3.8

3.8

Pros

Cons

Nice product to own

I had been suffering from allergies for many years and finally went to see the doctor about it.  After a a full consultation, one of the recommendations that the doctor made was to purchase and air purifier and let it run constantly in our bedroom.  We went to target and purchased this air filter and we really like it.  The reson why we purchased a "tower" is because of the small footprint it takes up. It can fit in any corner or next to a dresser.  When this purifier operates at its lowest seting it is very quiet.  At its highest level its quite loud.  It does come with an ionizer function, but our doctor told us not to run the ionizer as it can cause lung damage.  I'm not sure what her reasoning was on that but we've never run it. Aside from purifying the air it also makes for a great air circulator in the summer time to help cool us off at night. And if you have noisy neighbors next door the air purifier at it's highest setting makes for great whie noise to fall asleep to! The filters are inexpensive and quite easy to change. I definately would recommend.

Ok note sure if it worked

I bought this air purifier about 1 year ago when the pollen load was high and my allergic rhinitis was acting up.  I like the sleek black design and the fact that it...Read complete review

I bought this air purifier about 1 year ago when the pollen load was high and my allergic rhinitis was acting up.  I like the sleek black design and the fact that it had a remote control.

Also there were additional features like the ionizer which seemed great.  Unfortunately I was never sure if it worked.  Initially I did feel like the air was easier to breathe...but when I turned on the ionizer - I found that I had frequent dry and sore throats.

I checked the removable filters to see if it was working but they looked as clean as the day I installed them! However, when I did use it in a room smaller than 180ft (about 150sqft), there was less dust accumulation on the floor and furniture

The remote control worked well at a good distance and can be operated at least 6 to 8 feet away.

However, with the removable filters (need 2 at a time), I guess the cost could add up.  The manual stated that they should be changed every 2 -3 months.

All in all, I think that it works ok..just don't use the ionizer too often (I would turn it on and leave the room and then come back and turn it off).  But it is aesthetically pleasing and cheaper than Bionaire

There are better options.

from Kansas

Comments about Holmes HEPA Type Tower Air Purifier:

The Holmes HEPA Tower Air Purifier is average. In my previous apartment, my neighbors were heavy smokers and the smell would frequently travel over to my apartment. I picked this up for a fairly low price. I should not have expected it to be that great due to the low price. It is not a bad product but there are much better ones out there.

This purifier is easy to set up if you follow the instructions. It does not take up much space, which is great in a small apartment. This device is a little louder than I would prefer. If you put it on the high setting it get's fairly annoying. When the filter begins to get dirty the noise the device makes gets louder, so if you notice a change in noise it may be time to change your filter. It did an okay job of eliminating some of the smoke smell from my apartment.

This is an okay air purifier. It is nothing special but it does its job fairly well.

Filter Availability
You can find the filters online

So Easy

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Holmes HEPA Type Tower Air Purifier:

I absolutely love my Holmes HEPA Type Tower Air Purifier. My husband and I had one in our bedroom and recently purchased the exact same one for our son's bedroom. It has 3 different speeds, and I love the top speed most because it serves to create white noise and block out other sounds, which helps all of us sleep better.
The tower design is so sleek, especially compared to boxier brands that we have had in the past. I love that it fits discreetly in the corner and it not a visual focal point of the room.
My favorite feature is the HEPA air filter that can be cleaned simply by vacuuming it out. It is easy to remove and snap back into place.
Everyone in my family suffers from serious allergies and even sinus and mild asthma. The Holmes Air Purifier keeps us off of medicine and away from the doctor's office. I love it!

Ease of Maintenance
So easy to clean

Dust/Allergen Removal
Love it

No problems so far, and I bought my first one over 4 years ago.

Great at trapping dust and germs.

The tower is the perfect design, classy and discreet.

Better than expected

Comments about Holmes HEPA Type Tower Air Purifier:

Working very well at removing allergens and pet odors from my home. A bit noisy on the highest setting. Tower design is space saving and not unpleasant in my decor. Has a nice strong air flow but not overwhelming or annoying. I am very pleased with the purchase.

Ease of Maintenance
Removal of the panel on the front of the machine allows very easy access to the filter and also allows simple and quick cleaning of the panel itself.

Dust/Allergen Removal
We are all breathing a bit easier with this running. Seasonal allergies are brutal this summer but this purifier makes things a little nicer.

Filter Availability
I have not had to purchase a replacement filter as of yet, though the instructions indicate 4-6 months life span on the filter. Currently they are easy to find online.

You can see the dust particles in the air in beams of sunlight. All the little floating dust fiends are headed straight into the trap that is the filter. I feel slightly evil watching them be destroyed.

• Filter Availability:

Worked well for a few months, then smoked up my room!

Comments about Holmes HEPA Type Tower Air Purifier:

At the time that I purchased this machine, I absolutely loved it- it lived up to the claims of removing allergens, particles, and odors. This remained true until about three months into ownership- I turned it on one day, left the room only to smell smoke- ran back into the room and it was smoking and burning rubber! If I had gone in the shower- it might have set things on fire! I called the company and they didn't care at all about the issue and were dismissive. Would not recommend to anyone who is looking for a long-term solution for allergies or odors in the home, no anyone who does not want to sit and what the device to make sure it doesn't catch fire.

Proven Purifier

Comments about Holmes HEPA Type Tower Air Purifier:

I never thought I would find an affordable and proven air purifier for myself and my family but happily this air purifier has been the answer to all of our allergies and respiratory sensitivities. It cleans easily, long lasting and most importantly, this air purifier keeps the air inside my home, safe, clean and clear for myself and my family. Great value.

Holmes Air Purifier

from San Diego, CA

Comments about Holmes HEPA Type Tower Air Purifier:

We have owned our Holmes Air Purifier for about three or four years. It has been reliable for our usage, but we are not everyday users so it might be a different story for people who use theirs more regularly. It seems to clean the air -- our downstairs neighbors are extremely heavy smokers, and we find that running our Holmes air purifier does seem to help with the odor. This is particuarly helpful when it is too cold outside to open the windows to let out the smell of stale smoke. The tower has a small footprint, so it's easy to place around the house. I don't mind the cool air that it blows out; in that sense, this air purifier kind of doubles as another fan for us, which is convenient during warmer weather.

decent, not great

from Minneapolis, MN

Comments about Holmes HEPA Type Tower Air Purifier:

The Holmes Air Purifier with Ionizer HAP424 is a decent air purifier, but not great. I bought this for my parents to use in their bedroom. I does not seem to move a lot of air, so I do not know if it works to reduce dust in the bedroom. Even on high setting, it does not seem to pull and push enough air to purify the room. Maybe it does, but it does not feel like it pushes a lot of air.

The air purifier is easy to set up. Replacing the filter is easy to do, just follow the instruction book. I bought this purifier two years ago and I have not bothered to buy a new filter and replace the original filter.

The noise level on low has a low humming sound. It is noticeable noise for me, but the sound is essentially white noise. On high, the noise level is louder than I would find comfortable. To me, it is too loud on high.

Love this air purifier

from Hudsonville, MI

Comments about Holmes HEPA Type Tower Air Purifier:

I run this in the spring/summer a lot. It keeps the seasonal allergins out of my house and makes breathing so much easier. The hepa filters get everything from pollen to dog hair. Everytime I take out the clogged old ones, I think how glad I am that my little girls weren't breathing that all in.

One of the things I love about this in the summer months, is that one high, it pipes out quite a bit of air. So it can cool down a room. This is a bit of a downside when we run it during cold and flu season, as the area around it cools a bit. But, it does keep the airborne germs down in our house.

I also like that this stands on the floor, so I can put it anywhere-- unlike our smaller one which always sits on an endtable or dresser. And it takes two filters-- so it moves a lot of air.

Nice product to own

from Saint Paul, MN

THIS IS A VERY GOOD PRODUCT FOR THE PRICE

from Turlock, CA

Comments about Holmes HEPA Type Tower Air Purifier:

I HAVE HAD SEVERAL OTHER ROOM AIR PURIFIERS IN THE PAST AND I HAVE HAD THIS ONE THE LONGEST.  THE OTHERS HAVE EITHER BEEN INEFFECTIVE OR HAD COSTLY HEPA FILTERS TO REPLACE. THE HOLMES PURIFIER AND IONIZER HAS BEEN VERY EASY TO MAINTAIN AND CLEAN. IT IS RUNNING 24 HOURS A DAY, 7 DAYS A WEEK FOR THE PAST YEAR OR 2 AND HAS NEVER HAD ANY BREAKDOWN, WE DO KEEP IT CLEANED--AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK.THE OTHER PLUS IS THAT IT RUNS VERY QUIETLY, ESPECIALLY  COMPARED TO OTHER, MORE EXPENSIVE BRANDS.  WE HAVE DUST ALLERGIES IN THE FAMILY AND REALLY REQUIRE A PURIFIER, ESPECIALLY TO SLEEP.  IT WORKS WELL IN A 12X14' BEDROOM AREA. WE HAVE A DOG AND IT ALSO HELPS WITH THE DOGGY ODERS.  WE LIVE IN AN AGRICULTURAL REGION (2ND POOREST AIR QUALITY IN THE COUNTRY!) AND HAVE ALOT OF DUST AND POLLENS IN THE AIR. IT HAS HELPED IN DECREASING THE NEED FOR ANTIHISTIMES AND NASAL ALLERGY REMEDIES AS WELL!  I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS PURIFIER AND IONIZER BY HOLMES.