Other Living Room Furnitures:
IKEA
IKEA Poang Chair

IKEA Poang Chair

Surprisingly comfortable

Ikea definitely has some great prices, but you have to be carefuly because sometimes quality is compromised.  This is not the case with the IKEA Poang chairs.   I have 2 IKEA Poang chairs in my living room, and though they were relatively inexpensive, they are very comfortable.  Plus, they are super-easy to assemble.

I like them because they have a modern look and also they are not heavy and stuffy like some upholstered chairs are.  The slight bounce to them makes them very comforting like a rocking chair.

More a recliner than a chair.

Yes, this chair is comfortable provided that you lie back and relax. This is not a chair that you will want to read in, watch TV, use a lap top, eat, or even have a conversation. Any of those activities puts a serious strain on your neck, because your back is at a steep angle. What's more, the angle increases significantly over time up to a point from natural bending of the wood. I would imagine that the heavier you are, to more steeply the angle will ultimately be. To give you an idea, imagine lying on the floor on your back. Now, prop yourself up on your elbows as you might if you wanted to watch TV or look at a person while speaking to them. Your neck can take this only so long. Poang!!!!! No kidding. (The strain is not alleviated by having the optional ottoman.) Seriously regret this purchase.

Okay alternative for a rocker

from Bonney Lake, WA

About Me Budget Shopper

Pros

• Durable
  • Good Color Scheme

• Informal

Comments about IKEA Poang Chair:

We purchased this for a kids area to eliminate a glider due to risks with little fingers getting caught. It is an okay alternative. There is a rocking motion you can get but it requires more work than a typical rocker. I do like the solid feel and that there is not risk to curious fingers.

• Primary use:
    • Personal

Nice

from Egypt

About Me High-end Shopper

Pros

• Comfortable

• Decoration
      • Formal
      • Informal

Comments about IKEA Poang Chair:

This chair is too nice,I love it .It is too comfortable .I'd support this for everyone. It is amazing. It is not too big it is suitable for offices ,too.
      I liked it too much.

• Primary use:
      • Personal

Review of the IKEA Poang Chair

Comments about IKEA Poang Chair:

Overall the IKEA Poang chair is very high quality, is stylish, and has held up well with daily use. I would recommend anyone purchase the IKEA Poang chair if they want a good, durable, high quality chair that will hold up and wants to add a modern look to your room. This chair does collect a large amount of dust but it is easy to put together, maintain, and clean. The seat cushion comes off and can be cleaned easily and it very comfortable to sit on and can also be turned over if stained. The seat cover can also be removed and used for exercise or as a ground seat if needed. It can also be easily disassembled if you are about to move. I highly recommend IKEA as they are solid, reputable company and this chair is one of their best products.

Comfortable but not durable and potentially unsafe

Comments about IKEA Poang Chair:

Initially I was very satisfied with the chair but over the past two years I have had two bolts fail at different times. The first to fail was the connection between the arm rest and back rest. This startled me but luckily I was unharmed. The second failure was just last night. This time it was one of the bolts that supported the seat at the front of the chair. Luckily I was just in the process of sitting down otherwise I'm certain it could have been more serious than it was. I weigh 200 pounds so I'm not a huge person and I don't abuse the chair. After searching the internet tonight I discovered that this not an uncommon occurrence which is disappointing since Ikea brags about how it has extensively stress tested these chairs. I consider myself to be lucky that I haven't been hurt during either of the failures but others may not be so lucky.

Comfortable, but feels flimsy.

Comments about IKEA Poang Chair:

This chair is incredibly comfy, and I enjoy it's springiness. It has a lot of lumbar support, and isn't too bad to look at. However, it feels like it could break at any moment. I know it won't, but this tends to bother me, especially if a heavier person were to sit down. It's a very good product, but it just doesn't feel sturdy enough for me.

Ikea Poang Chair

Comments about IKEA Poang Chair:

I purchased the Poang Chair from Ikea a few years ago and it is still going strong. I was intrigued by the unusual shape of the chair and initially couldn't understand how it didn't snap when I sat in it. I guess it's down to the innovative design of the chair legs, either way, it is a super comfy chair which slightly bounces when you sit in it. It has an attached, slim, head cushion which you can either use or flip over the back of the chair if you don't wish to use it. The cover of the chair is removeable for cleaning, however I made the mistake of washing the cover in the washing machine and after that, the cover never looked the same. It became permanently creased and slightly tacky looking. If I could slightly tweek the design of the chair at all I would make the arms of the chair a little more comfy. They are obviously hard on the elbow (and quite slim) but overall, this is one of the most comforable, and might I say inexpensive chairs I have ever sat in.

Great Comfort in Simple Design

Comments about IKEA Poang Chair:

I love the Poang Chair! It takes up very little space, looks incredible as a modern piece of furniture, and it insanely comfortable for the simple design. Compared to huge recliners and other furnishings, the Poang can't be beat for size and comfort. My wife and I have rocked our children to sleep in the Poang, though at times the wood arms can be a bit hard. We love our Poang and will certainly always have one in our family's living room space.

Former Ikea Fan

from Dayton, OH

Comments about IKEA Poang Chair:

Loved the Poang chair until the bolt holding the arm to the back broke and could not be removed. Now the chair is worthless. I have had it for two years and yes it comes with a ten year warranty but Ikea requires the original receipt. I guess I understand that the chair could have been purchased used; however, their records indicate my purchase. But still, no receipt, no warranty. Do others keep receipts for ten years?

Let me also say the chair has not been abused. My husband and I are empty nesters, no grandkids to bounce on the chair. It was only used by he and I and adult friends, none of which are over the chair weight limit. I tried to buy just the frame but my Ikea store sells only the whole chair and I already have two sets of cushions. I like to change them out periodically.

Oh well.......

More a recliner than a chair.

from San Jose, CA

Comments about IKEA Poang Chair:

My husband took over my chair!

from Albany, OR

Comments about IKEA Poang Chair:

I have drooled after the Poang chair for several years, and we decided to go ahead and purchase ours about 9 months ago. We bought the leather covers, and the dark wood frame...and somehow my chair got taken over by my husband! We both love it, the kids treat it like a trampoline whenever I'm not looking, but it looks and feels as good as the day we bought it. LOVE this chair.