2.8

Cons

• Features:
    • Customer Service:

No secrets with Hotels.com

I do a lot of travelling and, like a lot of people these days, I do most of my booking online. A few years ago I started using **Hotels.com**, and have...Read complete review

I do a lot of travelling and, like a lot of people these days, I do most of my booking online. A few years ago I started using **Hotels.com**, and have never looked back.

My first experience with **Hotels.com** was several years ago when I made last-minute plans to travel from New Zealand to Florida, to spend Christmas with my folks. A word to the wise: "last-minute" and "Christmas travel" should never, ever become a reality in your life, if you have any interest in remaining sane. Anyhow, the only flights I could get in order to make it to Tampa on Christmas day involved flying from Wellington, NZ, to Auckland, NZ, to Los Angeles, and arriving in Washington D.C. late on Christmas Eve. The first flight from D.C. to Tampa wasn't until 7 am, Christmas day. I could not, for the life of me, find a vacant hotel room in D.C. that wouldn't bankrupt me. Via **Hotels.com**, not only did I find a moderately-priced room, but an extra $15 got me round trip shuttle service. After having flown for 18 hours, the last thing I needed was to figure out how to get from Dulles to my hotel in the snow. At night. All went without a hitch - the shuttle was there when my third flight of the day landed. Within 20 minutes, I was in my hotel room, taking a shower and getting ready for a decent night's sleep. The next morning, the shuttle picked me up and dropped me off at Dulles in plenty of time for my flight to Tampa. No worries, and the whole D.C. detour cost me about $85, including the shuttle. On Christmas Eve/Day!!!

**No surprises**

Some discount hotel booking sites promise a discount, but don't actually tell you what hotel you're booking, until after you've committed and given your credit card details. I found this to be the case with Priceline and a few others: the best they'll do is tell you they can place you in a 4-star room for $120 a night that's "close to Times Square." I'm sorry, but that's not good enough for me. Being from NYC, I know that "close to Times Square" could mean a great, conveneint location,or a really awful and unsavory location that I wouldn't want to walk around in at night. This is true of every city in the world.

**Hotels.com** doesn't make anything a secret. Basically, you type in the city you're interested in visiting, or even a landmark, and they list hotels in that area - *names and all* -  that have rooms available at a discount. You can filter by distance to a particular landmark, price, or by star rating. For each hotel they handle, Hotels.com provide information, photos, sometimes virtual tours, a full list of amenities, and customer reviews. Of course, they also list rates for different types of rooms.

Booking directly with **Hotels.com** is simple. You can open an account or just book as a guest. I've never opened an account, because I don't really have any need for Hotels.com spam. Even without an account, it takes just a few minutes to book, and email confirmation is immediate.

I know that other sites - the ones where you aren't allowed to know what hotel you're booking until you've commited - guarantee the lowest prices. But, you know what? I've always found good deals on **Hotels.com** and, even if I end up paying a few more bucks per night than I may have using Priceline, I think it's worth it, because there are no surprises.

**Some tips**

Don't *just *look at **Hotels.com**. Check out other sites that are transparent about hotel bokings. Include the hotel site, itself. For instance, if you want to stay at the Honolulu Hilton, check out the the rates on a standard room for your specific dates at the Hitlon website. Then check with Expedia or Travelocity. Last, check the same dates with **Hotels.**com. Most times, **Hotels.com** will have the lowest rate for the same room. If they don't and you have documentation of someone offering it for a lower rate, **Hotels.com** will match that rate. It pays to do your homework.

**Recent experience**

More recently, I had my heart set on staying at one of the Jois de Vivre hotels for a holiday weekend. Very upscale. The prices for that weekend spiked on the Jois de Vivre site, but **Hotels.com** kept the discounted rate. I saved $40 a night by comparative shopping and using **Hotels.com** to book.

**Hotels.com** is an "old reliable", as far as I'm concerned.

Disappointing

I booking a room last summer. When arriving at midnight it was absolutely not what we had ordered. I called customer service but was stuck listening to music for half an hour. I just wanted to sleep but not in that room because it was HORRIBLE. Was luckily able to get the room I ordered for a little extra from the resort. I understand these things might just happen once in a blue moon or so I assume but I didn't like how Hotels.com Handeled the situation. They didn't want to accept fault and offered me a few bucks off my next booking which is weird incentive for a first time user with a bad experience, but I guess it was I nice offer none the less. Maybe I will try them again maybe not

Hotels.com scammers

from Florida

Comments about Hotels.com:

Hotels.com sent me an email asking for me to take time to review a booking and the email seemed to imply that I would receive double credit for that particular booking.
So I reviewed the booking. Then I received an email with a "coupon" to redeem for double credit for a future booking within a particular time period.... Not exactly what I expected... but okay, we have another trip planned during the "particular time period"... so I click the link and make the booking....
Now I''m told that the booking was not eligible because it is/was "pay at hotel" booking. I can see that my credit card has been charged. I was not given the option to reserve and pay later... so not sure how it is possible that Hotels.com can say that this booking is not eligible to redeem the coupon. Further, since I clicked to redeem the coupon, why would Hotels.com show me options for claiming/redeeming a COUPON sent by their company that would not be eligible to use for the coupon?
At this point, I''ve been a loyal user... but now that I see they are scamming me, I will be rethinking whether to continue to use their website for my travel needs. I won''t be tricked again. They have deceived me and stolen my time with bait and switch ... not just once... but twice with the same scam and now they have the nerve to say "your coupon is still usable" Hmm No Thank you. I've already wasted enough time on this... beware... Nothing is free... ever....

Happy

from Scotia ny

Comments about Hotels.com:

Great place with indoor pool for winter time. Great jacuzzi an sauna. Family friendly new beds with pillow tops comfortable great hospitality all the way around

Nice Place but Beware the Roaches!

from Ny

Comments about Hotels.com:

The location is great and it is a family and dig friendly place. We just stayed there for a few days and we found two roaches in our hotel room bathroom. While the staff moved us to a different room that same day they did nothing else to compensate for our shock, horror and disgust and the fact that we had to move rooms. We are now so hoping that we do not bring any unwelcome guests back home with us. Very, very disappointed!

Don't bother with Hotels.com

from New Jersey

Comments about Hotels.com:

Terrible customer service will leave you hanging in the middle of the night when ther is a problem. Avoid!

I would use again

from denver colorado

Comments about Hotels.com:

we use this app regularly for stays in hotels I like it plus every tenth night it free

Business Traveler Beware!!!!

from Madison Wisconsin

Comments about Hotels.com:

If sometime goes wrong you may not get reimbursement. I should have read these reviews first. Very very business unfriendly. They incorrectly made out the invoice and after 3 days and 10 phone calls decided that they could not change it. As a result I will not be properly reimbursed and am personally out the money. There customer service is of no use

BED BUGS AND THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO

from ROSEBURG, OREGON

Comments about Hotels.com:

FRIDAY,SEPTEMBER 9, 2016, MY SON,ANDRES, AND i CHECKED INTO THE DOUBLETREE HILTON HOTEL DEL MAR IN SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA. THIS IS A REPUTABLE HOTEL WE SPENT TWO NIGHTS THERE AND CHECKED OUT SUNDAY MORNING SEPTEMBER 11 WE DROVE TO CAMPBELL, CA WHERE ANDRES LIVES AND I TOOK A FLIGHT TO OREGON, WHERE I LIVE .
I STARTED EXPERIENCING ITCHING IN SEVERAL PARTS OF MY BODY BUT THOUGHT NOTHING OF IT UNTIL THEY STARTED TO ITCH WORST EACH AS THE WEEK PROGRESSED. FINALLY ON FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 16, I DECIDED TO GO TO URGENT AND BE EXAMINED. THEY FOUND THAT I HAD BEEN BITTEN BY BED BUGS WHICH HAD NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. THAT SAME DAY,FRIDAY MY WIFE CALLED THE HOTEL TO REPORT THE BED BUGS. BELIEVE IT OR NOT, THEIR RESPONSE WAS IT HAS BEEN A WEEK AND THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO. MY SON AND I HAD TO SEE A DOCTOR AND HE EVEN LOST A DAY OF WORK. THIS ATTITUDE WILL NEVER WIN FRIENDS OF INFLUENCE PEOPLE IN A POSITIVE WAY. WE NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE SO DID NOT EVEN IMAGINE BED BUGS BEING THE CAUSE. IT IS FOR THESE REASONS THATI WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND DOUBLETREE HILTON HOTEL DEL MAR.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Never Again

from King George, VA

Comments about Hotels.com:

Country Inn and Suites in King George, Virginia. This used to be a Holiday inn Express. Checked in to discover the hotel is under major renovation. Its just a mess, lobby looks like a bomb went off, hallways are full of construction material and nasty looking carpet. The refurbished rooms look ok except there are almost no pictures on the wall. The room is very plain. The bathroom ceiling looks like it is going to fall in, there was mold on the walls, mold and dirt surrounding the shower and the tub is so worn that I had to hang on to keep from falling. There is nothing refurbished about the bathroom. The bed is new and firm, no issues with the mattress. When I pulled the sheets back, I found several long black hairs on the sheets. The pillow cases were stained with big yellow blotches, looked like some one had drooled on them. They told me hair some times gets on the sheets from the dryer. (Yuck) They also told me the pillow cases were new and not used. They were clearly stained and they smelled bad, they had not been washed or replaced between customers. When I took my shower in the morning, I discovered that I had plenty of lotion, but no shampoo. Couple that with foul mouthed construction workers and a couple of wandering stoners who thought nothing of smoking a joint as they walked the halls. It may have been the worst hotel experience I have ever had. It will be a long time before I stay in a Holiday Inn property again. This place is simply disgusting. The staff though were pleasant and very aware of the current condition of the hotel and very hopeful for post renovation. The place should have closed down rather than stay open in the middle of this. They did not lower the price for this substandard experience. If there had been room at the Hampton Inn next door, I would be staying there but we are stuff in this place. Not much to choose from near Dahlgren but if you have the option, stay some place else.

Taken for a ride

from Fort Myers, fl

Comments about Hotels.com:

I booked though them and was charged $13 pp, per day for a complimentary breakfast provided by the hotel. Both hotel.com and the hotel itself refuses to do anything about it!

Charging Your Card When You Book Online Is WRONG!

from New Jersey

Comments about Hotels.com:

DO NOT BOOK WITH HOTELS.COM.

My husband and I booked a room at the Cayucos Beach Inn through Hotels.com at 10:10PM after being stuck on highway 1 on the PCH with no cell service. In our desperation and exhaustion, we sought solace at the Cayucos Beach Inn through Hotels.com and we successfully booked. We thought it was odd that Hotels.com charged us as soon as we booked the stay, instead of when we checked in like other sites, but we were desperate. When we arrived, we exhausted all of the "after hours check-in" procedures to no avail and had to find another hotel.

The next morning when the hotel manager flat out refused to refund our money, Hotels.com was helpless. They can't refund without the manager's approval. It has been over a week, and we have not been refunded our money.

I reiterate:
DO NOT BOOK WITH HOTELS.COM.