Other Shampoos:
Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp Care Dandruff Shampoo

Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp Care Dandruff Shampoo

Pros

Cons

Ends flakey, itchy, dry scalp

Head & Shoulders is probably the top name in dandruff shampoos. It's been around as long as I can remember, so it was my first choice when I began to suffer from dry,...Read complete review

Head & Shoulders is probably the top name in dandruff shampoos. It's been around as long as I can remember, so it was my first choice when I began to suffer from dry, itchy scalp.

The active ingredient is pyrithione zinc, a proven remedy for dandruff. The shampoo should be used at least twice each week to be effective, but it's also gentle enough to be used every day. It has a very pleasant, clean scent to it, unlike some dandruff shampoos that are made with coal tar or have a very strong, medicinal scent. It also left my hair feeling soft, shiney, and managable.

Head and Shoulders Dry Scalp Care can also be used on chemically treated and color treated hair, which is a plus, as these treatments can cause dryness that contribute to a flakey or itchy scalp.

I saw immediate improvement with my dry scalp after only one shampoo with Head and Shoulders. I felt more confident  wearing dark colored shirts and had no tell-tale flakes to worry about. Head and Shoulders is a product that does what it claims, and I would recommend it to anyone suffering from dry or itchy scalp.

Somewhat of a letdown..

I think when the majority of us think of dandruff or flakes in/on our head, we think of this product. We see plenty of commercials on tv to advertise it, so when I began having issues with dry scalp and flaking, it was the first product I went out and bought.

I had high hopes for this shampoo... surely, since it is so widely advertised and promoted, it must work. Right? Well, it unfortunately didn't work for me. Perhaps it helped just a little bit, but with the significant dry scalp issue I was having, it was clearly not noticable to me. I was really bummed. After using this shampoo for a couple months (big bottle, short hair), wanting to use it up before moving onto something else, I deemed it junk. Perhaps I have some kind of (unknown to me) condition that it isn't made for, I have no clue... but I don't think so.

Still, I have not yet found something to work for me.. but luckily it is approaching summer so the dry air-ed season is on break and I can hopefully find something in a couple months before the dandruff comes back in full force.

was so happy to find this amazingly effective 2in1 shampoo

Comments about Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp Care Dandruff Shampoo:

I went through a lot of shampoos and conditioners and 2in1s before I found head and shoulders nothing would get rid of the flakes. But I tried head & shoulders and noticed a difference right away Ive been using it for a year and now im flake free . This is an awesome product.

Very effective. I noticed a big difference in flakes after my very first use. Now im flake free.

Im not very good judge of scent but it does smell better than most bath products and I dont like the smell of most bath products at all.

Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp Dandruff Shampoo

Comments about Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp Care Dandruff Shampoo:

I deal with horribly dry skin every winter which includes my scalp. Of course the dry scalp then causes dandruff. I have tried several over the counter dandruff shampoos and I honestly think this was the worst one I have ever used. It left my hair feeling very greasy and weighed down and it made my dandruff a lot worse. I stuck it out for a week and it did not improve. Maybe it's just my hair but I did not like this product.

Did nothing to relieve my dandruff and after a weeks use my dandruff had gotten a ton worse so I had to stop using it. It also left my hair extremely greasy and very weighed down, I absolutely hated how my hair felt after using this. If felt like I could not get it all rinsed out. Maybe I did not use it long enough but I could not go past a week, my hair and my confidence could not take any more.

Only good thing going for this Head & Shoulders is the scent. It smells very good, not a strong medicine scent like some products can have.

Clean And Flake Free

Comments about Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp Care Dandruff Shampoo:

In over 20 years of being married to my husband I do not think there has ever been a day that a bottle of Head and Shoulders shampoo has NOT been in our shower.

My husband has a very dry scalp and has suffered his entire life from itchy scalp and flakes. Head and Shoulders enables him to keep his dandruff and itchy scalp under control. On the occasion (usually when I change shampoos or in winter when the heat runs often) I too can get dry scalp. When that happens I know I can trust this product to control the itching and flakes without drying my hair out or damaging it. Yet mild enough not to irritate the scalp or sensitive skin.

Head and Shoulders has been on the shelf for years. It is readily available at most big box, grocery and drug stores. Manufacturer coupons can be found regularly and coupled with a good sale makes this shampoo even more affordable. I consider it to be a mid priced product. Not as expensive as TGel and some of the more expensive dandruff shampoos yet not quite as cheap as many of the store brands.

My only warning is do not get this in your eyes because boy does it burn and for a long time.

Very effective at controlling dry itchy scalp and dandruff. Leaves hair clean and manageable.

Nice light scent for both my husband and myself. Not overwhelming!

Great

Comments about Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp Care Dandruff Shampoo:

I've been using this shampoo on and off for years now. My hair has a ton of problems; its dry, damaged, frizzy, and my scalp flakes from time to time. This product really banishes my dandruff, and what sets this formula apart from other anti-dandruff shampoo is it has a 2-in-1 formula, which really conditions my hair, making it much healthier and making it look better.

This rich formula really eliminates flakes and I feel like it really nourishes each and every strand of hair. It does an excellent job of reversing my hair damage, and I've noticed that I have much fewer split ends. It conditions my hair, making it much softer, reducing frizz, and making my hair sleeker and shinier. It really gets a lot done, and is a great shampoo if you have a multitude of hair and scalp problems that you want to deal with efficiently.

This product has a crisp, clean sent that smells like flowers, citrus, and fruits. Its a great, invigorating shampoo.

Not worth the money!

Comments about Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp Care Dandruff Shampoo:

I have dandruff so I used this product. It was actually recommended to be by my doctor. Well, after a year or two of using this product I did not see any change in my dandruff. Matter of fact the dandruff got worse. The itching (from the dandruff) was still there and my scalp was still as dry as ever. Nothing changed. I even tried several types of this product and still no change. I ended up switching to a different brand and am still having better results. If you are looking for results and not just something to waste your money on, do not buy this product!

Like I said above, not worth the money. If this product actually cut down the dandruff, not get rid of it all together but just cut down on it it would have gotten a better rating on he category of Results. Heck, even if it just took care of the itchiness the ratings would be higher.

The sent wasn't too bad. Still had a medicated smell to me. But as they say anything that smells good or tastes good does not do the job right.

A great product for the price!

Comments about Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp Care Dandruff Shampoo:

Head and Shoulders has always been, in my opinion, the best dandruff shampoo on the market and their dry scalp variant is a wonderful addition to their line of products. When your hair is at the worst of the worst, dandruff wise, Head and Shoulders is there to make it better in as little as a couple of weeks. Considering what you get for the price it's really an amazing product. Of course it costs more than the average every day shampoo but it costs much less than the premium salon products which, in my opinion, are not worth the money. If you want a good balance of effectiveness and cost use Head and Shoulders.

It really doesn't take that long for Head and Shoulders Dry Scalp treatment to work and for you to start seeing its effect.

The scent is very pleasant and is nice to use. Other products can feel too harsh on the hair and smell just terrible. Head and Shoulders isn't like that at all.

Helps control, but not eliminate, my dandruff

Comments about Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp Care Dandruff Shampoo:

I have been using Head and Shoulders Dry Scalp Care Dandruff Shampoo for many years now, and although it doesn't completely treat my dandruff like I was hoping it would, I have seen an improvement in my overall scalp health. This shampoo has definitely reduced the amount of itching that my dry scalp causes me. After trying out other products and immediately feeling the itch I have always come back to Head and Shoulders and felt less need to itch. This is awesome because my itching would only lead to more flakes and that is so embarrassing. Head and Shoulders has to be one of the most popular dandruff shampoos on the market today, and while I am happy with the improvements that I have seen to my scalp, I was a little disappointed that this shampoo couldn't completely correct my problem. I still have flaking and some itching everyday, which is a bummer. But when I stop using this product and start trying something else, I realize that I do have more flaking, so this product must be helping some. I do really like that this product has a nice, clean scent without smelling too clinical. I guess I would recommend it for people who have slight, occasional dandruff problems but for people who are really looking for a complete dandruff eliminator, I would tell them to look elsewhere.

Good Product

Comments about Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp Care Dandruff Shampoo:

I've used this shampoo as a child because I had dandruff and very dry scalp. This shampii really helped tame my dry scalp and dandruff better than I expected. The smell isn't all that good but it isn't bad either considering how it helps your hair. My scalp stopped itching after using this product for a while and the dandruff never came back.

Saves you from itchy scalp!

Comments about Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp Care Dandruff Shampoo:

I have used many Head & Shoulder Shampoos in the past, and this one has been the best among all. I have used this particular shampoo for a long time, and I must say I was quite impressed. It somehow works differently, its active ingredient pyrithione zinc might be the reason. I have had dry, flaky scalp since the time I can remember, and Head & Shoulder has always come to rescue.
This particular shampoo, soothes the scalp really well. Though I did not see a huge transformation in the dandruff problem, I kind of liked how well it moisturizes the scalp. It is so cool to use. I will recommend to anyone with dry scalp, just do not expect any miracle to happen and dandruff to vanish. This shampoo controls the growth of dry flakes for sure, but not completely. Still, it is better than many other anti dandruff shampoos in the market. It is costlier as compared to other shampoos, so I always bought it on sale.

Good alternative

from Irvine, CA

Comments about Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp Care Dandruff Shampoo:

As embarrassed as it is to admit, I have dry scalp. There are fancy products out there, which is probably just as, if not more effective, but for a lower cost product, this does the job. I have been using the Dry Scalp Care Dandruff shampoo for years now and it's worked for me so far. I am not giving it a full 10 in rating because I have not tried other dandruff/dry scalp shampoos. My hairstylist agrees that if you don't have a major dandruff or dry scalp issue, this is a good, standard product to use and it will solve the embarrassing problem.

Works for mild dry scalp. I've never had a problem until I got pregnant. For some reason, when I got pregnant, i started getting dry scalp and it hasn't gone away. It's worse during the cold months, when the air is dry. For what I need it for, it's effective.

There's really not a scent. It smells like...shampoo. It's mild and it doesn't try to be smell like anything. This product can be used by men or women - it has a pretty unisex smell.