Other Dog Foods:
Dry Dog Food
Hill's Science Diet
Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food (All Varieties)

Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food (All Varieties)

Pros

Cons

great stuff

I have always used Science Diet food for my dogs.  I currently have one dog that is almost 16 years old and still pretty spry for his age.  I just lost another dog at age 15.  I know there are new foods out there that they say are "better" however, according to whay my vet told me 16 years ago when I got my first dog, "Science Diet has the best prescription food out there and that research must trickle down to their everyday food." Since it has been around for so long I also believe that they have the best long-term research into their food.  I have tried other premium brand dog foods and while my dogs ate it with no problem, I noticed their coats were not nearly as nice.  I also noticed my one older dogs having weight issues.

Not nearly as healthy as they'd have you think

We started our dog on Science Diet because it is what she was fed at the shelter. I think they have some sort of agreement with the company for the food--I've seen several shelters with this type of deal. It's great for the shelter animals who would otherwise be fed random donated food, but once I started looking through the things that are actually in the food, we decided to switch.

Here are the first ingredients in the food by weight:

Corn MealChicken By-product Meal (a Source Of Natural Chondroitin Sulfate And Glucosamine)Animal Fat (preserved With Mixed Tocopherols And Citric Acid)Soybean Mill RunFlaxseedChicken Liver FlavorDried Egg ProductDried Chicken Cartilage (a Source Of Natural Chondroitin Sulfate And Glucosamine)TaurineL-lysine

Huh? Science Diet's (Hill's) website does have a page explaining that by-products aren't always a bad thing, but some of the others make me question. SD is CERTAINLY better than other foods, but I would rather feed my pet something that guarantees no fillers, no by-products, etc. We switched her to Blue Buffalo, which is slightly more expensive, but definitely worth it. Her coat has become shinier, she has more energy (not always a good thing ;-) ) and just seems healthier. If you're going to pay the money for Science Diet, it is probably worth it to pay the bit extra and upgrade to a more well rounded food.

Hills Science Diet, healthy and safe for your furry friend!

from Vancouver WA

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Dog Likes It
  • Easy To Digest
  • Improves Coat
  • Nutritional
  • Tasty

Cons

• Expensive

• Active Dogs
  • Larger Dogs
  • Older Dogs
  • Puppies
  • Smaller Dogs
  • Special Needs

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

I was introduced to Hill's Science Diet through my veterinarian when my cat was sick and required a prescription diet. It only made sense to me when I got my puppy that I would feed her the same brand of food.
I'm very satisfied with Science diet. My dog loves it and I feel better knowing that I'm feeding her a high quality safe dog food. We started her on the puppy large breed bites and have since moved her up to the adult large breed. I have never had any concerns or problems with this food and I am confident that it is a good choice for my dog. Two major things that give me piece of mind is knowing that my Veterinarian highly recommends this brand, and that I can read the ingredient label.
It's true this dog food can be a little pricey. I've cringed on more than one occasion when purchasing it. But honestly you get what you pay for. Quality healthy safe food for mans best friend.

Science Diet: recommended by vets; Why?

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

Though very popular among veterinary offices; Hill's Science Diet is sorely lacking in quality ingredients. When deciphering what is in pet food, simply read the ingredients on the label. They are conveniently listed in descending order for amounts of each product. Science Diet contains mostly corn, wheat, rice---very little meat. The meat proteins that are listed are "chicken by-product meal" and "animal fat"--essentially tissue and fat proteins obtained from the tissues of mammals and/or poultry in the commercial processes of rendering or extracting. The nutrition value is extremely poor. Overall, Hill's Science Diet is an extremely over priced pet food with very poor nutritional content.

Quality of Ingredients
The ingredients are extremely lacking in nutritional value--consisting mainly of corn, wheat, even peanut shells. The amount of meat and meat proteins is limited; and sources from which they were obtained are of poor quality.

Hills Science Diet (Adult Light) is good for my dog

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

Hills Science Diet (Specifically the Adult Light product) is good for my dog. About one year ago, my vet recommended this dog food for my dog when she had gained a few unwanted pounds. She wasn't obese or severely overweight, she just had a little extra "jiggle" (don't we all!).

So we all went on a little diet (husband, dog and myself). We all wanted to lose a few pounds and get a little healthier. My husband and I watched our portion control and made much smarter food choices. But our dog would eat whatever we fed her! So we had to be the ones to make the choices.

Hills Science Diet Adult Light was the answer. She likes the flavor (I assume she does because she eats it like she likes it). And when we went back to the Vet in 6 months, he was very pleased with her progress!

Hills is more expensive than a lot of other dog foods. But I think the quality of ingredients is superior. We all make choices on where we spend our money. I think spending it on a high quality dog food is a good choice for us.

• Flavor Selection:

Not nearly as good as I was told it would be.

from lakeland, florida

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

I was told by many people that Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food was awesome and the best food to feed my dogs. I decided to go ahead and buy this food, even though it cost a lot more than other foods. I thought because it was expensive, it had to be better. Well, that logic was very wrong. I had two dogs, a dalmatian and a golden retriever, both with stomach issues. She told me that this food would be great for that issue. Unfortunately, that was not the case. My dogs had serious issues eating this food because it gave them terrible diarrhea from the get go. I was taking them outside constantly and my golden retriever had two accidents in my home overnight, on the carpet (needless to say, I was NOT pleased). I paid way more to buy this food and I got less than I did with the other food, so I was very angry about this. Also, the dogs seemed as though they were bloated. My golden retriever had terrible gas from eating this food and it totally made her miserable. This food made her lethargic, where she was usually energetic and out to have fun all the time. I ended up giving my friend the bag of food, because it wreaked so much havoc on my dog's stomachs. It took me over a week to get them back to normal. At least she paid me for the bag, so it was not a total loss. I actually asked her if her dog had stomach issues and she told me that, no, her dog had an iron stomach! I was so angry! I would NOT recommend this food to anyone with dogs that have issues with their stomachs. The result of my dogs eating this food was not a pleasant experience and I would not want anyone to have to endure what I had to endure.

Good For Older Dogs!

from Ohio

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

My husband and I have two dogs, one is an older Chihuahua and our other dog is a young Yorkshire Terrier. We have just recently introduced Science Diet into their daily meal routine. Our Chihuahua loves it which is great because he was starting to become a bit overweight and struggling with digestion problems. He was also beginning to develop respiratory problems recently due to his age. He has slimmed down quite a bit and we have definitely noticed a difference in his energy levels lately since we started feeding the Science Diet to him. It's good for him and he really likes the food so we are really pleased with Science Diet. Our little Yorkshire Terrier isn't as crazy about Science Diet but she won't turn her nose up to it though. I would highly recommend this dog food specifically to anyone who owns an older dog and isn't quite sure what would be a well-balanced dry dog food that is affordable and beneficial to feed to their senior pet!

Great quality!

Hills Science Diet Dog food

from Easley, SC

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

We used to always use Science Diet for our puppy about 12 years ago and he always loved it, was recommended from our vet. When we got a puppy about 4 months ago, the pound said they fed all their dogs science diet, so we did not hesitate to use it. I went and bought a large bag and we fed her it. All that puppy did was go potty. Every couple of hours. We attributed it to her being in a new home. It continued for almost a week and then I went to the Vet. He told us that it could be the food, so he recommended another brand and I went and bought a small bag of it and tried it after only 2 days she was not going to the potty all the time, after a week she was only going potty 2 times a day shortly after she ate. It was so nice that we know knew she would be going to potty 2 times a day after she ate. She has been eating it ever since and we do not have any more issues she is very regular and is very happy and has gained weight just the way she is supposed to as a sweet puppy!

Quality of Ingredients
too many fillers in the ingredients.

Great product and price!

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

Compared to other "special" dog food brands this is a great price. My dog has allergies and is a picky eater but this food works great for her. She doesn't get ear and paw infections anymore with this food as it doesn't have abnormal amounts of wheat in it. She also will eat it up since they offer the small bites which she prefers.

Flavor Selection
Not a huge selection of flavors for dogs in the different types.

My dog's favorite.

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

I have a four year old 70 pound labrador retriever who loves to eat. There are a lot of cheaper dog foods out there, but when it comes to healthy dog food ingredients, for me it is worth paying extra. Plus, I don't think Science Diet is that expensive when compared to other quality brands.
My dog has had digestion issues in the past, which I believe is somewhat common to his breed, and when I've used other brands you can tell the difference. For example, I tried Iams because it has a good reputation, but it was too rich for him and made him very gassy. He also gets constipated or a loose stool if the dog food doesn't agree with his system.
I buy the light brand, typically the smaller kibble size, because I have found he digests it better, and I worry about him gaining weight since I give him treats throughout the day. I truly believe the light kind is helping to keep him at an ideal weight.

Quality of Ingredients
The chicken is my dogs favorite.

Flavor Selection
Although the regular Science Diet dog food comes in several varieties, I'm haven't come across Science Diet light in flavors other than chicken.

• Flavor Selection:

Great Dog Food that my pets love!

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

Overall my dogs love this dog food. I have two chihuahuas and when I got my first she had been fed a different dry good. When I visited my parents back home she got a taste of Science Diet and never when back! I seriously could not get her to eat her old food. She would only eat science diet.

Quality of Ingredients
Overall this product has good quality ingrediets. It may not be the best out there on the market but I think it has a good balance between good ingrediets and good flavor. My vet says Science Diet is a good brand to feed your pets so I'm sticking with it.

Flavor Selection
As I said before, My dogs love this food. They seriously stopped eating their old food and straight up refused to eat it after tasting science diet. I will also switch it up every once and a while and give them SCience Diet wet food to keep things interesting for them but honestly I think they are perfectly happy with just the dry food.

Great Food!

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

Science Diet was recommended by my veterinarian as a good balanced food for dogs. My dogs loved it! My golden retriever had a weight problem and this food did actually help him get down to a healthier weight. I was pleased and I felt like it kept my dogs happy and healthy for longer than the cheaper brands.