2.7

Cons

• Features:
    • Customer Service:

No secrets with Hotels.com

I do a lot of travelling and, like a lot of people these days, I do most of my booking online. A few years ago I started using **Hotels.com**, and have...Read complete review

I do a lot of travelling and, like a lot of people these days, I do most of my booking online. A few years ago I started using **Hotels.com**, and have never looked back.

My first experience with **Hotels.com** was several years ago when I made last-minute plans to travel from New Zealand to Florida, to spend Christmas with my folks. A word to the wise: "last-minute" and "Christmas travel" should never, ever become a reality in your life, if you have any interest in remaining sane. Anyhow, the only flights I could get in order to make it to Tampa on Christmas day involved flying from Wellington, NZ, to Auckland, NZ, to Los Angeles, and arriving in Washington D.C. late on Christmas Eve. The first flight from D.C. to Tampa wasn't until 7 am, Christmas day. I could not, for the life of me, find a vacant hotel room in D.C. that wouldn't bankrupt me. Via **Hotels.com**, not only did I find a moderately-priced room, but an extra $15 got me round trip shuttle service. After having flown for 18 hours, the last thing I needed was to figure out how to get from Dulles to my hotel in the snow. At night. All went without a hitch - the shuttle was there when my third flight of the day landed. Within 20 minutes, I was in my hotel room, taking a shower and getting ready for a decent night's sleep. The next morning, the shuttle picked me up and dropped me off at Dulles in plenty of time for my flight to Tampa. No worries, and the whole D.C. detour cost me about $85, including the shuttle. On Christmas Eve/Day!!!

**No surprises**

Some discount hotel booking sites promise a discount, but don't actually tell you what hotel you're booking, until after you've committed and given your credit card details. I found this to be the case with Priceline and a few others: the best they'll do is tell you they can place you in a 4-star room for $120 a night that's "close to Times Square." I'm sorry, but that's not good enough for me. Being from NYC, I know that "close to Times Square" could mean a great, conveneint location,or a really awful and unsavory location that I wouldn't want to walk around in at night. This is true of every city in the world.

**Hotels.com** doesn't make anything a secret. Basically, you type in the city you're interested in visiting, or even a landmark, and they list hotels in that area - *names and all* -  that have rooms available at a discount. You can filter by distance to a particular landmark, price, or by star rating. For each hotel they handle, Hotels.com provide information, photos, sometimes virtual tours, a full list of amenities, and customer reviews. Of course, they also list rates for different types of rooms.

Booking directly with **Hotels.com** is simple. You can open an account or just book as a guest. I've never opened an account, because I don't really have any need for Hotels.com spam. Even without an account, it takes just a few minutes to book, and email confirmation is immediate.

I know that other sites - the ones where you aren't allowed to know what hotel you're booking until you've commited - guarantee the lowest prices. But, you know what? I've always found good deals on **Hotels.com** and, even if I end up paying a few more bucks per night than I may have using Priceline, I think it's worth it, because there are no surprises.

**Some tips**

Don't *just *look at **Hotels.com**. Check out other sites that are transparent about hotel bokings. Include the hotel site, itself. For instance, if you want to stay at the Honolulu Hilton, check out the the rates on a standard room for your specific dates at the Hitlon website. Then check with Expedia or Travelocity. Last, check the same dates with **Hotels.**com. Most times, **Hotels.com** will have the lowest rate for the same room. If they don't and you have documentation of someone offering it for a lower rate, **Hotels.com** will match that rate. It pays to do your homework.

**Recent experience**

More recently, I had my heart set on staying at one of the Jois de Vivre hotels for a holiday weekend. Very upscale. The prices for that weekend spiked on the Jois de Vivre site, but **Hotels.com** kept the discounted rate. I saved $40 a night by comparative shopping and using **Hotels.com** to book.

**Hotels.com** is an "old reliable", as far as I'm concerned.

Disappointing

I booking a room last summer. When arriving at midnight it was absolutely not what we had ordered. I called customer service but was stuck listening to music for half an hour. I just wanted to sleep but not in that room because it was HORRIBLE. Was luckily able to get the room I ordered for a little extra from the resort. I understand these things might just happen once in a blue moon or so I assume but I didn't like how Hotels.com Handeled the situation. They didn't want to accept fault and offered me a few bucks off my next booking which is weird incentive for a first time user with a bad experience, but I guess it was I nice offer none the less. Maybe I will try them again maybe not

Do Not Do Bussiness with Hotels.com

from San Jose, Costa Rica

Comments about Hotels.com:

I booked three rooms with Hotel.com at the Trapp Family Inn in San Jose costa Rica. After checking in we found all three rooms infested with insects. We immediately checked out and checked in at the Holiday Inn. Called Hotels.com a few hours later, explained the situation and asked for a full refund. They said they were sorry and refused any refund. The, moral of this story is do not book with hotels.com. If you have problems with a booking made though them do not expect any help from them. Once they have your money they will not refund any of it under any circumstance.

Never again!

from Sacramento

Comments about Hotels.com:

I have used hotels.com for over 10 years. Never had a problem booking or cancelling. However, last week they lost all my information related to my rewards and future bookings. I had $150 credit toward a hotel, but that is now gone. After 2 phone and 3 online chats, I received no help. The hotels.com headquarters phone line is a joke. No one answers. I cannot believe a major booking agent has such poor customer service.

Do not use this site to book a room

from San Bernardino, CA

Comments about Hotels.com:

I just book a 1 night stay at a local motel and using this booking site it clearly said your cc information will not be used, only for verification purposes. Well surprise, surprise, they charged me the full booking fee! This is a scam operation. DO NOT USE THIS SITE to book a motel room.

Charged after Cancellation

from North Carolina

Comments about Hotels.com:

1st and last time I will be using this site. I cancelled a hotel 2 days before the reservation, well in compliance with the cancellation policy--and I was still charged for 1 night. I have been given the run around by 2 agents, and decided to call the hotel myself. They said that they did not get any cancellation notifications but I have all the email confirmations. The hotel said that I had a room assigned and it looked like someone stayed there, um, no ma'am they did not. Although everyone has been nice and courteous, blaming each other does not get my money back. And I have all the proof I need to get a refund. I really do not want to file fraud charges on this company but it seems to be a running theme that they lack effective and efficient communication.

Hotels.com Customer Service policy downgraded

from Florida

Comments about Hotels.com:

I have used hotels.com for years and was always pleased until this last trip. On a 2 week road trip I booked each night on my phone in the afternoon when we decided on a general location for the night. First deciding by customer rating, then by price. Each morning when checking out I asked for a printed receipt form the hotel to verify that the charges were correct. My husband checked our credit card against the hotel receipts..all matched except one. I called to ask for a credit and was told that it was not possible, the rate must have changed from the time I booked til we checked in? Since I booked it literally 30 minutes before we arrived that didn't sound reasonable especially since the rate on the web was the rate given at the hotel. Customer service must have been farmed out to another country recently because I have never had the responses I received on this call, even after requesting a supervisor who was even more unpleasant. We have our 2 $100 credits so after using them probably will end my 15 year patronage and look elsewhere.

Hotels.com scammers

from Florida

Comments about Hotels.com:

Hotels.com sent me an email asking for me to take time to review a booking and the email seemed to imply that I would receive double credit for that particular booking.
So I reviewed the booking. Then I received an email with a "coupon" to redeem for double credit for a future booking within a particular time period.... Not exactly what I expected... but okay, we have another trip planned during the "particular time period"... so I click the link and make the booking....
Now I''m told that the booking was not eligible because it is/was "pay at hotel" booking. I can see that my credit card has been charged. I was not given the option to reserve and pay later... so not sure how it is possible that Hotels.com can say that this booking is not eligible to redeem the coupon. Further, since I clicked to redeem the coupon, why would Hotels.com show me options for claiming/redeeming a COUPON sent by their company that would not be eligible to use for the coupon?
At this point, I''ve been a loyal user... but now that I see they are scamming me, I will be rethinking whether to continue to use their website for my travel needs. I won''t be tricked again. They have deceived me and stolen my time with bait and switch ... not just once... but twice with the same scam and now they have the nerve to say "your coupon is still usable" Hmm No Thank you. I've already wasted enough time on this... beware... Nothing is free... ever....

Happy

from Scotia ny

Comments about Hotels.com:

Great place with indoor pool for winter time. Great jacuzzi an sauna. Family friendly new beds with pillow tops comfortable great hospitality all the way around

Nice Place but Beware the Roaches!

from Ny

Comments about Hotels.com:

The location is great and it is a family and dig friendly place. We just stayed there for a few days and we found two roaches in our hotel room bathroom. While the staff moved us to a different room that same day they did nothing else to compensate for our shock, horror and disgust and the fact that we had to move rooms. We are now so hoping that we do not bring any unwelcome guests back home with us. Very, very disappointed!

Don't bother with Hotels.com

from New Jersey

Comments about Hotels.com:

Terrible customer service will leave you hanging in the middle of the night when ther is a problem. Avoid!

I would use again

from denver colorado

Comments about Hotels.com:

we use this app regularly for stays in hotels I like it plus every tenth night it free