability to put the string you'll need on it around it with a simple set up and button. Once you place the bobbin then the string is placed on top and followed with the arrows. So if you get lost with the area you then string the needle. After that your ready to pick your settings and sew! I have to say this item is super great it does help out so much.. I was new to sewing and using a machine this did what it needed too. I love it, I used it to make doll clothes for selling a new home business of mine. And I first started off and didn't get it first thing but after a second try I knew what I was doing. the manual was easy to understand and super simple to do. I think this is easy for beginners and not a huge item that will sit there and take up space.. You will understand it the first few times you begin and then once you get going you won't be stopping soon. Keep at it and you;'ll be good as golden.. does many different stitches to add design to what every you'll be sewing. and it adds a bit of fun as well. make your own clothing and Prom dress lol once you get good enough. simpler then most good for beginners, slides right through and easy to sew on all types, and very strong and durable for a long time use. Just like Singer this is top of the line and cheaper!

very

easy for all beginners

easy to use

Versatility
make different things with this machine and different fabrics and use of different patterns as wells

nice design very easy to understand and use

easily does what it needs and works great

• Versatility:

I had high hopes for this little machine.

Stitch Performance
My machine ran well for a while, then began to skip stitches.

It's simple to use.

Fabric Handling
You can't use anything heavy duty, the plastic gears don't seem to like that.

Versatility
This is light and portable, making it nice for classes.

The design is simple and a child could operate it.

Great compact product

from Campbell, OH

Comments about Janome Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I have to say the Janome Sew MIni Mechanical Sewing Machine is well worth the money. Great for a beginner or an expert . Its compact and will fit anywhere. Its also easy to carry. It does a great job at sewing and you get a lot of different sewing options to choose from. It really a quality product that is not expensive. I have been using mine for years with on problems or complications. Fantastic product. well worth it.

solid quality in a compact package

from Mckinney, TX

Comments about Janome Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I can't sew at all, but I can use this machine!

from Fort Mill, SC

Comments about Janome Mechanical Sewing Machine:

I had been wanting a sewing machine for a very long time.  I can not sew by hand at all and have absolutely no experience with machine sewing either.  I wanted something easy to learn with and simple.  My sweet husband did some research before Christmas and picked this Janome sew mini machine for me.  I absolutely *love* it!  I was scared at first that I wouldn't even be able to thread it.  Surprisingly, it wasn't all that hard!  I was able to do it on the first try which made me very proud of myself!  I was able to sew a zipper back on a pillow that had been off for a few months within a few minutes of reading all the instructions and getting it threaded.  Not the best job ever probably, but excellent for a start!  Now, I'm combing the house for things to mend and planning my first actual sewing project too.  I want to be able to make simple things for my kids and I know with this machine that is possible!  Once I feel comfortable with it, I think I'll love upgrading to a more complicated Janome machine to continue making wonderful things for my family.

Best. Mini Sewing Machine. Ever.

from Kennesaw, GA

Comments about Janome Mechanical Sewing Machine:

When I was eleven years old my parents bought me a portable, mini sewing machine so that I could practice sewing. Needless to say, the instructions were confusing and the machine itself broke after the first several stitches on some thin discount fabric renments. I had to learn how to operate on a larger machine as a result.

Fast forward to over eight years later. I am a college student that decided to sew in my dorm room during boring weekends. The only problem was that the bigger machine I own is not exactly portable. I researched portable sewing machines and decided this would be the best one for me.

It certainly works better than the horrible poor quality one I received as a child. I read the manual to make sure that my machine worked similar to a larger machine. It does. It acts exactly like a real sewing machine. The instructions were also clear when I read them; I did not reread poor English over and over again to comprehend what they meant.

I love my Sew Mini. I could wish for anything it would be for an adjustable arm. It could help with, say, pant legs. But that's my only complaint.