1.8

Pros

Cons

• Features:
    • Customer Service:

You can get "hot" deals at www.hotwire.com if you are flexible

**Background**My family likes to travel. And, when we travel, we like to have all of the luxuries of home. With small children, we now find ourselves opting for home rentals instead of hotels where possible. It costs a little more, but it is worth it to have a living room, DVD player, private pool, option to eat-in, etc. It also really helps with nap time-- you arent trapped. So, this has reduced our usage of www.hotwire.com. (Unfortunately, we cant get home rentals on hotwire. ;() However, we still use it often!

**Using Hotwire to accommodate our travel**In the past, when childless, we used hotwire.com a lot for hotel reservations. We could often get a 4 star hotel for sometimes up to 50% off. Think Westin for like $80-$100 per night. Likewise with airlines. When we didnt care about traveling in the wee-hours of the night, we would book on hotwire.com and often get a great bargain. Most times up to $50-$70 off the price if purchasing directly.

Now that we have small kids, we use hotwire.com mostly for rental car bookings. We have an upcoming trip scheduled and we needed a car that fits 4 adults and 2 kids. Generally a car that size is NOT CHEAP for the week. I looked on Avis, Hertz and others and found the car we wanted. It was over $1,000 for the week. I went on hotwire.com, selected the same category of car, and got it for $250. Now, that's a bargain!

**How it works**Hotwire.com is kind of like priceline. You do a search, specify the class of hotel or car that you want, and it tells you the current going rate. You can not, however, select your vendor or the specific hotels. Example: You know you will get an SUV, but you dont know if it will be a caddy and from Hertz. Likewise, you know you will get the flight for $200, but you dont know if you will go at 2am or 2pm and if it is on American or United. So, you need to be flexible to use the service.

Consider hotwire.com in your search for travel if you have flexibility. You can often catch some really great deals. It is risky on flights, but less risky on cars.

Tip: Check on the comparison websites to see what general flight times there are for the dates you want to travel. This then let's you know the real risk you may encouter.

Hotwire sucks

I used Hotwire.com to book hotel using a feature where we choose a category of star rating for a given price but name of the hotel is not given until we actually pay and once we pay, it is non-refundable. Problem is they use their own system to rate hotels and try to rate hotels higher than they actually are ie they sell a product claiming a better than real quality. It is like selling brass claiming it is gold. I chose for 2.5 star category but was given a hotel that has been rated 2 star by every other source of such information. It is like I paid for Gold but was given brass and Hotwire claims it is gold because their system rates it as gold. They need to be forced to adopt some external source of rating or they must tell the name of the hotel in advance.

HOTWIRE IS THE WORST - Bait & Switch Business

from Long Beach

Comments about Hotwire.com:

I just booked a promotional deal in Del Mar at a 5 star resort for this weekend. I wanted to stay at the same hotel as my family so I was under the impression that I was booking the same hotel since Hotwire showed the name, image and price for booking the two nights. Once I finished booking the reservation online, a whole different hotel name showed up. I called customer service immediately to speak with a supervisor. Sharah, who was the supervisor in charge, was absolutely no help at all and said there was nothing she could do. I will never use nor recommend anyone to use Hotwire. The way they conduct business is dishonest with their bait & switch methods.

Never again

from Houston, TX

Comments about Hotwire.com:

Reserved a car with unlimited mileage (or so was indicated) only to realize that upon returning the car from a very long trip i was charged for every single mile. Hotwire support is absolutely useless and basically said "sorry, we actually don't guarantee anything when you book a car". Perfect.

Never again.

Refuse refund to deploying military

from Travis AFB Ca

Comments about Hotwire.com:

This company accepted a cancellation request and then refused to refund the money due to having received military orders. I've never witnessed a worse company. Absolutely awful. If your think about using this to save money, just know that they will steal your money from you in anyway that they can.

Very bad website

from Oklahoma

Comments about Hotwire.com:

Very bad website, rude rude rude customer service, extremely unprofessional

Horrible

from SC

Comments about Hotwire.com:

Horrible customer service- searched for a hotel in one area and they gave me results for a hotel in another area with a very similar name- when I asked to cancel due to the name similarities they refused!!! They took the money and ran!

a motelier's perspective

from Melbourne, Australia

Comments about Hotwire.com:

We are reputable moteliers who pride themselves on offering comfortable, clean rooms at reasonable rates. Hotwire undercuts our rates and leaves us with no working profit, without consulting us. We have no contractual relationship with Hotwire. Consequently, we have decided not to honour bookings from Hotwire, since they will be the only ones making money from the transaction. Guests will be turned away and, unfortunately, need to find alternate accommodation. This is not a decision we take lightly but the alternative is working for places like Hotwire until we enter receivership

Not what was advertised

from Las Vegas, NV

Comments about Hotwire.com:

This was my first and last experience with Hotwire. Hotwire advertised a Hot Rate Hotel. I needed 2 rooms so I needed to call customer service to book the room. In the description of the hotel and room it stated the room had a kitchenette.
Upon booking the room I specifically asked the booking agent about the kitchenette. We discussed it was more than a small frig and a microwave. He assured me it had a stove, frig, microwave and was a full kitchenette.
We discussed this further, as I enquired if the hotel had breakfast. It did not. Therefore a kitchenette was important, as we where traveling with children. I booked the hotel and immediately received confirmation. I looked up the hotel and the rooms only have a frig and a very very small microwave. I dialed Hotwire immediately. I was put on hold for 35 minutes. I hung up and dialed again. The girl, Abby rudely explained I had lost my place in the que because I hung up and would have to wait again for customer service. I waited again 25 minutes longer.
I called another number and was offered to receive a call back. When Mary from the Philippians returned my call she called the hotel and confirmed that the room had a frig and microwave. However, they would supply a hot plate if needed. I do not consider a hot plate a kitchenette at all. There are not plates, utensils or any other items related to a kitchen in this room.
The remedy Mary offered was that upon check-in if we didn't get a room with a kitchenette, we should call Hotwire and they would find us a room with a kitchen. This is not a good solution. We don't in until 9:00 at night with 2 small children. I don't feel it is an adequate solution. We are scheduling this room a month in advance-therefore, we should know if we are getting a kitchenette or not. I was CLEAR with the booking agent as to what I qualified as a kitchenette.
I want a refund and will book with Priceline, as I always get what I want with them

Bad Experience, Terrible Customer Servise

from Houston, Texas.

Comments about Hotwire.com:

Very bad website, rude rude rude customer service, extremely unprofessional "if you understand them", unwilling to help, they even hang up on me when I asked to speak to a supervisor. I will never use this website again. BE AWARE!!

Never rent from Hotwire

from Ohio

Comments about Hotwire.com:

I would not use Hotwire, they do not stand for what they say. I rented a car through Hotwire (Hertz) I was quoted $129.36 for July 2, return on July 8, 2016. When I got to the Hertz counter they said my charges were $480.00. I showed then my paperwork and they said I would have to contact Hotwire. I did and they said that my confirmation number was not valid. It ended up I had to rent from National Car Rental for $449.00. When I got home I contacted Hotwire on July 10, I was told to send my confirmation to them. I did. On July 20 I contacted Hotwire again and they said they were still reviewing this. On July 30 I contacted Hotwire again they now want the receipt and a copy of my credit card statement.
When I was going through all this at the airport, I was told never to go through Hotwire, that they do not honor their agreements, plus it was a holiday weekend they would not honor such a low price. Hertz has already charge my card for $80.00. So a rental car was very expensive. After this you should just go directly to the rental agencies

70% ABOVE DAILY RATE ADDED IN FEES

from SAN DIEGO

Comments about Hotwire.com:

Beware of the FEES ! There are zero chance of a refund after your card processes.
70% Fees above the daily rate on my rental car!! Wish I had taken a min to google the reviews. There are multitues of bad one from mutiple site!!
It was cheaper to go directly though Hertz when I needed an extention.