3.8
PRO 2
HTC Touch Pro2 Smartphone

HTC Touch Pro2 Smartphone

3.8

Fully customizable, it balances work and play nicely

The Touch Pro 2 by HTC is a solid device made to balance work and play. Despite having a smaller processor than the HTC HD2, this is a powerhouse device. It can easily juggle a busy schedule, text messaging, emails, and internet use. It is capable of playing movies and music with clarity of picture and sound. The built-in GPS makes searching for directions a breeze, and with BING, free vocal turn-by-turn is just a click away.

As a busy mom I live by a schedule and alarms. I can set multiple appointments and alarms for upcoming events and always stay on task. With built-in games and full media functions, it keeps the kids happy while we wait for appointments or in line at the bank.

The battery life is fantastic on the Touch Pro 2. I have had marathon conversations without worrying that my call will drop or that I will need to frantically plug my phone into the charger before I am done talking.

The slide out full QWERTY keyboard is well thought out. It has designated number keys, the ability to quickly insert symbols, and is fat finger friendly. The screen tilts upwards when the keyboard slider is out. This helps on sunny days. The on-screen keyboard is precise and makes sending out a quick text a breeze.

Being Windows Mobile it is fully customizable, including the ability to unlock the device and flash a custom made rom to it. You can't do that with an iPhone!! It is also capable of a dual boot into Windows Mobile or Android via a customized rom. You won't find that option on a Blackberry or iPhone, and while droid based devices can be customized to a point, you cannot make them your own the way you can with Windows Mobile. ***NOTE**, **before attempting to make any modifications, please consult your warranty and be sure you understand what you are doing!!**

I have had mine for a year now and am pleased with it. It has been dropped a few times, even left outside overnight once, and I have never had any issues with it. This is a rock solid device that is both fun and business savvy. It is a phone, social organizer, business tool, media player and so much more including a wireless router if you have internet attached to your cell plan!!

The only shortcomings this device has is that there is only an onscreen camera "clicker" button which makes taking self-portraits difficult. A designated camera "clicker" would be nice in this instance. Also the camera does not have a flash, so night-time photos are out of the question unless you have external lighting.

The AT&T TIlt Smartphone was a good "first" touchscreen phone

I bought my first ever touch screen cell phone about 3 years ago. The AT&T Tilt Smartphone was what was recommended to me by the saleman at the Cingular store. I wanted a phone that I could text on and since I have big fingers I wanted a "keyboard" to type on and I hate the blackberry buttons because they are way too small for me. I wanted a phone that could play music since I have to have my tunes with me at all times. I wanted a touch screen since that seemed way cooler than what I had at the time. I wanted a camera on it so that I could get the kodak moments that disappear before I can run and grab my camera. And finally I wanted a phone that had the calendar feature. The phone was more expensive than what I wanted to spend but with the features it seemed worth it.

I have enjoyed my phone for the most part. My favorite things about it would be the writing "pen" that comes with it so I can write notes to myself instead of having to type it out, I can use the handwriting recognition feature and write with the little "pen" when I'm texting if I don't feel like having to type it all out, I can set my phone to speak the Caller ID out loud so I can know who is calling me when I'm not near my phone, and most of all I love the battery life when left on stand by. I don't always use my phone a lot and when that happens I don't have to charge it but every other day. Which is awesome! But when I do use the different aps, such as the music player, it does guzzle the battery very quickly.

Here are the things that have disappointed me: it is too heavy, too bulky, it is slow moving between applications, they don't sell a fitted cover for it so you have to buy a generic case that you slide the phone in, it sometimes freezes where I had to remove the battery to "reboot" it, the camera does not take really clear pictures, the camera takes too long to take pictures, and there is no flash for the camera so you have to have the light just so. I also had to buy an external memory stick because the internal memory doesn't hold much at all.

I have been looking to upgrade but I haven't done it yet because: I don't want to have to pay for a data plan, my sister always mutes me when she is talking to me on her iphone (with her face), the cost of new phones, and lastly because the reviews are so mixed it is hard to know for sure which one is best. So I guess with all that said I love my phone enough to not just trade it in for anything until I am sure it will treat me as good as this 3 year old phone has.

Great multipurpose phone

from Portland, OR

Comments about HTC Touch Pro2 Smartphone:

This is a GREAT phone, especially if you are operating a small business with it. The ONLY thing to remember, it is WINDOWS based, so just like your computer at home, it has a tendency to slow down and freeze for a moment or two. If you are looking for all the 'now' apps out there, this is NOT the phone for you.

• Battery Life:
  • Display/Screen Quality:
  • Call Quality:

HTC Touch Pro 2 is not so great

from Columbus, OH

Comments about HTC Touch Pro2 Smartphone:

The HTC Touch Pro 2 cell phone is not so great. I was very excited when I first purchased this cell phone. I really like having the variety of options for input.. ie., the qwarty keyboard, touch pad and the slide out keyboard. It also has handwriting recognition with the stylus and this is very nice. This phone doesn't seem to be equipped to handle very many applications. I tried to download a few fun applications but most of them are not compatible with this particular phone. The applications run very, very slow on the HTC Touch Pro 2. I've had this phone replaced twice since my initial purchase a year ago. One of the reasons I purchased this phone was to be able to download and use the Skype application. Shortly after my purchase, Skype removed the mobile application for windows based OS phones. The camera is ok. It does not have a camera flash. I am not very happy with this particular phone and I am counting the days until I receive my upgrade or new phone option from my cellular provider.

Gets the job done

from The Colony, TX

Comments about HTC Touch Pro2 Smartphone:

Overall the HTC Touch Pro2 does what it needs to do - it allows you make phone calls, check email, and text message.  Though there are many other phones out there that can do the same thing.

I have had this phone for about eight months and I am in need of a replacement or at least to have the screen replaced. The Touch Pro2 does seem to run a lot cooler than the first version, it still seems to heat up enough to cause the screen to fail prematurely.

Outside of screen problems (just make sure you have the insurance) this phone has a lot of great features. The screen is large and bright and is very responsive.  I have large fingers but have no problems with the screen picking up where I am trying to touch.  The phone slides out to reveal a full size keyboard and the screen will also flip up at an angle to allow easier viewing while typing.

The software on the phone is Windows Mobile 6.5 which is stable though HTC has loaded their Touch-Flo software on top of it which seems to really bloat the system and slow things down.  This version of the OS has been replaced with Windows Phone 7 which is leaps and bounds ahead in EVERY way.

Call quality is good and the speaker phone is loud enough to actually use.

Best Keyboard on the Market

from Chattanooga, TN

Pros

Cons

Comments about HTC Touch Pro2 Smartphone:

Hands down this has the best two keyboards on the market with the ultimate design. The onscreen is not overly sensitive and the response reacts from where you place your finger or stylus - not beside it or above it. The calibration is great and has only needed one re-calibration in a year.

The best way to describe this device is that it is like talking on the world's smallest netbook. I have presented Powerpoints at school from it and written, edited and then submitted via email all in one spot...I love this device!

The keyboard will prove helpful!

from Trenton, NJ

Comments about HTC Touch Pro2 Smartphone:

I own the HTC Touch Pro 2 with service provided by T-mobile, and I have owned it for over a year now. I have to say that I still love it just as much as I did the day that I got it. What I found to be the most helpful feature of this product is the keyboard. And along with the keyboard, the windows mobile features were just as helpful. Those two features together are what have stopped me from trying to get a newer phone. I have typed up essays of over 8 pages because of the easy use keyboard. I can not even began to put effort into doing that on a full touch phone. At first the phone seemed a little on the plus size as of weight, but as technology furthers, this has quickly become a small phone. It is almost a perfect phone, but there are some things holding it back. For example, this phone has so many features that you can run that it seems like it is doing too much at once. That sometimes makes the screen seem to jump from one thing to another unsmoothly. And I don't understand how this phone with such a good camera can not have flash. I really love this phone and I hope that the keypads don't become exstinct because typed full page documents on a full touch is dreadful.

Touch Pro2 is good, but pricey!

from Villa Rica, GA

Comments about HTC Touch Pro2 Smartphone:

The HTC Touch Pro2 is a good phone but I've had some problems with mine. Thankfully, I didn't have to pay full price for it because my work paid for most of it, but if I had the chance to go back and get another one, I would. I didn't start having issues with it until about 3 months in. The phone would freeze up and would not turn off. I would have to take the battery out and wait for a few minutes to put the battery back in and then start the phone back up.  Also, there would be times when I would slide the screen up to use the keyboard and the screen would just go blank. I wuold push a button to see if the phone would light back up and nothing would happen. I would push the power button and still nothing would happen. I would then have to take the battery out and then start the whole process over again. It was time consuming! The microphone also went out on the phone and I had to go have it repaired. Once it was repaired, it went out again only 2 days later. Thankfully my phone was still under warranty and I was able to get a new one, but I'm definitely in the market for a new phone. Others may have better luck with the phone than I have, but I'm not sure I would really recommend it to anyone. I had an iPhone before this one, and I wouldn't go back to the iPhone. I do like all of the features  the Touch Pro2 has to offer though.

Great Smartphone HTC Touch Pro2

from Glen Oaks, NY

Comments about HTC Touch Pro2 Smartphone:

I have used this phone for about 6 months last year and thought it was a very nice phone.

I upgraded from a much simpler Samsung phone which had very light web browsing, email look up capabilities.

The really good things about this phone include having an actual keyboard to type with rather than using the numeric keypad. Its gets the job of texting a lot easier. The screen is very big, almost the entire length and width of the phone itself is the screen. I liked the apps you can get for it from the windows marketplace site. Apps for many things were available, although not nearly as much as there is for Apple and probably Android now. It had nice features such as bluetooth, good camera, and its touch screen interface was also smooth, but once again not as smooth as the Iphone's.

The few disappointments include it being a bit on the bulky side. It was a bit heavy and also bigger compared to my previous phone and felt uneasy about that. Although this phone has amazing features, it was a bit over for me and i ended up going back to my old phone.

So its a pretty good phone, just not for those who don't crave technology like me.

A Solid Phone which require plenty of PATIENCE

from Houston, TX

Comments about HTC Touch Pro2 Smartphone:

Patience is a Virtue is the perfect description for the TP2. I have gotten this phone for about 8 months now as an upgrade from Sprint. It was one of the early few smartphone choices for us SERO users.  This was my first Window phone since the previous smartphone I own was the ancient Palm 755p.  Out of the box I was overwhelmed with the functions and more importantly the user instructions. The phone itself is not very user-friendly.  Another knock on it was the old 6.1 system that it was shipped with…Quite ancient you may say.  However, after finally able to upgrade to 6.5 and do some customization with the phone, it has surpassed all my expectation s.  The phone originally came with really lousy battery settings, quite slow and unresponsive.  I upgrade the system to the latest 6.5.  I went online and search for battery setting and modifications that I could do (without voiding the warranty) to improve on the phone’s responsiveness and battery life.  After several searches and multiple reads, I was able to get the phone to where I wanted it…snappy, responsive, and best of all, the battery lasted a whole day worth of work. So for those who want to get this phone…the key is PATIENCE …You will need it to use this phone to its full potential.

htc touch pro 2 is pretty good but failed cause of window 6.5

from Temple City, CA

Comments about HTC Touch Pro2 Smartphone:

This was my second smart phone. My first was a nokia n78, which was decent. This was considered by me as a upgrade to my last one. It was recommended by cnet.com so i jumped on it. I bought it straight out without contract of subsidization from any carriers. At first I thought that it was pretty cool phone with a plus of physical keyboard that made texting very easy. However, with much use i notice that the resistive touch screen is terrible. It was really very hard to maneuver around the touch screen with this type of touch screen. The stylus that came with the cellphone was hardly used. It was pointless. I guess i made the mistake that am not really a business person and this is considered a business phone. However, i do not really see the benefits that it had toward business use. Window 6.5 is terrible compared to the android os that i use now. It could not sync to anything so you had a brick in hand that basically served no purpose.

eh...only decent

from New York, NY

Pros

Cons

Comments about HTC Touch Pro2 Smartphone:

mechanics of the phone is nice

the software isnt that great

the phone lags

i had to take off the sense to make it less buggy

the battery life isnt that great

theres no flash

the clock and bttery life doesnt show on the tskbar all the time