Other Self Tanners & Bronzers:
Hawaiian Tropic

Pros

Cons

Sweet Smelling and Effective Tanning Oil

I was originally attracted to Hawaiian Tropic's Dark tanning oil from the scent. It has a light sweet coconut smell and doesn't have a trace of the oily or chemical smell of most tanning oils. I purchased a small sample of it at the spa where I tan. It applied easily and dried quickly and I didn't feel greasy like I have with other tanning oils. I tanned for a 6 minute session and I was thrilled with how well it worked! I try to go tanning once per week, especially in the winter so I can maintain the beautiful color and glow the summer sun affords us and this product gave me a tan that looked like I spent a week at the beach. Several of my coworkers commented the next day that I must have snuck away on a mini vacation. This product has also helped me maintain a tan longer than most other tanning products I have used even though that is not really what it is supposed to do.
Aside from using this as a tanning oil I will sometimes apply it to my skin in the winter while I am in the shower to help moisturize. It doesn't work as a self tanner so I do not expect it to keep my tan going but it will keep my skin soft and it has such a light sweet scent that I sometimes will apply a few drops on my neck and wrists in lieu of perfume.

I have very sensitive skin and I have never had a problem with this product, even on my face. It doesn't seem to build up like other tanning oils would on my face and it doesn't make my skin oily at all. I occasionally get acne but it has never been from using this product on my face and it has never been worsened by this product. I would recommend it to anyone who was looking to enhance their tan or get a tan faster than normal on a tanning bed. Some friends of mine have very fair skin and cannot tan as easily as I can without the risk of getting a bad sun burn so take it slow with this product. If you normally tan for 6 minutes with a different product, use this product for 3 and gradually build up from there. This is not sunblock it is oil so you do have to be a little more careful - it will not protect you from the UV rays that can be very harmful to you.

I have been using this tanning oil for a few years and it has never let me down. I primarily use it in tanning beds. I am biracial so I am blessed with a year round tan. IT has been hard for me to find an oil that will help enhance and darken my skin done when I do tan. I go once weekly for about 7 minutes while using this oil and it leaves me with a beautiful dark tan and a soft glow. I have been fortunate to have never gotten a sun burn while using this but I would recommend taking it slow until you know how your skin will react when using a tanning oil, it can be very dangerous for people who are fair skinned to use an oil. A friend of mine will use this in conjunction with Hawaiian tropic sunblock and will still get a nice tan but not as dark as mine.

Ease of Application
This oil is very easy to apply. I try to use little bits at a time just because oil can be messy to clean up. The cap on the bottle is designed to help you control what comes out depending on how hard you squeeze, with other tanning oils sometimes it just leaks out and gets everywhere. It also dries quickly so you don't have to worry about oil stains on your clothing, or feeling greasy.

I love the way this smells. It reminds me of drinking a pina colada on the beach. Hawaiian Tropic products all have a delicious coco-nutty smell to them and this oil smells amazing and will last most of the day even if you go swimming or sweat a lot or take several showers. Even though it lasts a long time it is not overpowering at all. It does have a very feminine scent but I know a lot of men who use this product as well and they don't feel "girly" while wearing it.

Longevity
I have a very busy schedule so it is hard for me to get to the tanning beds or the beach daily to maintain my summer glow. Since I have been using Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil I have been getting a darker tan in less time that lasts a lot longer. It is VERY effective and will last about 2 weeks on me.

No really, it's actually oil...

Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil, is seriously just that, an oil blend designed to help you get that deep, dark summer glow. This product is extremely thin and goes on, well like you’re rubbing yourself down with oil. It’s greasy, it’s messy and it’s definitely not meant to be put on and have your regular outdoor activities ensue. This is a tanning oil start to finish. And being that it’s an oil-based product, I really recommend if you’re going to use it, don’t wear your favorite bathing suit or bikini, it does and will stain whatever you’re wearing if you’re not careful. Also because it is an oil blended product there are no traces of any sunscreens or SPF’s, which I find amazing given what we all know about the potential dangers of UVA and UBV rays. If you slather it on and lay out in the sun for a while, you will get a dark tan, Hawaiian Tropic is seriously not kidding with that name! I do really like the way it smells though, nothing like ordinary sunscreens at all, it has that fantastic tropical flower, I’m on a great vacation with sandy beaches smell. The smell is my favorite part by far.

Really works

Comments about Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil:

Decent drugstore self tanner.

I ended up with a very natural looking tan.

Ease of Application
It's a good idea to do a body scrub before hand in order to prevent streaking.

I wasn't fully for or against the scent.

Longevity
This product must be applied periodically in order to obtain the desired results.

Not for everyone.

from Ann Arbor MI

Comments about Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil:

I have extremely sensitive skin. I'm talking, I go out in the sun and come back 15 minutes later with a sunburn. Now, it was probably stupid of me to try this tanning lotion, but me and my friend were laying out and she used it (she has the perfect tan complexion, so I figured if I used the tanning oil it would make me that tan). So, granted that I should have thought about my fair skin before I lathered this on me, I was expecting a tan, not a burn. The sun felt extremely hot while I was tanning, which should have been my first indicator that I needed sunscreen. I only laid out for 30 minutes; 15 on my stomach and 15 on my back, and I went inside. I didn't notice a difference right away, but after I showered, you could definitely see it. I was burnt...and I mean, I have never been this burnt in my life. When the redness did go away, there was a great looking tan, but it took near a week. So, in conclusion, this tanning oil is not for everyone, and unless you're a serious tanner, I don't think you should try this.

• Longevity:

No really, it's actually oil...

Comments about Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil:

Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil has a great price, I got a great tan, I didn't burn, I tanned faster than I have with any other tanning oil that I have tried.

Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil works great! No matter how much sun block I use, I still burn, and burn really bad. A friend of mine recommended that I try a tanning oil so she gave me a bottle of her Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil. I applied it right away and we spent the day at the pool, I applied it a few more times during the day and not only did I not burn but I actually tanned, which is normally very hard for me to do.

Ease of Application
Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil goes on so smooth, you just rub the oil into your skin and it works great. Now it is an oil and not a lotion so if you use to much you will just splatter it everywhere when you try to rub it in.

Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil has a wonderful coconut smell. Its not to strong and powerful, its just right.

Longevity
Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil last a few hours but you do have to apply it a little more when you are in and out of the water a lot. Since it is an oil it does repel the water a little but if you want the maximum results you should apply it more.

Does the job & I like the smell

from Portland, OR

Comments about Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil:

This oil really does help enhance you ability to get a darker and deeper tan. It spreads well and is easy to apply. I love the smell of the hawaiian tropic tanning oil I like the coconut smell and makes me feel tropical and exotic when I am outside using it. My only complaint is the bottle type when you use the one in the picture the oil dispense area is a little messy. I would recommend the continuous spray bottle is makes it less messy and easier to apply. the oil does stay well applied the bottle does recommend to reapply as needed. the oil does help with moisturizer helping your tan last longer and help you achieve a darker tan quicker. The product is terrible in water so do not apply it and then go in your swimming pool and you don't want to hold a kid with it applied it is very slipper to come in contact with. I would recommend only putting the product on your body face is not recommended

• Longevity:

My absolute favorite tanning oil!

Comments about Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil:

Most of the time when I am trying to tan I do it gradually. That is when I just use self-tanning lotions, but when I want to get a natural, quick, beautiful looking tan that is long-lasting then there is only one product I will use and that is this one, the Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil. I actually re-started using it yesterday when I took my daughter to the park. It was definitely warm enough, and the sun was shining perfectly for tanning. I was only outside in the sunlight for just under three hours, and that was plenty to get a really nice tan. This tanning oil is really incredible. It is also my number one favorite tanning oil, and I really don't think I could make it through summer without having this tanning oil to help me jump start my tan.

This tanning oil smells almost edible! It really does remind you of hawaii, it smells like coconuts but not artificial coconut smell. It honestly smells like fresh coconut.

• Longevity:

This tanning oil works and it smells great

Comments about Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil:

I thoroughly enjoy using Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil. I love the smell. It smells like coconut and makes me feel like I am on the beach in Hawaii. It has a very strong scent so if you don't like strong smelling lotions this tanning oil is not for you. I like the smell and I enjoy the strong scent so it works great for me. I just want to warn those who don''t like strong smelling products. This tanning oil also works great. I get a nice deep dark tan in a very short amount of time. I have found that it works better than most other tanning products that I have tried. I highly recommend it.

Hawaiian Tropic Dark tanning oil is very effective. It works great. I always get a great dark deep tan.

Ease of Application
Hawaiian Tropic Dark tanning oil is very easy to apply. It just takes a small amount and even though it is an oil it absorbs easily into your skin.

Hawaiian Tropic Dark tanning oil has a very strong scent. I love it! It smells like coconut. The smell reminds me of being in Hawaii. I feel like I am on the beach in Waikiki when I put this tanning oil on.

Longevity
The longevity is about the same as other good tanning oils.

Comments about Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil:

Wow does this product take me back to my teen years! I love the sun and love having a nice dark tan and this product was my best friend for years. If you tend to burn this is not the stuff for you. Hawaiian tropics dark tanning oil will give you a dark, deep tan and the oil is also great for moisturizing your skin, which of course the sun can dry out. It won't protect your skin from the sun so I don't recommend using this long term. This is for the true sun lovers that want a really dark tan.

This stuff will give you that deep dark tan that makes it look like you just came back from an exotic vacation. I always got awesome tans using this.

Ease of Application
Well it's oil so it's kind of messy to put on. I don't suggest using this at a beach or sand will stick to you!

Smells amazing! Smells like the beach, like a long summers night, like some exotic beach! A hint of coconut and just sun!

Longevity
My tans always lasted a while when I used this. I could go a week or so and still have my nice dark tan.

Best Outdoor Tanning Oil

from Va

Comments about Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil:

I used to be a religious sun bather and loved laying out in the sun. Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil has got to be a favorite of mine in accomplishing a golden bronzed tan. I love the fact that this oil smells great but it also speeds up the tanning process. The only downside is it does not contain any sun protection but years ago before the skin cancer scare, this was why I would buy this particular oil because it does not contain SPF. Last year when I spent my weekends laying out next to the pool, I would apply a sunscreen before I applied this oil. I was surprised to see that my skin would still tan but not as fast. Now I found another use for this tanning oil, it makes a great moisturizer on the legs after shaving because of the rich blend of antioxidant vitamins A,C and E. I apply this oil right out of the shower on my smooth legs and my legs have an added shine and are completely moisturized. I love Hawaiian Tropic's line of tanning products and the quality of ingredients they contain. This particular tanning oil is one of the best in obtaining a deep rich dark tan, not to mention the smell reminds me of being at the tropics.

One of the best tanning oils I have used because it contains a rich blend of ingredients in deepening the pigment of the skin.

Ease of Application
Its an oil and can get messy if poured too fast, apply in small amounts and it absorbs fast.

Best coconut scent, I love the fragrance.

• Longevity:

Not healthy, but offers a great tan!

from Davis, CA

Comments about Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil:

Just as too much chocolate or an over indulgence of ice cream is bad for the body, so is tanning the natural way--by sunshine. However, as a born Californian, I love the sun. I love being out in it and love the sun-kissed glow of a tan.

Since I know the risks of tanning without protection, I only use Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil for short periods of time and only on my legs and arms. It works really quickly and smells like ...a Hawaiian summer--coconut.

It is very easy to use this too much though. It feels so nice on the skin and gives me a nice dark tan. But, it doesn't offer any SPF protection. So, be careful not to stay out in the sun for long periods. You will burn.

It gives a very dark tan very quickly. However, a person can easily burn since it is an oil with no SPF. So, it's best to use it for short periods of time and tan slowly.

Ease of Application
It's an oil, so it can be messy. This is something you apply when on a beach.

Love the smell of coconuts! This smells so good, like being in Hawaii.

Longevity
When I tan slowly, the tan lasts for months. So, I'll use this for a short period and then use a sunless tanner. It's much safer.