1.3

• Speed:
    • Security:
    • Reliability:
    • Customer Service:
    • I received a sample (17), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (5)

Broadband with HughesNet helps me connect faster.

I’ll admit that I was a little behind the times, and I actually had dial-up before I got HughesNet.  Call me old fashioned.  So I guess it’s no surprise that HughesNet totally blew me away when I signed up.  It’s something like 50 times faster than dial up, but my statistics might be off, so don’t quote me on it.  I really had no idea what “broadband” meant, so for those who are in the same boat, please excuse me if I explain a little.  HughesNet uses broadband by satellite, so you don’t have to use a phone line, and you don’t have to wait for the Internet to pop up, because it instantly connects.  Instant gratification really is the way to go on this one.  Okay, so now that I’ve explained that, let me get on with my review.

What first got me looking into HughesNet was the fact that it was number one in the US.  That’s got to mean something, right?  I mean, it wouldn’t be ranked number one unless it had a lot to offer.  So I called 866-770-0822 and they were really nice and answered all my questions, which I had a lot of.  So I give them top scores for customer service.  They got a guy over to install it, and that was really quick.  After the installation, I’ve not had any problems, so I guess that means they’re pretty reliable.  It’s been really great!  Believe me, compared to dial-up, HughesNet really steps up.  I don’t have any complaints, and I’ll never turn back.

Hughes Net is a real bad internet company

I have had Hughesnet Satellite internet for almost 3 years now. I live in the country to where you can't hardly get any internet companies to work where I live so I got...Read complete review

I have had Hughesnet Satellite internet for almost 3 years now. I live in the country to where you can't hardly get any internet companies to work where I live so I got that.

Before, I got that kind of internet I called around for internet that wasn't through a telephone line and I couldn't get any that would work where I live. I got a piece of mail from Hughesnet that sounded very good because it said that it worked everywhere , free installation and it was real fast. I called to make sure there wasn't any extra  charges and they said that there wouldn't be any. It didn't say nothing about that internet company having a fair access policy. The fair access policy is to where you have a certain amount of internet and you only can do a certain amount of internet for that day if you go over you are out of internet.

Well, when the person came out to install it with a surprise he told me it costs $600 to install it. Luckily I had the money saved, I usually don't so I paid it. Shortly after getting it my internet wouldn't work sometimes so I would call them and they would do a search and say that I went over the fair access policy and the only way to do that is by watching lots of videos. We weren't watching videos. Some days I wouldn't have any internet for 2 days because they said that we went over the fair access policy and it had to fill back up. Later on I found out that to do computer updates can do that so I found out that you can do anything between the hours of 1:00 A.M  and 6:00 A.M Central Standard time.

After 2 years was about up since you have a two year contract with them. They talked me in to a different wireless machine because it is faster then the old one and less interference. The weather doesn't mess it up as easy as the other one they said. You get more internet you can use. Well, they talked me into it so I have to wait another 2 years to cancel them or I will have to pay them $500 to cancel.

Well, with this new system , it does seem to be a little faster but they have technical problems with it to where it shuts down for hours quite a few days per month. For about 5 months I found out why we would run out of internet because now we can download a meter that tells us how much internet we have left. You can see the internet dissapearing real fast without doing any downloads at all. The internet changes when you get 100% internet for the day. Before, we got the meter we thought that each day we were using that days internet. Nope some days you are using the day befores internet until 1:00 P.M and it is about gone before that so that's probably how we ran out and had to wait days to get it back. Now since we have a meter we usually have to wait until it is a 100% for the day before we can start using it for that day and what's bad is it changes all the time on what time eachday it is going to be 100% for the day. I have to wait until 1:00 A.M to do computer updates because one day it was 100% before doing the updates and it went to 0% with 30 minutes of updates and I had to wait 2 days to have internet back. The monthly fee for this internet for me is $105 a month and that isn't the most expensive plan and I have to pay a monthly fee  besides a month so it doesn't cost me as much for them to come down if they have to fix something. It still cost for them to come down to fix things but not as much. One month they had to come down twice and I still had to pay $20  for  each of those times for them to come down and it ended up being there wiring hookups being faulty both times. I have to  pay $18 a month that is a different bill so I can talk to people that speak english. I can talk to people that I can't understand for free. Lots of times I can't get a hold of them on the phone when I have a problem to where it keeps ringing and I try all day and still can't get a hold of them and  so I still have to call the india toll free number to talk to someone. I'm not prejudice it is just real hard to understand what they are saying and the india number the customer service people are real rude. The india number is open 24 hours. Sometimes I can't get a hold of anyone on there number either.

If you think this review was helpful, give it a thumbs up. Thank you.

Run...run as fast as you can

from Brownwood, Tx

Comments about Hughes Net:

Don't waste your time or your money with these crooks. They would not cancel my boyfriend's account and they continued to draft money out of my boyfriends account. They stole almost $700 and refused to give it back. They lied and would not, nor did they cancel his account. They said he never called to cancel and that they had the right to take the money. He called them in April and then again in September of 2018 and they ignored his cancellations and kept stealing from him. His bank won't give him his money back either and we have prof that he canceled because he signed up with Harris Broadband and was paying them. Hughesnet has terrible customer service, they are twice to 3 times higher in price than anyone else, the speed is terrible, you don't get your money's worth, and they are crooks.

Hughes Net Biggest rio off

from Tucson Az.

HUGHES NET THIS IS ALL A LIE
Built-in Wi-Fi Be ready to recover page many times
Connect multiple wireless devices at home (lie). You'll have peace of mind knowing that your system features the latest in Wi-Fi standards and technology (dual-band 802.11ac). Delivers 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz for incredible speeds and excellent coverage (lie). Set up separate guest Wi-Fi for visitors to keep your home network more secure. Monitor data usage and track Wi-Fi performance
Yes! HughesNet Gen5 is available from coast to coast in the U.S. All you need is a clear view of the southern sky. Visit our Coverage Areas page to learn more!
Yes, you can use Skype and Netflix with our Gen5 service, but be sure to continue to monitor your monthly Service Plan Data with the Usage Meter. It's important to remember that your home is approximately 22,000 miles away from the HughesNet satellite in space. In order to minimize the delay that comes from having data travel back and forth over such a vast distance, your modem uses advanced acceleration techniques.
About all thats is true with these adds are hughes net satellite is 22,000 away

I did this upgrade and its a lie because all plans have same speed
Get Higher Speeds and Greater Download Capacity
Enjoy faster Internet speeds and greater download capacity when you upgrade your HughesNet service plan. New, improved plans available in certain geographic areas.
I have had it after 5 months of running out of data, most of my data used waiting for buffering on you tube and ruku. It's impossible to call, your wait time is forever then you get someone you cant understand from India or somewhere else. Hughes net is about as fast as dial up. Plenty of free buffering. I've had it with this is a total rip off and I plan on turning in a report to B.B.B

I have already paid over 400.00 since I got this awful service. I will return the equipment via usps but dont expect one more penny from me, your company has broken the agreement so many times,

Total and Complete Garbage

from Toledo Ohio

Comments about Hughes Net:

I have sent more time with their customer service then using their service, the average speed is 5 Mbps and their customer service SUCKS. I hope to be part of the class action lawsuit when it starts because I have kept a record of the speed and their lack of fixing it, 3 modems and 3 technical service so far and still not working. I am counting the days when I can be rid of this god awful service

2 year contract with 1 Mb/s download speed

from Bremerton, WA

Comments about Hughes Net:

My 85-year old father recently contacted Dish TV about getting a package deal for TV service and also internet (which they bundled through Hughes Net). A Dish representative came out and set up both the TV and the internet. He explained my father would have both; it was a 2 year contract and didn't explain that the internet plan was a 'Data' plan - mostly used with cell phones. Residential areas mainly need 'speed' plans due to different requirements. Computer internet usage in residential areas is often determined by Windows upgrading itself or security updates or even streaming on TVs. My dad uses internet for both his computer and TV (and even his house phone). They never said that after 10GB of data, his internet speed would go down to 1 Mb/s - slow enough that most items won't work properly. The box that Dish set up with this 'bundle' and the computer went through the data in just 1 day and for the rest of the month Dad's at 1 Mb/s; his phone has a 1 second delay for anyone talking (not only hard to talk but using 911 is a major concern) and Netflix will not stream any movies. He tried numerous times to figure out why he had slow internet. When I contacted Hughes.net to try and help, they told me to disconnect his TV box and his computer... I asked what was the point in having internet if everything is disconnected. They then tried to sell Dad a higher data plan. Of course, any 'data' plan would have the same issue and they wanted more money. When I tried to terminate Dad's plan (which is what he wanted by then), they said there would be a termination fee even though they set up a bad product for my Dad's situation. Dish and Hughes.net set my elderly father up in a bad contract and won't rectify the situation.

crooks and scam artists

from Thomaston, Georgia

Comments about Hughes Net:

Do not sign up with HughesNet!! I never got the service I paid for! I rarely ever had service and when I finally called to complain I miraculously got service for a day or two then nothing! But accidentally stream one video and "boom" all your data allowance disappears. The worst part is when you call to cancel your service you learn the contract fine print. It costs $400 your first 90 days to cancel and each month after ninety days only subtracts $15. So if you get fed up after 6 months and try to cancel it will cost you $355, after a year $265, etc...also when you call to cancel they try to get you to hang up by putting you on hold for 10 mins at a time. "Oh, you want to cancel service? Hold on one minute while I check the computer" .. ten mins later " I am going to talk to a manager to see if we can lower that cancellation fee, hold please"... 10 mins later " the manager says you are bound by the terms of Your contract. It will cost $400 to terminate. How about I discount your service by $10 a month. Hold please and I will see what I can do for you"... ten mins later. I am just waiting for someone to sue so I can join a class action law suit. I know I got ripped off. Don't make the same mistake.

Horrible Customer Service and contractors

from New Jersey

Comments about Hughes Net:

HughesNet does not care about their customers. The contractors also do not care.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

I would never sign up for their service again

from North Las Vegas, NV

Comments about Hughes Net:

Had HughesNet installed 3 days ago and was unable to unable to connect to the internet every single morning since then. Somehow, their "Gateway" resets itself later in the morning. Tech support is outsourced and for the most part very difficult to understand. As their Gateway eventually finds connectivity, even HughesNet's "advanced technical support" takes no action, but simply leaves their system in the shoddy state it's in: at some point during the night, it simply is inoperational.

Negative 5 stars

from Wickneburg Az

Comments about Hughes Net:

Four more months to go. I will have no internet service except limited phone. Thanks ok. No internet is better than another day with Hughes net. Internet speed is not as advertised. I can't stream movie. I can't access the server frequently. Customer service is horrible. Their remedy is to go with Gen5 for more money when Gen 4 does not perform as promised! Horrible company and service. And good luck trying to understand most of the customer service reps.

worst internet service ever

from avinger, texas

Comments about Hughes Net:

If I could give this service a zero, I would! We are operating at an average of 3 mbps when the standard is supposed to be around 25 (per Hughes.net customer service by the way). We have had our operating speed tested, i have 2 escalated cases, been a problem since we installed and contacted them within our trial period of installation. been 6 months now and still not resolved. locked into a contract that i have to pay to get out of, paying over 125/month for internet service that takes me 15 minutes to load an email. this is the worst service ever. you do NOT get what you pay for. they keep charging me happily every month though. cannot resolve. do not get this service ever!!

Dont use hughes net

from Lacrosse wi

Comments about Hughes Net:

AVOID HUGHES NET. If you are even thinking about this awful company DON"T DO IT!!! I have called them on 4 different occasions to fix my phone service. Service I have never had. It was the only thing I really wanted when I started this process. They will not send a service technician to fix the phone unless I pay for it. When I tried to cancel service they want to charge me over $300.00 to cancel a service that never worked in the first place. If anyone thinks about this company call me and I will help you change your mind.