2.6

2.6

Pros

Cons

• Available Plans:

Humana health insurance is a comprehensive policy

Humana health insurance is a pretty good insurance company.  We've had humana for five years now.  My husband is eligible for it through his job.  We pay a good bit of the premium for the four of us.  But being on a budget we don't have a choice.  Humana offers comprehensive medical benefits with few deductibles.  Deductibles are only for out of network providers,  emergency rooms,  inpatient and out patients visits,  and ultrasounds,  and MRI's.  Humana provides co pays for routine doctor visits,  and specialists.  There are no referrals to go to another doctor.  They offer a wide variety of doctors and hospitals to choose from.  The extra wellness benefits are also nice.  They pay for mammograms,  immunizations,  and well baby and child care visits.  The drug benefits are also very helpful.  You will pay very little for most generic drugs,  with new,  name brand drugs,  without a generic capped at $50.00.   There are also vision benefits.  Mainly for a yearly checkup,  they don't cover glasses.  The only down side is they don't have dental coverage.

do not BUY humana insurance

I have PPO humana insurance. i have a very rare agressive cancer where few dr's have ever treated it. I am with a dr & oncology clinic where 80% of the oncologists in this state are affiliated. on Sat 12/19/09 I receive a letter from humana saying they will not pay for anymore treatment from this clinic/dr & i am in the middle of treatment. Send in info & they will see if they will extend full benefits & humana needs 30 days to decide yet I was given less then 8 working days notice. they are not paying bills, they have tried to charge me again for deductables that have been met, humana has ok'd medical services then not paid the bills, they have turned down bills from in network hospitals, dr's, &  clinics. strangest part is if I was on an HMO cheaper plan, it would be paid for & it would be paid for if I lived in a different city in this state. DO NOT BUY HUMANA INSURANCE YOU WILL DIE BEFORE THEY PAY FOR MEDICAL TREATMENT YOU NEED.

Worst Insurance Ever!

from Fort Collins, CO

Comments about Humana Inc.:

I have been with my current physician for over 6 years and have been very happy with his care. His network of offices changed and started accepting only Humana Insurance, so I switched. What a huge mistake. Unfortunately, I do have several different health problems and take quite a few medications. Humana often refuses to pay for the medication my doctor prescribes even though the CDC says it is safe for me to take. I have never had this problem with any other insurance company. I have been told this is a common complaint about Humana from people who have several health problems. So, unless you are sure you will stay pretty healthy, go with a different company.

Never had a problem

from Westchester, IL

Comments about Humana Inc.:

I had Humana Insurance for several years through work and I never had a problem with it. During this time period I never had a major health scare so most of my Humana Health Insurance usage was centered around routine visits. Each trip to my primary physician would cost me a $10 co-pay. If I needed blood work, x-rays, and or a MRI it was all covered under my plan. I once dislocated my shoulder and was sent to a specialist. I was charged $25 co-pay for each therapy session, but I was later reimbursed by my job. On another occasion I needed to see a specialist for acne and I was charged $25 co-pay each visit, but sadly there wasn't any reimbursement for my visits. The only down side I experienced with my plan was prescription cost. I was paying $50 every 6 weeks for acne medication initially. This went on for about 6 months until me and my dermatologist found the right combination for my skin. I ended up only paying $30 every other month for my acne regiment. Sadly, my company switched insurance providers and I had to leave Humana.

A Good Health Insurance Company

from St. Louis, MO

Comments about Humana Inc.:

My experience is with their Medicare Advantage programs and Part D programs. They have enough options that you can find a plan that will work for your circumstances. For me the PFFS (private fee for service) plan worked best. But there are enough plans to choose from that you are certain to find one that works for you. Their customer service is great. They don't play games with claims. They pay them as they should. I've had them for 3 or 4 years and am pleased with them.

Customer Service
Their customer service is quite good. The sales staff has no idea what they are doing but customer service is good.

Available Plans
As stated earlier there are enough choices in plans that you are sure to find one that will work for you.

• Available Plans:

The price is right and that's pretty much it.

from Tampa, FL

Comments about Humana Inc.:

I chose Humana because they had the best price tiers available when I was shopping the Marketplace. My employer canceled our FSA plans and I needed to get compliant with the new law. I probably should have gone with a PPO instead of the HMO.

Customer Service
Phone reps are brusque and are only thinly able to hide the fact that they would just as soon not have to deal with you. I would just as soon not have to deal with them either, but since the website is a pain to navigate sometimes it's unavoidable. There are a lot of things you can get done on the website, but chat or email assistance are not among them.

Available Plans
They had the most affordable plans on the Marketplace. Now I know why. I can't entirely blame them for it, since I knew going in that HMOs are inferior to PPOs. But I wasn't expecting them to pre-assign me a primary care physician, nor was I expecting that it would be so difficult to change it later.

• Available Plans:

decent, not the worst, not the best

Comments about Humana Inc.:

I had Humana insurance for a few years in my late childhood and early adulthood. My primary complaints of them are similar to my usual complaints of insurance providers, so some of these problems are common. With Humana, sometimes I had to drive quite a way to see a specialist that was covered. Once I had to drive almost two hours for a non-invasive procedure, with no compensation from Humana for travel costs. When I went to the hospital for an emergency, I had to be careful later on because Humana would refuse to pay for doctors that I saw if they were not in my network, even though they are supposed to cover all emergency services after the deductible and, if relevant, with a co-pay. Generally insurance companies do not accommodate people with lasting or difficult to manage illness and this company is no exception. They did not have the worst customer service, but it was still stressful to call them.

• Available Plans:

A disappointment all around.

Comments about Humana Inc.:

My husband had individual health insurance (and now has employer health insurance) through Humana, and my family has dental insurance through Humana. Sometimes, I think we would be better off without any insurance at all. Our experience with Humana products is that they are slow to pay and will use any excuse imaginable to deny a claim. Humana is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to insurance. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Customer Service
Their customer service is the worst. Usually, you have to call because a claim hasn't been paid (this can take months with them) and then you will be transferred through 2-3 people and put on hold for an unnecessarily long time before you can get someone to speak with you. They'll usually blame it on a problem with the paperwork. Also, due to their ridiculously low annual coverage limits for dental, you only have to one thing done and you've met it for the entire year.

Deductible Sucks!

Comments about Humana Inc.:

I have had Humana health insurance ever since I married my husband. We get health insurance through his work. My husband used to pay nothing for Humana the first 4 years we were married, because his employer used to pay all of it. But since the economy started to go down and insurance cost went up, due to the affordable healthcare, we had to start paying for some. We started out paying $50 a week, but now pay $72 a week starting this year and next year they are saying it might go up more. The current plan we have is okay, but not the best. My husband hurt his back a month ago and he had to pay all for the epidural shot ($1500) he had to get and the MRI scan he had to get ($450), all because our individual deductible is $3000. Apparently how Humana insurance works is that before they will pay a dime on your medical bills you would have to meet your deductible. That's not the only problem we have had with Humana. Some test they refuse to cover, even though your doctor could say they want you to take it. For instance, my husband has high blood pressure and his doctor told him if he had sleep apnea that it could make your blood pressure high than it is suppose to. They wanted him to go to a sleep clinic, but Humana said he don't need it and they will not pay for the tests. I was shocked! Does the insurance companies think they are smarter than the doctors now? Unbelievable!

Ugh.........

Comments about Humana Inc.:

I am not happy with this company. I have separate health insurance than my husband. I have SelectHealth and my husband used to be insured by Humana. My husband has a pre-existing condition, GERD. He has to have a biopsy every year for his condition to make sure it doesn't get cancerous. Biopsies cost $1700 dollars or so every time. We asked humana if they would cover it and they said yes. So we got the biopsy done and when we got the bill in the mail, we were expected to pay every last penny. THOSE LIARS! They covered nothing, nada, zilch! Not one stinkin' penny! So we left them and my husband is still not medically insured because it's hard to get insurance when you have a pre-existing condition. Hate Humana right now! We were even paying extra money because of his condition. They screwed us.

Good Insurance

from Corpus Christi, TX

Comments about Humana Inc.:

My husband was diagnosed with brain cancer and had to have surgery and chemotherapy. We have Humana medical insurance. Humana did a wonderful job making sure that all of his questions were answered by assigning and personal nurse to him. This nurse called him every few weeks to see if he had any questions about his treatment or his insurance benefits. This representative was very nice and often just chatted with my husband about his day. This representative was comforting to him and we both appreciated that. She even called when she noticed he was not getting chemotherapy drugs anymore to see how he was doing. I think the cancer nurses at Humana are wonderful people. It was a very hard year for our family and it was nice to know that someone in the big corporation known as Humana took the time to check on us and offer any assistance they could. I would recommend Humana medical insurance.

• Available Plans:

Can't live with it, can't live without it.

Comments about Humana Inc.:

This is the insurance my employer provides. It's better than some and probably not as good as others but I'm grateful for it.

Customer Service
I don't use customer service often because the whole benefits, claims, copay, allowable amounts, deductables and EOB's just make me want to hide under a rock. Insurance isn't what it used to be but it's called insurance for a reason.

Available Plans
There are many options available so we have what we think is best for our family.