Other Irons:
Hamilton Beach
14560T
Hamilton Beach Steam Storm Plus Lightweight Iron

Hamilton Beach Steam Storm Plus Lightweight Iron

Steam great, funky dial knob and leaking not so gret

from Tacoma, WA

Comments about Hamilton Beach Steam Storm Plus Lightweight Iron:

I love to use vintage irons. They're built like Sherman tanks and they come from an era when people knew the value of being able to mercilessly hot steam a piece of fabric into submission. However, they have one drawback and that is that after a long life of contributing to the public crease-free good, they tend to feel a bit entitled and they often ... retire ... abruptly on me. Sometimes in the middle of a project.

Last time that happened, my husband went out and came back with the Steam Storm. He knows my near-fetish for steam, so he chose well, but there are a few "features" that bother me.

One, it's the first iron I've owned with a dial knob located *right under the handle*. Hello? Who thought that was a good plan? To make sure I have it set exactly where I want it I have to either lift the iron up (and with a full tank that's not such a good plan as I'll explain below) or bend over and peer under the handle. Please, give me the most user friendly controls possible when I'm using something that could potentially *cook the flesh off my bones* or *melt my project*!

Second, the tank leaks. I'm aware that technically, this is all my fault, because I usually overfill it a little (I did say I loved steam). I'm not disposed to be all gracious about the finer points of responsibility, though, when I've just had boiling water splatter all over my hands, arms and face. A little safety margin might have been nice, being as how it's *boiling water*.