1.8

Pros

Cons

• Features:
    • Customer Service:

You can get "hot" deals at www.hotwire.com if you are flexible

**Background**My family likes to travel. And, when we travel, we like to have all of the luxuries of home. With small children, we now find ourselves opting for home rentals instead of hotels where possible. It costs a little more, but it is worth it to have a living room, DVD player, private pool, option to eat-in, etc. It also really helps with nap time-- you arent trapped. So, this has reduced our usage of www.hotwire.com. (Unfortunately, we cant get home rentals on hotwire. ;() However, we still use it often!

**Using Hotwire to accommodate our travel**In the past, when childless, we used hotwire.com a lot for hotel reservations. We could often get a 4 star hotel for sometimes up to 50% off. Think Westin for like $80-$100 per night. Likewise with airlines. When we didnt care about traveling in the wee-hours of the night, we would book on hotwire.com and often get a great bargain. Most times up to $50-$70 off the price if purchasing directly.

Now that we have small kids, we use hotwire.com mostly for rental car bookings. We have an upcoming trip scheduled and we needed a car that fits 4 adults and 2 kids. Generally a car that size is NOT CHEAP for the week. I looked on Avis, Hertz and others and found the car we wanted. It was over $1,000 for the week. I went on hotwire.com, selected the same category of car, and got it for $250. Now, that's a bargain!

**How it works**Hotwire.com is kind of like priceline. You do a search, specify the class of hotel or car that you want, and it tells you the current going rate. You can not, however, select your vendor or the specific hotels. Example: You know you will get an SUV, but you dont know if it will be a caddy and from Hertz. Likewise, you know you will get the flight for $200, but you dont know if you will go at 2am or 2pm and if it is on American or United. So, you need to be flexible to use the service.

Consider hotwire.com in your search for travel if you have flexibility. You can often catch some really great deals. It is risky on flights, but less risky on cars.

Tip: Check on the comparison websites to see what general flight times there are for the dates you want to travel. This then let's you know the real risk you may encouter.

Hotwire sucks

I used Hotwire.com to book hotel using a feature where we choose a category of star rating for a given price but name of the hotel is not given until we actually pay and once we pay, it is non-refundable. Problem is they use their own system to rate hotels and try to rate hotels higher than they actually are ie they sell a product claiming a better than real quality. It is like selling brass claiming it is gold. I chose for 2.5 star category but was given a hotel that has been rated 2 star by every other source of such information. It is like I paid for Gold but was given brass and Hotwire claims it is gold because their system rates it as gold. They need to be forced to adopt some external source of rating or they must tell the name of the hotel in advance.

Hotwire

from Hamilton, ON, Canada

Comments about Hotwire.com:

I booked a hotel with hotwire and chose a 4 star rating for 3 families (3 per room). When we were given our hotel I called the hotel to check out accommodations...I was told that we have a single room and would be charged an extra $25 per family if the room needed a roll away bed. What? We were 3 people in a room Hotwire makes you choose your star rating...I chose 4 star! How does a roll away bed equate to a 4 star hotel? After me hearing this information I called Hotwire and YES I was confused/upset - We were going to New York with our son who is 17 and too big for a roll away bed or to sleep with mom and dad. Hotwire said that they will call to rebook elsewhere ...I was on the phone for 3 hours...they could not find any other hotel...sounds fishy! Now they are going to call the hotel they booked me with and they said that they are going to confirm a double room (2 beds) in each room for my booking, now, I'm happy its 1:20 am and they are going to send me a confirmation. When I woke up I checked my email and there was no confirmation...I called hot wire again!!! I was on the phone for again approx. 3hrs ..this is crazy! In the end they were crediting me $100 hotwire dollars to use on mt next booking and I'm getting a double bed room (2 beds) and the other 2 families might get roll away beds. I arrive in New York, I check in, I did not get a double room; the hotel does not have any left...I did get a room that equate to 2 stars and a roll away bed that I almost had to fight for in front of a crowd of people. In the end Hotwire said whatever they could to get me off the phone and for my persistence they credited me $100hotwire credit. This was all to their favour because they had me pay 4 star fees for a 2 star service. I'm one unhappy Hotwire customer

HOTWIRE is a SCAM, never book through this site

from NC

Comments about Hotwire.com:

HOTWIRE is a SCAM. it shows all good hotel in the list but can assign any underrated hotel. You may get shocked on the name of good hotels in the list, what you may end up getting. Please don't register using HOTWIRE.

Absolutely ridiculous, worst company ever

from Wyoming

Comments about Hotwire.com:

What great customer service from Hotwire!!!!

Not only was I able to change the name on my reservation but, oh wait a minute I couldn't because your excuse is:
" changes are not allowed because it is a locked rate".

What men cost more then women to rent a car or something, so I can't put the reservation in my hubbies name?

What sort of company won't let you change the name on a reservation because it has a locked rate?

I even called the 800 number and sat on hold for over an hour before hanging up because I was tired of waiting for someone to pick up.

I downloaded the stupid app so I could try to chat with a person. Customers should have to download an app just to speak to someone.

I for one am done with you guys and will never use you again.

I will never booked in this page the hot rate

from nj

Comments about Hotwire.com:

the hot rate they show you 4 hotels 3 nice and 1 worst they always give you the worst my friends have the same experience.

REAP -OFFS

from atlanta ga

Comments about Hotwire.com:

I recently book a car rental using this hotwire with the perception that it was cheap. Not only was i duped but they changed my pickup location, so i had to drive 30mins to go pick up the car because they cannot change the reservation. and as if that is not all i got charged an extra $78 for being an hour late and i dont some protection stuff. Its not worth it guys

Hotwire is deceitful

from Plainfield Illinois

Comments about Hotwire.com:

If I could rate them Zero stars and that was an actual rating I'd do that instead. But unfortunately I have to choose 1 star. Hotwire is very deceitful. 1).They make you believe the hotel you are getting is better than what it actually is. Rate it a 3 star hotel when in all actuality it is a 1 star if that. 2) they list hotels that are not even part of the deal making you believe you'll be staying at one of those affiliates, because that is what they state. So you Google the affiliates they are beautiful therefore you believe you're getting a great deal. 3) they do not specify that if you get a "hot" deal it is non refundable until after you pay. 4) there is no way no how you will get a refund 5) they are affiliates with hotels that have roaches. People beware before you book with hotwire. Please believe all the poor reviews. DO NOT book with them. I wish I would have known all this info before I made the mistake of giving my money to them. First and last time. Never again. I will be unsubscribing from them too. I really don't understand how they are still in business. They are liars; false advertising; deceitful.

No. Horrible service, rent elsewhere.

from Brownsville Tx airport

Comments about Hotwire.com:

Horrible experience after a wonderful vacation! Pick another car rental have never had a problem in 30 years of coming to SPI.

Worst car rental experience

from Santa Fe, NM

Comments about Hotwire.com:

My flight was delayed and I was late 1 hour picking up the car. They changed the rental rate and there was nothing I could do. Very difficult to get live customer service and when you do get them they are not helpful.

Done Never again

from Milwaukee

Comments about Hotwire.com:

Decided to take the family to take the family out for a fun day and night. Got to the Holiday Inn Express. The hotel is undergoing major renovations and the entire indoor pool and water park were closed. Sorry will never use Hotwire again.. Buyer beware!!!

Never again

from Apple valley Ca.

Comments about Hotwire.com:

I booked a hotel room in the San Diego area for July 15-17, 2017 and upon travel of 5 hours to reach the hotel they collected my money for booking, I was told by the hotel that I had no reservation. Upon calling the customer service line for Hotwire I was told by the first customer service agent whom I could barely understand that my only option was to pay for another room and have them then refund my original purchase and that they would pick up the difference for the inconvenience. That's not acceptable to me I asked to speak with her supervisor and she informed me that her supervisor would be telling me the same thing, I told her that since she clearly couldn't help me I would still need to speak to her supervisor. I was transferred. Mind you at this point I've already been on the phone for 45 minutes. They claim they were trying to reach the hotel the front desk people had no phone calls coming in as I was standing right in front of them. The "supervision" tells me that they are doing me a service by having me re pay for a room that I paid for a month prior and to be refunded for the original as this is the only solution. Unless they can speak to the hotel. So I waited on hold again for over 45 minutes she claims she still can not get ahold of the hotel reservations line. I told her that they should resolve the situation by using the credit to which I have already paid to Hotwire and pay the difference. She still says she can't do that without contacting the hotel. I am not on hold for another 50 minutes then again for another 30 minutes and then another 45 minutes. She claims it's because she had to wait for a manager from the hotel this time to confirm the reservation was never received from Hotwire. So I wait again for another 30 minutes while she tries calling hotels in the area to see if they have a room available. She claims nobody does except in hotels farther from the area I booked. Areas we did not want to be in. I had to downgrade hotels.