4.1

Instead Softcup

4.1

Pros

Cons

don't be scared off, this thing is a godsend!

Have you ever had one of those moments where you glance at the calendar, realize your period is approaching and go "Oh, GREAT. Wonderful timing!"

I...Read complete review

I think most of us have (at least the females.) Whether it's because of a vacation, a road trip, a marathon or a romantic rendezvous, the agony of defeat you feel when you realize you're about to get your monthly "gift" as they say, is gonna be gone.

I was skeptical, and in a last ditch attempt to salvage my getaway with my significant other, I tried these.  I warn you, I will get truthful, and if that makes you uncomfortable, stop reading now. :)

I was timid, I freely admit this to you. Timid about it, nervous, and skeptical. I hadn't felt like that about something period-related for years, but there I was.  And I worked myself up for nothing.  If you squeeze the ring, it's thinner than your average tampon and just a little longer than the tampon sans applicator. It might look really rigid, but it isn't.

Granted, the directions, at least to me, seemed a little gloss-over, but once you get to application yourself, you'll find it's easier than they make it seem. It's a quick up and over, which makes more sense once you actually try it.

Once in, you really can't feel it, as long as you've put it in right, similar to how it is with tampons.

12 hours is a nice long time, and it lasts as long as it promises to last with no leaks. (and trust me, I tested it for this, I was super freaked out about leaks, but had no issues) .  Don't use it any longer, because for some reason,  after that long, you may have issues.

My biggest con is that it can be a bit harder to get out than it was to get in. It doesn't hurt to get out, but it takes some time.  Bearing down helps immensely.  My honest suggestion to you is to first RELAX and then, to plan it at a time you can easily take a shower or something.

One other small con is this: pay attention to how you're putting it in, you can put it in upside down and while it feels the same, it does not work the same.  You can tell which way is up by looking at the way the plastic "cup" part naturally hangs down.

You can remove it without a huge mess once you get the hang of it, and really, it's not as gross as you might think it would be. Honestly, I find it a lot less "gross" than tampons.

I'm just going into my second cycle using it, and I'm really happy with it, for a few reasons. 12 hours? Fantastic!  Being able to have sex while using it? Amazing! I think in some cases, it might be felt by a partner, but it certainly doesn't seem to budge.

Overall, I really think the pros outweigh the cons, and I encourage you to try it. I knew about these for YEARS and I never did because I was freaked out by them, and I really wish I'd tried them sooner.  They're not expensive, either. I got a box for 8 bucks and it will easily last me 2 months.  That's on par with tampon prices here.  It's safe, not even a risk of TSS (different materials)...and it really makes you worry less, once you learn to trust it.

So go for it!

I will never use these again

These things are horrible. Feel like it is way to big completely fills me up i dont even know how anyone would be able to get a penis in there, let alone without it getting all bloody and poking him.  It hurt so bad within 2 hours sent shooting pains through my pelvis and into my stomach. When i tried to get it out it was stuck and i had to put two whole fingers and pull it it out it was very difficult blood went everywhere and it hurt so bad pulling it out like it was stretching me in a very uncomfortable way. Piss.. me... offf.... Maybe its just me but if you are sensitive to tampons like me i would not recommend it

clarity on tge messiness

from Knoxville TN

Pros

• Comfortable
  • Discreet
  • Easy To Use
  • Effective
  • Good Protection

Cons

• Messy

• Daily Use
  • Heavy Days
  • Light Days
  • Swimming
  • Travel

Comments about Instead Softcup:

I've been using these for about 4 years now. The comments going back and forth messy not messy is because they become messy when they overflow. When a tampon gets to full u see it on ure underwear automatically, but with these u dont realize it til u get and take it out and if ure not used to using them of course ure gonna think this is just how it is.as long as u change them in time its not messy. But unless u just went waaaay overtime the great thing is if they do overflow its not gonna get on ure clothes. I believe my period goes by faster with these...but I could be wrong. My husband and I have never had sex with these ...just can't bring myself to...but I could see how its possible. I've even been in a situation where I've literally rinsed it out and put it back in because I had no other option but u def cant do that with a tampon. Personally I love them. If messiness is the worry...until u get used to it, check it often so u'll never go to long.

PERFECT for the heavy period!

Comments about Instead Softcup:

Every month, I have to use an "ultra" tampon AND a thick pad because I have a condition that makes me practically bleed to death 1 week out of every month. I can't even cough without bleeding through everything. Sorry to gross everyone out!

I just started using the soft cup and it has saved me. I can practically run and jump carefree!

I recommend it! I'm tossing out all the other junk I normally use, plus I will save a lot of money in the long run!

GO SOFT CUPS!

Worth a second try

Comments about Instead Softcup:

After looking for a solution the never-ending nightly leak of pads, I heard about how softcup can help. I did some research on it before purchasing and it didn't seem too difficult, complicated or any worse than tampons which are relatively comfortable.

Insertion wasn't bad at all, it was the removal that was a challenge. In fact, I had to break and come back later because I was starting to freak out instead of remaining relaxed as suggested. After reading other comments about removal, I went back, tried it again and it came out easily. Though I anticipated the mess, i was still a bit shocked when it came out. This was my 1st time using it but I'd give it a second try.

I loved that I didn't have any leakage and it's good for 12 hrs. If I can become more comfortable with removal, I'd totally switch to Softcup. I typically used tampons during the day and pads at night. The only leakage issues I have is in the evening or when I've been out all days without much time to change the stick. Softcup would eliminate all of that.

If you don't mind getting your fingers a bit dirty, I'd suggest reading other reviews and giving it a try.

Pads and Tampons? Never Again!

Comments about Instead Softcup:

I love these things! I had thought about a product like this a few years before they came out on the market, and was so excited to see them out there! The Instead cups are so easy to use, a little harder to remove, and they can make a mess when you take them out. The cups can leak when they get too full, but that happens far less often than with tampons and pads. And you don't have to change them as often, either. No need to use a panty liner "just in case". I can even wear them to bed, with no problems overnight or when I get up the next day. From the first time I used the Instead cups, I haven't used anything else, except a couple of times in an emergency. They're pretty durable, too. I have yet to have one break on me. I don't know why anyone would want to use anything else. They are getting harder for me to find for some reason. The stores that used to carry them don't anymore. :( As long as I don't have to go back to pads and tampons, I'm happy!

They leak!

Comments about Instead Softcup:

As an individual who has been using the Divacup for years, I'm no stranger to alternative feminine hygiene products. When I heard that you can have intimate relations with this product, I thought I'd give it a try.

While it works fine to prevent messes during intimacy, as a standard menstrual product it's not very good. It leaks and it's very messy to empty and dispose of.

Not recommended.

Fabulous.

Comments about Instead Softcup:

At first I was unsure about it. But I got it in correctly the first time (just following directions), I can't really feel anything unless I'm concentrating on it, no leaks, and when I pulled it out I was expecting a mess but there was no mess. This sounds kinda icky, but you know how sometimes you feel like you can smell your period? With this, I felt nothing other than fresh. No string, so no worry about a swimsuit mishaps. I haven't tried sex with it in, but overall this is wonderful. Best period I ever had.

Lifechanging feminine product for women!

Comments about Instead Softcup:

Most amazing feminine product out there for women!! How have I lived without this!? Everything you think of when you hear the word "cup" associated with your period, forget about... I was someone who thought it sounded like the most messy, bothersome product ever thought up.... boy was I wrong! I am 100% positive you will agree with me once you try it when I say it is simply LIFE CHANGING! There is no odor created, unlike regular pads and tampons. No risk of TSS (Toxic Shock Syndrome) , unlike tampons. You can have intercourse, mess free, pain free, worry free-- unlike ANYTHING else out there. If inserted correctly, (which takes a time or two to get the hang of) you will not be able to feel it, will never be uncomfortable, and won't leak. Unlike pads, and tampons you can be active without any worry of leaking, or moving out of place... and in case I haven't said it enough, you will not even realize it's there! Application and removal I thought would be rather messy.... not the case, very clean. And my favorite feature is that while in the comfort of my own home I can rinse them before disposal, completely avoiding the foul odor that can be found with tampons and pads. As for intercourse... I was apprehensive, and for no good reason. You and your partner will feel absolutely nothing from this product. It is wonderful for women whom experience discomfort from tampons, and/or pads... For any type of flow. Can be in for 12 hours! Allows for a great nights sleep, mess free!! I honestly do not know why more women haven't heard about this product, or use it. I will continue singing it's praises and telling women of it's purely amazing effectiveness. I can say, I have NEVER been so satisfied with a product, ever. Thank you Instead!!

My period is now stress free!!

Comments about Instead Softcup:

I love it! I had my period the day of prom which was my worst nightmare because my dress was sheer and the place that was holding prom only had 2 bathrooms to accommodate hundreds of girls. If I just were tampons I would of have to change them several times that night which would have also taken away time to dance and just have a fun night. I decided to give the cup a try and it worked out perfectly. My best friend also had her period so we both wore the cup and it worked great.Do not worry it is not that messy. People are over exaggerating. I really thought it would be spilling everywhere when I took it out but it was nothing like that at all. I seriously recommend buying it. It's perfect for vacations especially at the beach. I LOVE IT!!!

Menstrual period catcher.

from Torrance, CA

Comments about Instead Softcup:

It is very awkward to try and get it out of the vagina. I used it and the blood spilled out. (Gross!) I think this needs to go back to the drawing board and come up with a better way of making this a better way for woman to feel comfortable wearing this.

Lot like contact lenses-sometimes I just want glasses. (A pad.)

Comments about Instead Softcup:

Okay, so I put it in without a problem. It was a little uncomfortable for 3-4 minutes but I didn't even feel it after that! I had it in for 3 hours when I felt a little leak. (I was running down a flight of stairs, but I've NEVER had a tampon leak unless it was overly full, so I was a little annoyed.)
I went down to the bathroom and sat on the toilet to try and pull it out. I couldn't. Then I started to stress because I started imagining having to tell my friends parents that I needed to go to the ER because I got a Soft Cup stuck in my vagina. I decided it WASN'T going to happen and I crouched down, my butt almost touching my heels.

TMI here, but blood started coming out and I had to sit back on the toilet. It had moved back up, so I just got in the shower and started running it. I did the same thing, and had to put my pointer finer upside down to grab it. When I finally got it a little, it was fine. But it took me a good 20 minutes and I was near tears. I saw a review where someone had cut their vagina open with their nails and I was paranoid.

It's a lot like a contact lens (at least for me.) Easy to put in, hard to take out, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Not sure if it's worth it to put in, though. Same as contacts.

I wish there were a way to tell when it was full, or OPTIONAL strings to pull it out. Because my vagina still kinda hurts. Haha.

Overall, probably worth it for special occasions or to go swimming comfortably. Everyday, though? I'm not too sure.

Also, they should make them reusable at least for one cycle. They're definitely durable enough for it. I'm probably going to try that next.