3.9
Hulu
Hulu Plus

Hulu Plus

3.9

Like Netflix, but with commercials...but it's OK! (REALLY)

Hulu has been a channel in my Roku streamer for a year now, and it has been a good experience. The reasons are several, but it is not a perfect service. Just to give you an idea on what to expect, check this out:

Unique, original for-Hulu series:

There are superb shows made by Hulu and for Hulu that could rival any prime-time ABC series. Hemsworth Grove, a vampire/werewolf type Hulu Series, for example, is worth spending the extra 7.99 per month fee, which is the same as Netflix. There are several others, though: Whites, Rev., and The Booth at the End are crazy cool series.
Whites, which is a BBC-type Brit show about chefs, features actors from iTV and other British acting companies who trend in shows such as Peep Show. Rev. is about a priest who cannot find his niche and it is hilarious. The Booth at the End is about a man who can control people's minds from...where else? but his booth at the end of a diner (think Waffle House).

Clips

Another great Hulu feature is that it filters popular TV shows, TV popular clips, and specific episodes that are either trending or buzzing on YouTube. Instead of having to look up the clips, Hulu graciously brings them to the menu screen. For example, I am a fanatic of The Jon Stewart Show and of The Colbert Report. When I do not have time to watch the show I wait until Hulu loads up the highlights. It does not disappoint--the popular clips ARE the popular clips.

Fresher lists

Hulu and Netflix may receive their "material" at the same time, but I find that Hulu has much more to offer than Netflix as far as movies, documentaries, originals, TV shows, and trending stuff.

The commercial issue...

Yes, there are exactly TWO commercials in between every break that Hulu takes in programming. You may be watching a movie on Hulu, and when it is break time, you will find one commercial regarding Hulu programming, and then another sponsor commercial. You cannot FF them. That is a potential drawback for potential Hulu customers. Yet, when you add the sum of all things, it all comes down to who is the customer: do I want to wait, or not?

In all--
Hulu, for 8 bucks a month average, is a good deal. I mean, you get TV shows, original series, movies, previews, and the latest of the latest....and the same price of a competitor who has none of the above, and for the same price. I say #WIN.

Good content experience marred by bugs in the system

Hulu Plus should be a bargain compared to other streaming options, with its fantastic selection of TV shows both current and classic, and a not inconsiderable library of movies both popular and indie. However, this is the service I have been most prone to experiencing bugs from. For example they once had a movie called "Help," that, when you clicked on it to watch it took you to their Help page instead of the movie. I reported it to tech support and the first response I got back it was clear the guy though I was joking. You have to be persistent to get them to take tech issues seriously and that's a problem. Another issue I experienced had to do with my payment method. The form would not allow me to update my credit card information. I reported it to tech (again) and they very generously allowed me a free month while trying to work through the problem, which is the only reason I am not giving this a Poor grade. However, instead of being able to update my credit card information at the end of that month they proceeded to try the charge the previous card which I had already made them aware was expired. Irritating! Then there's the issue of censorship in the reviews. That should be the most fun and interactive part of a site like this, but not if the moderators won't let you make jokes about the bad movies. If you are trying to cut the cord you pretty much need Hulu in your lineup, but I would recommend you start with the free version and then decide if you want to pay later for more content.

Dislike.

from Kansas

Comments about Hulu Plus:

Hulu plus isn't worth the money. It's cheap but Netflix is a much better option for the exact same price. Hulu plus does not have much of a variety to chose from. You can only watch certain things of certain devices, which is annoying.

The selection of television shows and movies on Hulu Plus is very limited. Some shows you can go back and watch previous seasons. But they have a lot of obscure television shows on there that I'm pretty sure have an extremely limited audience base. Their movie selected is also just full of obscure foreign movies or cheaply made ones. Netflix is 100 times better than Hulu Plus for the exact same price.

Another problem with Hulu Plus is the fact that you can only watch certain things on certain devices. It's annoying being able to only watch a particular show on your computer and not on your phone or tablet. Oh, and they have commercials on Hulu Plus which is annoying.

I only kept my Hulu Plus subscription for a few months. There was no point in it when I can pretty much watch all the same stuff on their normal hulu without paying any money or just use Netflix.

Don't waste your money on Hulu Plus.

Replaced cable at our house!

from Florida

Comments about Hulu Plus:

I signed up for Hulu Plus with a free trial and ended up keeping it and canceling our cable service.

I love that it has all the recent TV shows that I watch and they are available the next day. Not only does HuluPlus offer the most recent television shows but they also have several other shows that are off the air.

The availability of current television shows that they offer is great, there are a good selection of a variety of shows. From The Chew to The Neighbors and just about everything in between. Some shows show up the same day as they air but the majority show up nthe next day, so you're not seeing them when America is seeing them on cable but a day later is a small price to pay for the amount of money that you will save.

I haven't really ever had any major technology issues be with HuluPlus and I use it on the Xbox, my android tablet and the computer. They also have an amazing tech support and customer service team,

Hulu plus is great!

Comments about Hulu Plus:

I am really happy with using Hulu Plus. I am a long time Hulu lover, but shows are now limited on regular Hulu, so it was time to try Hulu Plus. I love that you can watch so many different shows on Hulu plus. Tons of different seasons and shows old and new. I recently discovered that Hulu Plus has some original shows, and honestly lately I have been addicted to watching them! It is very easy to navigate the website to find whatever you are looking for, and even if it isn't on Hulu Plus it does sometimes tell you where you can watch a particular show which is a nice feature. The price is very affordable for the large variety of shows you can watch. I, myself, do not have access to very many television channels because I just have an antenna on my TV so Hulu makes it possible to watch all of my favorite shows. I am very satisfied overall with the quality of content and the variety of content. Hulu Plus is a great thing to have.

A great alternative to cable

Comments about Hulu Plus:

I love Hulu plus and think it is an incredible value. We don't have cable or Netflix so most of what I watch is what I watch on Hulu. They don't have the best selection for movies but occasionally have a decent one. The selection for television shows is pretty good and even includes newer shows like Arrow, Heart of Dixie, and Nashville (all of which I love). I also love all the different channels that they offer (The CW, Food Network, ABC Family, DIY Network, etc). I'm a big fan of how the queue works and that when I log in how my shows are all there ready and waiting to be watched. I use to use the basic Hulu on my desktop computer but decided to upgrade my account when we got an Apple TV. I love the ease in which we can stream shows right to our TV. I'm not sure if its better or worse than Netflix would be, but I do really enjoy it and believe that I will keep using it in the foreseeable future. Two thumbs up.

What's all the hype? Very poor selection.

Comments about Hulu Plus:

I can't find anything positive to say about about Hulu Plus. I did the free 1 week trial and then cancelled it, because I was so disappointed. I couldn't find any TV shows or movies that I wanted. Searching on Hulu Plus is difficult, too. The results aren't always what I expected or relevant. Sometimes it even sent me to other websites and the links didn't always work. It just was all very frustrating.

Not as good as Netflix

Comments about Hulu Plus:

I really like this and I want to love it but I am not there yet. My husband and I don't have cable so we pay for this service to be able to see TV shows. We found this to be much cheaper than having regular cable. A great thing about this service is that it has current television shows and episodes on there. You can watch an episode the night after it airs. It carries all of my favorite shows and I watch them the next day. That is the part that I love. The part I struggle with is how often it freezes. I can rarely make it through an episode without it freezing. Then I have to close it out, shut down my TV, and restart it back up. I would think it is my TV but it freezes on my computer as well. That is the part that keeps me from loving it. If they could fix this glitch, I would give it a 10. I do recommend their service because you can see shows a lot cheaper this way. However, be prepared for the amount of freezing you will have to deal with.

Love it

Comments about Hulu Plus:

I love having Hulu Plus. It's not that expensive and I can watch the shows that I love the day after they come on instead of having to wait two or more weeks for them to be somewhere else. That and when I'm laying down I don't have to go back and click on the next episode. It automatically comes on.

Stick to the free version

from Marlton, NJ

Comments about Hulu Plus:

Warning-if you already subscribe to cable television, much of the content that is available on Hulu Plus is probably already available to you online for free. I have Comcast cable and most of the content is available online at no additional cost.

Hulu Plus is the premium part of Hulu, a website that allows you to view most TV shows that are currently on TV and some movies. Hulu is FREE to watch with some limitations.

The differences between Hulu and Hulu Plus-If you're just a Hulu member, you often can't watch the latest episode of a TV show until at least a week has passed and, dependng on the show, you can only watch a certain number of episodes. With Hulu Plus, you can usually watch a show the day after it airs and have access to the entire season.

The problem-many TV shows are not available to either Hulu or Hulu Plus members. For example, you cannot watch The Walking Dead, Downton Abbey, etc. While I understand that this is a problem with their agreements with the cable networks, as a consumer I don't care. Many people who are subscribing to Hulu Plus do it to cancel their cable bill-if you do this you will miss out on many popular shows.

My advice-stick to the free Hulu membership. Hulu just doesn't have all of the shows that are on TV.

Hulu plus

Comments about Hulu Plus:

We have had a subscription for Hulu plus for three years now. My husband and I watch a lot of TV shows throughout the week. Before Hulu plus we used to watch some of our TV shows as they are airing and Some of them we used the DVR. Those that we couldn't watch as they aired or Dvr, we watched off the Networks website. When we heard of hulu plus we thought it was a neat idea and that we should check it out. Well we ended up getting a one-month free trail for signing up for Hulu plus and at the end of the trial we loved it. The day after the tv show aired is when they put it up for you to watch. They had tons of TV shows from all different kinds of networks. They had every show we were watching and shows that we wanted to start watching on their network. I hate watching Commercials and by getting hulu plus, the commercial break is
only about 30 seconds instead of 4 or 5 minutes. Since that free trail we we're able to watch more and more tv shows. We are now watching around 20 TV shows a week from all different kind of networks. They have shows from NBC, Fox, the CW, Nickelodeon, E entertainment, MTV and many other networks. Hulu plus also has some movies on it, but they are older movies and don't have a lot to choose from. I love watching all different kinds of TV shows and by just paying 7.99 a month we are able to watch as many shows as we want. I highly recommend checking out Hulu plus. If you love watching TV shows hulu plus is way to go.

Ok- But not the greatest

Comments about Hulu Plus:

I have both netflix and amazon prime that allow for streaming. I decided to try this for a month of free trial, in hopes of switching. I was very disappointed. Hulu did offer a lot of main adult tv shows. The downfall was I felt like these shows/videos downloaded very slowly and were interrupted very often. I felt like I was constantly getting a "bad" connection. Also, a mother of two small children I was hoping for a lot more variety when it came to children's shows. None of the frequent shows that my sons watch were available on Hulu. I didn't find anything that really stood out to me with this company. After my one month of free trial I did not get it because I did not feel like what they had to offer was the best for the money. I stuck with Netflix and have been happy with the choices available with that. I would recommend anyone who may be thinking about getting Hulu Plus as a service try their free month trial first so you are not disappointed.