1.3

• Speed:
    • Security:
    • Reliability:
    • Customer Service:
    • I received a sample (11), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (3)

Broadband with HughesNet helps me connect faster.

I’ll admit that I was a little behind the times, and I actually had dial-up before I got HughesNet.  Call me old fashioned.  So I guess it’s no surprise that HughesNet totally blew me away when I signed up.  It’s something like 50 times faster than dial up, but my statistics might be off, so don’t quote me on it.  I really had no idea what “broadband” meant, so for those who are in the same boat, please excuse me if I explain a little.  HughesNet uses broadband by satellite, so you don’t have to use a phone line, and you don’t have to wait for the Internet to pop up, because it instantly connects.  Instant gratification really is the way to go on this one.  Okay, so now that I’ve explained that, let me get on with my review.

What first got me looking into HughesNet was the fact that it was number one in the US.  That’s got to mean something, right?  I mean, it wouldn’t be ranked number one unless it had a lot to offer.  So I called 866-770-0822 and they were really nice and answered all my questions, which I had a lot of.  So I give them top scores for customer service.  They got a guy over to install it, and that was really quick.  After the installation, I’ve not had any problems, so I guess that means they’re pretty reliable.  It’s been really great!  Believe me, compared to dial-up, HughesNet really steps up.  I don’t have any complaints, and I’ll never turn back.

Hughes Net is a real bad internet company

I have had Hughesnet Satellite internet for almost 3 years now. I live in the country to where you can't hardly get any internet companies to work where I live so I got...Read complete review

I have had Hughesnet Satellite internet for almost 3 years now. I live in the country to where you can't hardly get any internet companies to work where I live so I got that.

Before, I got that kind of internet I called around for internet that wasn't through a telephone line and I couldn't get any that would work where I live. I got a piece of mail from Hughesnet that sounded very good because it said that it worked everywhere , free installation and it was real fast. I called to make sure there wasn't any extra  charges and they said that there wouldn't be any. It didn't say nothing about that internet company having a fair access policy. The fair access policy is to where you have a certain amount of internet and you only can do a certain amount of internet for that day if you go over you are out of internet.

Well, when the person came out to install it with a surprise he told me it costs $600 to install it. Luckily I had the money saved, I usually don't so I paid it. Shortly after getting it my internet wouldn't work sometimes so I would call them and they would do a search and say that I went over the fair access policy and the only way to do that is by watching lots of videos. We weren't watching videos. Some days I wouldn't have any internet for 2 days because they said that we went over the fair access policy and it had to fill back up. Later on I found out that to do computer updates can do that so I found out that you can do anything between the hours of 1:00 A.M  and 6:00 A.M Central Standard time.

After 2 years was about up since you have a two year contract with them. They talked me in to a different wireless machine because it is faster then the old one and less interference. The weather doesn't mess it up as easy as the other one they said. You get more internet you can use. Well, they talked me into it so I have to wait another 2 years to cancel them or I will have to pay them $500 to cancel.

Well, with this new system , it does seem to be a little faster but they have technical problems with it to where it shuts down for hours quite a few days per month. For about 5 months I found out why we would run out of internet because now we can download a meter that tells us how much internet we have left. You can see the internet dissapearing real fast without doing any downloads at all. The internet changes when you get 100% internet for the day. Before, we got the meter we thought that each day we were using that days internet. Nope some days you are using the day befores internet until 1:00 P.M and it is about gone before that so that's probably how we ran out and had to wait days to get it back. Now since we have a meter we usually have to wait until it is a 100% for the day before we can start using it for that day and what's bad is it changes all the time on what time eachday it is going to be 100% for the day. I have to wait until 1:00 A.M to do computer updates because one day it was 100% before doing the updates and it went to 0% with 30 minutes of updates and I had to wait 2 days to have internet back. The monthly fee for this internet for me is $105 a month and that isn't the most expensive plan and I have to pay a monthly fee  besides a month so it doesn't cost me as much for them to come down if they have to fix something. It still cost for them to come down to fix things but not as much. One month they had to come down twice and I still had to pay $20  for  each of those times for them to come down and it ended up being there wiring hookups being faulty both times. I have to  pay $18 a month that is a different bill so I can talk to people that speak english. I can talk to people that I can't understand for free. Lots of times I can't get a hold of them on the phone when I have a problem to where it keeps ringing and I try all day and still can't get a hold of them and  so I still have to call the india toll free number to talk to someone. I'm not prejudice it is just real hard to understand what they are saying and the india number the customer service people are real rude. The india number is open 24 hours. Sometimes I can't get a hold of anyone on there number either.

If you think this review was helpful, give it a thumbs up. Thank you.

DON'T DO IT!!!

from Michigan

Comments about Hughes Net:

Consider yourself wise and fortunate if you happen to be reading this review prior to purchasing Hughesnet.

Hughesnet is the BIGGEST scam I have ever had the horror of experiencing in my life. From their theft at the time of purchase (I could not understand the sales person because she spoke so fast and I somehow committed to a premium plan when I asked over and over for the most basic plan they have). They then continued to overcharge me for a year, and would act like they were going to give me huge discounts each time I called during that year (the "huge" discounts were for more than the basic plan I wanted to sign up for). The customer service reps are from overseas and refuse to take blame for overcharging.

In addition to all of this, the internet is the WORST connection in the world... and I only use it for grading papers!

They have been auto billing me even though I asked for paper bills, and continue to steal money from me. I have filed a dispute through the Better Business Bureau and have gotten nowhere. I am stuck in the plan for another year.

Please do not fall victim to this scam, and tell your neighbors who life in remote locations the same warning. If I could turn back time, I would have added data to my cell phone plan and used the hotspot for internet usage.

Worst ever

from Santa Fe NM

Comments about Hughes Net:

Do not, under any circumstances order this service. Customer service is overseas and the worst connection speeds I've ever had. Even on sunny clear days, it's horrid!! Their customer service is abysmal and if you happen to get a live person, well, it's all your fault and not theirs.

One star is too much

from Vinton VA

Comments about Hughes Net:

I purchased Hughesnet and have hated my life ever since! The only reason I gave them 1 star was because I couldn't give them less. Please do yourself a favor and literally take your money and throw it out the window! A waste of money is doesn't describe the service or product I have experienced with hughesnet. Purchasing their product is like paying someone to repeatedly poke you in the eye with a stick, not only do you not get the product promised by them, you get poked in the eye with a flipping stick!!! They suck!!! I hate them!!! I spent over an hour online just waiting for their page to load up so I could pay them the other day!!! I used to be able to pay all my bills online, now I cant even pay my stinking internet bill online!!!

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Never Use Hughes Net

from Winton, CA

Comments about Hughes Net:

My deceased father used Hughes Net. When he died 5 1/2 months ago, we began to close his house and accounts. We called and emailed Hughes Net to no avail to increase his service till we could finish his business - they wanted faxed death certificates, which we tried to do, and other intrusive information. They finally provided us with a way to pay his normal bill - no increased service. Two months ago we provided them with a death certificate by mail and cancelled his service, disconnecting their modem. The house is empty and on the market. They just sent us a bill for a small amount and said we could be liable for charges for equipment. We wrote, said to give us an address, that their equipment was in storage and we would send it to them. Today we got a letter saying that our deceased father has been sent to collection and that the bill now is $362.20. We do not understand the bill, nor the lack of empathy or business sense that Hughes Net has shown. We have tried our best to keep them paid until we terminated service and offered to send any equipment back that they needed. They cannot be reached, nor negotiated with - they just stonewall. They are not a business any one should deal with.

Aweful

from Loranger, La

Comments about Hughes Net:

The worst internet ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Takes 30 minutes to watch a 2 minute video. Youtube just gives up on it sometimes and wont play the video after a certain amount of time, and i need to watch videos #1 I go to church live via internet on Sunday mornings and 2 my daughter and I both go to school on the computer. What a waste of money. I live out in the boonies taking care of my parents where they live, and there was not much of an option where internet is concerned. Oh AT&T why are you not in ALL areas as much money as you make!?!

I would never buy this service again

from Minnesota Lake, MN

Comments about Hughes Net:

No words can describe how p'd off I am with Hughes Net right now! After my contract is up I'll never ever go back to them. So any of my friends that may need internet in the future I'd never ever ever EVER go with hughesnet if I was you. Got hung up on today after I was put on hold was told installation would be different day then it's going to be. Told them it would have to be weekend or after 5 pm for installation during week now they're telling me I'm set up for morning install. Complained to management group even cussed em out on phone which I don't like doing but my blood is boiling so much and so fed up that it just came out of my mouth! So not happy at all with Hughesnet and none of my friends would i reccommend get them for service. Rant Over!!!! hopefully I save some people from being as p'd as i am!!!

Not good!

from indiana

Comments about Hughes Net:

The worst internet provider ever, seriously!

Worst Internet Ever

from La Pine, Oregon

Comments about Hughes Net:

I have been with this company just since November of 2014. I was told things like. Facebook no problems playing your games, and that was a lie. I have never had so many problems. I went through a tech problem with them and then ended up having to buy a brand new tower. Everything was fine until they asked me to do this and this. I would not have gotten them if I knew what I know now. I still have over a year and a half. Cannot wait till the two years is up so I can dump them.

Do you have money to throw away?

from Nacogdoches, Texas

Comments about Hughes Net:

If you have more money than you can use, and would like to contribute for nothing in return...subscribe to Hughes Net...If you enjoy watching the little circle go around and around...and around...for infinity...subscribe to Hughes Net. If you want to break the habit of using a computer...subscribe to Hughes Net. I'm stuck in a three-year contract without the use of a computer. I cannot even pay my bills on line anymore. I HATE this company. I'm on my daughter's computer to submit this review. There needs to be a negative star for this.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Customer service joke

from Michigan

Comments about Hughes Net:

Have been with Hughes net for years and never liked it. Every month run out of time as their down load speed is so SLOW so takes so much time. Can not watch videos on face book as has to stop, download run few seconds wait to down load and on. Complained to customer serivce, " Oh we are sorry" cliche that gets old quick. NO change.
Paying twice as much as others do for Cable, get slower speeds, LIMITED TIME that expires, Unable to use Net Flix you tube because of speed and time usage.
Moving so canceling asked for box to send their stuff back, will not send until you move. WHY??? Have to take their stuff with me , keep track of it and wait for their box to come to send back by UPS so have to find UPS store in new town. When asked why not send box now and when leave can drop off at UPS here, NO we have to charge you for that. WHAT???? Mercy common sense and costumer service is a joke. If I hear oh sorry for inconvenience cliche again would love to throw phone at them.
USE Exceed heard is better but not real good either, there is none. All racket to charge more for rural customers.
Rate this as one star as there is NO 0 star or negative stars.