1.3

• Speed:
    • Security:
    • Reliability:
    • Customer Service:

Broadband with HughesNet helps me connect faster.

I’ll admit that I was a little behind the times, and I actually had dial-up before I got HughesNet.  Call me old fashioned.  So I guess it’s no surprise that HughesNet totally blew me away when I signed up.  It’s something like 50 times faster than dial up, but my statistics might be off, so don’t quote me on it.  I really had no idea what “broadband” meant, so for those who are in the same boat, please excuse me if I explain a little.  HughesNet uses broadband by satellite, so you don’t have to use a phone line, and you don’t have to wait for the Internet to pop up, because it instantly connects.  Instant gratification really is the way to go on this one.  Okay, so now that I’ve explained that, let me get on with my review.

What first got me looking into HughesNet was the fact that it was number one in the US.  That’s got to mean something, right?  I mean, it wouldn’t be ranked number one unless it had a lot to offer.  So I called 866-770-0822 and they were really nice and answered all my questions, which I had a lot of.  So I give them top scores for customer service.  They got a guy over to install it, and that was really quick.  After the installation, I’ve not had any problems, so I guess that means they’re pretty reliable.  It’s been really great!  Believe me, compared to dial-up, HughesNet really steps up.  I don’t have any complaints, and I’ll never turn back.

Hughes Net is a real bad internet company

I have had Hughesnet Satellite internet for almost 3 years now. I live in the country to where you can't hardly get any internet companies to work where I live so I got...Read complete review

I have had Hughesnet Satellite internet for almost 3 years now. I live in the country to where you can't hardly get any internet companies to work where I live so I got that.

Before, I got that kind of internet I called around for internet that wasn't through a telephone line and I couldn't get any that would work where I live. I got a piece of mail from Hughesnet that sounded very good because it said that it worked everywhere , free installation and it was real fast. I called to make sure there wasn't any extra  charges and they said that there wouldn't be any. It didn't say nothing about that internet company having a fair access policy. The fair access policy is to where you have a certain amount of internet and you only can do a certain amount of internet for that day if you go over you are out of internet.

Well, when the person came out to install it with a surprise he told me it costs $600 to install it. Luckily I had the money saved, I usually don't so I paid it. Shortly after getting it my internet wouldn't work sometimes so I would call them and they would do a search and say that I went over the fair access policy and the only way to do that is by watching lots of videos. We weren't watching videos. Some days I wouldn't have any internet for 2 days because they said that we went over the fair access policy and it had to fill back up. Later on I found out that to do computer updates can do that so I found out that you can do anything between the hours of 1:00 A.M  and 6:00 A.M Central Standard time.

After 2 years was about up since you have a two year contract with them. They talked me in to a different wireless machine because it is faster then the old one and less interference. The weather doesn't mess it up as easy as the other one they said. You get more internet you can use. Well, they talked me into it so I have to wait another 2 years to cancel them or I will have to pay them $500 to cancel.

Well, with this new system , it does seem to be a little faster but they have technical problems with it to where it shuts down for hours quite a few days per month. For about 5 months I found out why we would run out of internet because now we can download a meter that tells us how much internet we have left. You can see the internet dissapearing real fast without doing any downloads at all. The internet changes when you get 100% internet for the day. Before, we got the meter we thought that each day we were using that days internet. Nope some days you are using the day befores internet until 1:00 P.M and it is about gone before that so that's probably how we ran out and had to wait days to get it back. Now since we have a meter we usually have to wait until it is a 100% for the day before we can start using it for that day and what's bad is it changes all the time on what time eachday it is going to be 100% for the day. I have to wait until 1:00 A.M to do computer updates because one day it was 100% before doing the updates and it went to 0% with 30 minutes of updates and I had to wait 2 days to have internet back. The monthly fee for this internet for me is $105 a month and that isn't the most expensive plan and I have to pay a monthly fee  besides a month so it doesn't cost me as much for them to come down if they have to fix something. It still cost for them to come down to fix things but not as much. One month they had to come down twice and I still had to pay $20  for  each of those times for them to come down and it ended up being there wiring hookups being faulty both times. I have to  pay $18 a month that is a different bill so I can talk to people that speak english. I can talk to people that I can't understand for free. Lots of times I can't get a hold of them on the phone when I have a problem to where it keeps ringing and I try all day and still can't get a hold of them and  so I still have to call the india toll free number to talk to someone. I'm not prejudice it is just real hard to understand what they are saying and the india number the customer service people are real rude. The india number is open 24 hours. Sometimes I can't get a hold of anyone on there number either.

If you think this review was helpful, give it a thumbs up. Thank you.

I would never buy this service again

from Minnesota Lake, MN

Comments about Hughes Net:

No words can describe how p'd off I am with Hughes Net right now! After my contract is up I'll never ever go back to them. So any of my friends that may need internet in the future I'd never ever ever EVER go with hughesnet if I was you. Got hung up on today after I was put on hold was told installation would be different day then it's going to be. Told them it would have to be weekend or after 5 pm for installation during week now they're telling me I'm set up for morning install. Complained to management group even cussed em out on phone which I don't like doing but my blood is boiling so much and so fed up that it just came out of my mouth! So not happy at all with Hughesnet and none of my friends would i reccommend get them for service. Rant Over!!!! hopefully I save some people from being as p'd as i am!!!

Not good!

from indiana

Comments about Hughes Net:

The worst internet provider ever, seriously!

Worst Internet Ever

from La Pine, Oregon

Comments about Hughes Net:

I have been with this company just since November of 2014. I was told things like. Facebook no problems playing your games, and that was a lie. I have never had so many problems. I went through a tech problem with them and then ended up having to buy a brand new tower. Everything was fine until they asked me to do this and this. I would not have gotten them if I knew what I know now. I still have over a year and a half. Cannot wait till the two years is up so I can dump them.

Do you have money to throw away?

from Nacogdoches, Texas

Comments about Hughes Net:

If you have more money than you can use, and would like to contribute for nothing in return...subscribe to Hughes Net...If you enjoy watching the little circle go around and around...and around...for infinity...subscribe to Hughes Net. If you want to break the habit of using a computer...subscribe to Hughes Net. I'm stuck in a three-year contract without the use of a computer. I cannot even pay my bills on line anymore. I HATE this company. I'm on my daughter's computer to submit this review. There needs to be a negative star for this.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Customer service joke

from Michigan

Comments about Hughes Net:

Have been with Hughes net for years and never liked it. Every month run out of time as their down load speed is so SLOW so takes so much time. Can not watch videos on face book as has to stop, download run few seconds wait to down load and on. Complained to customer serivce, " Oh we are sorry" cliche that gets old quick. NO change.
Paying twice as much as others do for Cable, get slower speeds, LIMITED TIME that expires, Unable to use Net Flix you tube because of speed and time usage.
Moving so canceling asked for box to send their stuff back, will not send until you move. WHY??? Have to take their stuff with me , keep track of it and wait for their box to come to send back by UPS so have to find UPS store in new town. When asked why not send box now and when leave can drop off at UPS here, NO we have to charge you for that. WHAT???? Mercy common sense and costumer service is a joke. If I hear oh sorry for inconvenience cliche again would love to throw phone at them.
USE Exceed heard is better but not real good either, there is none. All racket to charge more for rural customers.
Rate this as one star as there is NO 0 star or negative stars.

Bunch of Hacks

from Texas

Comments about Hughes Net:

Hughes has got to be one of the biggest hacks out there on the market for internet. I ordered it installed, and right away it was poor service to none. Called in to Hughes and they said you have to request "tokens" if I wanted more internet. And it would cost more money. After a few words of what I thought of that, Hughes said they would upgrade me to a "unlimited" account for more money. I said no. I said I just want what I was promised. They then upgraded. After 2 days, service was terrible again. Called in to find out what was going on. After getting the run around, I asked to talk to someone about canceling my service. I guess it so bad there. They have a dept. set up just for that. And they charge 400$ to cancel. And they wanted to charge me 100$ to have the satellite removed from my house. After explaining that I will not remove their eqt, Hughes said they would do me a favor and take care of it. Hughes WILL NOT work with you. I have never known a company that would not guarantee their service. I asked for a full refund. And basically was told that would never happen. From this point forward I will never recommend Hughes for anything. Highly disappointed.

Worst waist of money.

from Texas

Comments about Hughes Net:

I requested the internet service charged me for the labor and first months service. I only had it 3 days and was not able to use my internet that morning called and said i had a problem and they said i used up all my gigs/gb. I barley had they servie for 3 days. Asked for a refund and they said "NO". All they could do was reset my gbs". So i said cancel my service at the end of the month and they i would have to call bk on the 6 of next month called on the 6 and they said i was a day late and would have to pay a disconnection fee, and send the radio connection that is connected to a satalite on the top of my roof, (so i can have a medical bill also). Really i had to go off tried to keep cool but seriously. Eventually they said ok well we gave u a disscount so u only have to pay a third of the discount but i would still have to clime my roof and unhook that radio. With no refund. I would Not recommend Hughes Net

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY

from Abilene, TX

Comments about Hughes Net:

HughesNet is the worse internet server on the market. You will be wasting your money if you chose this company. The service is non-existence, the internet speed is the slowest. Stay away from Hughes Net.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Slowest Internet in the country!

from Killeen, TX

Comments about Hughes Net:

This Internet is not to use if you have a family that relies on internet. This is the first time I have tried it. I am used to cable internet or FIOS internet. If you have had either of these two, do not go to satellite internet. Plus they put a data cap on your usage like cell phone companies. If you play games online then this is not even worth your time.

terrible service

from Cabot,AR

Comments about Hughes Net:

Technican was supposed to bring a router and hook up wi-fi for my mom. He did not and told her that she had to get her own router, even though they were supposed to bring one and install it. My mom is not able to do those things for herself- she is disabled. Now I am spending my Sunday running around and trying to find the right cables and adapters to connect their weird modem to the router. The technician did not say what would be needed or anything. I am trying to talk her into cancelling the service. She has had to pay for 2 internet services- could not cancel the first until I get the router connected and working. Terrible service!!!