Other Garbage Cans & Bags:

Hefty Swing-Lid 13.5-Gallon Trash Can

An Ugly and Messy Addition to My Kitchen

from Chicagoland, IL

Comments about Hefty Swing-Lid 13.5-Gallon Trash Can:

My initial thought when my husband brought home this kitchen trash basket was something along the lines of "wow, that's ugly." I mean, really, a big black trash can doesn't exactly fit into my kitchen decor. On closer look, I thought the center swing lid might be a useful hands-free feature, so I decided to just live with it. Now, after having used the product for a few weeks I'm kind of wishing I had returned it after all.

The Hefty 13.5 gallon trash can is made of a hard, sturdy, smooth plastic and holds a standard tall kitchen trash bag. The unique Swing-Lid design basically divides the lid in half. When you push the trash in through the center of the lid, each half swings in like saloon doors, and then swings back to the closed position. Unfortunately, pushing the trash through the center also means that you're basically rubbing your garbage against the top of the lid while you're trying to deposit it. Therefore, the lid constantly needs to be cleaned (which is tricky; while you're wiping the top, the lid automatically pushes itself in).

Another problem with the Swing-Lid design is that it takes away from space inside the trash can. Since the lid swings inside the can, it bumps against the top of the trash before it can get filled up. Which means I end up cleaning the lid all over again.

On the whole, the **Hefty Swing-Lid 13.5-Gallon Trash Can **has been a real hassle on a daily basis. I get what they were trying to do, but this one needs to go back to the drawing board, and I need to go back to the store to find a replacement.