3.4

3.4

Pros

Cons

Save on Music, Textbooks, Movies and more at Half.com

I LOVE **half.com**! It is a great website where you can buy - or sell - books, movies, videos games, music and game systems. The prices that are set by the individual seller and the shipping cost are available BEFORE you buy which is nice.

I have bought a lot of books and CD's and have always been satisfied with my purchase. One helpful aspect are the comments by the sellers letting you know what you are getting If the cover is bend, or the CD jacket missing it will be stated in the comments, so there are no surprises when it arrives!

At **half.com, **the seller places their items under one of five categories: *Brand New /** Like New /** Very Good/Good *and* Acceptable.* Since each seller chooses how much they charge, the prices vary (often a lot) and many times you can the products are priced. For example when I was looking for ***The Secret*** for a friend, I was able to find one that under the *Brand New *option for LESS than I could under either the *Like New *or *Very Good *selections! I ended up getting her a new book for less half what I would have paid elsewhere!

While I have saved on everything I have bought at **half.com**, I have saved the most on textbooks. We had to pick up a book for a math class and at the college bookstore it was $120 new and $98 used (plus tax) I found it on **half.com **ranging** **from $1.25 to $98. We ordered a *Very Good *one for $4.00 and with the $3.49 shipping I paid a total of $7.49 - a lot better than over a $100!

They are associated with eBay, which means you can sign in with your eBay user ID and skip filling in all the standard billing and mailing information. I like that but I don't like the fact that even though they are associated with **eBay** they do NOT accept paypal as a form of payment. This means that in order to use the quick checkout, you need to keep a credit card on file.

**Kristy's final viewpoint:**

***Half.com** has a very large inventory where there are some amazing deals to be found I am giving them 4.4 stars which would go to a 5 if they accepted paypal.*

Half.com is just a stripped down ebay.

When Half.com first came out it was just an ebay clone but it has changed some over the years but not really for the better. There are very few categories to shop from and with no more auctions you can not get that 1 cent super deal. Half.com is owned and run by ebay so it should not be surprising that it started out so similar but now in this stripped down version it is almost pointless. It could be just an ebay store on ebay but no it is its own site. You even get search results from ebay when you search on half.com making it really seem more like a webpage that is part of ebay than its own site. I am glad that they changed it so that it was not just the same site with a different name but it does not really offer anything special to make it worth while. The auctions on ebay seem better and I do not really like them either. Half.com is like that local store down the street that you could go to but alwways pass buy to go to the chain mass merchandiser where you can get all the same stuff for cheaper. They do have good service and possible can find something but I do not think it is really worth it.

Do not buy from Half.com.

from Keene, NH

Comments about Half.ebay.com (formerly half.com):

I ordered a textbook for one of my classes. About $110. They emailed me the next day saying they didn't have it in stock and didn't update their website. They had already taken the money out of my account. I needed my refund because I could not afford the book without the money that Half.com had. I tried contacting them multiple times (the only way you can contact is through email), and a robot replied saying a real human would reply in 24-48 hours. I waited. No reply. Emailed again. Same thing. Finally I called Ebay and they told me it could be up to 72 hours before I heard anything (untruthful on the website). A person finally replied saying it would be 24-48 hours before I got my money back. So here I am, still without my money and without my book. They had no problem taking the money in less than 24 hours but all of a sudden there's a problem giving it back within A WEEK. Never buy from here. If I could give it zero stars I would. No respect for customers and no options for customer service. Terrible business.

Half.ebay.com is not seller friendly

from Austin, Texas

Comments about Half.ebay.com (formerly half.com):

They take a fee to sell your book on their website, but I'm not sure what it goes to pay for as their customer service is horrible. I sent in an email to change my bank listing information where they would be sending payments. I got a sketchy phone call more than a few days later from someone claiming they were going to help me change my payment bank account info. This is sketchy at best as the woman did not indicate this was why she was calling. With all the scam artists calling to try to steal info out there they need to train people better on how to reassure people they are calling that who they are and why they are calling. Or maybe send an email indicating how we will know what to expect or to even expect a phone call to begin with. I explained my situation to the agent who did not understand what I was saying. She basically kept repeating herself as if reading from a book indicating how to respond to certain questions. Like talking to a poorly programmed robot. Asked to speak to a supervisor who understood what I was asking but was horribly rigid about the rules. When I explained that my old bank account still exists but is no longer in my name she explained there was nothing they could do and I should call the bank to have them transfer, except my new account is not w/ the same bank. They said the system is automated and there is nothing they can do. I asked to speak to her supervisor (we are 2 levels up now) and at least got someone how was willing to admit that something else could be done. Looked and claimed there wasn't anything he can do. As someone who used to work for major company's in customer service there is always something you can do in a system. Maybe it requires a certain supervisor passcode or a special work around in the system but there is always something. They said I should talk to the person who has the bank account, but given that I am paying them a fee to use their service I shouldn't have to. And not to mention not everyone would be a

HALF.COM

from Boston, MA

Comments about Half.ebay.com (formerly half.com):

Site has many technical problems, plus they say they have coupons but good luck actually using them.

the best place for books and movies

Comments about Half.ebay.com (formerly half.com):

Half.com is my go-to site for books and dvds. I buy most of my books and movies here, and they've helped me find hard to get items. Of my six seasons of JAG, I bought five from Half.com for much less than the other sites I checked. it's my favorite website. I've built my library for a fraction of the cost I would have paid elsewhere. I've never had to return an item, and everything has been in the promised condition or better. I often get my books and movies for a dollar or less, plus shipping. If you buy more items from the same seller, you also save on shipping costs. Everything is broken up by condition and they outline for you what qualitues an item must posses in order to be considered a certain condition. Another neat feature is the wishlist. If there's an item you want that is out of stock, or pricier than you'd like, you can add it to your wishlist and set a maximum price and minimum condition and they will email you as soon as a match is posted. They really are awesome. I also like that there's no bidding or waiting. I can just pick what I want and checkout.

Great for Books

from Utah

Comments about Half.ebay.com (formerly half.com):

Personally, most of my experience with half.ebay.com comes in buying books rather than other products. I have looked at other products, but not bought as many as I have bought of books. But on books, I have found some amazing deals on both used and new books. The site is easy to navigate, and is extremely easy to sort through possible matches for a particular book (seeing the seller, price, condition of the book, etc). The info on each seller is very clear and easy to find, as well as the ratings of their past sales. I appreciate being able to see how many ratings a particular seller has had as well as the average rating, since it gives me a good idea about the longevity and reliability of the seller. I have also found the condition for used books to be very accurate. Depending on the book, I am sometimes looking for one in very good condition and sometimes do not care if it is quite worn. In buying both newer and more worn books, I have found the description of the book that I bought to be very accurate.

Never received payment for my books.

from Blackwell, OK

Comments about Half.ebay.com (formerly half.com):

I will never shop Half.com again. I am a huge book fan and buy several books a week, either from Half.com, eBay, Amazon and similar sites. I also sale books online, mostly textbooks as I usually buy different kinds of books that I know will sell. I have sold textbooks to Half.com at least three or four times and have usually gotten paid when I sent them my books. However, the last time I sent my books to them I never received the payment for my books. I emailed them repeatedly and have gotten nowhere, as they just give me the run-around telling me the money is on the way which it never is. It has been almost three months since I sent them the textbooks, plenty of time for them to send me my payment. Not only this, but I also lost more money on these books as I bought them specifically because I knew I could resell them and make a decent profit from the sale. Now not only will I never sell my books to them, but I will never buy another item from them either. I highly recommend anyone to not send your used books to this place. They may pay you at first, but then they will wait until you send them a large selection and not pay you for it. I have lost money before when I shipped my books to Powell books, but I didn't think Half.com would do this. I considered them a good company, but I should have known better because eBay only cares about making money, not their customers. It seems Half.com is even worse than their sister company!

Half the price

Comments about Half.ebay.com (formerly half.com):

I have been buying virtually ninety five percent of my graduate books here, and it has been very congenial so far. Of course one would expect the infrequent hiccups like the books are not as described. When that transpired, I asked the book seller if the erroneous version had been sent (for example, a book that is only of an "acceptable" condition charged for the one I bought at "Very Good"). And I got my mazuma back. Everything was done professionally. There are so many book sellers and you have a high chance of getting what you optate.Another good thing about this website is you can pre-order the book(s) you require by verbalizing the price you are disposed to pay. Once it is available, you will be apprised. On the down side it takes forever to receive your book. I purchased a book and It has surmounted 3 weeks yet still my books have not arrived. I called customer accommodation and the representative assuredly authoritatively mandated me to wait it out.

Great site to find text books.

from Toledo, OH

Comments about Half.ebay.com (formerly half.com):

I have both shopped and sold items on half.ebay.com. It is affiliated with ebay but they only sell media such as books, movies, television shows, music. You can find a lot of text books on the site which is usually what I am buying or selling. You can search for books using the ISBN number so it’s easy to make sure you are getting the right book. It is pretty regulated, or maybe safeguarded, in as much as I feel safe buying and selling on it. You can also rent items from the site. They do hold your money if you sell something until the beginning of the following month. So if you want to be paid instantly when you sell probably not the site for you. I have never had any issues with anything that I have bought off of this site. This site is similar to ebay in as much as you are actually buying from other people or companies and half.com is the medium used to sell and purchase. If you are selling an item and are unsure of pricing, the site actually shows you what that items sold for last which is a great help in figuring out what you want to sell yours for.

Depends on what you are looking for!

Comments about Half.ebay.com (formerly half.com):

Half.ebay.com is now owned by Ebay so the deals are not as great as they used to be. If you are looking for some rare books or movies you may have luck on this site but since Ebay has taken over, most sales favor the buyer and not the seller if a problem arises. There used to be more categories of items before the merger and now it's mostly books, movies, video games and CD's. Easier to just use Ebay.com outright or amazon.com as you will get some semblance of customer service, good, bad or otherwise but as with any purchase, sight unseen, Caveat Emptor! Let the Buyer Beware! I have scored a couple of deals on a couple of movies I was in search of but didn't find a deal on the video games I was seeking. Disappointed but I did find on ebay.com so your experience will depend on what you are looking for.

Half.com sold textbook not in stock

Comments about Half.ebay.com (formerly half.com):

Just used half.com to buy a college textbook. The seller didn't have the book and half.com sent an email telling me to expect the refund immediately. They also offered me the equivalent of almost $5 off my original cost by offering me a discount on a more expensive version of the same textbook. Turns out my refund is on hold at Paypal because I paid via the checking account associated with my Paypal account and the banks take time to process each transaction. The money has been paid (not pending) from my checking account but all total it will take about a week for the money to be returned into my bank account. Busy moms trying to save money on textbooks don't have time for this half.com!!!