Other Meat & Seafoods:
Hormel
Hormel Spam (meat in a can)

Hormel Spam (meat in a can)

Don't knock Spam (meat) in a can unless you've tried it

I could not believe that some of my college students had never tried Spam meat in a can. Really, I thought everyone had Spam sandwiches growing up. I would guess that it's a southern thing (and it is), but I've read that Hawaiians eat more Spam than any other state. Go Hawaii!

Spam was developed during the War for the military. Hormel took ham and pork (spare parts - yep - like hot dogs) and ground them up and canned them. They add some sugar and salt . . . a little water. The meat is formed into a loaf. It's jammed in a can. Walaa . . . Spam in a can.

My mountain relatives can meat, so meat in a can (a jar for home canned) is nothing new. I suppose it's a bit novel in some areas, though Spam is now celebrating its 70th year. Happy Birthday Spam!

I don't buy Spam very often, but my boys do like it. The southern way to cook it is to slice it and then fry it in a frying pan. Then, serve it on white bread with yellow mustard. The key to really good Spam sandwiches is to fry it somewhat crisp. Actually I like mine almost burned. In a big family, there were advantages to liking things overcooked. I ate a lot of over-dark toast, meat, and so on. I still eat the stuff that gets cooked more than others like it.

Spam can also be cooked on a grill and served on a bun. It is poor man's hamburger.

The best thing about Spam is getting it out of the can. You pop the top and then shake and shake. Then, you get a knife and poke a hole in the bottom of the can to allow some air flow. It pops right out with a little WHOSH. In a small town, that's a big time.

Spam me,sometime.

I like spam for what it is,for me.A go-to staple in hard times.I would never want to eat it daily or weekly.I never ate it growing up(poor middle class) because mom is a from scrach cook.When we moved to florida we had some cans of spam with cheese in the old evacuation box..When the hurricanes came,we left the beach and went to motels inshore(with no power)We ate spam,crackers,pork and beans,green beans and pudding snacks.We did this during our 3 evacuations.It dont taste "bad".It tastes like well,,spam.....I'm sure my granpa ate it in the war...And,I know folks from the south love to fry it.But,anything fried is good ya'll..

The Only Kind of Spam That I Actually Enjoy!

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about Hormel Spam (meat in a can):

When I lived in San Diego I always laughed when I saw Spam on a menu. Canned meat? Served in a restaurant? Because there is a huge Hawaiian presence in the Southern California region a lot of places that serve plate lunches there offer Spam. The first time I had a grilled Spam sandwich I was blown away with the taste of it; I expected it to taste rubbery or have an extremely salty taste but it was a lot better than I expected.

Now there are tons of different flavors of Spam to choose from but for grilling or making a pan-fried sandwich, the original flavor is the best one to use.

This isn't the healthiest thing to eat on a regular basis because of the amount of sodium in it. A two ounce serving has 760 milligrams of sodium which is almost one third of what you should be consuming per day. Two ounces of Spam isn't a lot so it's extremely easy to exceed the recommended serving amount. A two ounce serving contains 170 calories, 15 grams of fat, 760 milligrams of sodium, 2 grams of carbohydrates and 7 grams of protein.

When we tailgate I always grab a couple of the larger cans of Spam to grill; the taste is amazing and it makes for a nice change of pace from burgers. You need to thick-slice it to prevent it from breaking into pieces while grilling it and it really helps to have the grill as hot as possible so that it doesn't stick.

Spam: The Other White Meat

Comments about Hormel Spam (meat in a can):

Spam has no doubt been given a bad rap. No one picks meat in a can as first choice, but Spam is different. I slice it up and fry it for a quick protein for a sandwich. The kids eat it without asking what it is. It's not mystery meat. It's processed like bologna but with a different flavor altogether. Sometimes I heat in the microwave or fry it up with eggs. I have even been known to chop it up and use it as a salad topping instead of ham. The only negative I can say about it is the sodium content but even that is not arguable now because they have a lower sodium version which I buy too. It's really delicious no matter how you slice it. Love trying it different ways. Your family will love it and you will love the cost. Goes a long way.

Spam in a can?

Comments about Hormel Spam (meat in a can):

I never thought I would be eating meat in a can, but when I tried spam, I loved it. It actually has a pretty good flavor plain, but a spam sandwich... AMAZING! Who knew? The best thing about this Hormel Spam (meat in a can) is that it's cheap, easy to find, and quick.

Spam is great in many ways.

Comments about Hormel Spam (meat in a can):

Whenever I decide that I need some protein and a quick snack, I open a can of Spam Light. It is not salty, and it is great fried, chopped with Miracle Whip, and is good in pasta dishes. I like the Turkey Spam, as well. It is a good thing to keep in your Lazy Susan when there is no other meat in the house. I can always figure out something delicious with Spam.

Quick and easy.

Comments about Hormel Spam (meat in a can):

I love how many things you can make with spam, it is so easy to cook and taste great. Buy this item and you won't be disappointed. You can make grilled cheese with it or just eat it with Mac and cheese or just eat it alone. Don't buy a different brand it won't compare to spam.

THE FOOD OF THE GODS~!

from Las Vegas, NV

Comments about Hormel Spam (meat in a can):

The only reason I didn't give Hormel Spam a 5 is because it isn't the original Spam that I used to eat as a kid.
It is not the most popular food in Hawai(ai) for no reason, it makes champion surfers out of landlubbers!

Seriously tho', the only thing better than (original) Spam is bacon flavoured Spam!!!

..........................................LONG LIVE SPAM!!!.................................

Good meat in a can

from Las Vegas, NV

Comments about Hormel Spam (meat in a can):

I don't understand people who don't like spam.  you can mix it with eggs, potatoes, or make a spam sandwich.  it's easy to open and easy to cook.  you can store it for a long time before opening it.  spam is also inexpensive. WOW for SPAM

Hormel Turkey Spam adds great taste to casseroles

from Sheboygan, WI

Comments about Hormel Spam (meat in a can):

Mix in cubed turkey spam,a couple cans cream or chicken (or) mushroom soup,Mexicorn (or) your favorite veggie and your favorite type of cooked macaroni and bake untill good and bubbley and cool enough not to burn your mouth and ENJOY!

100% white lean turkey. NO trans fat.

It's my comfort food.

from 238339

Comments about Hormel Spam (meat in a can):

Love SPAM. I like it best when it's heated in the microwave.  College all-nighters, hearty breakfasts with the family. It's more than just sustenance. :) For those who want cool spam recipes, there's a free iphone app you have to check out:

Spam quick meals

from Paris, AR

Comments about Hormel Spam (meat in a can):

Single parent raising four kids and working a full time job, needed quick and cheap meals. Spam was cheap and could make a meal to feed five. One of  my kids favorites was open face sandwiches  , which was spam grated ,with pickles diced, onions, 2 boiled eggs, mayo , half hamburger bun, and grated cheese . Put mixture on half a bun and put in oven for about  5 mins at 325 " then add grated cheese till melts. Serve with side dish of choice. Quick in expensive low carbs and good. There is so many dinners you can make out of a can of Spam. My kids now grown with kids of their own I find them self now using Spam and my grand-kids loving it. My grand-kids like spam diced in scramble eggs. Instead of tuna cassarole try a spam cassarole. Instead of ham and cheese omlet spam and cheese omlet.