3.8

Ivory Soap

3.8

Pros

Cons

Ivory works great on my face!

I love using Ivory.  I buy it for my whole family.  I like that there are no dyes in it.  My husband and children are all sensitive to the dyes.  I have to be very careful about what soaps I buy them!  None of them break out, which is common with many "specialty" soaps.  The other thing I like about Ivory is that it works great on my face.  I am prone to break outs.  I have tried lots of facial cleansers including Mary Kay face wash, Cetaphil, and others specifically for acne.  The Mary Kay & Cetaphil were helpful, but did not completely take care of my problem.  The acne cleaners would dry my face out too bad.  Now I use Ivory on my face every morning in the shower, plus a little baking soda as a mild abrasive, and my face is clear almost all the time.  Works like a charm!  And much less expensive than those specialty products for break outs and acne!  I stay stocked up on Ivory bar soap and don't purchase any other.  For the price and "back to basics" type of product I look for, I find it perfect!!!

Ivory: 99 and 44/100ths % Pure! Uh, pure what?

As a kid I took a lot of baths and, floating always in the tub besides me was a bar of **Ivory Soap.**  My cousins always had a green soap in their house.  A green soap with a neat smell.  Palmolive.  "Ma", I'd ask, "Can we get some Palmolive?"  The answer was always "No".  "We use Ivory, it's pure, 99 and 44/100ths% pure".

I never quite understood just what that meant, but my mother really thought it was important.

**Fast Forward**

Who would have ever guessed that many years later a hobby of mine would become the making of soap?  I certainly wouldn't have.  So what does this have to do with Ivory?  Well, I've learned a lot of stuff.  Like what goes into making different soaps.

Soap, pure soap, is simply a mixture of fats or oils, water and sodium hydroxide (lye).  In the right proportions a chemical reaction occurs known as saponification that renders the lye harmless and turns the fats and oils into soap.  Really simple stuff.

Almost any kind of oil will do and each oil or combination of oils produces a soap with different characteristics.  So, let's take a look at the ingredients in a bar of Ivory.

**Ingredients **Sodium tallowate, sodium cocoate or sodium palm kernelate, water, sodium chloride, sodium silicate, magnesium sulfate, and fragrance.

So where are the oils?  Actually, they are the first three ingredients.  Let me translate.  **Tallow, Coconut Oil** or **Palm Kernel Oil** saponified with **Sodium Hydroxide**.

Tallow is a very common fat used in soap making.  It's cheap, plentiful and it makes a hard bar of bubbly soap.  It's also rendered beef fat.  You read that right.  **Beef fat!**

Don't get me wrong, beef fat make pretty good working soap.  So does pig fat (lard).  But, I'd venture a guess there are more than a few would-be vegans retching right now at the thought.  **The main ingredient in pure Ivory Soap is rendered beef fat.**

When I make or buy a soap I prefer to use vegetable and non-animal oils.  Olive, Coconut, Palm, Cocoa Butter,  Avocado, Castor, etc.  They cleanse and condition gently and unlike animal fats they won't clog your pores.

**My Viewpoint**

Look, Ivory Soap has been used safely for generations.  It's not going to harm you.  But for my money I prefer something a little different, say a gentle 100% pure Castille Soap (Olive Oil) or a soap made of a combination of conditioning vegetable oils.  I prefer to leave the beef fat where it belongs; in my hamburger or on my steak!  How about you?

Rudi

The Many Uses of Ivory!

from In Upstate, NY

"The Many Uses of Ivory"
I recently received a free sample bar of Ivory soap ! I really love Ivory. The soft scent takes me right back to my youth. Growing up, Ivory is the only soap that my mom would use,and it's the only soap I used with my own children. It's gentle and cleans perfectly. I especially like that one can use it on the entire body from face to toes! Ivory soap is 125 years old, and prides itself on being simple and having what you need and not what you don't need. It's 99.44% pure , and it is still floating on water after all these years! As a facial cleanser, I have found it to not only cleanse my skin, but also give to give it a smooth feel and a healthy glow. It's good for the kids and it's good for Mom and Dad too! I like to keep things simple and as natural as possible. I even use Ivory soap to do laundry. I spot treat any stains on our clothes with Ivory prior to washing. One can even chip the soap into flakes and put them directly into the washer. I have even used Ivory to get stains out of the carpet and furniture. I have even used it on our dogs. Besides being a gentle and effective cleanser, Ivory is very reasonably priced, and is one of the least expensive soaps on the market. When it comes to cleansing, Ivory does the job and does it exceptionally well, keeping ingredients as natural as can be. One bar that the whole family can use! Who could ask for more?!

My Favorite Soap

Comments about Ivory Soap:

I absolutely love the original Ivory Bar Soap, and frankly, I get upset whenever my parents bring home any other brand. I have used it since I was a little child. The scent is present, but not overpowering, and I always associate it with cleanliness. It never leaves any residue on my skin like other brands do, is extremely soft and gentle, and you can practically feel your pores opening after you lather your face with it and rinse. You can let it sit in your cabinet for months and let it dry out and it will still be as good as new as soon as you get a little bit of water on it. I actually prefer to let it dry before I use it since it lasts a bit longer that way, but it is not overly expensive (I am just super thrifty!). I also like the fact that you can get lather out of it relatively easily. Some other soaps barely produce any lather, no matter how much you rub them between your hands.

Good for sensitive skin

from Eustis, FL

Comments about Ivory Soap:

I have very sensitive skin and I love the fact that Ivory soap does not break my skin out or leave me feeling dry like most soaps do. It surprisingly leaves my skin feeling noticeably moisturized after I use it. I am so glad that Ivory soap is very inexpensive as well, so I don't have to worry about breaking the bank just to buy a soap that is made for people with sensitive skin like mine. The one thing I do dislike about Ivory soap is that it tends to break apart into small pieces fairly fast. I do also have an issue with soap residue being left in my tub after I use it to take a bath but that's to be expect with any bar soap. But being that that is not what my concern is when it comes to a soap, that doesn't bother me much as long as it's doing the job that it's supposed to do. I am also not big on scents when it comes to my bar soap so I am glad this soap doesn't have a heavy scent. It actually doesn't really have a smell to it at all to me.

Ivory leaves my skin too dry

from Atlanta, GA

Comments about Ivory Soap:

Ivory soap in my opinion leaves people's skin extremely dry. After using this soap bar, my skin felt tight, dry and itchy. Maybe this soap is good for the use of people who have excessively oily skin or who suffer from acne. It may actually help dry their acne and tone down their skins oil.

The Ivory soap bar is not effective for those like me who enjoy and prefer using a bar that leaves your skin feeling soft, silky, manageable and hydrated. The time I used this soap I had to use baby oil to help calm the dry itchy sensation my skin had. Ultimately, I had to re-shower with my other favored soap to relieve the unpleasant feeling my skin felt.

Ivory has a very bland, maybe even medicine like scent to me. It may be helpful for people who have allergies to perfumes or heavy scented toiletries, but for someone like me who likes smelling good and clean and who also enjoys trying new scents, this soap wouldn't work.

Left My Skin Dry

from USA, Indiana

Comments about Ivory Soap:

I suffer from sensitive skin and every once in a while I like to try different bath soaps to see if it would be any type of benefit to help sooth and clean my skin. My current bar soaps I use are expensive in price but very effective with aiding in my various skin problems.

I would like to find a bar soap that is less expensive but will give me the same results that I am looking for. I thought maybe I would have found all what I was looking for with Ivory sense I have read positive reviews.

I did not like this bar soap because it did not sooth my skin and it left my skin extremely dry after each usage. This is not the bar soap for me. I did not like it at all.

This product did clean my skin very well. What I did not like is my skin felt very dry after using this product. It literally felt like all of my body natural moisture was sucked right out once I used this bar of soap. My skin felt itchy and extremely dry.

The scent of Ivory Soap is very light and fresh smelling. It does not contain any perfumes which is great if you suffer from sensitive skin.

Clean and simple

from Panama City, FL

Comments about Ivory Soap:

I grew up using Ivory soap; it's the only soap my mom ever bought, so I just took it for granted that soap WAS Ivory. When I became an adult and started buying my own soap, I tried many different brands because I was mainly curious about the different scents that were available. To me, Ivory just smelled like soap and nothing else, so any other scents were a novelty. Well, I've always gone back to Ivory no matter what other brand I've tried. It has a simple, clean unisex smell that no one in the family objects to. The best thing about Ivory is how gentle it is to your skin. It may not be the most moisturizing soap, but it is definitely the best for sensitive skin. Ivory has a very good lather and rinses off cleanly with no greasy residue left on your skin or in your shower. As an added bonus, Ivory is very reasonably priced!

Ivory has a no-frills, clean scent. What you'd describe as the scent of soap.

Ivory Soap-Pure, Basic, Cleansing

Comments about Ivory Soap:

This is the most basic soap I have ever used. I grew up with this soap in my household, and continue to use it as an adult. My family uses it too. I prefer to use this just for hand washing. I have tried this in the shower and for the following reasons I think it's more for hand cleaning. First, it does not lather up like other beauty bars/moisturizing bars. You do get lather, but in my opinion not enough to clean all over your body. Second, I just feel it does not provide moisture to all over parts of my body. It does have a nice pleasant scent, no real description, just clean and pure, not floral or fruity in any way. I would recommend this for adults, not children, for I feel they need more moisture in a soap. I have never had any irritation from Ivory and it does clean my hands quite well. It is rather inexpensive and I feel a good bargain for a hand soap. I will continue to use in my bathrooms for a decent hand washing soap.

Basic, clean, pure.

Very basic. There are better things out there.

Comments about Ivory Soap:

Ivory Soap is one of those products that has been around forever but doesn't seem to have ever updated. I remember my grandmother using it, and it seems exactly the same as it did then. It's okay as soaps go, but it's not great. It would get a higher score from me if it had some kind of moisturizer in it, but it just makes me too dry. My husband, who has no skin issues at all, uses it from time to time and likes it fine.

Ivory Soap is perfectly acceptable at cleaning, but it makes my skin extremely dry while leaving a bit of a residue. The lather feels a little strange, and it doesn't really rinse away that well. One of the things it has going for it is that it's pretty cheap, and there are usually coupons available. If you don't have sensitive skin or dry skin, it would probably be fine.

The scent of Ivory Soap is actually pretty nice. It has a nice fresh scent, not overly floral or fruity.

A Natural and Classic Choice

Comments about Ivory Soap:

Ivory soap has been a part of my family for as long as I can remember. It is not the only type of bar soap that we keep in our home, but it is always available when we need it. It is a great choice for days when you just want to wash away all impurities, without adding a bunch of additional scents or chemicals to your skin. It leaves you feeling truly clean. Ivory is great for use after those hot summer days, when your skin feels oily and clogged. It completely removes all traces of dirt and oil, and leaves you feeling clean and refreshed. As someone who used to be prone to acne breakouts, I learned a wonderful secret. Ivory soap (used approximately twice a day), is the best product to dry up and prevent future acne breakouts. I raised two teenagers who also became believers in Ivory for their own acne struggles. It is more effective than any of those over-priced "acne solution" products. I don't recommend Ivory for those with very dry skin (at least on a daily basis), because it does remove a lot of oil from the skin. Ivory has been a part of my family for years, and I believe that it will continue to be used in many future generations.

For generations a good product

from Sacramento, CA

Comments about Ivory Soap:

I have very sensitive skin, so for my bath and face I use a full fatted gentle soap such as Kiss My Face olive oil soap. However, for other purposes I use ivory. I am constantly washing my hands. For example, as soon as I walked through the door at home, I wash my hands because I have been touching lots of stuff with germs and viruses on the bus, ie. the pull cord, the hand rail, etc.

Public health websites say that washing your hands is one of the most effective ways of avoiding illness, So, I heed their advice and I wash my hands, with Ivory.

Likewise, my cat who is very ancient (almost 30 human years old) has considerable health issues and the vet advised lots of hand washing to lesson her exposure load. So, out comes the Ivory.

I would definitely say its a bit too harsh for other uses, but it has proven very effective over the years for hand washing purposes. During the driest, harshest part of winter, I do find it drying my hands a tad, but shea butter rectifies that. So, I'd have to admit I'm loyal for this purpose to Ivory.