Other Sewing Machines:
Husqvarna Viking
Designer I USB
Husqvarna Viking Computerized Embroidery & Sewing Machine

Husqvarna Viking Computerized Embroidery & Sewing Machine

Husqvarna Viking Designer One Sewing Machine is great.

I use my Husqvarna Viking Designer One sewing machine for everything.  Everyday if I can - pesky work gets in the way.  Although I would like to upgrade to the newer models, it is not financially possible right now.  In the meantime, I am not limited in any way by using this wonderful, easy to use machine.  I love to sew clothes, home furnishings and especially quilts.  The embroidery features let me easily add embellishments to any garment, quilt or sewing project.  the embroidery module of the sewing machine is also very easy to use.  There are more stitches than I ever thought I would need on this sewing machine.  the utility stitches make it easy to make piping easily, put in zippers, sew on a button and make many different button holes.  the only thing that I could say that is not perfect is that it had to be brought back to the dealer on three occasions to have new electronics boards replaced.  After that it worked great again.  I did have it upgraded so I now use a memory stick instead of a questionably reliable floppy disk.

They had very good salesmen

TIt is the biggest disappointment! Many times I've wante to trow it in the road and drive over it. Didn't only because it would damage my car! Everyrtime I turn around something else is wrong with it, The touch pad went out, tension is always screwing up, Threads break, have to use a walking foot to be able to sew at all, foot attachment broke, numberous things, with every part, it's in the shop about every 3 months, and at at least a 100. a pop, it's terrible. Now I'm trying to decide to cut my loses and just get some thing else. I had had my old machine for over 30 years, I sew a lot, it was in the shop maybe 4 times. I would NEVER recommend this machine!

Dependable Easy to Use Machine.

Comments about Husqvarna Viking Computerized Embroidery & Sewing Machine:

This is an awesome sewing machine. HV makes machines that last. I have had mine since 2004. Just last week I had it in for repair. The "head" needed to be replaced and it was still under warranty! I am an avid sewer and quilter so my machine gets a workout. There are so many features on this machine that have me totally spoiled that when I use someone else's machine I feel lost with out them.

Stitch Performance
There are so many stitches available on this machine. Plus the size and width of stitches makes it even that much greater. I machine applique on my quilts alot and the stitches are consistently even, I never have a problem with the tension. There is even a place for you to program your favor stitches.

With a few basic lessons you will uncover so much more than just basic sewing. This is an embroidery machine as well. There are a million different attachments, alot of which comes with your machine that make this machine an absolute treasure.

Fabric Handling
from leather, to blue jeans, to 100% cotton, to silk, plastic, and lace, this machine can do anything. It amazes me every time.

Versatility
It goes from sewing the canvas on my husband's boat to sewing a lace christening bonnet for my new niece. Then just switch over to the embroidery.

My only two complaints are these. I wish it had a wider throat. As I said I quilt alot so getting something bigger than a twin size quilt in there is hard. The other design flaw is the top thread cover. They use plastic to cover the metal arms. Over time the plastic just cracks and then the cover is no good. This is not covered under warranty. It also helps keep the machine clean.

Like I said earlier I've had it since 2004 and it is a work horse. I have put thousands of sewing hours on this machine and with an annual cleaning from my authorized Viking dealer it still runs like it did since I first purchased it.

• Stitch Performance:
  • Fabric Handling:
  • Versatility:

I have a Viking Designer One and a Viking Diamond.

from Castaic, CA

Comments about Husqvarna Viking Computerized Embroidery & Sewing Machine:

I am a wildlife artist--working in many mediums which is why I purchased my Designer one and later the Designer Diamond. I was very excited about the prospect of transferring designs and drawings I have created into my computer and then into my sewing machine to sew out.

My little Designer one has always been very reliable although I also thread my needle by hand, (these machines come with needle threader and thread cutter.). It is still a very good machine. It is a smaller machine than the S.E. or the Diamond but seems not as delicate as the other two machines. I have never brought it in for any kind of repairs.

I had a SE for a while as well but traded it in on the Diamond because I was having some problems with it (the bobbin winder would wind below the bobbin making a mess).. I like the convenience of the  memory stick and/or direct line from computer to the Diamond for planning out designs and transferring them to my machine to sew out. The Designer One uses a floppy disk which works great but if you upgrade your computer you may have to buy an attachment with a floppy disk drive to transfer those designs. All the machines come with many beautiful embroidery designs and many more available to purchase. The new software 4D makes it much easier if you choose to make your own designs. Most Viking stores offer free classes for machines and software.

My Diamond, I am having problems with the thread cutter. I keep bringing it back in and still have the same problem. These are expensive machines, I'm not sure if this is a machine or technician problem...it might just need a little adjustment.

Totally fun for hobbying.

from Tuscaloosa, AL

Comments about Husqvarna Viking Computerized Embroidery & Sewing Machine:

This machine performs very well.  The set and let go usability is really nice.  I have one negative is that the needle threader needs constant resetting.  I just quit trying and thread it myself.  I hope my eyes will always be good for that.

Its not too heavy and opposed to another embroider machine I have the embroider arm comes in its own carry case.

They had very good salesmen

from Xenia, OH

Comments about Husqvarna Viking Computerized Embroidery & Sewing Machine:

The Designer One does everything well. Unlimited creativity!

from Salem, NH

Comments about Husqvarna Viking Computerized Embroidery & Sewing Machine:

I bought this machine after viewing the promo CD. Truely the best investment I've made for my craft room. I have had a lot of fun and success creating everything from personalized tees to embroidered quilts. I only wish I kept my other machine so while this one is doing embroidery I can be busy assembling. Oh well, I guess I need to buy a quilting machine now!

Gives great results on all my embroideries

from Raleigh, NC

Comments about Husqvarna Viking Computerized Embroidery & Sewing Machine:

I purchased my Husqvarna Viking Designer I in 2006, and I've only had it serviced once, and that was for a general tuneup.  It runs like a champ, and I use it constantly, moreso around the holidays.  It has features that are incredible.  I love the fact that I can manipulate the design once its up on the screen.  It has way too many features for me to mention here, but if you can't afford one of the newer models, you can sometimes grab a used Designer I at a local Sewing Machine Shop.

My Viking Designer One - Love it! Love it! LOVE IT!!

from Saint Johns, FL

Comments about Husqvarna Viking Computerized Embroidery & Sewing Machine:

I've had my Designer One for almost a year now.  It has joined my vintage Singer Featherweight, circa 1970s Singer, and a Janome serger in my workroom.  The Designer is incredibly versatile and I am always learning something new about it.  The only problem I ever had was using "value priced" pre-wound bobbins recommended by a friend.  DON'T DO IT!  Use the ones recommended by your Viking dealer.  Absolutely worth the extra money.  Or, if you do a lot of projects that require matching thread on the bobbin, just wind your own.  Lots of machine embroidery forums on the net.  I suggest you join one or two -- lots to learn and a great place to ask questions -- general ones or specifically about your Designer.  Happy Stitching!

So quiet and sturdy

from Mountain Home A F B, ID

Comments about Husqvarna Viking Computerized Embroidery & Sewing Machine:

I had a Brother sewing machine for 15 years that I mostly used for just fun projects-crafts, stuffed animals, simple clothing. I got interested in quilting at age 27 when my grandmother took a quilting class at a local sewing shop and fell in love with it. They had used Husqvarna sewing machines in there that were trade ins for a great deal and we each got one. I had no idea how spoiled I would be after that! No more jerky, moving around sewing machines! It's so quiet and just hums! Such great features-the bobbin winding is easy, the self threader, the automatic lift foot, the embroidery function is amazing!! I haven't even discovered half of what this machine does! I love the different stitches on the machine and the versatility of all of them and the buttonholes. There are so many additional feet you can purchase for it making quilting easy and fun. My favorite has been the ruffler foot and the free motion quilting foot.

Joy to use and provides beautiful results every time.

from Dalzell, SC

Comments about Husqvarna Viking Computerized Embroidery & Sewing Machine:

I now own my third Viking machine (Designer SE) and have upgraded each time.  After using various machines over my lengthy sewing career, this is the most remarkable machine I have ever sewed on.  Friends who get to use it are amazed at what a joy it is to use and several have purchased their own Viking machine.  If the house caught on fire, my machine would be one of the main things I would rescue, since it is my "baby".  The very best thing about this machine is that it is MINE.  I am such a lucky girl.

Husqvarna Viking 1 is AWESOME

from Shalimar, FL

Comments about Husqvarna Viking Computerized Embroidery & Sewing Machine:

I love this machine.  It is so well designed, that it is a pleasure to use. I would never want another machine. No other machine can compare. There is no negative that I can think of beyond the cost of the machine. The cost would eventually pay for itself if you sew a lot. It is a good machine to use for a home business. The embroidery capabilities are awesome. I can't say enough good about this machine!