3.6
IKEA Ektorp Living Room Furniture

IKEA Ektorp Living Room Furniture

3.6

Classic styling, but....

The Ektorp sofa styling is classic, and the changeable covers were a stroke of genius. I purchased 4 covers and I do a changeover with each change of season. I NEVER worry about the three grandchildren having accidents; no worry = no nagging.

The seat and back cushions however, were all woefully under-stuffed. I've owned my Ektorp for nearly 4 years and it's holding-up just as advertised. But the fact that it had constantly to be plumped-up to look like anything, has always bothered me. One person sits, the sofa needs fluffed. Not good enough.

Yesterday I brought two old fiber-filled pillows and an old feather duvet down from the attic, and I added the fiberfill to each back cushion, and feathers to each seat cushion. For extra measure, I had hubby cut a good length of paneling to place across the sofa seat, underneath the cover.

Voila. Three hours later I have the brand new sofa of my dreams. Firm, plumped. Very comfortable, and very, very attractive. Should've done it years ago, because Ikea just won't, which likely accounts for the price.

It took longer to get it home than I got use out of it.

I really wanted to like this chair. It looks great, it's comfortable, it fit perfectly in the space I had in mind for it... but the quality just isn't there. I went to move the chair back a foot, heard a crack, and it turns out that the back part of the frame between the two legs snapped straight through. I've probably logged ten minutes of sitting time in this chair, I am not an unusually heavy person, I haven't manhandled it... and it's broken. I am deeply disappointed.

Excellent loveseat and chair

from Connecticut

About Me Midrange Shopper

Pros

• Comfortable
  • Durable
  • Good Color Scheme
  • Solid Construction

Cons

• Everyday

Comments about IKEA Ektorp Living Room Furniture:

I was quite skeptical about purchasing the Ektorp loveseat and Jennylund chair for our kitchen area, but my husband was adamant and the price was good. The Jennylund is used every day and is the primary chair my husband and son (6 yrs old & perched atop the arms) sit in together to discuss their weekend plans. The loveseat gets equal use. Five (5) years later, not only is the integrity of the construction still tight and solid, but the cushions do not so much as show a dent. The couch and chair were like new underneath. I went recently to Ikea to replace the slipcovers and ended up buying the Ektorp chair (couldn't get the same pattern in Jennylund as Ektorp). Have moved the Jennylund to our bedroom for reading corner and moved the bigger Ektorp to it's place in kitchen. The Ektorp chair is well cushioned, super comfortable, heavy, and solid. I am truly impressed with this particular set of couches and chairs. I never "plump" this couch or chair - they simply don't need it - they always look ready to go. Not sure that spending twice as much for PB would have made me any happier than I am with this set as is.

• Primary use:
    • Personal

Poor Craftsmanship- 90 warranty

Comments about IKEA Ektorp Living Room Furniture:

I ordered 2 Ektorp Jennylund armchairs and a sofa. in less than 18 months, one armchair is useless- the frame split and the leg buckled. I contacted IKEA only to find that the 10 year warranty does not apply to this particular armchair- it has a 90 day warranty. Apparently, they know it is crap. I have tried twice to fix the piece, but it won't hold because the frame is particle board. I would have given it a 1, but so far the other 2 pieces are okay.

Looks good but not comfortable to sit on.

Comments about IKEA Ektorp Living Room Furniture:

I bought an ektorpe sofa in October 2009, and it still looks okay, but the zip on the one back cushion have burst, feathers come out of the cushions, and it sags in the middle. It is in our playroom and only sat on by 2 small children. I have never been able to sit on it as it is too hard and gives me a bad back.

If you just want a sofa to look good, and not to sit on! Then this is a good buy:)

Ektorp corner sofa, an affordable alternative

Comments about IKEA Ektorp Living Room Furniture:

We have had this sofa for seven years, and have two young kids. This couch has been a great alternative to the more expensive crate and barrel or PB versions. We are now on our third slipcover. The idemo beige works for us, it's machine washable. The only problem we've had is in the structure of the couch. We have lots of people over often. About two years ago while about eight people were sitting on the couch, it actually broke and fell to the ground. I started shopping for new couches, but my husband took some boards and reinforced the base and now two years later its still kicking it and looks like the day we got it. The reason I gave it a good review even considering it fell apart on us is because I would assume it gets MUCH more use than the average sofa (we are youth group leaders). I'd say we made the right choice for us, I'd buy it all over again. Nobody would know by looking at it that it's not high end. The reinforcement from underneath was worth the lower price tag to us.

pretty sturdy and easy assembly

Comments about IKEA Ektorp Living Room Furniture:

assembly was really easy, although it took me most of the afternoon to put together the loveseat and chair and ottoman. More difficult was getting rid of the packing material from a third floor walk up.

Classic styling, but....

from Taylor, MI

Comments about IKEA Ektorp Living Room Furniture:

It took longer to get it home than I got use out of it.

from Kyle, TX

Comments about IKEA Ektorp Living Room Furniture:

Ektorp Sofa, solid value among more expensive options

from Philadelphia, PA

Comments about IKEA Ektorp Living Room Furniture:

The Ikea Ektorp sofa has been a great center piece in our living room for about 2 years now. In that time I haven't had any problems with sagging, creaking or anything breaking. The Ektorp line of living room furniture at Ikea basically works by selling the frame/cushions separate from their covers. I really like this setup because it allows me to purchase multiple coverings for my sofa and essentially redecorate and change the look of the room simply by swapping the covers. I've purchased three so far and like to keep them in rotation just to keep things interesting. I also like the idea that, should Ikea discontinue the Ektorp line and the covers become unavailable, that I will already have spare covers if something should happen to one of them. I'd recommend this sofa to anyone who is looking for a good product at a great price.

Love it

from Veradale, WA

Comments about IKEA Ektorp Living Room Furniture:

This is the best couch we have ever owned and all of our other couches cost at least twice what this one does. My husband wasn't to sold on getting the ektorp but i overruled him and now he wants the love seat and a couple of ottomans. It is a surprisingly comfortable couch and holds up extremely well to the abuse that a two year old, four year old and six year old can dish out, including standing on the arms. The slip cover can easily be changed and washed in your machine and hung to dry. Amazing types of stain easily come out of these covers and when you want to change the colors of your living room, buy new slip covers and keep the furniture. The fabric of the covers is 100 percent cotton and is very very thick, it would take a lifetime to wear through this material, even if you were trying. The seat cushions do slide out, I'd love it if they could secure them to the couch with clips you could use, However, this largely happens with the squirmy kids.

Ikea Ektorp Sofa w/ White Cover Still Looking Good After 2 Years

from Lincolnshire, IL

Comments about IKEA Ektorp Living Room Furniture:

I bought the Ektorp Sofa with the white cover 2 years ago, and additionally I bought one extra sofa cover, also in white. I added a little extra stuffing into the seat cushions (easy to do) to make them more plump (personal preference), but other than that, I am amazed at how this sofa and the 2 covers have endured through the heavy use they have received...dog (who "fluffs" it a lot), constant daily use, catnaps, several moves about the room, etc! The frame is strong & sturdy. The covers are thick twill or canvas type fabric, very sturdy and wash well. I line dry them, and love the new, fresh outdoor scent when they come off the line! Sometimes I iron them, or use fresh off the line for that shabby, lived-in look. Instructions say "no bleach" but I got red marker on one cover, bleached just that area, and it all came out, with no ill effect. A great value for a very modest price for the budget-conscious!