1.3

• Speed:
    • Security:
    • Reliability:
    • Customer Service:
    • I received a sample (16), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (4)

Broadband with HughesNet helps me connect faster.

I’ll admit that I was a little behind the times, and I actually had dial-up before I got HughesNet.  Call me old fashioned.  So I guess it’s no surprise that HughesNet totally blew me away when I signed up.  It’s something like 50 times faster than dial up, but my statistics might be off, so don’t quote me on it.  I really had no idea what “broadband” meant, so for those who are in the same boat, please excuse me if I explain a little.  HughesNet uses broadband by satellite, so you don’t have to use a phone line, and you don’t have to wait for the Internet to pop up, because it instantly connects.  Instant gratification really is the way to go on this one.  Okay, so now that I’ve explained that, let me get on with my review.

What first got me looking into HughesNet was the fact that it was number one in the US.  That’s got to mean something, right?  I mean, it wouldn’t be ranked number one unless it had a lot to offer.  So I called 866-770-0822 and they were really nice and answered all my questions, which I had a lot of.  So I give them top scores for customer service.  They got a guy over to install it, and that was really quick.  After the installation, I’ve not had any problems, so I guess that means they’re pretty reliable.  It’s been really great!  Believe me, compared to dial-up, HughesNet really steps up.  I don’t have any complaints, and I’ll never turn back.

Hughes Net is a real bad internet company

I have had Hughesnet Satellite internet for almost 3 years now. I live in the country to where you can't hardly get any internet companies to work where I live so I got...Read complete review

I have had Hughesnet Satellite internet for almost 3 years now. I live in the country to where you can't hardly get any internet companies to work where I live so I got that.

Before, I got that kind of internet I called around for internet that wasn't through a telephone line and I couldn't get any that would work where I live. I got a piece of mail from Hughesnet that sounded very good because it said that it worked everywhere , free installation and it was real fast. I called to make sure there wasn't any extra  charges and they said that there wouldn't be any. It didn't say nothing about that internet company having a fair access policy. The fair access policy is to where you have a certain amount of internet and you only can do a certain amount of internet for that day if you go over you are out of internet.

Well, when the person came out to install it with a surprise he told me it costs $600 to install it. Luckily I had the money saved, I usually don't so I paid it. Shortly after getting it my internet wouldn't work sometimes so I would call them and they would do a search and say that I went over the fair access policy and the only way to do that is by watching lots of videos. We weren't watching videos. Some days I wouldn't have any internet for 2 days because they said that we went over the fair access policy and it had to fill back up. Later on I found out that to do computer updates can do that so I found out that you can do anything between the hours of 1:00 A.M  and 6:00 A.M Central Standard time.

After 2 years was about up since you have a two year contract with them. They talked me in to a different wireless machine because it is faster then the old one and less interference. The weather doesn't mess it up as easy as the other one they said. You get more internet you can use. Well, they talked me into it so I have to wait another 2 years to cancel them or I will have to pay them $500 to cancel.

Well, with this new system , it does seem to be a little faster but they have technical problems with it to where it shuts down for hours quite a few days per month. For about 5 months I found out why we would run out of internet because now we can download a meter that tells us how much internet we have left. You can see the internet dissapearing real fast without doing any downloads at all. The internet changes when you get 100% internet for the day. Before, we got the meter we thought that each day we were using that days internet. Nope some days you are using the day befores internet until 1:00 P.M and it is about gone before that so that's probably how we ran out and had to wait days to get it back. Now since we have a meter we usually have to wait until it is a 100% for the day before we can start using it for that day and what's bad is it changes all the time on what time eachday it is going to be 100% for the day. I have to wait until 1:00 A.M to do computer updates because one day it was 100% before doing the updates and it went to 0% with 30 minutes of updates and I had to wait 2 days to have internet back. The monthly fee for this internet for me is $105 a month and that isn't the most expensive plan and I have to pay a monthly fee  besides a month so it doesn't cost me as much for them to come down if they have to fix something. It still cost for them to come down to fix things but not as much. One month they had to come down twice and I still had to pay $20  for  each of those times for them to come down and it ended up being there wiring hookups being faulty both times. I have to  pay $18 a month that is a different bill so I can talk to people that speak english. I can talk to people that I can't understand for free. Lots of times I can't get a hold of them on the phone when I have a problem to where it keeps ringing and I try all day and still can't get a hold of them and  so I still have to call the india toll free number to talk to someone. I'm not prejudice it is just real hard to understand what they are saying and the india number the customer service people are real rude. The india number is open 24 hours. Sometimes I can't get a hold of anyone on there number either.

If you think this review was helpful, give it a thumbs up. Thank you.

Dont use hughes net

from Lacrosse wi

Comments about Hughes Net:

AVOID HUGHES NET. If you are even thinking about this awful company DON"T DO IT!!! I have called them on 4 different occasions to fix my phone service. Service I have never had. It was the only thing I really wanted when I started this process. They will not send a service technician to fix the phone unless I pay for it. When I tried to cancel service they want to charge me over $300.00 to cancel a service that never worked in the first place. If anyone thinks about this company call me and I will help you change your mind.

NEVER!

from Spring Hill, FL

Comments about Hughes Net:

Should be unlimited data since it it weather dependent and not enough speed to really do anything even when its working. Very expensive. 2 year contract required. They have you over a barrel if you can't get anything else and they know it. If you ever have to call customer service they are out of the U.S. and speak terrible english and you cannot ever get someone in the u.s. Customer service sucks. Even if they give you a reference number for a ticket it is worthless because there is no info available to the next representative. I've called them 3 times and still have no resolution to a wifi router issue.

Never again!!

from East Nassau, NY

Comments about Hughes Net:

I would rather go WITHOUT internet than use HughesNet! Sales reps don't want to help you...they charge you to service THEIR product or rope you into a 2 year contract to resolve your problem for free. The only thing worse than their customer service is the actual internet service. Reliability is non-existent. High cost for subpar product. Their cancellation fees are astronomical. I have yet to see a ETF as high as HughesNet!

The Worst Internet

from Billings Mt.

never again

Go elsewhere....you'll be happier

from Epping, N.H.

Comments about Hughes Net:

I'm not an employee, thank god. These people do not have a clue about internet..how it works, how to fix it, and in order to draw customers in, they lie about anything you ask about. The amount? $12 higher than quoted, can i use it with my vonage? asked and answered 3xs...yes you can....wrong! Then the killer, i went off line last saturday night, and here we are friday night a week later, and if not for a visiting friend, i would not be here writing this review. Tech left without getting me online, because it was the computer...funny, i'm online now...Would I recommend this company to a friend? NOPE...not even an enemy. Save your money, aggravation, and heart disease. Go a few dollars higher and get what you pay for.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Pretty good internet for satellite internet.

from Waco, TX

Comments about Hughes Net:

I've been with Hughes Net since 2011. Living out in the country I can't get any other ISP than a satellite internet company. Hughes Net is pretty good. I did have a problem with them when to my plan. I gave them a call, they sent out a technician, they upgraded my system, and fixed my concerns. I can't complain for even if it is satellite. Can't expect extremely fast internet with satellite. But overall good experiences with the company.

Extremely slow

from carthage, tx

Comments about Hughes Net:

Very slow, no service even on pretty days, 15 gigs of data gone in a matter of days and then snail speed, overseas customer service. Go wireless

Worst internet for the money bar none

from Campbellsburg, IN

Comments about Hughes Net:

This is the worst internet for the money in the world. They have a captive clientele who are typically unable to connect to conventional internet sources, so they charge huge fees for limited use. Our "allowance" is basically enough to update our electronics once a month before the service becomes throttled to the point of uselessness. They attach to other communications companies who could bring internet services to the areas Hughsnet covers but don't because of that association. Stay away from these people and get a cellphone with hotspot capability, the service is better, cheaper and you can get more bandwidth for your money.

WORST COMPANY EVER!!!!! Dial up is BETTER!!!!!

from Montana

Comments about Hughes Net:

This is the worst internet company. The service never worked and they said they were going to refund me and kept giving me confirmation numbers and then when I would call to see where my refund is they said it wasn't for the $188 it was only for $15. always 30 minutes up to 2 hr. wait. Dial up is faster and you don't have to deal with scammers. Run while you still can!!!!!

DO NOT FALL FOR THIS

from Allentown, PA

Comments about Hughes Net:

DO NOT GET THIS SERVICE. PERIOD. THEY WILL OVERCHARGE YOU AND NOT PROVIDE ANY SERVICE TO YOU. Then when you cancel, they'll charge you $400 to do so.