3.9
Other Games & Puzzles:
Hasbro
Hasbro Elefun & Friends Hungry Hungry Hippos Game

Summary

• You’ll have a chompin’ good time with Hungry Hippo and his pals!
• Be ready to join in the feeding frenzy when you release all the marbles onto the game base, because all the hippos will be chomping and your hippo will need to move fast!
• If he chomps the golden marble, you win!
• WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD – Game contains marbles. Not for children under 3 years.
• Ages 4 and up.
• 2-4 players.
• Adult assembly required.

Hasbro Elefun & Friends Hungry Hungry Hippos Game

3.9

• No (16), Yes (4)

NO Pink Hippo

When I was a kid I absolutely loved this game. It was loud and you had to move fast if you wanted to win.
This new version is a little different than...Read complete review

This new version is a little different than the one I played back in the 80's. First of all there is no pink hippo. Maybe this sounds silly, but when I was little my friends and I would argue over who got the pink hippo. Everyone wanted good ole pinky! Maybe it was just my imagination, but I could swear that the pink hippo had a better reach than the others. I almost always won when I played with pinky. This new game is more gender neutral. This fact is fine, but when it comes to games that I played as a kid, I don't really like big changes very much. Especially changes that are only superficial, not intended to make the game itself function better.
Another difference is the size. My game was a big, sturdy plastic contraption. This newer version, while in a smaller box and easier to store, seems to me to be not quite made as well.
It's still loud and fun and my kids love it. It's just nostalgia that makes me wish there was still a pink hippo. It's great for younger kids, it helps with hand eye coordination, fine motor skills and counting. They're learning and developing without even knowing.

A Classic Game Gone Cheap

Hungry Hungry Hippos is a game I grew up with so when I saw the slightly altered version of it on sale I was excited to share with and teach my 3 kids to play too! The game started out fun but we all were completely frustrated by the 3rd round. The entire game is too light and cheaply made. The game board, so to speak, wobbles so much when any player hits their hippo so imagine all 4 hippos frantically being hit at the same time (which is needed due to the object of the game) as it unevenly bounces up and down and back and forth all over the table! In addition to that, the "marbles" which are now just super lightweight plastic balls, fly all over the room as the bounce off the hippo's mouths and off of the game board/base. The only real pleasure we gained from this family game night was some laughs (mostly out of disbelief in how ridiculous the game looked as we tried to play it) and the fact that my youngest got a brief math lesson in addition and subtraction.

Fun Noisy game

from Harvard Il

Comments about Hasbro Elefun & Friends Hungry Hungry Hippos Game:

When I was a kid I absolutely loved this game, it provided countless hours of fun and entertainment. It was my favorite and every chance I had to play I jumped at it. It's nice to see a classic game still around for the newer generations to enjoy as well. I have noticed that the new model is a bit more cheaply made. A friend of mine has this for her children and I was astonished at how easily it falls apart. I beat mine, as a kid, relentlessly and it stood up to it. This newer model needs a gentler hand. Plus the marbles aren't marbles anymore, but just plastic balls. That in and of itself makes the game a bit harder since the marbles aren't heavy but very light weight and harder to grab. But none the less it is still extremely fun and enjoyable to all the kids who love this very noisy game!

kind of cheaply made

from MA

Comments about Hasbro Elefun & Friends Hungry Hungry Hippos Game:

This Hungry Hungry Hippo game is an old favorite toy that kids from preschool to perhaps grade 2 will enjoy and is suitable for both boys and girls. It has been around for decades and is very simple to play .
The object of the game is to have the hippo who can much the most marbles the fastest - very simple, no reading involved . You just choose your color hippo and go ! After all the marbles are " eaten" , there are counting skills involved ( with the help of an adult for the youngest kids ) to see which hippo was the hungriest and ate the most marbles .
The only problem with this game is that it is made a lot cheaper than it was many years ago which is often the case these days . The marbles are so lightweight and they tend to get caught in the hippos throats , jamming up at times .
Also, be forewarned not to allow this game near babies or toddlers who might still put objects in their mouths as the plastic marbles are , obviously, a choking hazard .
Game is cheaply made overall bit is still quite inexpensive - I would not give it as a gift as it is not great quality but it is a good , cheap game to have for grandma to buy and keep at their own house for rainy day play .

Hungry Hungry Hippos can provide little fun

from Nampa, ID

Pros

• Kids love the frenzy type game play

Cons

• easily lost marbles
  • Small pieces

• Older Children

Comments about Hasbro Elefun & Friends Hungry Hungry Hippos Game:

Hungry, Hungry Hippos is a well known, classic game that all children, of all ages seem to really enjoy. I think it is because of the frenzy type game play that children like about it. Frantically slamming their hippos to catch the marbles can be very exciting. It can also be very annoying. Ha ha. It was originally purchased after my child saw a commercial for it on television. She had to save up all her allowance to make this purchase as I, myself, did not find it appealing for my children. I do not see an educational value to this game or an opportunity of players working together. Or even playing together. There is not much skill at all involved with this game. The Whack a Mole game would be a much better option because it provides that frenzy feeling, but has a skillful purpose. I also had a scare that my youngest daughter might have swallowed a marble. Definitely not toddler friendly. Also, you only get a handful number of uses before marbles start to go missing. The hippos are very cute and appealing, but I probably would not recommend this game. Save your money and purchase something more durable.

great fun

from New Jersey

Comments about Hasbro Elefun & Friends Hungry Hungry Hippos Game:

I wanted a game that was fun for the whole family, this game is so simple yet thrilling and exciting even the youngest member of our family could play.I used to play this game as a child and was thrilled to buy it for my own kids who loved it just as much. Hungry hippos is great for family game night and kept out kids entertained for a while!

• Was this a gift?:

Would not buy this again

from Saint Paul, MN

Comments about Hasbro Elefun & Friends Hungry Hungry Hippos Game:

Not a very well made product. When they redesigned it they failed!

Fun family game

from New Johnsonville, TN

Comments about Hasbro Elefun & Friends Hungry Hungry Hippos Game:

We love to play this game! My son is four and he enjoys it. My husband and I like the fact that we are sharing a game from our childhood with our son. While it can get a little wild and loud at times, it is all in the name of fun. It does seem that this game is a little less sturdy than what I remember from when I was a child, but I guess that's pretty common. We also have noticed that the balls get stuck inside the hippos, so we have to take the game apart, sometimes mid-play, to get them out. Also, they don't seem to be marbles, but plastic balls, so they do not have the heft of the original hungry hungry hippos game. If you don't mind this issue, it's not that bad. Putting the game together can be a little tricky as it takes some coordination and strength to get all the pieces into place. This is definitely not something little ones could set up on their own. We have fun playing it, but it does have problems from time to time.

A Classic Game Gone Cheap

from Dallastown, PA

Pros

• Easy to learn
  • great for the whole family
  • Teaches counting
  • Up to 4 players

Cons

• Marbles too light
  • Plastic marbles fly off game base
  • Poor quality
  • Uneven Base

• Educational/Math
  • Family game night

Hungry for fun

from Middletown, Iowa

Comments about Hasbro Elefun & Friends Hungry Hungry Hippos Game:

This is such a fun game. Smacking the hippo handles as fast as you can to get all of the marbles. Simple but fun. My kids always enjoy playing this game and so do I

A classic fun game

from Pennsylvania

Comments about Hasbro Elefun & Friends Hungry Hungry Hippos Game:

I had a Hungry Hippo game when I was a child and I loved it. When my child saw the commercials and wanted one, I was more than happy to get him one. This Hasbro game is not expensive and very budget friendly. For the most part it was exactly as I had remembered it. There are four hippos and the object is to have your hippo eat the most marbles when they are placed in the center. Each hippo has a lever you push up and down to make the neck extend and mouth open. It is fun and so easy even very young players can play. However, keep away from babies and toddlers that will put the marbles in their mouths. The only drawback I had with this particular game was some sticking with the levers. They seemed to get stuck and have to be hit several times to get them moving properly again. I thought it was just a defect with our game but a friend of mine said she had the same problem with the one she bought her kids. I would have given this five stars except for this fact. My little one likes to play with this himself even when nobody else can play. It is a great way to spend time with your little ones.

LOVE THIS GAME

from Harvard Il

Comments about Hasbro Elefun & Friends Hungry Hungry Hippos Game:

When I was a kid I absolutely loved this game, it provided countless hours of fun and entertainment. I have noticed that the new model is a bit more cheaply made. A friend of mine has this for her children and I was astonished at how easily it falls apart. I beat mine, as a kid, relentlessly and it stood up to it. This newer model needs a gentler hand. But none the less it is still extremely fun and enjoyable to all the kids who love this very noisy game!