Other Cat Foods:

Iams ProActive Health Hairball & Weight Control Dry Cat Food

Pros

Cons

If you love your cat, you will feed it Iams Dry Cat Food

Iams Indoor Weight and Hairball Care Proactive Health Dry Cat Food should be a staple in your cat's diet.  I own three indoor long hair cats that are larger breeds, proned to becoming overweight.  I have beening feeding them Iams Indoor Weight and Hairball Care Proactive Health Dry Cat Food for the past five years and will never introduce any other type of food in their diet because of the benefits experienced with this product.

My three cats have maintained a healthy weight, regardless of their age.  This particular formula has smaller kibbles, causing the cats to eat slower and become fuller faster.  Their improved digestion reduces the opportunity for hairball incidents, which was quite frequent due to the thick long hair of their breed.  Additionally, by feeding them only dry cat food, their stools are solid - reducing the odor that is associated with looser feline stool.

I purchased the original formula when Indoor Weight and Hairball Care was unavailable from my local store and was surprised by the recurrance of hairball spew that resulted from the change.  I will gladly drive the extra distance in order to provide my cats with Iams Indoor Weight and Hairball Care Proactive Health Dry Cat Food.

Iams may be overrated

I've had my two cats on this food since they were kittens and let me start out by saying that they both love it. I originally bought the food because it was so popular and assumed that it was one of the best. After doing a lot of research about cat foods I've come to realize that there are a lot of ingredients in this food that isn't good for my cats.

Cats are naturally carnivores and need meat, not grains. Grains are a top ingredient in Iams and they act as cheap fillers. Basically like potato chips for humans. Both of my cats are overweight even though this formula is supposed to be for indoor cats and it's sold as weight control food. My three year old cat is long haired and he continues to have hairball problems as well.

Yes, I do continue to buy this food for now because my cats love it, but it's like a kid loving french fries! It's just not good for them. I'm in the market to choose a new cat food, hopefully with little or no grains that will help them lose some weight and get the shine back that they had when they were younger and healthier.

Iams ProActive Health An Effective Product

from Everett, WA, USA

Comments about Iams ProActive Health Hairball & Weight Control Dry Cat Food:

Iams ProActive Health Hairball & Weight Control Dry Cat Food is an excellent choice of cat food products, especially if you have a cat with a sensitive stomach. Our cat is a long-haired Maine Coon mix who hates to be brushed. Iams ProActive Health Hairball and Weight Control dry cat food helps to cut down on hairballs as well as help our lazy girl cut down a little on her weight. She loves the small sized kibble bits and I love that this cat food has no artificial colors or additives.

Quality of Ingredients
Iams dry cat foods have been go-to food for decades for owners of cats with sensitive stomachs. The high-quality ingredients are easy to digest. The ingredients that help your cat pass a hairball are an added plus, especially if your cat, like mine, hates to be groomed. Even cats who enjoy a gentle brushing can have fewer hairballs with this cat food variety.

Flavor Selection
There is only one flavor for this variety of Iams. I did not see a specific flavor listed on the bag, just the benefits of the food.

• Flavor Selection:

A good food for you fuzzy family member

Comments about Iams ProActive Health Hairball & Weight Control Dry Cat Food:

I have used this food for years with my fuzzy family members under the recommendation of my vet. My cats black fur shines and he is very healthy and happy. I highly recommend Iams if you are searching for a quality food for your cat.

Quality of Ingredients
The first ingredient in this cat food is meat unlike many of the other brands of cat food which start with fillers. I know Iams uses quality ingredients not junk. My cat also loves this food and I feel better feeding it to him knowing I am feeding him a good quality diet.

Flavor Selection
My cat is rather picky and he will only eat cat food that has some kind of fish in it. I wish I could get him to eat the chicken or beef flavors, but he just turns up his nose at those flavors and walks away. I do wish Iams had a few more fishy flavors to choose from, because in my area there is really only two flavors he likes to choose from. Of course my cat has never complained and he always gobbles down all of his food.

• Flavor Selection:

Helps keep hairballs at bay and reduce weight

from Rome, PA

Comments about Iams ProActive Health Hairball & Weight Control Dry Cat Food:

I have a cat that grooms more frequently than necessary causing issues with frequent hairballs, she is also overweight. This food helps alleviate the issue with the hairballs as well as assures that she does not get too many calories per day. Also, my other cat in the house really enjoys this food as well. I would recommend this to anyone who has a cat with some extra weight an issue with hairballs.

Quality of Ingredients
Iams is a trusted name for cat food so I know there are quality ingredients used, but I have never actually taken the time to see exactly how natural the ingredients are.

Flavor Selection
There is no real flavor options for this type of food, it comes down to treating the issues of weight as well as hairballs. However, both of my cats seem to enjoy the taste so it does not seem to be an issue for them. It would be nice to have a few options to give them something different every once in a while.

Works wonderfully well.

Comments about Iams ProActive Health Hairball & Weight Control Dry Cat Food:

My cat has specific digestive issues and throws up Meow Mix, Purina and other brands because of his sensitivity. Iams Proactive Health Hairball and weight Control Dry Cat Food is the only cat food he can eat without trouble. All my other cats like it as well and since we have switched to this product all my cats are healthier and not having as many hairballs come up. Another benefit of this cat food is that their feces does not smell as bad in the cat box as it did when they ate other brands. I am absolutely pleased at how well this cat food works for my pets because to me they are like family and I want them to have the best food I can possibly give them.

Quality of Ingredients
My cats love the taste of it and are begging to be fed this cat food. The quality is good because it has fixed digestive issues for my pets.

Flavor Selection
There are a lot of different flavor selections out there which is a nice change from other cat food brands.

• Flavor Selection:

This the dry food my cat eats

Comments about Iams ProActive Health Hairball & Weight Control Dry Cat Food:

We've had our cat for at least 7 years and although he went through different foods, as a grown cat this is the dry food that we feed him currently. Our cat is an indoor cat and although very active, he probably doesn't exercise as much as he probably should. He is not over weight and this food probably attributed to that. Last time at the vet, he said he was a healthy weight for a cat his size. We also use this because he use to have a lot of hair ball issues. Hacking up here and there it was pretty gross but this food has really helped. I definitely saw a difference when I bought him a different brand about 6 months ago because I thought it would be a neat change for him. A few days later he hacks. I immediately switched back and I think the cat food may still be in the storage area because I refuse to feed that to him. He hacks occasionally but nothing like when he is eating other cat food.

Good catfood

Comments about Iams ProActive Health Hairball & Weight Control Dry Cat Food:

We currently have three cats. Two of them are older than ten years. One of them has always been prone to throw up a lot. After taking him to the vet they decided to put him on a special diet food. However it was very expensive so we tried Iams and were very pleased. It appears to be the exact same food as the more expensive brand. My cat can eat this food with minimal vomiting. If I feed him anything else other than Iams he will throw up. Finding this brand of food has been a life saver for us and for our cat. It has also helped my cat keep his stools regular.

Quality of Ingredients
The quality of ingredients must be good because my cat can actually digest it. For some reason he does not digest the cheaper brands of cat food.

Flavor Selection
There are several flavors available in the Iams line of cat food. However the weight control one seems to work best for my cat. He is an indoor cat with a very sensitive stomach. He likes table scraps but will willingly eat this Iams food.

Takes care of hairballs!

Comments about Iams ProActive Health Hairball & Weight Control Dry Cat Food:

We had a huge issue with my cats getting hairballs, and so we scanned the aisles until we saw a product that seemed to help. We tried this product and it was definitely a success; the number of hairballs has decreased and when they do happen, it's not as disgusting, which is a plus if you ask me.

My cats didn't like it

from Arlington, TX

Comments about Iams ProActive Health Hairball & Weight Control Dry Cat Food:

My kitties did not like this product at all. I left it out for them and they went up to it and smelled it but did not touch it. I thought that they were being bratty and thought that I would leave them alone for a bit to see if they would eat it. I came back an hour later and saw that the food was still not eaten. That's when I knew that they didn't like it and I brought out a different brand for them to eat. They will eat the regular Iams for adult cats but for some reason will not eat this one. Maybe it's because there are extra ingredients added into this one for the hairball and weight problems that they just don't like. I don't know if this product works for other people, but I didn't even get a chance to find out for myself because my cats wouldn't eat it. But I will trust their judgement and if they didn't like the smell of it, then that means that this product was just not for them.

• Flavor Selection:

Something my picky cats love to eat.

Comments about Iams ProActive Health Hairball & Weight Control Dry Cat Food:

My cats love this! It gives them lots of energy & is loaded with vitamins & other good nutrients

Quality of Ingredients
Lots of natural grains, vitamins & nutrients

Flavor Selection
My cats are very finicky when it comes to food but they liked this right from the start.
When it is hot out & their appetites aren't very good, they eat this a lot.

The Only Cat Food I Buy

Comments about Iams ProActive Health Hairball & Weight Control Dry Cat Food:

For years my cats ate nothing but Meow Mix. Then one of my cats developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome and we have to find a cat food that he could tolerate without vomiting. I tried a number of pricier foods (both prescription and those available in pet stores) and none of them set well with my older cat. I finally tried Iams Sensitive Digestion Cat Food and my cat could eat that with no problem. Then that food became unavailable for a while and I had to find an alternative. I tried Iam's Proactive Hairball and Weight Control and it worked even better than the Sensitive Digestion type of Iams. We have now used it for years with good results for my nearly ten year old cat. I have two other cats that like it as well and they are all very healthy with sleek coats. The price is more than most grocery store pet foods, but it is much less expensive than other specialty brands found at pet supply stores. It has been a godsend to us for our cat and his continued good health.