Other Frozen Foods:
Low Calorie Entree, Frozen Dinner
Healthy Choice

Frozen Food That Doesn't taste That Way

My honey deserted me for the last two weeks in favor of her father on the other coast. After a week of snacks. eating out, and emptying the freezer and refrigerator I went to the store. One of the things I brought home (not a gourmet cook gene in this body) was a new freezer item from Con Agra, the massive food conglomerate. This is a new entry in their Healthy Choice brand of frozen dinners and entrees. It is called **Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers** and comes in twelve exciting varieties. Since it was new to me I just got one. I have discovered it is new to everyone so I wanted to share my wonder at this fun and tasty new arrival. The one I brought home is called **Grilled White Chicken & Roasted Red Pepper Alfredo Sauce.** Not a very fancy name, but the product is super easy to prepare and, frankly, belies its freezer underpinnings.

It comes in a package about 8" square and is a meal for one. That suited me just fine. It has a total of 240 calories so other things could be added on the side unless you are on a starvation diet. The sodium is a little high at 600 mg, but the saturated and trans-fats are 0. Prep is simple. Take off the outer cover, put the package in the microwave on high for 3 1/2-4 minutes - no poking or other bothersome things to worry about - let it sit for 2 more minutes, carefully pull off the clear plastic steaming cover, take the inner steaming bowl out and dump its contents into the bottom sauce bowl, stir, and eat.

And eating is a real surprise. There were four strip of white chicken breast,  a lot of florets of broccoli, some medium cut flat pasta, a few red peppers and, of course, the Alfredo sauce. The chicken pieces were tender and flavorful, not tough like most frozen entrees. The pasta was perfectly al dente, the broccoli was soft on the outside and crisp in the center, unlike that mushy stuff in most frozen dinners, and the sauce freshly tossed over all of it was just right. In other words it just didn't taste like a frozen dinner.

The secret is in how the packaging and cooking is done. These little wonders come in two bowls, one nestled inside and above the other. The top bowl has all the major ingredients with holes in its bottom for the steam. The bottom bowl has the liquid for steaming which is also the sauce. The whole is tightly covered with an expandable piece of plastic that allows the steam to fill the container. The main ingredients are steamed fresh and then the top is added to the bottom and stirred to cover it with the sauce. At least for this one it works very well, is quick, and it is delicious, I can't wait to try some of the other varieties.

Healthy Choice is the wrong choice

Healthy Choice just does not cut it for me.  Their chicken is often spongy in texture and taste and leaves you wondering what the chicken is even made of.  A lot of their meals are not marked or even mentioned as being spicy and some have been so spicy they are inedible.

I am sticking with Lean Cuisine.  Much better quality overall.

The beef ones are o.k.  Not the best.

My favorite thing about Healthy choice are the bits of roasted garlic on some of the meals.  They rock

from Baton Rouge la

Comments about Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers:

There was a bone in my "boneless" chicken on the first bite I ate. I'll pass on these next time.

from New Jersey

Comments about Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers:

Healthy Choice is my number one favorite item to purchase when I'm at the grocery store and need to have on hand some quick and easy lunches especially for on the go. I really rate these very high as first they really look super fresh as the vegetables inside look like you have just freshly picked them and steamed them. Next, the amount they give you is just right for a lunch especially when you want to eat something healthy for you. I really like most of all the taste and blends of taste of everything they include in your meal as it tastes so delicious. Healthy Choice is definitely the right choice to make when trying to decide what frozen food to purchase at the supermarket. They also try to have them on special so watch for discounts on them as well. These are also great to carry to work as they are quick and easy to make as well as to me I feel like they are one of my "comfort food" choices as the aroma and taste are oh so special!

A real meal

from Syracuse, New York

Comments about Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers:

I am definitely a big fan of this one although it didn't start that way and I never expected to ever try this at all, I am truly glad that I did. It all started with a bet. A strange on the job challenge where the winner gets to choose the food the losing co worker has to indulge in for lunch that day. Well, me obviously - losing the challenge that day - had to eat chicken marsala - quite a change from my norm. Looking at the box - I began thinking this won't be so bad - but was still apprehensive. Much to my surprise though - it wasn't bad at all. I love mushrooms so that's what I dug into first and once I got a taste - all my apprehension disapated quickly. The wine sauce is made just right and really compliments the penne pasta. The chicken pieces are tender and juicy and the peppers and asparagus add a bit of umph into the overall taste and texture. This is an excellent well balanced meal that I enjoyed that day and, many after. How many times in life do you get to say " I'm glad I lost"?

Cafe Steamers are a unique new frozen meal from Healthy Choice.

Comments about Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers:

These Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers are a unique new frozen food entree choice. They come in a wide variety of meats, vegetables and either noodles or rice which are in a special bowl that is suspended over whatever sauce is contained. After microwaving you combine the top bowl with the sauce in the bottom for a complete meal.

Delicious and filling.

from Mc Minnville, TN

Comments about Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers:

I love Healthy Choice meals in general, and the Steamers especially are very tasty. The chicken is always tender, not dried out like you'll find in some "tv dinners." Healthy Choice is also a lot more filling than Lean Cuisine. My only complaint is that the vegetable side dishes that come with some of the meals are bland, so you'll need to spruce them up with some spices.

Wonderful and fast, doesn't taste like frozen

from Dayton, OH

Comments about Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers:

I work full time and have two kids getting my lunch ready for the next day is difficult but when I came across cafe steamers I did not have to rush again.  I love them and best of all they do not taste frozen and I feel like I ma eating healthy.  They are a must try for anyone.

Tastes healthy

from Columbus, IN

Comments about Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers:

I tried one of the shrimp dishes that was supposed to serve two and ate the whole thing myself.  It was somewhat expensive and less convenient than the meals on a tray.  The dish I had was supposed to be somewhat spicy, but I thought it was pretty bland.  The meal was high quality and healthy, but could use some extra seasoning.

Healthy Choice Steamers Great Taste and it helps your Weight

from Evadale, TX

Comments about Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers:

I am always trying to watch my weight, therefore I tend to buy a lot of frozen low-fat dinners. I have tried every brand and pretty much every type...Healthy Choice remains to be my favorite. I absolutley love the Cafe Steamers...it is so delisicious....it taste as if you are dining in a fine restraurant...Chicken Margherita is one of my favorites...I reccomend it!

Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers is a BIG hit!

from Alexandria, OH

Comments about Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers:

I love Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers!  I may not have had much luck with other Healthy Choice items, but this is different.  With the exception of the Beef Merlot (which I didn't like), the flavors are amazing!  The Asian inspired dishes are spicy, but sweet.  The sauce is addictive - I want to lick the bowl!  The rice is cooked perfectly, and the veggies are cooked thoroughly, but not soggy - the pea pods have a nice slight crunch!  The chicken is SOOO TENDER!  I just wish the pieces were smaller - that way more of the sauce could linger inside the chicken, and I could eat it better without a knife (a must when I have no lunch break and have to take care of customers as I eat.)  The only negative is the packaging - I just wish there wasn't a separate plastic steemer bowl to throw away - in addition to the other plastic bowl.  I suppose this can't be helped, as the food must be steamed to work properly, so I won't take off stars for that (I just hate to waste plastic, environmentally.)  The food cooked well, without making a mess.  I used the maximum time that the package stated to get the best results.  I can't stop buying this item - and to have it healthier for me!  Where could I go wrong?

Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers need more protein.

from Marlton, NJ

Comments about Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers:

I really enjoy the convenience and flavor of the Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers.  Unfortunately, as a diabetic, I need more protein to balance out the very high proportion of carbohydrates (processed white flour and white rice) in these entrees.