1.8

Pros

Cons

• Features:
    • Customer Service:

You can get "hot" deals at www.hotwire.com if you are flexible

**Background**My family likes to travel. And, when we travel, we like to have all of the luxuries of home. With small children, we now find ourselves opting for home rentals instead of hotels where possible. It costs a little more, but it is worth it to have a living room, DVD player, private pool, option to eat-in, etc. It also really helps with nap time-- you arent trapped. So, this has reduced our usage of www.hotwire.com. (Unfortunately, we cant get home rentals on hotwire. ;() However, we still use it often!

**Using Hotwire to accommodate our travel**In the past, when childless, we used hotwire.com a lot for hotel reservations. We could often get a 4 star hotel for sometimes up to 50% off. Think Westin for like $80-$100 per night. Likewise with airlines. When we didnt care about traveling in the wee-hours of the night, we would book on hotwire.com and often get a great bargain. Most times up to $50-$70 off the price if purchasing directly.

Now that we have small kids, we use hotwire.com mostly for rental car bookings. We have an upcoming trip scheduled and we needed a car that fits 4 adults and 2 kids. Generally a car that size is NOT CHEAP for the week. I looked on Avis, Hertz and others and found the car we wanted. It was over $1,000 for the week. I went on hotwire.com, selected the same category of car, and got it for $250. Now, that's a bargain!

**How it works**Hotwire.com is kind of like priceline. You do a search, specify the class of hotel or car that you want, and it tells you the current going rate. You can not, however, select your vendor or the specific hotels. Example: You know you will get an SUV, but you dont know if it will be a caddy and from Hertz. Likewise, you know you will get the flight for $200, but you dont know if you will go at 2am or 2pm and if it is on American or United. So, you need to be flexible to use the service.

Consider hotwire.com in your search for travel if you have flexibility. You can often catch some really great deals. It is risky on flights, but less risky on cars.

Tip: Check on the comparison websites to see what general flight times there are for the dates you want to travel. This then let's you know the real risk you may encouter.

Hotwire sucks

I used Hotwire.com to book hotel using a feature where we choose a category of star rating for a given price but name of the hotel is not given until we actually pay and once we pay, it is non-refundable. Problem is they use their own system to rate hotels and try to rate hotels higher than they actually are ie they sell a product claiming a better than real quality. It is like selling brass claiming it is gold. I chose for 2.5 star category but was given a hotel that has been rated 2 star by every other source of such information. It is like I paid for Gold but was given brass and Hotwire claims it is gold because their system rates it as gold. They need to be forced to adopt some external source of rating or they must tell the name of the hotel in advance.

Beware of Fraud

from Nashville, TN

Comments about Hotwire.com:

My bank is investigating and charging Hotwire with fraudulent charges over 1,000$. I booked a hidden name hotel with this site, Hotwire, and was told it would be comparable to Hilton, Sheraton, or Four Seasons. The hotel I was given was Clarion Inn and Suites. There was a giant broken window when I arrived with a piece of plywood over it. The shower in my room was filled with mildew and it was leaking. There was no bathtub. The shower faceplate was broken. The front desk manager switched us to a room on the 4th floor, but when the manager found out he kicked us out because that was too nice for our "rate" , although the rooms were exactly the same, minus the mildew, but both rooms smelled. We moved our things two times. I attempted a new reservation with hotwire via phone, but they said it wouldn't go through. Although my debit card and Hotwire removed 6 charges from my account for the "attempted" reservation! We ended up staying at a different hotel altogether. Because of the two rooms my family ended up staying in, the first two rooms at the first horrible hotel that needed to be refunded, I paid for 16 rooms through Hotwire!! I found out the next night when I tried to make a new reservation for my family, because my debit card was near empty. I called Hotwire, and they told me it would take up to a week for my money to be refunded if it was error on their part. I explained that I was in a strange city, far from home, with 6 children and pregnant and I needed a place to stay that night but because of their fraudulent charges I didn't have money for that nights stay. They refused to help me. I told them to get me a room or two, since I have a large family, with Hotwire credit since it was there fault. They didn't care if my 6 little children slept on the street or in my car that night! They wouldn't help. I had to drive hours back to my home, arriving after midnight because I had no other options and no other credit card/debit card to use.

Agree with all the negative reviews and then some...

from Toronto, Canada

Comments about Hotwire.com:

Terrible experience yet again! Should not have given it the second chance. It has confirmed that it is an absolute rip off ! Not only can you get the same price without the blind booking on other sites or directly with the hotel but this time they booked a twin bed for my husband and I instead of the requested king. Big surprise at the check in, especially when the clerk refused to do the upgrade because of the bad experience they themselves have with Hotwire. Since we are two tall people ( over 6 ft) we ended up paying more money to have a reasonable sleep. The Hotwire help line was totally unhelpful and upsetting, repeating their mantra that we should be happy they arranged for such a great price...Never again. Do not book with Hotwire !

Hotwire is doing dishonest business

from MD

Comments about Hotwire.com:

I booked an ocean front room for two days in Ocean City through Hotwire. I clearly requested an Ocean front hotel room. I asked the agent to confirm this is an ocean front room before I pay. He clearly knew he had to hind the truth otherwise I wouldn't book the room. He even said "this is the last ocean front room, if you don't book it today, the price will be higher later. I confirm that it will be a ocean front room" The guy intended to hind the truth that the room will be randomly assigned and it will not be a guaranteed ocean front. I trusted what he told me and happily arrived at the hotel. the truth is I didn't get what I was expected. it was a street view hotel room for two nights. The way they are doing business is dishonest. I contacted the customer service and asked to speak to the manager. he said sorry that is what you were supposed to get. no resolution for this matter. the underline message is I have to suck it up. the only promise I got is they will respond to me in 3-5 days later after investigation. I will never book anything through Hotwire from this very unpleasant experience.

Scammers

from Vancouver, WA

Comments about Hotwire.com:

I used hotwire a few times for car rentals and have had no problems. I have also used them for a hotel. I used them recently. My mother passed away suddenly and I had to fly out to be with my family. There were a few of us traveling from different areas. I rented a car for my sister. They "lost" my reservation, they emailed and said it was cancelled by me??? I then had to make another reservation. So they could never locate the lost or cancelled reservation. I was charged two separate amounts. I have spent at least 7-8 hours on the phone trying to get this taken care of. They will never let you speak with a manager, they are redundant when you are trying to get anything taken care of. I then emailed their customer support with the credit card statement and said, we only had one reservation. They emailed me back, saying too bad you have to pay for both. What kind of business practice is that? I told them they are crooks and thieves. I urge you not to use them. I looked at their reviews just today and they are pretty bad. I would rate them less than a star if I could.

I would not ever use this site-they don't refund

from SC CA

Comments about Hotwire.com:

Don't need to wast my money and throw it away..no refunds if the hotel is creepy scamming you and taking booking money and holding credit cards for made up charges

HOTWIRE IS THE WORST - Bait & Switch Business

from Long Beach

Comments about Hotwire.com:

I just booked a promotional deal in Del Mar at a 5 star resort for this weekend. I wanted to stay at the same hotel as my family so I was under the impression that I was booking the same hotel since Hotwire showed the name, image and price for booking the two nights. Once I finished booking the reservation online, a whole different hotel name showed up. I called customer service immediately to speak with a supervisor. Sharah, who was the supervisor in charge, was absolutely no help at all and said there was nothing she could do. I will never use nor recommend anyone to use Hotwire. The way they conduct business is dishonest with their bait & switch methods.

Never again

from Houston, TX

Comments about Hotwire.com:

Reserved a car with unlimited mileage (or so was indicated) only to realize that upon returning the car from a very long trip i was charged for every single mile. Hotwire support is absolutely useless and basically said "sorry, we actually don't guarantee anything when you book a car". Perfect.

Never again.

Refuse refund to deploying military

from Travis AFB Ca

Comments about Hotwire.com:

This company accepted a cancellation request and then refused to refund the money due to having received military orders. I've never witnessed a worse company. Absolutely awful. If your think about using this to save money, just know that they will steal your money from you in anyway that they can.

Very bad website

from Oklahoma

Comments about Hotwire.com:

Very bad website, rude rude rude customer service, extremely unprofessional

Horrible

from SC

Comments about Hotwire.com:

Horrible customer service- searched for a hotel in one area and they gave me results for a hotel in another area with a very similar name- when I asked to cancel due to the name similarities they refused!!! They took the money and ran!