3.7
Hill's Science Diet
Hill's Science Diet Adult Light Dry Dog Food

Hill's Science Diet Adult Light Dry Dog Food

3.7

Dogs love it and lost weight

All three of my dogs were overweight by varying degrees. One was barely above normal weight, one was a little heavier than that, and the third was quite fat as far as dogs her size go. So I had to change it up by buying a better brand and a kind of food more suitable for less active dogs with weight problems. I also had to cut back on the amount I would feed them, both of which helped immensely and quickly. In just a matter of months, the dogs seemed more agile and had noticeably lost quite a few pounds.

Not only that, they were very satisfied with the food. One of my dogs will eat anything but the other two are actually quite picky but they finished their bowls in a matter of seconds, which is actually a rarity. Not only did they seem to enjoy the taste, but the size as well. I was switching to this brand from a brand with much bigger pebbles, three to four times this size, and they would eat much slower because they had a hard time crunching through the large-sized food. But this is much easier for them to eat, and I'm assuming also much easier for them to digest.

Do you really want to know why vets recommend Science Diet?

Science Diet is not a bad dog food.  There are dogs out there who have had problems with it, but there are also dogs who have had problems with other dog food...Read complete review

Science Diet is not a bad dog food.  There are dogs out there who have had problems with it, but there are also dogs who have had problems with other dog food brands as well.

The main reason that you see this food in your vet's office, is because Hill's, the company who makes Science Diet, has vets promoting it, in exchange for little "freebies" that they are given.

Hill's have their fingers in almost piece of the dog industry.  I was in the Air Force (the largest professional, commercial dog kennels in the world at Lackland AFB, Texas), for 15 years as a K-9 handler.  The military dogs were fed a special food, made by Hill's, that was made exclusively for them.  This food was not available to anyone else, not even private veterinarians.  The dog food was high in calories and medicated with heartworm preventative.  Everyone just assumed that these dogs needed a high calorie food, because they were, after all "Working Dogs."  Military Working Dogs and Police Dogs in general, are not that much more WORKING dogs than most of your ordinary housepets.  Nowadays, these dogs ride around in the comfort of a police vehicle, along with their handler.  If the outside temperature gets too hot or too cold, the dog goes back to the 'comfort' of his kennel, while the handler goes back to work, to finish out his shift.

There were more problems with this food than benefits, so about 1990, the Air Force began looking a replacement.  Dogs would get diarrhea often from this food; too much protein and not enough exercise to burn off the calories.  I do not know if the AF ever did replace the food, as I separated the military in 1992.

Basically, what I'm saying, is that there are many other good dog foods on the market.  Decide what you need to accomplish from feeding, read dog food labels, and talk to other dog owners, as to their experiences.  Do not discount a brand just because a few people have had bad luck with it.  Not all dogs do well on every brand; that is why we have CHOICES!  You need to decide for yourself, what it is that YOU and your DOG need from a food.

In my opinion, Hill's and Science Diet, are looking more to make their name more visible to the public, than in actually doing good for our dogs.

Fillers

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Adult Light Dry Dog Food:

This is one of the few "vet recommended" items I've ever had an issue with. I was looking for a high quality dog food to help my dog's sensitive digestive system and while this was recommended by my vet's office, it seemed to contain an awful lot of filler ingredients. I have since switched to a soy and corn free dog food. I did notice general improvements by feeding my dog this brand as opposed to greasier dog foods, but I have noticed even better results by switching again from this brand. If you are interested in a higher quality dog food, I think this is a good starting point. However, I've found that reading the ingredients on my dog's food has proved to be just as beneficial as reading the ingredients for the food I eat too. Upon discontinuing the use of this dog food and switching to a brand with less filler material and basic ingredients, my dog has lost weight and been maintaing a healthy weight for 6+ months.

• Quality of Ingredients:
  • Flavor Selection:

Not only good for my dog, but my dog loves it.

from Placitas, NM

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Adult Light Dry Dog Food:

I currently have both my cats and my dog on the Hill's Science Diet and they love it. I know this because when I got the bags to product test I tried both animals on their own bags and when I tried to go back to their regular food they didn't want it. As soon as I added the Hill's Science Diet back to their bowls they were happy. The one thing I have noticed in both animals is that they are much more playful. I've also noticed the coats of my cats and dog have improved greatly.

it's a food I feel confident to feed my dog

from Oxford, MI

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Adult Light Dry Dog Food:

I volunteer for a dog rescue and I became familiar with many kinds of dog food, after trying few brands we decided that the best one for our dogs is science diet and the light one helped us deal with supraponderal cases, it's worth paying for, our dogs are healthy and their digestiv system works perfectly.

-Feed Science Diet if you want to lessen your dogs life span!

from Fort Worth, TX

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Adult Light Dry Dog Food:

I am a in the pet care buisness and have seen dogs skin go way wrong with Science Diet.... Including my own!  The FDA says dog food has to have a certain amount of protien in thier food before putting it on the shelf.  A lot of food, including SD use corn to raise the protien level.  Corn is 100% NON DIGESTABLE protien and has absolutely no nutritional value to it.  On top of that............ Most dog allergies are caused by corn consumption!  I've also heard that the preservatives use to give SD a long shelf life cause live and kidney disfunction, but I can't prove that.  Anyway, I love my dogs and would never feed them this garbage.  I have saved my clients a ton of money on Alergy shots and visits to the Vet just by switching their food!

Hill's Science Diet Light Formula Canine Maintenance Dog Food

from Bowling Green, OH

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Adult Light Dry Dog Food:

Well, I have a Toy Yorkie and when he started to approach 8 pounds the vet said time for him to cut back. Well, my little Yorkie boy loves to eat, so I knew cutting back on his food was not a good solution for me. When he was a puppy we feed him Hill's Science Diet for puppies and he loved it. So when I was looking at light dog food I wanted to make sure it would be a light dog food that he would like, also I wanted it to have all the nutrition that he needed. Science Diet Light Maintence fit that bill. Our little Yorkie eats it right down and what I really like it comes in small bite size pieces too so little dog's do not have any trouble chewing it. They also have several diffeent flavors so pick the one your little guy would like best.

Hill's Science Diet Adult Light Formula is Not Worth The Money

from Hobart, IN

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Adult Light Dry Dog Food:

I recently purchased this on sale at Petsmart, I had coupons and figured I would try a change to help with some digestive problems my labs were having. While they ate this food fine I noticed that they used the bathroom twice as often as they were when I was feeding them their Natural Balance & Holistic Select. I discovered it was because the main ingredients of this food are JUNK, fillers, meals, corn and other things that you would expect to find in ANY grocery store brand of dog food. The only thing is, is that Science Diet is NOT grocery store food priced! I can't believe that they charge premium prices for this obviously inferior product. I got such a good price that I took the remainig bags I had to the Humane Society. So although my dogs loved it I felt that I was feeding them a bowl of junk food. I would counsel anyone that truly cares about their pets' nutritional needs to do some serious research before they decide on this brand of dog food.

The weight dropped off with Hills Science Diet Light Dog Food!

from Leawood, KS

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Adult Light Dry Dog Food:

My Red Labrador Retriever had put on about 15 extra pounds after having puppies. Her appetite increased incredibly and her activity went down so the pounds kept increasing. She has always been on Hills Science Diet so I didn't want to upset her system by giving her another dog food. I was so happy with the way she responded to the light food. I could give her a comparable amount of food so she didn't feel like she was starving, yet her weight started going down. As a result of her weight loss her energy level increased and she acted like a puppy again! The only thing I would suggest in this food is that they provide a variety of flavors. Copper began to show a bit of disinterest in her food and I am sure it was because she had the same thing every day. One way I changed things up for her is that I would mix a bit of canned light food in with her dry. That got her perked back up! I would definitely recommend this food for your over weight dog!

Unsure About Science Diet Lite

from Cedar Falls, IA

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Adult Light Dry Dog Food:

I have had my lab/collie mix on Hill's Science Diet Lite since October of 2010.  While the dog food has helped us maintain our dog's weight, I am not entirely sure that I like some of the aspects of having my dog on this food.  This is the first time that he has been on the food, and the results are positive as far as weight maintenance goes, but I also kind of feel like it might be making my dog extra grumpy.  He's not so grumpy that it's become a serious problem, but he is somewhat irritable.  Overall though, my dog seems to be doing fairly well being on this food with his weight maintenance.  Hopefully, with continued exercise, we will be able to take him off of this food.  My dog has always been on Science Diet, so the continued positive aspects of Science Diet are still noticeablee while he's been on this food.  His fur is really soft and shiny, his teeth look really clean, his bathroom habits are fairly regular, and overall, he has a lot of energy.  So while I'm not entirely sure if this giving my dog a bit of an attitude problem, I still think that there are a lot of positives to this as well.

Science Diet Light is worth the expense

from Columbus, OH

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Adult Light Dry Dog Food:

I have a 6 year old Basset Hound, and she's been eating Science Diet Light since she was a puppy. We tried a variety of different foods, and she kept having stomach problems. My vet recommended we try Science Diet formula, and I've never looked back. While it may be called "Light" you can feed your dog an amount that simply maintains their weight, instead of trying to get them to lose it. It is for dogs that are prone to weight gain, as Basset Hounds are. People tell me all the time how great she looks, and how her coat is so nice and soft. I give most of the credit to the food (and the rest to twice a month baths). I always wonder if it actually tastes as good as my dog makes it look, because she gobbles it down as soon as I put the bowl in front of her, day after day, year after year. If you shop around you can frequently find this on sale. They also make Science Diet Light Small Bites (same formula, smaller pieces). Occasionally I'll buy it when its on sale if the big pieces aren't.

Don't buy it

from Greenwood Lake, NY

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Adult Light Dry Dog Food:

If your dog needs to lose weight, it's probably because it was being fed kibble all its life.  Science Diet tries to cash in by adding more fillers to their already high carb foods.  Be cheaper and healthier for one to homefeed their dog.  Or at the very least buy a higher end dog food if one must stick with kibble.