3.6

3.6

Pros

Cons

• Side Effects:

Glad I Tried These Chews!

Owning a pet, especially a dog can bring so much joy into a person's life. I have 2 dogs, they are only 7 months old and luckily my girl dog, "Baby" is a constant chewer. I have learned to constantly pick up anything that is in her eyesight, especially shoes and toys because of her constant need to chew on things. My male dog is the complete opposite and has grown out of the puppy stage of chewing. I would find myself constantly buying dog chew toys thinking it would break her from her bad habit. I ran across the Hartz Dental Chews and thought to myself it's worth a shot. When I gave each of them a Hartz Dental Chew I was excited about how interested they both were to this treat. The shape fits perfectly in their paws, it looks cute watching them hold the bone while they chew, the shape is perfect for their large paws. Baby stayed distracted for along time, and the bone was still fully intact. It's been weeks since I introduced the Hartz Dental Chew and Baby has done better in not chewing on everything in eyesight. When she grabs a shoe I will take it away and hand her this chew and she will forget all about the show. This product also helps cut down on tarter and cleans existing tarter off a dog's teeth, that alone is a huge benefit. Since trying this for the first time I have purchased 2 more packs, they are very long lasting but can be broken into pieces, my male did this so I gave him another and he has yet to break that one. I am tickled about how fast my dogs have stopped chewing because I have replaced the shoes with a better tasting toy, I think I will stick with this dental chew because they love them so much!

My dog got extremely sick from it!

I saw dental chew in the grocery store and thought it would be a great treat for my little dog.  She seemed to really enjoy it..chewed on it for about an hour.  I didn't want her to overdo it so I took it away from her and figured I would give it back to her the next day.  WRONG!!!!!   That night she got extremely sick....throwing up, lethargic. She was a little better the next day, but not herself and naturally it was a Sunday.  She threw up again on Sunday night and it was all pariticales froim this dental chew as she has not eaten anything since Saturday. She will be going to the vet today....I'M VERY WORRIED:-(

Icky Ingredients

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Hartz Dental Chew:

These chews were recommended to me by a friend who swears by them so I gave them a try with my puppy. She seemed to find them interesting but not as much as other dental chews I have tried.

These are rather expensive versus other products as well. They run about $7 for a two pack which is much higher than single use biscuits but comparable to other similar products.

What really disturbed me the most was the ingredient list which included cornstartch, maltose, artificial bacon flavor, and sorbitol (an artificial sweetener) as well as sodium hexametaphosphate - neither of which is good for you or your pets. This is what ultimately convinced me to switch to another brand. I just can't bring myself to subject my dog to ingredients I wouldn't put in my own body. This combined with the fact that there is no country of manufacture on the packaging was not comforting.

Overall, while these seem like a good idea and they went over fairly well with my dog the safety concerns involved in their contents were just too much and not worth the potential risk and I really cannot recommend them.

Glad I Tried These Chews!

from Va

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Easy To Use
  • Effective
  • Long-Lasting

Cons

• Larger Pets
    • Regular Use
    • Smaller Pets
    • Special Situations

Average product.

from Kansas

Comments about Hartz Dental Chew:

I had an older dog who was starting to develop plaque on his teeth so I bought these one day when looking for something to help with the problem. These come in a pack of two and you can choose small, medium, or large, depending on your breed of dog. I found these at Wal-Mart and they were fairly inexpensive.

These chews are shaped in kind of an L shape, which is supposed to make it where your dog can hold it with his/her paws while they chew on it. My dog did not hold it like that though, instead he just chewed on it. This product is bacon flavored and my dog seemed to LOVE it. He quickly finished off the first chew and kept bugging me to give him the other one.

I noticed there was a little less plaque on his upper teeth but not a significant amount. I only purchased these once for my dog due to how quickly he ate them. It would probably end up being costly if your dog wanted one every day.

Quality of Ingredients
    I do not think these chews have the highest quality ingredients but they are acceptable.

Side Effects
    There were no side effects.

• Quality of Ingredients:
    • Side Effects:

Ok dental treat, not hard enough for a mature chewer

Comments about Hartz Dental Chew:

The Bottom Line: These Hartz Dental treats are very cleverly shaped and make it easier for your dog to hold the treat between their paws. These make a great addition to your pet's dental care regimen, but if your dog has very strong teeth, the treat will last less than five minutes. Best for smaller breeds.

Some things I like about this dental treat: 1) the clever shape which makes it easy for pets to hold 2) the simple ingredients 3) the fact that it does not stain carpet or get all gooey and sticky while your pet is eating it.

Things I do not like as well: Even the "Large" sized treat did not really do the intended dental cleaning job, because the texture is not hard enough for larger breeds like mine (Great Pyrenees). It breaks off to easily into large pieces, which get swallowed whole by my pet. I believe this treat works best for smaller dogs with a less powerful jaw, and dogs that take their time to enjoy the treat, which is clearly not my pet's case.

Quality of Ingredients
    According to the packaging, the formula is pretty simple and straightforward and contains: cornstarch, sorbitol, maltose, rice starch, artificial bacon flavor, yellow #6. I am quite happy with all of those ingredients EXCEPT the yellow #6. Added color is never necessary and I wish they did not add coloring. Otherwise, the ingredients are all very easy to digest for most dogs.

Side Effects
    There were never any negative side effects when I gave my Great Pyrenees one of these Hartz Dental Chews but because these treats are not that hard to chew on, my pet would be done in less than five minutes, and break large pieces off without chewing them (which defeats the purpose of dental cleaning). Luckily, the ingredients make this treat easily digestible and did not cause any stomach issues with my pet.

• Quality of Ingredients:

A Guilt Free Treat For My Dogs

from Va

Comments about Hartz Dental Chew:

I am a proud dog owner and take pride in the food, treats, and medication I give my pets. I try to only give them what will benefit them because I want them to live long with my family. On occasion my "Max" will beg for table food and sometimes I can't resist giving him something I am eating. I tend to feel guilty afterward because I know it's a bad habit and not good for him. Same goes with my smaller dog " Tucker" who tries to sweep up anything my toddlers drop on the floor. Max is older and his teeth are aging, I brush his gums and teeth but it can be hard getting him to sit still and listen to really get his teeth clean. Hartz Dental Chew is a great way to clean his teeth plus it's a fun treat for my dogs. I bought different size Hartz Dental Chew Bones for Max and Tucker, and they love to chew on these chews and I feel good about giving it to them. Max's breath smells better, and I'm confident that his teeth are benefiting from chewing. These bone like chews last a long time and don't get sticky and slimy like rawhide or other chews. I like that I can get a size that fits my dogs size, because Tucker is very small with a tiny mouth. Overall, I feel good about Hartz Dental Chews, they are a guilt free treat that my dogs love!

Hartz Dental Chew Scrapes Away Plaque and Tartar

from Houston, TX

Comments about Hartz Dental Chew:

Dogs often develop dental problems and this is especially true of older dogs, many of which develop tartar and gradually lose their teeth over time. The problem with plaque and tartar should not be ignored, and an easy partial solution to the problem is Hartz Dental Chews.

Chew Facts and Commentary:

Hartz Dental Chews are a chewy bone- like product flavored with bacon. The chews come in sizes for small, medium, and large dogs and they are designed to help reduce plaque and the tartar that follows.

Hartz Dental Chews have a smell/taste that is appealing to dogs and mine took to them right away. One unusual quality is the shape- they do not have the traditional bone shape so common to most dog treats and dental chews. Instead, they are shaped like a hockey stick, but this shape is actually better because it is easier to grip and is designed to help do a better job removing plaque.

Hartz Dental Chews seem to make a difference and they do help clean a dog’s teeth through the scraping action. One thing I have noticed, however, is that the chews need to be used sparingly. A dog with a hearty appetite that loves to chew will destroy both of the chews in a very short time, so it is important to feed them on occasion only, since feeding them more frequently is not only costly, but also defeats the purpose.

Bottom Line Viewpoint:

Hartz Dental Chews are a good dog chew for eliminating plaque and tartar and they are one of the better chews I have given to my dog for this purpose. They still cannot take the place of a professional cleaning, but they are a good between- dentist option for your dog and they do make a difference.

Quality of Ingredients
    This doggie dental product is made with acceptable ingredients, but not exceptional ingredients so use sparingly.

Side Effects
    No noticeable side effects, but a dog with already weak teeth may lose one as he/she chews.

• Quality of Ingredients:
    • Side Effects:

To help your dog be healthy!

from North Adams, MA

Comments about Hartz Dental Chew:

I bought these for my dogs for Christmas. At first I was looking in the stores for something that my dog will enjoy but will also help him. I will admit right off the bat I have tried other products similiar to this that did not do a thing! This product my dog unfortunetly did not like the taste, but the good news was it was not a complete waste for me. I gave these to my brother's dog, and it was a BIG hit. The dog LOVEDDDD them, and now I buy my brother's dog these whenever I see them on sale, and his dog will be getting a box of them for Christmas this year. So although my dog did not like the taste, my brother's dog did, and you can notice a big change in his teeth, even the vet mentioned it to him. So I would reccommend these, of course it depends on the taste with your dog, but give them a shot and if your dog likes the taste keep using them and notice the big difference with your dogs teeth. Great idea, I just wish it came in different flavors!

Hartz Dental Chews only gets 2 paws from my pup.

from Chicago, IL

Comments about Hartz Dental Chew:

Well, I'm sure that these dental chews do all sorts of good for the dental health of dogs...if you can get them to actually chew on them!  Helps remove placque and tartar, fresh breath, health benefits, etcetera. That's  great but my puppy didn't really seem to interested in them.  Which isn't to say she totally hated them, she did chew on it for a few minutes, then abandoned it for something that looked much better in her eyes.  I did think that they were a nice size, easy for my puppy to grip between her paws to gnaw on, and I liked that you got more than one in a package.  Often times, you get one measley item and get charged an arm and a leg for it.  So all in all the value seemed pretty good for the money.  They also smelled alright, not amazing but not gross and pungent like some dog treats and chews do.  If you have a less picky dog than I apparently do, these seem like they might be worth a try.

my dog''s teeth look wonderful with Hartz Dental Chew

from Lorton, VA

Comments about Hartz Dental Chew:

My dog thinks they are delicious, she sees the package and sits waggling her tale waiting for it.   It keeps her busy for hours and cleans her teeth very good, especially since I do not have enough time to clean them as much as I would like.

My dog's favorite treat

from Morristown, TN

Comments about Hartz Dental Chew:

My dog absolutely loves the Hartz Dental Chews.  They come in a bacon flavor that she loves and it keeps her occupied chewing on the treat for probably a half hour or so.  There are a few things to consider with these treats though.  First, there are only two in a package, which means if you want to stock up on them you need to buy numerous packages.  Second, it's important to pay attention to feeding guidelines.  These are big treats and so you probably should limit the amount that your dog gets. With some dogs you might be able to give them the Chew and they would chew on it for awhile, get bored and do something else.  My dog has to make sure she eats the entire chew in one sitting.  So I can only give her one treat a week just to make sure she doesn't get sick.  The treats are very hard, so you cannot break them apart to use on multiple feedings, and it is hard to monitor just how big of a piece your dog has broken off at any given time.  But she loves them, so I give the Hartz Dental Chews to her on occasion as a special treat.