Other Meat & Seafoods:

Hillshire Farm Smoked Bratwurst

Camp fire memories

from Syracuse, New York

Comments about Hillshire Farm Smoked Bratwurst:

Call it crazy but over the summer I decided to take my 3 children to a camp grounds that was also on the grounds o an amusement park. Because I wanted them to get the experience of " true " camping, I decided to bring S'mores and Smoked Bratwurst. I had only previously tried them in their original flavor. They were pretty good. To be fair, I will say that they were better than decent but not great. I liked the way they were smoked flavored, it help to bring some authenticity to our camping trip itself. I somewhat enjoyed the outer texture of the skin on the Bratwurst sausage. I didn't enjoy all the inward greasiness. With every bite, experienced a mini mouth full of an oily substance. I had to slice them in half and blot the oil out with a coffee filter and paper towels. Once I did though, they were far more enjoyable. Other than that I had no major complaints. The excess oil was easily removed by slicing them open and we ended up enjoying them anyway. Overall, this is not a product I would buy on a regular basis. Mainly because of the oil factor. But, the flavor and texture after the oil was removed was relatively enjoyable.

Easy to cook or grill but plain bratwurst are better.

from southern, NC

Comments about Hillshire Farm Smoked Bratwurst:

I like Hillshire Farms bratwurst sausages, because they are easy to make and taste good. Most often we grill the brats and have them on big buns with spicy mustard.

The Hillshire Farms Smoked Bratwursts are made with pork and beef, and I think they have an all beef version. That wasn't available at Food Lion when I went.

Off the top, I have to say I'm usually not keen on smoke added flavor, although there are some exceptions. If it's Liquid Smoke, then that is what it tastes like - not smoked - just fake smoke and nothing else similar. That, fortunately, was not the flavoring in the Hillshire Farms Smoked Brats. Still, it was not a real smoke taste or not like off the grill anyway.

We boiled our brats (well - simmered really) in beer with butter and onions like usual, and then put the brats on the grill. So, we got some of the grilled smoke taste too. But, the secondary smoke taste was there.

The smoked Hillshire Farms brats aren't bad. If you don't grill, you might like them for a change of pace. I'll stick with the plain ones though and get the real smoke taste with charcoal. Hard to beat that.

Overall, the quality is good with Hillshire Farms as always. These are easy to make up for a meal and are super easy on the grill. Gas grillers might want to give them a try. Charcoal folks really don't need the extra smoke flavor. It's a bit too much to have double smoke there and two flavors fighting each other.